What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2005 FBG/ NFL Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Justin Tuck (JR), DE, Notre Dame

As I see it, Phi areas of most need going into the 2005 draft are DT, OL, DE, and RB, in that order. We do have other needs, but with repsect to finding 1st round talent, those are the holes that should be filled first. Also, while I would love to find some T talent here that can be moved around the OL while we wait on some of the older folks to move on, Im not sure I am going to find any at this point. I do expect the Eagles to trade up just like last season and move into the 11-17 range to secure a DT.

I dont think any knowledgable Eagle fan expects to see DT Corey Simon return this year and while he has shown flashes, we (the Birds) dont give huge money for underperforming players who could be something. Our organization secures youth and harnesses their talent to mold them into an abover average player that excells in our system.

That said, I think Andy Reid has learned from his mistakes a bit in the past and has gone out and signed big name FAs (Owens Kearse). I think given the opportunity in the first round, maybe a good deal offered by some franchise that needs the help in the draft, to trade up and land a big time offensive player. Chances are it wont happen, but I could see it happening as Phi just has too many picks and cant afford to sign them all.

I have 3-4 players I would love to have at this spot. While there is a DT that I like on the board, I do have a couple of other positions that can be secured that may end up producing pro-bowl calibur players. Also, I believe there will be some DTs overlooked that I do have my eye on later in the draft. While this pick may not be considered a positional need, I do feel that Tuck is a player that cannot be passed on. Current measurables are 6'5 264 while running a 4.7 he excelled at ND and will be considered an asset on the Eagles Defensive line depth. I would not call Kearse old, nor would I say Derrick Burgess, Hugh Douglas, and Jerome McDougle need to be replaced. But I will say a potent pass rush will win a lot of games for teams.

And now I wait to see if a certain player drops 3 spots :nerd:

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal

2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas

3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami

4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan

5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC

6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.

7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas

8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn

9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma

10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia

11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland

12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin

13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia

14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia

15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State

16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah

17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin

18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC

19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB

20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn

24 Green Bay Packers - David Pollack DE Georgia

25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU

26 NY Jets - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma

28 San Diego - Marlin Jackson CB/S Michigan

29 Indianapolis - Justin Miller CB Clemson

30 Pittsburgh - Adam Terry OT Syracuse

31 Philadelphia - Justin Tuck DE Notre Dame

32 New England OTC

Last edited by a moderator:
With NEEDS of OG, OT, DB, LB the teams goes with the best player available:

The NEW ENGLAND PATIOTS SELECT: MICHIGAN S ERNEST SHAZOR

With Rodney Harrsion ending a brillant career the PATS take another multi-purpose player. At 6-4 Shazor is a Saftey in the body of Linebakcer. This will allow Ernest to learn on the job for a year. He might even get some extra work with Eugene Wilson playing corner during the year when the PATS want to play a stronger nickle back versus throwing teams. With a DB heavy draft I still think the PATS will draft a DB but with someone that fits the mold of a Belichick player like Ernest it's very hard to pass him up. There were two other players the PATS liked here but they felt they will be able to fill those spots later in the draft.

SF is on the clock.....

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina 22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn24 Green Bay Packers - David Pollack DE Georgia25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU26 NY Jets - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma 27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma28 San Diego - Marlin Jackson CB/S Michigan 29 Indianapolis - Justin Miller CB Clemson30 Pittsburgh - Adam Terry OT Syracuse 31 Philadelphia - Justin Tuck DE Notre Dame32 New England - Ernest Shazor S MichiganNow, onto round 2.I will PM the Niners and we'll go by the draft order that LT posted on the first page.

The selections of Marlin Jackson and Justin Miller at #28-29, along with the selections of Spears, Pollack, and Jammal Brown just before that makes this a pretty easy call.

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Adam Terry, OT Syracuse

Terry is a behemoth at 6' 9" and 325 pounds. His frame can easily carry more weight and I believe he'll play around 335-340. Pittsburgh doesn't have a ton of glaring needs right now (if Burress walks - a big WR like Chris Henry might be a pick here.) I was focusing on either an OT, CB, or DE with this pick, and I believe Terry provides the best value. His footwork stands to improve a bit, and he lacks polish, but this is a pure upside pick this late in Round 1. The Steelers drafted Max Starks in the third round last year, who is another space eater, but there are questions about whether or not he has enough quickness to handle speed rushers on the outside. Oliver Ross performed adequately at RT this year, particularly in run blocking, and with Starks there, the Steelers have time to coach Terry and let him develop. At this point, I believe he has the most upside of any player available. The engine that drives the Steelers offense is the line - with the addition of Terry and the (hopeful) return of Kendall Simmons, the Steelers would have terrific depth at perhaps their most important aspect of the team.

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal

2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas

3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami

4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan

5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC

6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.

7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas

8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn

9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma

10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia

11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland

12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin

13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia

15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State

16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah

17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin

18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC

19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB

20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn

24 Green Bay Packers - David Pollack DE Georgia

25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU

26 NY Jets - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma

28 San Diego - Marlin Jackson CB/S Michigan

29 Indianapolis - Justin Miller CB Clemson

30 Pittsburgh - Adam Terry OT Syracuse
Nice pick and great write up. I for one would have gone with Webster at CB though.

Please start another thread for Round Two.....
Why?
Trust me... it makes this thing more manageable.I ran one last year, and it makes things much easier.How many rounds are we going? 4, 5, 6, 7 ????
I believe you. PM LT about it. I can't do all the updating he's doing when I'm at work.I think it was either 3-4 rounds, but I'm not sure.

Taylor's initial idea was 3 rounds. I would be willing to go as many as we agree. I can also see the use of starting another thread for Round 2.

The selections of Marlin Jackson and Justin Miller at #28-29, along with the selections of Spears, Pollack, and Jammal Brown just before that makes this a pretty easy call.

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Adam Terry, OT Syracuse
honestly, i think terry is the ideal pick for the steelers this year. i like the CB and DL crop a lot, but the steelers have done such a excellent job finding small school CB's that im not worried about landing an elite CB prospect, and seeing how well hoke played in place of hampton this year, i think our defensive system will do a fine job getting the most out of a second tier D-line prospect. OT's like Terry are usually top 5 picks, and to get him in the late first because of a lack of polish would be a freakin coup...great pick. unfortunately, i think terry will end up being off the board by pick 25 or so.

jurb/bloom - it was down to Webster or Terry - those were the two guys I had to decide between. A CB or OT would be nice, but I don't think either is a glaring need, thus I went for the upside guy. IMO, the guy with the best cahnce to be a stud of those two was Terry.

jurb/bloom - it was down to Webster or Terry - those were the two guys I had to decide between. A CB or OT would be nice, but I don't think either is a glaring need, thus I went for the upside guy. IMO, the guy with the best cahnce to be a stud of those two was Terry.
Can't argue with you there. Plus that does seem to be Cowher and the Steelers tendency.... draft Oline when there is no clear cut pick.

With NEEDS of OG, OT, DB, LB the teams goes with the best player available:

The NEW ENGLAND PATIOTS SELECT: MICHIGAN S ERNEST SHAZOR

With Rodney Harrsion ending a brillant career the PATS take another multi-purpose player. At 6-4 Shazor is a Saftey in the body of Linebakcer. This will allow Ernest to learn on the job for a year. He might even get some extra work with Eugene Wilson playing corner during the year when the PATS want to play a stronger nickle back versus throwing teams. With a DB heavy draft I still think the PATS will draft a DB but with someone that fits the mold of a Belichick player like Ernest it's very hard to pass him up. There were two other players the PATS liked here but they felt they will be able to fill those spots later in the draft.

SF is on the clock.....
This would be a great pick for them IMO.

I just want people to go ahead and start using the other thread so that there is no confusion. Ive got all the picks from the 1st round updated over there. no big deal at all though

Yeah, I'm bumping this.

Mainly, for a little perspective. If anyone's making dynasty trades based on how they *think* the draft is going to turn out, just take a look at this mock from just about this time last year. It was well thought out, well researched, and well done.

But, very very wrong.

Nobody knows what's going to happen in January. Is it fun to do? Sure. Does it mean you should make trades based off of where you think the top RBs are going?

No.

Yeah, I'm bumping this.

Mainly, for a little perspective.  If anyone's making dynasty trades based on how they *think* the draft is going to turn out, just take a look at this mock from just about this time last year. It was well thought out, well researched, and well done.

But, very very wrong.

Nobody knows what's going to happen in January.  Is it fun to do?  Sure.  Does it mean you should make trades based off of where you think the top RBs are going?

No.
I agree that nobody knows but, I don't think anyone claimed that this would be an excercise that NAILED IT..... Or even one to make Fantasy decisions over. That was DAMN early mock....Where I think the value is in such an excercise is, would be to get a better feel for each player and then by making picks for each team and discussing it we get a better feel for what each team needs and how all the draft eligible players may or may not fit those needs.... Then, I believe, as the draft approaches and we have more information from work-outs, rumors, what have you, there are laters mocks...

I remember this mock last year and learning a lot about the different CB's and which one's were more physical and which one's were better cover corners...

As far as Fantasy worth - I think it just makes you more familiar with the players and then when they do get picked and wind up on a team you'll hopefully know a little more about that player, his strengths and maybe how that fits with Where he DID go...... Or what teams filled their needs or percieved needs....

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 1 was correct-Clayton to Balt. One thing I noticed that did pan out was the 2nd QB dropping a long way, except it was Rogers.

I wish the Jets went for the OT.....Every Draft site had the Jets desperate for a OT with Mckenzie leaving, Fabini declining and Jones a no-name at the time....Bradway Scoffed at that notion when asked "Ha, we'll be just fine at the tackel position"...Barnes was projected to go mid 1st and then slipped - he slipped so much that the Jets could have traded for Jolley and STILL drafted him in the 2nd.4 QB's and 3 RB's later... :unsure: But, NOW they say they need Offensive linemen.... Well YEAH.

Users who are viewing this thread