What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft IDP Thread (2 Viewers)

Hodge will start out backing up Nick Barnett in the middle. However, the Packers intend to play their best three linebackers, and if Roy Manning and former Brown Ben Taylor don't pan out on the strong side Hodge definitely will have a chance to start.Several scouts said Hawk clearly would prove to be a superior linebacker in the 4-1 dime defense than Nick Barnett, who played almost every snap for the last three seasons and was no better than adequate against run and pass. Now the Packers will have two linebackers with speed and can employ more 4-2 sets on passing downs, increasing their ability to stop the run.
I think this really helps clarify things, and makes it seem as though Barnett and Hawk are pretty safe at MLB and WLB respectively. Hodge will start out as a backup at MLB, but could be moved into the starting lineup at SLB if Manning and Taylor don't work out. So, in order for the team to consider moving Hawk or Barnett to SLB, we'd likely have to see at least 3 players flop on the strong side and that seems unlikely. Adding Hodge when the team already has a quality MLB in place reminds me of what happened in Denver when they drafted Terry Pierce. When Al Wilson wound up sticking around, they eventually tried to move Pierce to SLB rather than the other way around. I think the Jets had a similar problem when they drafted Victor Hobson but had Marvin Jones at MLB and Vilma the next year. In those instances at least, the teams wound up keeping the better player at the more important position rather than moving him and risk downgrading at two positions instead of just one.So, with Hawk and Barnett clearly being considered the Packers best two linebackers, it really makes the most sense for them to stay at the two most important LB positions. Then, the team just needs to hope one of the other 3 options can hold down the SLB spot. Also, since Hawk and Barnett will be out there in the nickel package, and Hawk seems favored to play in the dime package as well, he should be very valuable no matter what spot he plays since he'll likely be out there for every snap.As for Hodge, I think he's big enough to play on the strong side. He certainly provides great depth for the Packers even if he doesn't start right away. But, since he's likely no more than a 2-down linebacker when everybody is healthy, his fantasy upside is probably pretty minimal for the time being.

Georgia Tech's Eric Henderson signs FA contract with Bengals according to a local sportstalk blog.

:thumbup:

Could be an explosive pass rusher. Needs work in run support and durability concerns hurt him badly in the draft. But I liked this guy much more than Frostee Rucker. Somebody to put in the back of your minds....

I'm just a newbie around here, folks, but FBG really wants to be 'the' place to go for IDP information.  Norton and Aaron and Cracker and Bob (with Dave and others) are the best in the business.  I'll try to contribute wherever I can.

IMHO, this board is way, way better than anything else out there.  A quick look around the web yesterday showed a total of three posts over some other main fantasy message boards.

It's been fun.

Hopefully, the HC and DCs of the NFL don't make my speculations look  :loco: over the next couple of weeks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great IDP draft coverage everyone. Appreciate all the input...

Here is my early rankings for the top LB's:

1.  Hawk (Drops like a rock on the strong side)

2.  Simms

3.  Greenway

4.  D. Jackson

5.  McIntosh

6.  Ryans (Drops if SLB)

7.  Hodge (Up a couple spots if he sticks in middle)

After that a slew of SLB and 3-4 OLB bunched together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, and still in flux...1 Hawk

1a Greenway

3 Sims

4 Ryans

5 Mcintosh

6 Jackson/Wimbley

ETA: Future impact

1 Hodge

2 Keiaho

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right now the problem i face in my rook drafts is that they are starting on 5/15 so not much if anything is gonna be hashed out by then...with that being said that makes Hawk a very risky pick especially since he could be late 1st round picks in some of my leagues(all 2pt/tackles)...with that said if someone is in need of a LB they may be better off if they trade down and nab greenway or simms both of who are much safer to produce nice numbers this way over hawk....risk reward is one thing...but when it comes to 1st round picks I dont like to waste my pick(not that hawk would be a complete waste but you get my point) and if for some crazy reason hawk lands on the strong side that would be a wasted 1st round pick comparatively speaking

Here is my early rankings for the top LB's:

1.  Hawk (Drops like a rock on the strong side)

2.  Simms

3.  Greenway

4.  D. Jackson

5.  McIntosh

6.  Ryans (Drops if SLB)

7.  Hodge (Up a couple spots if he sticks in middle)

After that a slew of SLB and 3-4 OLB bunched together.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FWIW, and still in flux...1 Hawk

1a Greenway

3 Sims

4 Ryans

5 Mcintosh

6 Jackson/Wimbley

ETA: Future impact

1 Hodge

2 Keiaho

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
right now the problem i face in my rook drafts is that they are starting on 5/15 so not much if anything is gonna be hashed out by then...with that being said that makes Hawk a very risky pick especially since he could be late 1st round picks in some of my leagues(all 2pt/tackles)...with that said if someone is in need of a LB they may be better off if they trade down and nab greenway or simms both of who are much safer to produce nice numbers this way over hawk....risk reward is one thing...but when it comes to 1st round picks I dont like to waste my pick(not that hawk would be a complete waste but you get my point) and if for some crazy reason hawk lands on the strong side that would be a wasted 1st round pick comparatively speaking

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in same boat...draft on 13th. I agree with ya.I'm not sure I wouldn't take Greenway over Hawk. Sims and the concussions concern me, but I already have Morgan, (he has burned me several times over the years). Jene posted something stating Minnesota drafted Greenway to play will. I have Greenway and Hawk neck and neck.

Bills | Youboty to be groomed as starting corner

Mon, 1 May 2006 09:28:56 -0700

Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills third-round draft pick CB Ashton Youboty may eventually replace franchise free agent Nate Clements (Bills) if the Bills are unable to sign Clements to a long-term deal.

Bills | Whitner likely to start

Mon, 1 May 2006 09:24:08 -0700

Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills first-round draft pick SS Donte Whitner is expected to fill the starting strong safety spot created when veteran SS Lawyer Milloy was released earlier in the offseason.

Bills | Simpson may be Vincent's successor

Mon, 1 May 2006 09:32:31 -0700

Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports the Buffalo Bills feel fourth-round draft pick S Ko Simpson may eventually be able to replace veteran FS Troy Vincent as the team's starting free safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about that, Keg.Hawk is the prototypical Will. Barnett does have some decent speed and range, but I think the better fit is Hawk at Will and Barnett at Mike.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps, but if Hodge starts where will be go? This all has to be determined. Hawk is 240+ and could be a Urlacher type, but who knows? I like the looks of the Pack LB corps for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread