What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2002 running backs (1 Viewer)

I printed these out in 2002 and the links still work. Interesting to look back and see what was projected. Articles by Chris Smith.

On William Green- "The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy runnng back for a lot of seasons to come." OK, many other experts thought he was going to be good. Check it out

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2

I printed these out in 2002 and the links still work. Interesting to look back and see what was projected. Articles by Chris Smith.

On William Green- "The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy runnng back for a lot of seasons to come." OK, many other experts thought he was going to be good. Check it out

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2
Somehow a line must have been deleted in there. It was supposed to read...The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy running back for a lot of seasons to come as long as he can stay away from the ganja.

Not sure how that line was left out ;) :bag:

*Edited for grammar purposes. Typing after drinking is never a good idea LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that Portis guy is way too small to be an every-down back in the NFL.
It looks better when you use the entire quote... :boxing:

He is quick and elusive and is good at making the first defender miss him in the hole. He may not be a big runner, but he runs like a big man and is always fighting for extra yardage. You can tell that he loves playing at the running back position and displays a lot of talent on the field. However he has a couple of big question marks as well such as his ability to carry the ball enough times to be considered a starting running back who can take the pounding on every play. Another problem is that his receiving skills are not very sound. He will need to work on his game a lot over the next couple of seasons if the Broncos want to use him in the passing attack.

I am not sold on his worth as an every down rusher in the NFL. However, given the Broncos track record the past several seasons, perhaps there is more to this player then meets the eye. He certainly has the heart and passion to become a starter and those are qualities you cannot teach.

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2
How 'bout Brian Westbrook. I should get bonus marks for that ;) Brian Westbrook (5-8, 200, 4.58)

SELECTED BY PHILADELPHIA, ROUND 3, PICK 26, OVERALL PICK 91

I have a feeling that Brian Westbrook is going to end up one of the biggest steals of the draft. The only real downfall that folks have about the kid is his size. However I seem to remember another 5 ft 8, 200 pound running back that did wonders in the NFL. For those of you who have a short memory, his name was Barry Sanders and while, this player is not Sanders by any stretch of the imagination, he is gifted enough to be a starter in the pros. He is incredibly powerful for his size and yet his has awesome quickness as well. He has the best hands of any running back coming out in this draft and is a terrific option out in the flat.

Westbrook has an awesome mix of skills. He can pound the ball up inside; both elude and break tackles yet he is at his best when he can get to the outside. One of the most surprising things about him is that his hands are quite large which means he should have no problem with fumbling at the next level. He had over 300 touches last season for 2261 total yards and an impressive 28 touchdowns. There are times when size matters on the football field and there are times when it does not. He is one of those “does not” players.

The Eagles got themselves a major steal with this pick. The more I hear about him, the more I believe he will end up beating out the incumbent Duce Staley and run the Eagles into the Super Bowl picture. He will end up the starting running back at some point this season.

Somehow a line must have been deleted in there. It was supposed to read...

The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy running back for a lot of seasons to come as long as he can stay away from the ganja.

Not sure how that line was left out ;) :bag:
...or you could also say:The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy running back for a lot of seasons to come as long as he can stay away from women with sharp objects.

I was sucked-into the whole William Green hype too....not to mention drinking some of the Ron Dayne Kool-aid as well. :wall:

I think the problem is wanting so-desparately for some of those young/rookie RBs to pan-out. If my M.O. is true to form though (hyping RBs for a couple years before they do anything, then trading/releasing them in time for them to make something out of their careers, a la Thomas Jones), WG should be primed for about 1,500 yards and 13 TDs in 2006........ :sarcasm:

On William Green-  "The bottom line on Green is that he will be a solid fantasy runnng back for a lot of seasons to come."  OK, many other experts thought he was going to be good. Check it out

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2
How 'bout Brian Westbrook. I should get bonus marks for that ;) Brian Westbrook (5-8, 200, 4.58)

I have a feeling that Brian Westbrook is going to end up one of the biggest steals of the draft. The only real downfall that folks have about the kid is his size. However I seem to remember another 5 ft 8, 200 pound running back that did wonders in the NFL. For those of you who have a short memory, his name was Barry Sanders and while, this player is not Sanders by any stretch of the imagination, he is gifted enough to be a starter in the pros. He is incredibly powerful for his size and yet his has awesome quickness as well. He has the best hands of any running back coming out in this draft and is a terrific option out in the flat.

Westbrook has an awesome mix of skills. He can pound the ball up inside; both elude and break tackles yet he is at his best when he can get to the outside. One of the most surprising things about him is that his hands are quite large which means he should have no problem with fumbling at the next level. He had over 300 touches last season for 2261 total yards and an impressive 28 touchdowns. There are times when size matters on the football field and there are times when it does not. He is one of those “does not” players.

The Eagles got themselves a major steal with this pick. The more I hear about him, the more I believe he will end up beating out the incumbent Duce Staley and run the Eagles into the Super Bowl picture. He will end up the starting running back at some point this season.
Hey Chris, you shouldn't feel bad at all. I am sure your track record is no worse than GM's. BTW, I am less concerend with short guys weigh 200 than 5'11" guys that weight 200 like Bush. Interestingly, Portis is the closest comp to Bush in terms of build, although Portis is still 12 pounds heavier.

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2

Hey Chris, you shouldn't feel bad at all. I am sure your track record is no worse than GM's. BTW, I am less concerend with short guys weigh 200 than 5'11" guys that weight 200 like Bush. Interestingly, Portis is the closest comp to Bush in terms of build, although Portis is still 12 pounds heavier.
Thanks LT. BTW: Normally I agree with you when it comes to backs that have a difficult time cracking the 200 pound mark. However Bush is not one of those guys. I have probably seen him play 16 games over the past couple of seasons and he has the two things that all great backs have...

VISION and FULL-TILT CUTTING ability

Bush sees the entire field unlike any runner I have every watched. His vision isn't just good but legendary and when he sees the crack he cuts full speed without a hitch and leaves the defenders standing still with blown ankles.

Add to that more pop at the point of attack than most folks realize and I am convinced he is going to be a star at the next level. He will take a routine flare pass and turn it into an 80-yard highlight reel.

Bush = :eek:

DeShaun Foster with only a 4/10 injury risk. :D

OTOH, you did name him most similar to Fred Taylor. ;)
But at least the 'injury' risk was pointed out LOL. I guess I should have had it...14/10 injury risk but I didn't think he was that brittle

Running backs part 1

Running Backs Part 2
The biggest mistake made on William Green that year was by former Cleveland HC Butch Davis. Figure Davis had Clinton Portis in college at the U...how could he have passed on Portis and taken Green? :loco: :football:
He was a bad coach.

Users who are viewing this thread