What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2004 Draft QB Retrospective (1 Viewer)

If you were drafting today for next year and beyond, who's #1?

• Ben Rothelsberger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drew Brees

• Eli Manning

• Phillip Rivers

• Total voters

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
Watching Eli perform horribly today made me think. Despite a bad second half culminating in this nightmare, if I had to take any of the 4 principals from the 04 Draft, I'd still take him head and shoulders above the other guys. And I was one of the guys killing the Giants for taking Eli over Big Ben(who they could have gotten at the 7th slot with an extra pick in a trade) after watching him go 14-1 last year. But a year under his belt, Eli has a little something to him. I know the results might belie that, and today is a day that will live in Giants infamy, a home playoff shutout. But I think this guy will eventually bring some hardware to NY, which I don't think is a given with the other QBs. And I should mention, this is for NFL QBing, not for fantasy sake.

Big Giants fan here. Big Eli fan as well, as I understand today for what is was - a rude welcoming for a young QB into playoff football. Nice to get that done now rather than later, I suppose.That said, you have to say Big Ben right now. While the upside might not be as great with Ben as with Manning (although Ben doesnt have to do a lot that often, it is not as if we know he "can't" ), Ben is considerably ahead in his development. Right now, I would have to go with Big Ben - but I think Eli will be a true franchise QB.In the very little Ive seen, Rivers just doesnt impress me. Didnt coming out of college (in terms of being an NFL force), and hasnt shown anything to change that viewpoint.

Drew Brees wasn't in the 2004 draft.
Obviously, I was referring to him as one of the players from the situation though. San Diego had a real choice between the three of them. I mean, hindsight is 20/20, and Brees looked like somewhat of a bust at the time(I personally thought they should have filled another need) but how would they look with Gallery, Larry Fitz, Sean Taylor or Vilma right now over Eli or Rivers?

Drew Brees wasn't in the 2004 draft.
Obviously, I was referring to him as one of the players from the situation though. San Diego had a real choice between the three of them. I mean, hindsight is 20/20, and Brees looked like somewhat of a bust at the time(I personally thought they should have filled another need) but how would they look with Gallery, Larry Fitz, Sean Taylor or Vilma right now over Eli or Rivers?
:yes: just keep in mind that if they went for Fitz or Gallery, they wouldn't have Merriman, Kaeding or their starting C. I voted Ben, but Eli had to be the pick at the time, and he will probably have the better stats over their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread