What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1979 Pittsburgh Steelers (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
They were the last Super Bowl winner comprised entirely of players who had never played for another team.

In case you were wondering.

ROSTER

I had no idea that Matt Bahr was on the '79 Steelers. That's crazy. He nearly made two Super Bowls 17 years apart, but the Pats drafted Vinatieri to replace him on the '96 team.

I had no idea that Matt Bahr was on the '79 Steelers. That's crazy. He nearly made two Super Bowls 17 years apart, but the Pats drafted Vinatieri to replace him on the '96 team.
A quick look shows me that the longest time between Super Bowl appearances (and I mean playing in both Super Bowls, not just being on the roster) was:Jerry Rice and Bill Romanowski, both on the '88 49ers and '02 Raiders -- 14 yearsGene Upshaw and Ted Hendricks ('67 and '80 Raiders; '70 Colts and '83 Raiders) -- 13 yearsP Mike Horan ('86 Broncos and '99 Rams) -- 13 yearsJohn Elway ('86 Broncos and '98 Broncos) -- 12 yearsBob Kuechenberg ('71 Dolphins and '82 Dolphins) -- 11 yearsMatt Bahr ('79 Steelers and '90 Giants) -- 11 yearsTedy Bruschi ('96 Patriots and '07 Patriots) -- 11 yearsPreston Pearson ('68 Colts and '78 Cowboys) -- 10 yearsHoward Cross ('90 Giants and '00 Giants) -- 10 yearsAdam Vinatieri ('96 Patriots and '06 Colts) -- 10 years

I found out that little fun fact watching the awesome "America's Game" presentation the NFL Network airs about the greatest teams ever. Last night was the '79 Steelers. Here's another trivia question about that team which will win you a few bucks in a bar.Who was the only Steelers defensive lineman to start every game in 1979?

John Banaszak! :loco:

He was one of the featured commentators on that presentation, and he was awesome. He was telling a story about how his family grew up in Ohio and they were HUGE Browns fans. Banaszak went undrafted out of Eastern Michigan, but was invited to try out with the Steelers as a free agent. He worked his butt off and made the team out of training camp. He calls his father and says "Dad, I have great news... I'm a Pittsburgh Steeler!!!"

<DIAL TONE>

The old man hung up on him. :wall:

A quick look shows me that the longest time between Super Bowl appearances (and I mean playing in both Super Bowls, not just being on the roster) was:Jerry Rice and Bill Romanowski, both on the '88 49ers and '02 Raiders -- 14 years

Gene Upshaw and Ted Hendricks ('67 and '80 Raiders; '70 Colts and '83 Raiders) -- 13 years

P Mike Horan ('86 Broncos and '99 Rams) -- 13 years

John Elway ('86 Broncos and '98 Broncos) -- 12 years

Bob Kuechenberg ('71 Dolphins and '82 Dolphins) -- 11 years

Matt Bahr ('79 Steelers and '90 Giants) -- 11 years

Tedy Bruschi ('96 Patriots and '07 Patriots) -- 11 years

Preston Pearson ('68 Colts and '78 Cowboys) -- 10 years

Howard Cross ('90 Giants and '00 Giants) -- 10 years

Adam Vinatieri ('96 Patriots and '06 Colts) -- 10 years
Didn't Kuechenberg play in the 72 and 73 games?

A quick look shows me that the longest time between Super Bowl appearances (and I mean playing in both Super Bowls, not just being on the roster) was:Jerry Rice and Bill Romanowski, both on the '88 49ers and '02 Raiders -- 14 years

Gene Upshaw and Ted Hendricks ('67 and '80 Raiders; '70 Colts and '83 Raiders) -- 13 years

Didn't Kuechenberg play in the 72 and 73 games?
I just mean first and last SB appearances, not gap between appearances.

You Pats* fans have big brass ones calling those wins tainted.
you don't think 'roids gives players more of an in game competitive advantage than what belichick was doing?
Not against any NFL rules. :popcorn:
Whatever...One was lifting weights at home. Another was training for a triathlon. A third was watching a game at a friend's house.Regular guys doing regular things.Then there were the others.One drank antifreeze. Another was in a high-speed chase.Two things in common among all:They were Pittsburgh Steelers; and they died in the last six years.Fresh off their first Super Bowl victory in 26 years, the Steelers have experienced the emotional gamut. The franchise has lost 18 former players -- age 35 to 58 -- since 2000, including seven in the last 16 months."There is no explanation," said Joe Gordon, a Steelers executive from 1969 through '98. "We just shake our heads and ask why."The numbers are startling. Of the NFL players from the 1970s and '80s who have died since 2000, more than one in five -- 16 of 77 -- were Steelers.

you don't think 'roids gives players more of an in game competitive advantage than what belichick was doing?
That's the response? 'They cheated better'?Fair enough.
just as long as you're acknowledging those superbowls were won through cheating.
Do you want an answer? What if it was 'YES'? And we should take all cheating Super Bowls away? Would you be willing to remove the trophies from the cabinet of the guy that hasn't won one since his camcorder got taken away? You OK with that?

They were the last Super Bowl winner comprised entirely of players who had never played for another team.

ROSTER
Another Steeler fact I thought off a few years ago. When they beat the Seahawks in the SB they had not player on their roster that they chose in the top 10 picks of the NFL draft. I wonder how often that happens? The only top 10 pick they had on the team was Farrior who went #8 to the Jets. I'd have to look this up to be sure but I also think Rothlisberger #11 and Polamalu at #16 were the only member of the team the Steelers selected in the top first half of the NFL draft.

That's the response? 'They cheated better'?Fair enough.
just as long as you're acknowledging those superbowls were won through cheating.
Do you want an answer? What if it was 'YES'? And we should take all cheating Super Bowls away? Would you be willing to remove the trophies from the cabinet of the guy that hasn't won one since his camcorder got taken away? You OK with that?
why would they take those superbowls away --- that's nonsensical.the memo came out in 2007, he got caught in 2007 (and went 16-0 that season), so you want to strip every trophy the team has ever earned in it's entire existence?he was out in the open with what he was doing --- were the Stealers?

I'm sure steroids gave a huge competitive advantage. Calling timeouts gives a competitive advantage, too. Should we strip the SB titles from any team that has ever called a timeout, too? Or should we only worry about the teams that actually broke any rules?

ROSTER
Another Steeler fact I thought off a few years ago. When they beat the Seahawks in the SB they had not player on their roster that they chose in the top 10 picks of the NFL draft. I wonder how often that happens? The only top 10 pick they had on the team was Farrior who went #8 to the Jets. I'd have to look this up to be sure but I also think Rothlisberger #11 and Polamalu at #16 were the only member of the team the Steelers selected in the top first half of the NFL draft.
Bettis was the 10th pick in the 1993 draft.

I'm sure steroids gave a huge competitive advantage. Calling timeouts gives a competitive advantage, too. Should we strip the SB titles from any team that has ever called a timeout, too? Or should we only worry about the teams that actually broke any rules?
well, if one of the two teams in a game called timeouts while the other couldn't I'd have to say I wouldn't give much credit to the winner.I guess your point is that all players in the league had the option to kill themselves with ped's to 'fairly compete' with the Stealers.

ROSTER
Bettis was the 10th pick in the 1993 draft.
By the Rams. As I was saying no players the Steelers selected in the top 10.

ROSTER
The Steelers in '05 and '08 had two former top-10 picks but zero top-10 picks of their own; in '05, it was Farrior and Bettis; in '08 it was Farrior and Leftwich.Including the Giants (remember, they didn't draft Eli Manning), three of the last 5 SB winners didn't have a single top-10 pick that they drafted on the team; for the Colts, it was only Manning. For NO, it was Brees and Sedrick Ellis.

Code:
tm	tot	ownnor2009	3	2pit2008	2	0nyg2007	3	0clt2006	1	1pit2005	2	0nwe2004	2	2nwe2003	3	2tam2002	4	0nwe2001	5	4rav2000	9	6ram1999	7	5den1998	2	0den1997	3	0gnb1996	4	1dal1995	4	3sfo1994	3	1dal1993	4	2dal1992	3	2was1991	2	0nyg1990	6	4sfo1989	2	1sfo1988	3	1was1987	2	0nyg1986	5	4chi1985	4	4sfo1984	2	1rai1983	3	1was1982	4	0sfo1981	2	1rai1980	5	0pit1979	2	2pit1978	2	2dal1977	3	3rai1976	2	0pit1975	3	3pit1974	3	3mia1973	4	2mia1972	4	2dal1971	6	3clt1970	6	3kan1969	6	3nyj1968	4	2gnb1967	4	2gnb1966	4	2
The '02 Bucs had Lomas Brown (Detroit), Rickey Dudley (Oakland), Keyshawn Johnson (NYJ) and Simeon Rice (Arizona), but no top-ten picks that they drafted.

ROSTER
The Steelers in '05 and '08 had two former top-10 picks but zero top-10 picks of their own; in '05, it was Farrior and Bettis; in '08 it was Farrior and Leftwich.Including the Giants (remember, they didn't draft Eli Manning), three of the last 5 SB winners didn't have a single top-10 pick that they drafted on the team; for the Colts, it was only Manning. For NO, it was Brees and Sedrick Ellis.

The '02 Bucs had Lomas Brown (Detroit), Rickey Dudley (Oakland), Keyshawn Johnson (NYJ) and Simeon Rice (Arizona), but no top-ten picks that they drafted.
Good info. Technically the Giants belong on the list but the fact they traded a top 10 pick to get Eli makes them excempt in my mind if not reality. The Steelers acquired Bettis for a second rounder and Farrior as a FA so they never gave compensation higher than pick #11 for a player. Did not know about the Buc's and can't recall what kind of compensation they gave to acquire Keyshawn and Rice.

Either way you really see from this how insignificant top 10 picks have been to SB winners the past few seasons yet such a massive deal is made out of them during the draft and they are always well compensated. Reinforces a thought I"ve had the past few years that a top 10 pick is often more of a hindrance than a benefit.

ETA- This entire thing to me also reflects on what an amazing job the FO did building these past two Steeler SB champions. The Steelers nailed almost every first round pick despite not having a top 10 pick and only one pick inside the first half of the first round which was originally there selection. In an era when most FA moves don't work out they made two big FA pickups in Farrior and Jeff Hartings and basically nailed them both. They traded up in the draft one time and it was to get Polamalu so they nailed that. They made one large trade to acquire another teams veteran player when they sent a #2 pick to the Rams to get Bettis.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Including the Giants (remember, they didn't draft Eli Manning), three of the last 5 SB winners didn't have a single top-10 pick that they drafted on the team; for the Colts, it was only Manning. For NO, it was Brees and Sedrick Ellis.

Should that not be RB Reggie Bush? QB Brees was selected @ 2.01 by SD in 2001.

Code:
tm	tot	ownnor2009	3	2
For New Orleans in 2009, who is the third top-ten player on the team that was not drafted by the Saints? The two drafted by the Saints are RB Bush(2005) and DT Ellis(2008), but I can't figure out who the other player is. I thought it was Shockey, but he was 1.14 player drafted in 2002 by the New York Giants.

ROSTER

tm tot ownnor2009 3 2pit2008 2 0nyg2007 3 0clt2006 1 1pit2005 2 0nwe2004 2 2nwe2003 3 2tam2002 4 0nwe2001 5 4rav2000 9 6ram1999 7 5den1998 2 0den1997 3 0gnb1996 4 1dal1995 4 3sfo1994 3 1dal1993 4 2dal1992 3 2was1991 2 0nyg1990 6 4sfo1989 2 1sfo1988 3 1was1987 2 0nyg1986 5 4chi1985 4 4sfo1984 2 1rai1983 3 1was1982 4 0sfo1981 2 1rai1980 5 0pit1979 2 2pit1978 2 2dal1977 3 3rai1976 2 0pit1975 3 3pit1974 3 3mia1973 4 2mia1972 4 2dal1971 6 3clt1970 6 3kan1969 6 3nyj1968 4 2gnb1967 4 2gnb1966 4 2The '02 Bucs had Lomas Brown (Detroit), Rickey Dudley (Oakland), Keyshawn Johnson (NYJ) and Simeon Rice (Arizona), but no top-ten picks that they drafted.
Interesting. I'm surprised that no SB champion has never had 0 top-10 picks, to be honest... although not at all surprised that so many teams haven't had any self-drafted top-10s. Good teams rarely draft in the top 10. Good teams win superbowl. No surprise that the two so frequently go hand-in-hand.
Good info. Technically the Giants belong on the list but the fact they traded a top 10 pick to get Eli makes them excempt in my mind if not reality. The Steelers acquired Bettis for a second rounder and Farrior as a FA so they never gave compensation higher than pick #11 for a player. Did not know about the Buc's and can't recall what kind of compensation they gave to acquire Keyshawn and Rice.

Either way you really see from this how insignificant top 10 picks have been to SB winners the past few seasons yet such a massive deal is made out of them during the draft and they are always well compensated. Reinforces a thought I"ve had the past few years that a top 10 pick is often more of a hindrance than a benefit.
If top 10 picks were such a hindrance, then why has no team ever won a SB without a top-10 pick on its roster?In reality, I think it's lurking variables. Good franchises tend to wind a disproportionately large share of SBs. Good franchises tend to have a disproportionately small number of top 10 picks. Bad franchises tend to win a disproportionately small share if SBs. Bad franchises tend to earn a disproportionately large share of the top 10 picks. As a result, there's a strong correlation between "no top 10 picks" and "SB wins" that has nothing to do with the top 10 picks themselves. I mean, if Detroit had been drafting in the 11-20 range this past decade, do you think they'd be contenders? If the Colts had been drafting high in the first, would they no longer be hitting double digit win totals?

As an example of the "good franchises don't draft in the top 10" concept... the Denver Broncos have made 6 SB appearances since 1973 despite only having two top-10 picks over that entire 37 year span. Denver made the SB three times in the '80s and twice in the '90s without a single self-drafted top-10 pick. Why? Because they were a great franchise with great ownership and great coaching, and as a result they've only drafted in the top 10 once after 1983.

I found out that little fun fact watching the awesome "America's Game" presentation the NFL Network airs about the greatest teams ever. Last night was the '79 Steelers. Here's another trivia question about that team which will win you a few bucks in a bar.Who was the only Steelers defensive lineman to start every game in 1979?

John Banaszak! :thumbup:

He was one of the featured commentators on that presentation, and he was awesome. He was telling a story about how his family grew up in Ohio and they were HUGE Browns fans. Banaszak went undrafted out of Eastern Michigan, but was invited to try out with the Steelers as a free agent. He worked his butt off and made the team out of training camp. He calls his father and says "Dad, I have great news... I'm a Pittsburgh Steeler!!!"

<DIAL TONE>

The old man hung up on him. ;)
That whole series is great, and some of the commentators are priceless. They really make the series. Rocky Bleier was pretty good too. My family is all from the Pittsburgh area so I really enjoy all the America's Game on the 70's Steelers.One that always gets me though is the one on the 2000 Ravens. Listening to Trent Dilfer, you'd think he was Joe f'n Montana.

The Missing Rings shoot off is very well done too.

/random thoughts

By the Rams. As I was saying no players the Steelers selected in the top 10.
That might have something to do with the fact that the Steelers have only had one pick in the top 10 since 1989. (Plaxico Burress, #8 in 2000).
Of course. Which is another attribute of their remarkable consistency as a team and further drives my home my point they they benefitted by not having mulitiple top 10 picks and the thus being forced to pay unproven players top salary's for their position.

This is incorrect for Vinatieri - He also played for the '01 Pats, 03' Pats, and '04 Pats on their winning teams...

Code:
tm	tot	ownnor2009	3	2
For New Orleans in 2009, who is the third top-ten player on the team that was not drafted by the Saints? The two drafted by the Saints are RB Bush(2005) and DT Ellis(2008), but I can't figure out who the other player is. I thought it was Shockey, but he was 1.14 player drafted in 2002 by the New York Giants.
Chris McAlister was on the '09 Saints, although he was released in December.

gandalas said:
This is incorrect for Vinatieri - He also played for the '01 Pats, 03' Pats, and '04 Pats on their winning teams...
He's stated previously that he's referring to time between first and last Super Bowls played in, not "drought" between Super Bowls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chase Stuart said:
Saints-Man said:
Chase Stuart said:

Code:
tm	tot	ownnor2009	3	2
Chris McAlister was on the '09 Saints, although he was released in December.
Ahh...thanks, Chase!!!

Kool-Aid Larry said:
dude, that was hgh --- let's stay on topic.brian cushing is not getting any awards taken for using hgh.
I wasn't aware he was getting awards taken away for anabolic roids either. I thought it was a masking agent? :lmao:

Kool-Aid Larry said:
dude, that was hgh --- let's stay on topic.brian cushing is not getting any awards taken for using hgh.
I wasn't aware he was getting awards taken away for anabolic roids either. I thought it was a masking agent? :goodposting:
Nobody knows. Schefter tweeted that he's heard it was 3 different substances from 3 different sources.

Users who are viewing this thread