What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft IDP Thread (1 Viewer)

S Dawan Landry to Ravens.

Meh. I was hoping for a big bruiser like Blue or Bing here to project as a fantasy prospect should the Ravens run more 46 fronts.

Landry runs 220 but may not be physical enough to become a true stud at his position. He's heavier than Will Demps but otherwise his scouting report doesn't differ all that much.

Somebody to watch though.

Terna Nande to the Titans....

Interesting little project here. Doesn't easily project to the Mike role either, but could surprise.
Terna is a physical freak...very strong, and a hard worker. My daughter will be pleased he was drafted...they are freinds.

Interesting little project here. Doesn't easily project to the Mike role either, but could surprise.
Terna is a physical freak...very strong, and a hard worker. My daughter will be pleased he was drafted...they are freinds.
I asked this in the Shark pool, but is there any chance Thornton moves to the middle, and Nande starts?

BTW, I think the talk about moving to a 3-4 base front should be just about dead in Cincinnati by now.

Not only did the Bengals not select anybody that fits well in a 3-4 defensive line, they selected two guys who may never make an impact at all.

Peko is big, but scouting reports read like a one gap penetrating type. Rucker may have played some 3-4 in the past, but he can't handle that role in the NFL.

Looks like the Bengals will be dumping one Mich St DT that could project (Askew) for a new version (Peko). Sure hope I'm not overreacting here, but :bag: .
:pickle: As an owner of Justin Smith and Odell Thurman - I hope this is so!
Owner of Justin Smith :thumbup: Owner of Brian Simmons :unsure:

Huh.

Greg Blue could become pretty interesting as a football player. He's a horrible fit as a safety in the Tampa-2. But he could become a reasonable SLB in this scheme. Cover skills aren't nearly good enough to play Mike or Will. Plenty of smallish players do well in this scheme as outside backers. Won't have any fantasy impact, but still interesting.

The position monikers in the back 7 of the 'Skins, with the possible exception of MLB, mean very little.  Everyone is expected to play essentially ambidextrously, as either the strong or weak side version of their position.  The thing that immediately jumped out at me about McIntosh in reading about him is that he's a smart guy who has an all-around good game.  That's why the team targeted him. 

He's a good IDP pickup in a dynasty league.  He figures to beat out Holdman (who's just a warm body in there now) and Clemons (who's best attribute is his pass rush) for the bulk of the playing time.
Hey Redman,Do you have any links that discuss the general theory of Gregg Williams defenses?

And the Skins continue to mortgage their future for some of these guys. They gave up next year's second to get McIntosh so he'll play. Thanks for the info.
I'll try to find you a link, but basically Williams likes to run a pressure defense wherein anyone at any time can be blitzing. Obviously, if you blitz a CB, though, you need to have other guys who can fill in on pass coverage in the event that the blitz itself doesn't stop the play. This means that Williams needs guys who are assignment sound and who have good fundamental skills (tackling, pass coverage, etc.) more than he needs guys who are phenomenal athletes. On any given play, an OLB may be rushing the passer, in a shallow zone, in man coverage on a TE or RB, or just reading and reacting. For these reasons the "left" and "right" or "strong" and "weak" designations just don't mean much in this defense.

He also has defensive audibles that are called and that adjust what they're doing based upon the offense. Again, this means that smarts are more important that athletic skill.

Lavar Arrington's refusal to play within the scheme made him a lot less valuable to that defense than guys like Lemar Marshall or Antonio Pierce who aren't nearly the athlete he is but who are heady, disciplined players. On the flip side, Sean Taylor's continuing development into a great safety shows you what a discplined player with great athletic talent can do in the scheme.

Interesting little project here.  Doesn't easily project to the Mike role either, but could surprise.
I asked this in the Shark pool, but is there any chance Thornton moves to the middle, and Nande starts?
Not yet.Nande is awful raw. And I doubt he holds up over the TE, stack scheme or not. But he's going to be somebody to follow.

Not yet.Nande is awful raw. And I doubt he holds up over the TE, stack scheme or not. But he's going to be somebody to follow.
I know he's raw, I guess not so much this season, but long term. I like the potential, but it does seem the Titans are looking 2-3 years from now with most of these picks.

The position monikers in the back 7 of the 'Skins, with the possible exception of MLB, mean very little.  Everyone is expected to play essentially ambidextrously, as either the strong or weak side version of their position.  The thing that immediately jumped out at me about McIntosh in reading about him is that he's a smart guy who has an all-around good game.  That's why the team targeted him. 

He's a good IDP pickup in a dynasty league.  He figures to beat out Holdman (who's just a warm body in there now) and Clemons (who's best attribute is his pass rush) for the bulk of the playing time.
Hey Redman,Do you have any links that discuss the general theory of Gregg Williams defenses?

And the Skins continue to mortgage their future for some of these guys. They gave up next year's second to get McIntosh so he'll play. Thanks for the info.
I'll try to find you a link, but basically Williams likes to run a pressure defense wherein anyone at any time can be blitzing. Obviously, if you blitz a CB, though, you need to have other guys who can fill in on pass coverage in the event that the blitz itself doesn't stop the play. This means that Williams needs guys who are assignment sound and who have good fundamental skills (tackling, pass coverage, etc.) more than he needs guys who are phenomenal athletes. On any given play, an OLB may be rushing the passer, in a shallow zone, in man coverage on a TE or RB, or just reading and reacting. For these reasons the "left" and "right" or "strong" and "weak" designations just don't mean much in this defense.

He also has defensive audibles that are called and that adjust what they're doing based upon the offense. Again, this means that smarts are more important that athletic skill.

Lavar Arrington's refusal to play within the scheme made him a lot less valuable to that defense than guys like Lemar Marshall or Antonio Pierce who aren't nearly the athlete he is but who are heady, disciplined players. On the flip side, Sean Taylor's continuing development into a great safety shows you what a discplined player with great athletic talent can do in the scheme.
I appreciate this. Thanks.It has always been my impression that Williams runs more of a mirrored stack scheme but with more blitzes than is standard. Unfortunately, I haven't seen too many games and the gamebooks haven't been all that helpful.

Makes sense with Archuleta/Taylor and a versatile left side backer like Washington.

Interesting little project here.  Doesn't easily project to the Mike role either, but could surprise.
I know he's raw, I guess not so much this season, but long term. I like the potential, but it does seem the Titans are looking 2-3 years from now with most of these picks.
Sorry OZ, misread your thought.Yep, I'm with you, I think Nande is more likely to be an outside backer long term. They've lost some nice special teams backers in Boiman and others, so these guys are good depth for now. Looks like they'll be content with Sirmon in the middle for now.

Sorry OZ, misread your thought.Yep, I'm with you, I think Nande is more likely to be an outside backer long term. They've lost some nice special teams backers in Boiman and others, so these guys are good depth for now. Looks like they'll be content with Sirmon in the middle for now.
Yep... Terna is a project. Kinda like Thomas Howard is some respects.

AJ Nicholson to the Bengals.

So much for Marvin washing his hands of guys with character concerns.

:bye: Brian Simmons (at some point in the future)

:bye: Dreams of 3-4

ETA: Actually that's a little harsh, Nicholson is decent in coverage, but probably doesn't have the first step to be a dominant rush LB in a 3-4 set.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

You read my statement right, the "any chance" part was a bit of a reach for this year. I mean, "any chance" he does well enough to get the job? like 5%, 25%...

I missed the Tulloch pick, he's probably more likely to be the MLB (If Sirmon can't stay on the field) than switching thornton.

Finally Mark Anderson comes off the board.

No immediate opportunity behind Brown and O-Gun. But he'll get the time he needs to bulk up and play the run. Very interesting guy for 2007.

You read my statement right, the "any chance" part was a bit of a reach for this year. I mean, "any chance" he does well enough to get the job? like 5%, 25%...

I missed the Tulloch pick, he's probably more likely to be the MLB (If Sirmon can't stay on the field) than switching thornton.
Last season, Terna took a helmet to the gut in something like the 3rd game of the year. He had some issues with organs and required some 3 weeks of bed rest. He came back to play... I think the last 3 games. Maybe...he could have possible been a late 1st day pick if he would have played a whole season.

Finally Mark Anderson comes off the board.

No immediate opportunity behind Brown and O-Gun. But he'll get the time he needs to bulk up and play the run. Very interesting guy for 2007.
No kidding... I like him, he layed out there longer than I thought he would.

Okay, here's your late round special at LB.

Omar Gaither is a quick OLB with coverage skills that could fit really well as the WLB in Philly. Eagles aren't real happy with Matt McCoy and Shawn Barber would be a long term answer only if the long term was measured in weeks.

Big upside here.

Okay, here's your late round special at LB.

Omar Gaither is a quick OLB with coverage skills that could fit really well as the WLB in Philly. Eagles aren't real happy with Matt McCoy and Shawn Barber would be a long term answer only if the long term was measured in weeks.

Big upside here.
:goodposting: Gotta like those instinctive backers... instincts can make up for lack of speed.

Keith Ellison to the Bills.

Another speedy, smallish LB/S tweener with good football IQ and excellent cover skills. Somebody to watch behind either Spikes or Fletcher long term.

Huh.

Greg Blue could become pretty interesting as a football player. He's a horrible fit as a safety in the Tampa-2. But he could become a reasonable SLB in this scheme. Cover skills aren't nearly good enough to play Mike or Will. Plenty of smallish players do well in this scheme as outside backers. Won't have any fantasy impact, but still interesting.
Huh? Doesn't Indy run a Tampa-2? Cato June was a safety converted to WLB in Indy's scheme. I am not saying that Minnesota will use Blue in the same way but I'm curious why you would think he would be a resonable SLB in that scheme.

Maybe I am under the mistaken belief that the WLB in the Tampa-2 is usually undersized? June, Brooks, and now Sims in Detroit.

Huh.

Greg Blue could become pretty interesting as a football player.  He's a horrible fit as a safety in the Tampa-2.  But he could become a reasonable SLB in this scheme.  Cover skills aren't nearly good enough to play Mike or Will.  Plenty of smallish players do well in this scheme as outside backers.  Won't have any fantasy impact, but still interesting.
Huh? Doesn't Indy run a Tampa-2? Cato June was a safety converted to WLB in Indy's scheme. I am not saying that Minnesota will use Blue in the same way but I'm curious why you would think he would be a resonable SLB in that scheme.

Maybe I am under the mistaken belief that the WLB in the Tampa-2 is usually undersized? June, Brooks, and now Sims in Detroit.
The Will and Mike need to have excellent cover skills and instincts. All three LBs have been undersized in this scheme because speed is key.Blue does not have the cover skills needed or the quickness/agility to work well on the weak side IMO. He's a physical, in-the-box type player. He may not even project well in the short zones on the strong side. Greenway is almost certainly the WLB in Minnesota. A good comp here might be Ryan Nece who is a physical 225lb guy who has held up well on the strong side in Tampa.

Greenway could play all three roles. And, as is my primary weakness, I tend to project the best talent toward positions where they'll have the ability to make the most plays rather than burying them on the strong side where they'll be nice players but less heralded.

I just don't see Blue as a Will (ETA or safety) in this scheme.

ETA: And, of course, I'm just speculatin' to accumulate in business like.... :P

Huh.

Greg Blue could become pretty interesting as a football player.  He's a horrible fit as a safety in the Tampa-2.  But he could become a reasonable SLB in this scheme.  Cover skills aren't nearly good enough to play Mike or Will.  Plenty of smallish players do well in this scheme as outside backers.  Won't have any fantasy impact, but still interesting.

The Will and Mike need to have excellent cover skills and instincts. All three LBs have been undersized in this scheme because speed is key.Blue does not have the cover skills needed or the quickness/agility to work well on the weak side IMO. He's a physical, in-the-box type player. He may not even project well in the short zones on the strong side. Greenway is almost certainly the WLB in Minnesota. A good comp here might be Ryan Nece who is a physical 225lb guy who has held up well on the strong side in Tampa.

Greenway could play all three roles. And, as is my primary weakness, I tend to project the best talent toward positions where they'll have the ability to make the most plays rather than burying them on the strong side where they'll be nice players but less heralded.

I am fairly certain he won't be playing on the strong side. He plays safety or the will or he doesn't play.

Huh.

I am fairly certain he won't be playing on the strong side. He plays safety or the will or he doesn't play.
I could easily make that argument as well. I'm interested to hear what DC Mike Tomlin has in store for him. They did sign Tank Williams to play safety and he's far from the league's greatest cover safety....

Great info in this thread. I couldn't be here yesterday, but it's nice to catch up on a lot of good stuff in here.

Colts get Antoine Bethea. Rumors that Marlin Jackson could move to safety to upgrade coverage skills over Mike Doss. Jackson would also make a good Cover-2 corner. Bethea probably doesn't have much upside next to Bob Sanders here as well.

BTW...

New Orleans and Arizona didn't draft anybody at linebacker that could have impact before 2007.

Bump whoever gets the Saints WLB job (Simmons/Fujita) and the Cards' three down LB gig alongside Dansby (Hayes/Darling/Mitchell) after minicamps.

Has ESPN had any contact with Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson on the linebacker situation there with Hawk and Hodge? All I saw was on KFFL that the best 3 linebackers will be on the field. No real speculation as to who will play where.

Anybody reading anything anywhere?

As a Packer fan it's a problem I love to see. Great linebacking talent. As a fantasy IDPer - it looks to be a mess. If Hodge goes to MLB and Barnett to WLB and heaven forbid Hawk to SLB :eek:

Has ESPN had any contact with Mike McCarthy or Ted Thompson on the linebacker situation there with Hawk and Hodge? All I saw was on KFFL that the best 3 linebackers will be on the field. No real speculation as to who will play where.

Anybody reading anything anywhere?

As a Packer fan it's a problem I love to see. Great linebacking talent. As a fantasy IDPer - it looks to be a mess. If Hodge goes to MLB and Barnett to WLB and heaven forbid Hawk to SLB :eek:
This is all I've seen so far - same things you mentioned earlier.From Packersnews.com

The Packers went into the draft with only one established starting linebacker, Nick Barnett in the middle. Hawk almost certainly will be an immediate starter at the weak-side position, leaving the strong-side spot open. Moss said Hodge likely will work first at middle linebacker, but Hodge said he felt he could play all three spots.
and from the Journal-Sentinel
Hodge will start out backing up Nick Barnett in the middle. However, the Packers intend to play their best three linebackers, and if Roy Manning and former Brown Ben Taylor don't pan out on the strong side Hodge definitely will have a chance to start.

Several scouts said Hawk clearly would prove to be a superior linebacker in the 4-1 dime defense than Nick Barnett, who played almost every snap for the last three seasons and was no better than adequate against run and pass. Now the Packers will have two linebackers with speed and can employ more 4-2 sets on passing downs, increasing their ability to stop the run.

James Wyche could be an interesting situational rusher for Jacksonville with the potential to be a good two way end in the future.

OAK is going to play Bing at LB. Not sure how this is going to shake out with Howard coming in as well. Something to keep an eye on.
Say what? Very interesting, if true. Where did you hear that from? At face value, I do not see where he fits into a 3-4 at LB. I also saw a couple Shell interviews today, and nothing regarding Bing. Where's this info trickling from? Reliable? :popcorn:

OAK is going to play Bing at LB.  Not sure how this is going to shake out with Howard coming in as well.  Something to keep an eye on.
Say what? Very interesting, if true. Where did you hear that from? At face value, I do not see where he fits into a 3-4 at LB. I also saw a couple Shell interviews today, and nothing regarding Bing. Where's this info trickling from? Reliable? :popcorn:
RoF, I'd like to see this fleshed out a little more as well. TME, where did you hear that the Raiders were moving to a 3-4? Typo?Shell has a knack for saying absolutely nothing. I wasted valuable seconds of my life reading his drivel about Thomas Howard last night.

Before the draft I mentioned that Saban's 3-4 defense was interesting in that the linemen don't all play a 2 gap role and that Vonnie Holliday was a solid undertackle but an aging one.

Enter Rod Wright.

If he puts it together, he could be one of the rare DTs that have value in all leagues.

I'm just a newbie around here, folks, but FBG really wants to be 'the' place to go for IDP information. Norton and Aaron and Cracker and Bob (with Dave and others) are the best in the business. I'll try to contribute wherever I can.

IMHO, this board is way, way better than anything else out there. A quick look around the web yesterday showed a total of three posts over some other main fantasy message boards.

It's been fun.

Hopefully, the HC and DCs of the NFL don't make my speculations look :loco: over the next couple of weeks.

This year is much cooler than last year, where all the top talents got stuck in a 3-4 or at SLB.

OAK is going to play Bing at LB.  Not sure how this is going to shake out with Howard coming in as well.  Something to keep an eye on.
RoF, I'd like to see this fleshed out a little more as well. TME, where did you hear that the Raiders were moving to a 3-4? Typo?Shell has a knack for saying absolutely nothing. I wasted valuable seconds of my life reading his drivel about Thomas Howard last night.
Brain fart actually. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, 4-3. So, if true, Bing figures to be a WLB project? Will be interesting to watch his develpment at the position.

I'm just a newbie around here, folks, but FBG really wants to be 'the' place to go for IDP information. Norton and Aaron and Cracker and Bob (with Dave and others) are the best in the business. I'll try to contribute wherever I can.

IMHO, this board is way, way better than anything else out there. A quick look around the web yesterday showed a total of three posts over some other main fantasy message boards.

It's been fun.

Hopefully, the HC and DCs of the NFL don't make my speculations look :loco: over the next couple of weeks.
As a FF trying to learn more about IDP, this board in general and this thread in particular, have been great. Thanks for all the info!!

In case somebody ends up here first, Tick has posted a great thread to be updated with position changes/confirmations for all the newbies.

It's worth checking out the posts under his OP to follow the details behind the changes.

In case somebody ends up here first, Tick has posted a great thread to be updated with position changes/confirmations for all the newbies.

It's worth checking out the posts under his OP to follow the details behind the changes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm headed on a business trip this week and don't know what kind of internet access I'll have. Feel free to update that thread if I don't get to it for awhile.

1.17 CHAD GREENWAY - Minnesota Vikings

Hmm.  More kool-aid for the Tampa-2 WLB lovers.

Exceptional cover skills, and has the full package (speed, range, instincts) to succeed in the Tampa-2.  He's been handpicked by the new staff so it's Dont Thomas vs EJ for the MLB role now.

Based on the Ernie Sims hype, you can probably get Greenway much later and he could well outperform Sims behind a much better defensive line.

Excellent value.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
awesome stuff, jene... outstanding work...wish i knew you were here yesterday... i mostly checked in shark pool...

as far as sims, imo, even if he is more costly than greenway, he will be worth it...

but you could be right about relative value if he indeed out-produces him... i just see sims as a monster... he might do better than hawk & could be DROY & #1 in IDP scoring...

that said, i might take hawk first, but i would personally would not only rather have sims after hawk... but before greenway... :)

while us IDP guys would not be happy with it, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pack LBs as

WLB - Barnett

MLB - Hodge

SLB - Hawk

they definitely have some flexibility though. will be a situation to watch very closely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You guys may well be right. I just don't see what good it does to have players like DJ Williams and AJ Hawk taking on blocks all afternoon long. I'm no pro personnel guy though. I just see the scouting reports that say Hodge can play all three positions and plays much stronger than his size and believe he could handle the SLB spot.If the Pack do line up this way, drop AJ Hawk way down the draft board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
julian peterson got one of biggest contracts in offseason, & he is SLB... it is possible to be a difference maker if you can blitz & cover...i think hawk would go down but maybe not a lot...

hodge could be an enormous beneficiary... one of biggest, maybe biggest IDP stories of day one...

bing was nice day two...

* again, thanx for all the great work... this helped get me up to speed around the league with local & regional homer reports much faster than i could have otherwise... bravo to everybody for the input...

once again FBG mssg board & aggregate football IQ is a 100-eyed monster that sees everything... :)

Users who are viewing this thread