What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1977 - Part II A New Hope DONE- Top 10 Sex Pistols, Meco, Rocky, Kraftwerk, Saints, Marvin Gaye, JM Jarre, Stranglers, John Williams & Stevie Wonder (2 Viewers)

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

It’s probably a bit rich to say this band had as much influence as Velvet Underground, but are we in the same ballpark?
Every year you see a greatest albums of all time list, Pink Flag....which features Mannequin, is getting higher and higher. When i researched on songs for here, Mannequin kept appearing very high. Better give it a relisten. Well after a few listens, all i hear is the entire indie music scene from 1990-2010 on it lol

It's pretty incredible that they could go from Peaches to something like All Roads Lead To Rome (which I also love). Not too many proto-punk artists made transitions like that.

that tune always always got me wondering who were influenced by who ... was it Elfman (Oingo Boingo) biting off the Stranglers, or were it the Stranglers riffing off of Elfman (Oingo Boingo)?

:shrug:

anyways ... one band that came close to such transition were definitely the Jam, what with the Modfather portending his Style Council iteration with this smooove departure from their (Jam) usual kick in the balls output.

different styles, but certainly a seismic move away from '77
I think several members were taking copious amounts of Heroin in this era. Then they write a song about it in Golden Brown, probably several others.

It's pretty incredible that they could go from Peaches to something like All Roads Lead To Rome (which I also love). Not too many proto-punk artists made transitions like that.

that tune always always got me wondering who were influenced by who ... was it Elfman (Oingo Boingo) biting off the Stranglers, or were it the Stranglers riffing off of Elfman (Oingo Boingo)?

:shrug:

anyways ... one band that came close to such transition were definitely the Jam, what with the Modfather portending his Style Council iteration with this smooove departure from their (Jam) usual kick in the balls output.

different styles, but certainly a seismic move away from '77
I think several members were taking copious amounts of Heroin in this era. Then they write a song about it in Golden Brown, probably several others.

i recall featuring that in a thread here some years ago, and somebody asked "when did the Stranglers turn into the Doors?"

:lmao:

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

It’s probably a bit rich to say this band had as much influence as Velvet Underground, but are we in the same ballpark?
Every year you see a greatest albums of all time list, Pink Flag....which features Mannequin, is getting higher and higher. When i researched on songs for here, Mannequin kept appearing very high. Better give it a relisten. Well after a few listens, all i hear is the entire indie music scene from 1990-2010 on it lol

i'd have to say they're right up there with Joy Division, in regards to the influential soundscapes of that particular era ... they moved in very rarefied air, certainly falling into the more "arty" (for lack of better) niche than the Mancunians.

"Chairs Missing" was their subsequent release ('78), and i had never heard anything like this which kinda skews me to citing that platter as a personal preference over PF, but both are legendary touchstones, and i kno we have a coupla/few Wire honks up on here who may wax a bit more eloquently than i on their genius.

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

i'd have to say they're right up there with Joy Division, in regards to the influential soundscapes of that particular era ... they moved in very rarefied air, certainly falling into the more "arty" (for lack of better) niche than the Mancunians.

"Chairs Missing" was their subsequent release ('78), and i had never heard anything like this which kinda skews me to citing that platter as a personal preference over PF, but both are legendary touchstones, and i kno we have a coupla/few Wire honks up on here who may wax a bit more eloquently than i on their genius.
Joy Division -> New Order is another example of proto punks who made a pretty interesting transition in style over the years.

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

Joy Division -> New Order is another example of proto punks who made a pretty interesting transition in style over the years.

Hookie & Bernard were such a dynamic pairing ... to rise from those immolating JD ashes, to subsequently carve out a niche in another stratosphere altogether is unprecedented ... for as loved as they are, i still believe them severely underrated - and while not always my cuppa, there's no denying the enormous impact they had.

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

Hookie & Bernard were such a dynamic pairing ... to rise from those immolating JD ashes, to subsequently carve out a niche in another stratosphere altogether is unprecedented ... for as loved as they are, i still believe them severely underrated - and while not always my cuppa, there's no denying the enormous impact they had.
One of my favorite bands all time (I see Joy Divison and New Order as continuous, but maybe that's cheating), I think they're very underrated and were very influential too.

Next up, with 3 Australian songs left, we see 2 Australian bands.
Might be a quiet day lol.
One almost certainly you havent heard of. Amazingly it was the only Australian song to make the top 10 in 1977, reaching number 2. A dire year in Aussie music.

The other was more long term and a Vanda/Young productiom. Like with Rose Tattoo, Guns N Roses were big fans of this harder rock act. They did have 3 albums that got to around 150 on the Billboard album charts.. This was their debut single and it only reached #58, but the song and its fans had other ideas.

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

One of my favorite bands all time (I see Joy Divison and New Order as continuous, but maybe that's cheating), I think they're very underrated and were very influential too.

Chairs Missing" was their subsequent release ('78), and i had never heard anything like this which kinda skews me to citing that platter as a personal preference over PF, but both are legendary touchstone
Yes, that one caught my ear like nothing else in 1978.

i was just wetting the beak with stuff like "Sedated" and the Clash single released here "I Fought the Law" ... was still a more wee OTB in '78 - once i dove in feet first and caught up, "Fly" was one that popped me eyes out (circa early 80s)

GREAT companion piece to the remarkable lead bass beaut laid down by Jerry Only

Helen Delarmbe ... Francois

#14 - Ferrets - Don’t Fall In Love
#3 Out of 10 - Australia

Probably a bit high for this one, especially if you dont know it. This song was the only Australian based to make the top 10 for the entire year of 1977. It reached number 2 and ended the year as one of the highest selling singles. Its quite simplistic, but catchy and unusual. The band pretty much disappeared after this as well. So although not technically a one hit wonder in Australia, they may as well have been.

#13 - The Angels - Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again
#2 Out of 10 - Australia

Now to a favorite of Guns N Roses. Like with Rose Tattoo, the Angels were a staple of supporting the Gunners. The Angels however became one of Australias most prominent and long lived rock bands behind only AC/DC who werent really Aussie if you are being fair dinkum. This was their starting point. Like a lot of bands with an edge they had the excellent tuterlege of the Vanda and Young production team. This song sounds like a cover of a well known song, but its an original. It only reached #58 on its release, but its shelf life was long. After that band found success with later releases like Take a Long Line, Shadow Boxer, No Secrets and Into the Heat. Like with a lot of Australian bands the debut single resonates but fails to chart. Cold Chisels most known song down under is Khe Sahn. It barely cracked the top 50. Am I ever Gonna See you face again got rereleased as a live track in 1988. By now Australian fans had a riposte to the title when sung of “No Way, Get ****ed, **** Off”. Not poets the Aussie fans lol. It originated as a school disco response and spread to the concerts of the Angels and now its mandatory to include. The live release included it too.NSFW It is now ranked as an Aussie classic.

Next up we have our last 2 before the top 10.
They are two of the biggest names in music history. We have seen one on our list before. The other we havent seen.
Both will be the last in their categories, International and Mainstream/other

That means out top 10 will consist of
3 - Instrumental/Soundtrack
2 - Punk
2 - Electronic
2 - Black
1 - Australia

#12 - David Bowie - Sound and Vision
#1 Out of 18 - Mainstream/Other

The Low album from David Bowie was one of the most influential albums of all time. Always one step ahead of the crowd, Bowie set to work in Berlin with Brian Eno to challenge himself once more. The result is the masterpiece Low. The record company shat itself and worried it wouldnt sell. Sound and Vision was the obvious single and even it didnt exactly scream hit. Once again Bowie knew what he was doing and remained the artist other musicians looked up to.

#12 - David Bowie - Sound and Vision
#1 Out of 18 - Mainstream/Other

The Low album from David Bowie was one of the most influential albums of all time. Always one step ahead of the crowd, Bowie set to work in Berlin with Brian Eno to challenge himself once more. The result is the masterpiece Low. The record company shat itself and worried it wouldnt sell. Sound and Vision was the obvious single and even it didnt exactly scream hit. Once again Bowie knew what he was doing and remained the artist other musicians looked up to.

my favorite Bowie album, no question ... really helped shape the Goth and avant post-punk landscape - "Warszawa" and "Breaking Glass" are the two standouts for me, but this one is right up there ... it packs such an otherwordly punch.

criminally underrated album, not only in his catalog, but by any general standard, as well.

#11 - Bob Marley and the Wailers - Exodus
#1 Out of 12 - International

Bob Marley took a long time to break internationally, but when he did the floodgates opened up. After recording 51 singles in the 60s and only one album, Marley couldnt break through until Get Up Stand Up, followed by I Shot the Sheriff in 1973 got airplay. He probably didnt get the respect he deserved until after he died, but left a huge catalog fir people to trawl through. Exodus is one of the great moments in his career and rightfully deserves a high place here.

#11 - Bob Marley and the Wailers - Exodus
#1 Out of 12 - International

Bob Marley took a long time to break internationally, but when he did the floodgates opened up. After recording 51 singles in the 60s and only one album, Marley couldnt break through until Get Up Stand Up, followed by I Shot the Sheriff in 1973 got airplay. He probably didnt get the respect he deserved until after he died, but left a huge catalog fir people to trawl through. Exodus is one of the great moments in his career and rightfully deserves a high place here.
Marley, while he was alive, had a weird presence in the U.S. He got very little airplay on mainstream radio stations. Black radio wouldn't touch him. Free-form progressive (which was his natural fit) was dying out by the time he started releasing his top-shelf stuff. Almost all of his fame came from college radio in the mid-70s & word-of-mouth. And he WAS famous then - he was selling out the same arenas the Stones and Floyd were - but he wasn't having the radio success others were. I think part of the problem was that Americans then had a hard time understanding Jamaican accents even though Marley was the most "American"-sounding singer in all of reggae. Also, many American-born blacks did not like black West Indians at all; I don't recall the cultural reasons for this, but it was true.

You know what I think broke him big here? The Police having a monster hit with "Roxanne". All of a sudden, Marley's getting widespread play on the New Wave radio channels that were popping up.

Next up start the top 10
First we have the artist that defines 1977 for me and although this track didnt make Tims list, its an absolute ripper. A big middle finger at an institution

After that we finally get back the soundtrack/instrumental category with an unusual take on an iconic moment in music history. It took the charts by storm too, staying at number one for two weeks. Would have stayed longer except the song that replaced it was an absolute juggernaut

#10 - Sex Pistols - E.M.I.
#2 Out of 13 - Punk

When it comes to sneering vocals with a big FU it is impossible to go past Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols. This however runs it close. Not as good a song, but it holds up on its own two feet very well. Lydon is at brutal best as he unloads on the record company that made a big splash signing without understanding what they were getting. Surprised there wasnt a lawsuit to be honest. E.M.I does not come out smelling of roses. The last 40 seconds seals it with a high spot here as they ratchet up the intensity to close out the song.

#9 - Meco - Star Wars Theme
#3 - Soundtrack/Instrumental

I debated whether the John Williams version or the Meco version deserved this ranking. Ended up giving it to Meco cause the disco is quite fun and charted higher, landing at #1 for 2 weeks. It would have been longer but bloody Debbie Boone came up along with her self pyromaniacal relationship with god. Meco had an interesting career piggying back off all the sci fi movies and disco funkifying them up. Managed to land a few of these albums myself and they are a hoot. I havent read the thought process behind Meco upping the tempo and adding a disco beat to the iconic film tune. Might make for interesting reading.

#2 Out of 13 - Punk

When it comes to sneering vocals with a big FU it is impossible to go past Pretty Vacant by the Sex Pistols. This however runs it close. Not as good a song, but it holds up on its own two feet very well. Lydon is at brutal best as he unloads on the record company that made a big splash signing without understanding what they were getting. Surprised there wasnt a lawsuit to be honest. E.M.I does not come out smelling of roses. The last 40 seconds seals it with a high spot here as they ratchet up the intensity to close out the song.

interesting, yet inspired, choice as the top selection on this countdown from "Bollox"

it's a great Jonesy vehicle, too ... him & Matlock could fashion some awfully expressive guitar licks, and there's a ton of 'em here.

the great thing about it, tho, was how properly incensed Johhny were, and how he lived it long after the Pistols/Punk expired on the Winterland stage in January of '78 ... he coulda bagged a ton of coin by continuing on as the Pied Piper of the punx, but he chose to eschew all that noise, and opted instead for indulging his love of dub and space and avant song construction ... he went outta his way with PiL to buck what were considered conventional, even for the punks - never really bent the knee.

he lived it all the way thru, and never compromised ... and i thought it spectacular that when finances, mostly due to his wife Nora's illnesses (the mom of Ari Up of the Slits) got tight, that he went back and mined the Pistols legacy ... far from a sellout at all, he plundered that s*** for all that it owed him.

my choice as the top off this album woulda been "Bodies", by far ... i find it most emblematic of what their existence personified ... i've grown kinda weary of "GStQ" and "PV" - but "Bodies" never loses it's visceral gut punch.

"EMI" is up there, too ... nice pick.

#2 Out of 13 - Punk

interesting, yet inspired, choice as the top selection on this countdown from "Bollox"

it's a great Jonesy vehicle, too ... him & Matlock could fashion some awfully expressive guitar licks, and there's a ton of 'em here.

the great thing about it, tho, was how properly incensed Johhny were, and how he lived it long after the Pistols/Punk expired on the Winterland stage in January of '78 ... he coulda bagged a ton of coin by continuing on as the Pied Piper of the punx, but he chose to eschew all that noise, and opted instead for indulging his love of dub and space and avant song construction ... he went outta his way with PiL to buck what were considered conventional, even for the punks - never really bent the knee.

he lived it all the way thru, and never compromised ... and i thought it spectacular that when finances, mostly due to his wife Nora's illnesses (the mom of Ari Up of the Slits) got tight, that he went back and mined the Pistols legacy ... far from a sellout at all, he plundered that s*** for all that it owed him.

my choice as the top off this album woulda been "Bodies", by far ... i find it most emblematic of what their existence personified ... i've grown kinda weary of "GStQ" and "PV" - but "Bodies" never loses it's visceral gut punch.

Tim had Holidays, Pretty Vacant and God Save the queen, so they were out. Anarchy was 1976, although given my methodology I could have easily included. I was limiting multiple picks per artist, otherwise the list lacks variety. As I had Pretty Vacant in the 120-111 section, just a bit rich to include Bodies. If I did it probably lands in the same spot to be honest. Its a better song, but I just love the punch in the mouth EMI delivers.

One punk song left, what will it be?

#2 Out of 13 - Punk

Tim had Holidays, Pretty Vacant and God Save the queen, so they were out. Anarchy was 1976, although given my methodology I could have easily included. I was limiting multiple picks per artist, otherwise the list lacks variety. As I had Pretty Vacant in the 120-111 section, just a bit rich to include Bodies. If I did it probably lands in the same spot to be honest. Its a better song, but I just love the punch in the mouth EMI delivers.

One punk song left, what will it be?

huh, i totally whiffed on "Holidays" ... need more caffeine, i guess - second to "Bodies" for me, no doubt.

man, was that album incredible - what a fascinating love letter to mid 70s Great Britain.

i am gonna have to go back thru to form a proper guess to myself about top punk tune here ... think i may have an idea where you're going, but im'ma double back anyways.

Next up as we get closer to the top
We start with another track that comes from the Instrumental/Soundtrack category. Now it may have missed Tims list due to its release date of december 1976. But this track did not gather steam until well into 1977. It dudnt chart until april 1977 and it didnt peak until July.1977.

After that the opening track of one the great albums of all time. Its in the electronic category, so not for everyones taste.

#8 - Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)
#2 - Instrumental/Soundtrack

This track was released the same week of the movie, early december 1976. As the movie gathered steam, the theme song started gaining traction and entered the charts in April 1977. It peaked at number one in July of 1977, so if that doesnt indicate a 1977 song, I dont know what does. Over 45 years later the theme still stirs boxing fans and is about as well known a theme song as there is. In the conversation at least anyway. Gets the blood pumping. Now im off to down half a dozen raw eggs

#8 - Bill Conti - Gonna Fly Now (Theme from Rocky)
#2 - Instrumental/Soundtrack

This track was released the same week of the movie, early december 1976. As the movie gathered steam, the theme song started gaining traction and entered the charts in April 1977. It peaked at number one in July of 1977, so if that doesnt indicate a 1977 song, I dont know what does. Over 45 years later the theme still stirs boxing fans and is about as well known a theme song as there is. In the conversation at least anyway. Gets the blood pumping. Now im off to down half a dozen raw eggs
Maynard Ferguson cut a version that chased this one up and down the charts - never caught up, though. It's a little jazzier than Conti's.

You could play the opening fanfare of this record anywhere in the world today and I doubt you'd find anyone who doesn't know it.

#7 - Kraftwerk - Europe Endless
#2 - Electronic

Now Tim picking Trans Europe Express for his list, ruins my number 1 pick for the year 1977. This is a very able replacement. This 9 minute sweeping epic is a journey into the future of electronic music. Most of synth pop since owes its heritage to this band. For all the artists that influenced the next generation, Kraftwerk stands at the head of the queue. The influencers Influencer. Trans Europe Express is seen at the root of dance, hip hop and several other genres. Europe Endless set the scene for synth bands over the next 40 years to aim for perfection. If you cannot find emotion in this music, thats a shame. John Foxx of Ultravox! fame calls the synthesizer Urban blues music.

#15 - Wire - Mannequin
#1 out of 18 - New Wave

It is a bit rich, and we're probably in a minor league park compared to a major league one, but you're spot-on about this particular song encapsulating most of the indie scene from '90-'10. When I first got into this record in the early aughts (I'd heard the recording a few times but never fully got into it because I loved my guitars and distortion sweeping while these were angular and distorted in spurts), I remember thinking how in particular it had influenced many bands the way the backing vocals are structured. A simple "Ooohoooh" sort of became a template for a lot of bands that were rolling along in a song to give it an ethereal substance, as it were.

Anyway, #15 is quite the honor for this band.

#2 Out of 13 - Punk

A different day, and you're generally going to get a different vote for a favorite Pistols song from me. This is among them.

Unlimited editon
WIth an unlimited supply
That's was the only reason
We all had to say goodbye

Next up.
We finish the Australia category and have our second last Black song.

The Australia song is punk, so there is essentially two punk songs left, but this one landed in the Oz section.

The black song is from one of the most revered artists of all time and this is a cracker. It has such an interesting history, from its reluctant creator who refused to do a disco tune, right up to the influence this track had and the future hits that basically copied it. I am actually kind of annoyed I didnt rank it #1.

I am actually kind of annoyed I didnt rank it #1.

When the write-up and the influence flowing from is greater or better than the one you picked number one, it's a drag, isn't it?

I think the best song write-up I had in the punk countdown (and probably the track I pulled for the most) I did was number seven and there were also some really good tracks that got spotty write-ups along the way.

It was a punk song from the little-loved punk era of '93, but it was worth every syllable typed into this ether.

Next up.

The Australia song is punk, so there is essentially two punk songs left, but this one landed in the Oz section.

ok, think i definitely got it - i hinted about this one in the current "where in the world" countdown.

let's see ...
This?
#6 - The Saints - (I’m) Stranded
#1 - Australia

Ok. Taking some liberties here. Not really. Theres a lot of 1976 in this track, but hear me out or go to plan b).
This track preceeded the punk movement and was heavily influenced by the Ramones. It was seen as a huge influence on the scene exploding underneath the waves. Another band from Brisbane, they couldnt get arrested or even find places to gig when this was released. Struggling to find an audience they moved to the UK where it was picked picked up by influential rock critics and rereleased in early 1977. Seen as the band to watch they didnt really fit the look and although their sound was hugely popular they just fit a niche. Stranded, like most Australian classics wasnt understood or appreciated in its day. It frequently is seen in lists of greatest Australian songs of all time. Not bad for a song that peaked at #98 in early 1977

Plan B - This Perfect Day
This got released at the height of punk and gave the band their only charting UK single.mit has a sense of urgency and worth a mention on this list. Obviously Stranded kicks its arse.

Last edited:
Next up.

ok, think i definitely got it - i hinted about this one in the current "where in the world" countdown.

let's see ...
This?
#7 - The Saints - (I’m) Stranded
#1 - Australia

Ok. Taking some liberties here. Not really. Theres a lot of 1976 in this track, but hear me out or go to plan b).
This track preceeded the punk movement and was heavily influenced by the Ramones. It was seen as a huge influence on the scene exploding underneath the waves. Another band from Brisbane, they couldnt get arrested or even find places to gig when this was released. Struggling to find an audience they moved to the UK where it was picked picked up by influential rock critics and rereleased in early 1977. Seen as the band to watch they didnt really fit the look and although their sound was hugely popular they just fit a niche. Stranded, like most Australian classics wasnt understood or appreciated in its day. It frequently is seen in lists of greatest Australian songs of all time. Not bad for a song that peaked at #98 in early 1977

Plan B - This Perfect Day
This got released at the height of punk and gave the band their only charting UK single.mit has a sense of urgency and worth a mention on this list. Obviously Stranded kicks its arse.

YES!

this was from the K4 countdown, after OH selected them, but not that one:

"similarly on the Saints selection yesterday ... there are a lower hangin' piece of fruit that is regarded as their hallmark tune (and one that just sounds so impossibly chaotic, like recorded in a wind tunnel with the guitars blaring thru jet powered fans before being buffeted thru cracked amp tubes), but "Know Your Product" was a very inspired choice in lieu of said hallmark one ... the bouncy/brassy texture subtracts nada from their urgency ... fantastic piece of work"

ETA: i was obviously referring to "Stranded", but didn't wanna spotlight.

I am actually kind of annoyed I didnt rank it #1.

When the write-up and the influence flowing from is greater or better than the one you picked number one, it's a drag, isn't it?

I think the best song write-up I had in the punk countdown (and probably the track I pulled for the most) I did was number seven and there were also some really good tracks that got spotty write-ups along the way.

It was a punk song from the little-loved punk era of '93, but it was worth every syllable typed into this ether.
I get it. These labors of love sometimes change as you are doing them.
In doing my research for the next song i should have interchanged it for the #1. I didnt realise the influence it had. My number 1 is a great song, but this one gets better every time i hear or read about it

#5 - Marvin Gaye - Got to Give it Up Pts 1 & 2
#2 - Black

Marvin Gaye had been a Motown star for over a decade, but lawsuits from ex bandmates, an expensive divorce and child support payments threatened Gayes liberty with Jail mentioned as an option. Motown believed he should do a disco song, but Gaye scoffed at the idea saying the genre lacked substance. After Diana Ross put out Love Hangover, Gaye wavered but intended to write a pastiche disco song instead. Getting the right musicians and produces to help him, he put out this masterpiece. Even studio banter was included in the release “Say Don! Hey man, I didn't know you was in here!" The "Don". He was addressing Soul Train host Don Cornelius. Released to much acclaim it steadily climbed the charts until it reached number 1 in June, replaced by Gonna Fly Now. It then took on a new life, influencing generations to follow. Michael Jackson freaked when he heard it. He was struggling on his solo debut that would turn into Off the Wall and promptly came up with Dont Stop Til you get enough. Jackson also used the vibe on the Jacksons Shake Your Body a little earlier.
It was heavily sampled, copied and influenced artists down the line, but landed in the news in the early 10s when one of the biggest hits of the decade, Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams was involved in a lawsuit involving the Gaye song. Gayes children won the suit. It is definitely influenced, but a harsh judgement to be honest.
If I had this list to do over, it replaces my number one choice and they swap over basically. Just love how smooth, sexy and fun this song is. Why its not on Tims list I will never know.

Part 2 is included cause its a great continuation. More cowbell lol

Was just listening to Marvin Gaye today. Was going to get the 50th Anniversary Edition of What's Going On. This is a great song. Totally different style and era, but still great. Wow. I've heard it many times before in a pastiche form, actually. Through samples and clips and homages. I don't think I've ever sat and listened to it all the way through.

His voice is in fine falsetto form here. He could always bring it when the cocaine let up for a moment.

I think it's a harsh judgment against Thicke and his cohorts (Pharrell?), too, but I can certainly hear "Blurred Lines" in it.

But there's a reason for that. It's common, apparently. Nice article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/... years since,an anxious state about copyright.

#5 - Marvin Gaye - Got to Give it Up Pts 1 & 2
#2 - Black

Marvin Gaye had been a Motown star for over a decade, but lawsuits from ex bandmates, an expensive divorce and child support payments threatened Gayes liberty with Jail mentioned as an option. Motown believed he should do a disco song, but Gaye scoffed at the idea saying the genre lacked substance. After Diana Ross put out Love Hangover, Gaye wavered but intended to write a pastiche disco song instead. Getting the right musicians and produces to help him, he put out this masterpiece. Even studio banter was included in the release “Say Don! Hey man, I didn't know you was in here!" The "Don". He was addressing Soul Train host Don Cornelius. Released to much acclaim it steadily climbed the charts until it reached number 1 in June, replaced by Gonna Fly Now. It then took on a new life, influencing generations to follow. Michael Jackson freaked when he heard it. He was struggling on his solo debut that would turn into Off the Wall and promptly came up with Dont Stop Til you get enough. Jackson also used the vibe on the Jacksons Shake Your Body a little earlier.
It was heavily sampled, copied and influenced artists down the line, but landed in the news in the early 10s when one of the biggest hits of the decade, Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams was involved in a lawsuit involving the Gaye song. Gayes children won the suit. It is definitely influenced, but a harsh judgement to be honest.
If I had this list to do over, it replaces my number one choice and they swap over basically. Just love how smooth, sexy and fun this song is. Why its not on Tims list I will never know.

Part 2 is included cause its a great continuation. More cowbell lol
So wonderfully smooth.

I think it's a harsh judgment against Thicke and his cohorts (Pharrell?), too, but I can certainly hear "Blurred Lines" in it.

But there's a reason for that. It's common, apparently. Nice article here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/... years since,an anxious state about copyright.
Thanks for the link. I was reading up on the Blurred Lines case and Pharrell and Thicke were awful defendants. In one of the Led Zeppelin lawsuits, Jimmy Page was a fantastic defendant. He could argue differences musically, Pharrell and Thicke were difficult and couldnt explain or even answer basic questions without incriminating themselves.

The whole lawsuit thing is no more ridiculous than the Down Under case. The guy who played the break admitted he was influenced by the old Australian nursery rhyme “Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree”. A company had bought the rights for the 1930s song for a pittance and pounced on the admission. Men at Work had to pay a fortune in royalties. It led to the early death of the guy who played it.

Unless songs are blatant rip offs, its just stupid. Only so many chords. The people judging these decisions have no musical training or knowledge of the process and the law is not helping the situatiom.

Next up we have our #4 and #3 songs

#4 closes off the electronic category. It was a unique sound at the time. Often imitated, never replicated.

#3 is our final punk number. I doubt anyone else rates it this highly, but it has always fascinated me with its lyrical content and sent a clear signal that this band was way more than the genre they were placed into.

Here are my 10 best

I would take something off of Pink Floyd's Animals; Probably Sheep

Closer to the Heart
- Rush and Xanadu by Rush

Parallels and Awaken from Yes

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Black Cow - Steely Dan

Terrapin Station - the Dead

Scenes From an Italian Rest. (Billy Joel)

Jungle Love by SMB

Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf

5 Honorable Mentions would be: Dreams (Fleetwood Mac),Wang Dang Sweet Poontang (Ted), Miss America (Styx), Cold as Ice - Foreigner, and Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)

Users who are viewing this thread