What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 NFL Draft IDP Thread (1 Viewer)

1.26 JOHN MCCARGO - Buffalo Bills

Huh.

Now the 3 technique tackle. They musta loved Whitner.

That said, this guy is a very nice player. The Tampa-2 looks to get the bulk of its pass rush from the front four. A 3-technique DT or undertackle is a vital part of that. Necessary to penetrate and disrupt the rush game but quick enough to get to the quarterback while collapsing the pocket from the inside. Probably moves Tripplett to the RDT role, although my recollection is that he's more of a one-gap guy as well.

ETA: Huh, Coyle says Larry Tripplett is McCargo's closest comp....

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Huff? A top safety especially a SS can be an asset to any roster.
I'd rank Huff and Whitner behind the top 4
Agreed.Don't think Huff is a SS. Scheme diminishes Whitner's value somewhat, but the backers are all better bets in standard leagues thus far.
As always, my rapid fire thoughts are speculation boys.From the Oakland papers after Huff's selection...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...rs/14461556.htm

Huff, 23, is considered by many the most talented prospect available in the two-day, seven-round draft which concludes Sunday. He is versatile enough to play cornerback, safety or a hybrid role.

That bodes well for a Raiders defense that struggled for most of last season and lost cornerback Charles Woodson and strong safety Renaldo Hill to free agency. Huff is expected to compete against veteran Derrick Gibson for the starting spot at strong safety.

"I feel like I can play anything, play anywhere," Huff said in a conference call with Bay Area media, minutes after learning he had been snagged by the Raiders.

1.31 KELLY JENNINGS - Seattle Seahawks

:yawn:

Solid player. Good speed, agility, and technical cover skills. Not very physical against the run. Herndon and Trufant are the starters. Not much value here even in CB specific leagues.

1.32 MATHIAS KIWANUKA - New York Giants

Boomer beat me to the Scrabble/Dictionary joke. Probably means that I'm a crappy comedian.

Potential to be a solid edge rusher. Quick, explosive first step although didn't show much against D'Brick at the Senior Bowl. Needs to improve in run support. Probably a situational rusher. May mean the Giants aren't as enamored with Justin Tuck as some of us are.

2.33 DEMECO RYANS - Houston Texans

:thumbup:

The Texans defense is going to have some nice fantasy prospects. :) with the situations where some of these nice players are landing.

Deeeeeeeeep OLB draft. Sideline to sideline speed, willing hitter. Agility and football instincts offset somewhat smallish frame. Capable in coverage. Probably plays weakside backer in Houston, although he could play the middle.

Another great IDP prospect.

1.33 DEMECO RYANS - Houston Texans

The Texans defense is going to have some nice fantasy prospects. :) with the situations where some of these nice players are landing.
What position do you see him playing for the Texans

The Texans defense is going to have some nice fantasy prospects.  :)   with the situations where some of these nice players are landing.
I think his skill set (range, pursuit speed, closing burst) and size (230lbs) make him a better fit at Will where he'll be better able to flow to the ball. But he plays stronger than his size and the Texans need both a WLB and MLB. My initial impression is that he plays Will, but would not be surprised to see him supplant the elderly, dinged-up Cowart in the middle.Either way, good value.

2.34 D'QWELL JACKSON - Cleveland Browns

PFFFT. There goes the value of Chaun Thompson and Matt Stewart like a fart balloon in the sky.

Interesting though. Jackson is only 230 pounds and although guys like Donnie Edwards have had success as a 3-4 ILB at that size, it's not ideal. But he does have extensive experience as a 3-4 ILB at Maryland.

Scouts note his hand technique as excellent and list his ability to shed tacklers as a strength so that'll help him. Speedy, good tackler, with good range.

Interesting pick. Experience in the 3-4 helps him, but his size and opportunity (next to Andra Davis) may limit him. In his favor the Belichick hybrid scheme Crennel employs uses the inside linebackers as kind of a MLB/WLB alignment with the outside guys more in rush/coverage roles.

2.35 ROCKY MCINTOSH - Washington Redskins

Good opportunity here to take over the WLB role.

Speedy and mobile, solid tackler. Tough, plays bigger than his size, sheds blocks well. Could improve some in pass coverage.

Looks slated to take over the WLB role soon with only Chris Clemons and Warrick Holdman in his way. Redskins moved way up to get him in this round so he's going to get an opportunity sooner than later. May not be a three down player in Washington with Washington and Marshall there.

Could project to MLB down the line if Marshall leaves.

Another interesting backer in a position to produce in IDP leagues.

The Texans defense is going to have some nice fantasy prospects.   :)   with the situations where some of these nice players are landing.
I think his skill set (range, pursuit speed, closing burst) and size (230lbs) make him a better fit at Will where he'll be better able to flow to the ball. But he plays stronger than his size and the Texans need both a WLB and MLB. My initial impression is that he plays Will, but would not be surprised to see him supplant the elderly, dinged-up Cowart in the middle.Either way, good value.
Surprised they passed on Justice..but I like Ryans

2.34 D'QWELL JACKSON - Cleveland Browns

PFFFT. There goes the value of Chaun Thompson and Matt Stewart like a fart balloon in the sky.

Interesting though. Jackson is only 230 pounds and although guys like Donnie Edwards have had success as a 3-4 ILB at that size, it's not ideal. Also, he has experience as a 3-4 ILB in college.

Scouts note his hand technique as excellent and list his ability to shed tacklers as a strength so that'll help him. Speedy, good tackler, with good range.

Interesting pick. Experience in the 3-4 helps him, but his size and opportunity (next to Andra Davis) may limit him. In his favor the Belichick hybrid scheme Crennel employs uses the inside linebackers as kind of a MLB/WLB alignment with the outside guys more in rush/coverage roles.
:wall: Yep... dont look good for Chaun

2.37 JIMMY WILLIAMS - Atlanta Falcons

Don't you know I'm loco :loco: ?

Wow. The Falcons could have some kind of defense. Pro Bowlers galore at all levels. Add Jimmy Williams. Big, speedy, good man coverage.

Rookie corner rule says Williams may be a nice pick in all IDP leagues this year. He will hit in run support - some feel he should play safety. He's got big play capability. And he'll be tested opposite DeAngelo Hall.

May end up as the top ranked IDP corner.

Winston Justice is STILL available?

Bills might have been able to go Bunkley/Justice with their first two picks.
:P What's up with that?

All kinds of rumors about a player with a big blemish that could come out before the draft or not at all.

Something smells.

2.38 THOMAS HOWARD - Oakland Raiders

Ah crap.

I really wanted to see this guy land in a better situation.

Speedy, agile, excels in coverage, can rush well. But where's the opportunity here. Are we moving Morrision to SLB? Howard sure isn't a SLB. Morrison to the middle and Clark to SLB? Traded up to get him so they've got some kind of plan here. I can't imagine they'll move him to SS.

Spidey senses say Howard is a Will and somebody gets moved.

2.37  JIMMY WILLIAMS - Atlanta Falcons

Don't you know I'm loco  :loco: ?

Wow.  The Falcons could have some kind of defense.  Pro Bowlers galore at all levels.  Add Jimmy Williams.  Big, speedy, good man coverage.

Rookie corner rule says Williams may be a nice pick in all IDP leagues this year.  He will hit in run support - some feel he should play safety.  He's got big play capability.  And he'll be tested opposite DeAngelo Hall.

May end up as the top ranked IDP corner.
Needs to stay out of trouble

well he just went to philly and I was thinking philly was gonna grab him at 14 if Ngata was gone so they got very good value on him

Ah crap.

Speedy, agile, excels in coverage, can rush well. But where's the opportunity here. Are we moving Morrision to SLB? Howard sure isn't a SLB. Morrison to the middle and Clark to SLB? Traded up to get him so they've got some kind of plan here. I can't imagine they'll move him to SS.

I cant see Howard coming right in and playing. He will prolly need some time to develop...on the raw side

2.40 DANIEL BULLOCKS - Detroit Lions

Another well rounded safety who'll be a good fit in the Tampa-2.

Could play either safety spot. Willing in run support and greatly improved his cover skills last year. Wonder if Kenoy Kennedy sits because he's weaker in coverage than Terrence Holt.

well he just went to philly and I was thinking philly was gonna grab him at 14 if Ngata was gone so they got very good value on him
Great value!

Ah crap.

Speedy, agile, excels in coverage, can rush well.  But where's the opportunity here.  Are we moving Morrision to SLB?  Howard sure isn't a SLB.  Morrison to the middle and Clark to SLB?  Traded up to get him so they've got some kind of plan here.  I can't imagine they'll move him to SS.

I cant see Howard coming right in and playing. He will prolly need some time to develop...on the raw side
Agreed.But he's almost certainly a Will backer. They love Clark, but he's replacement level talent. I'm thinking he probably ends up as depth soon with Morrison in the middle.

Norton knows the Raider mind - interested to hear his feel on this one.

Hey Jene, where ya think Hodge is gonna end up?
Word on the street is that Jacksonville likes him to take over in the middle and bump Peterson to an OLB spot.Cardinals could use a MLB to add to the others they're throwing against the wall.

And the Titans have a hole there too.

Word on the street is that Jacksonville likes him to take over in the middle and bump Peterson to an OLB spot.Cardinals could use a MLB to add to the others they're throwing against the wall.

Move Peterson? Jene, were you catching that information? Weak or strong side? Shoot me a PM, if and when you get time. Take that answer off air.

Bears drafted Danieal Manning.

Stud CB/FS from Division II level who can also return punts. Guy has big upside and could be better than Nick Collins, 2nd round pick of the Packers last year.

Move Peterson? Jene, were you catching that information? Weak or strong side? Shoot me a PM, if and when you get time. Take that answer off air.
check out this thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=238222

2.42 DANIEAL MANNING - Chicago Bears

Interesting little reach here.

Corner in college, has safety size. I don't know what the Bear plan is here. Aaron has been following the Bears. If he's heard anything about this guy he'll have a better opinion than me.

From here on out, I'll just be commenting on interesting names or prime opportunities. I'm going to start combing for details on some of the guys already taken - like Howard and others. Happy to try to answer questions though.

ETA: Aaron already beat me to it on all counts.

2.42 DANIEAL MANNING - Chicago BearsInteresting little reach here.Corner in college, has safety size. I don't know what the Bear plan is here. Aaron has been following the Bears. If he's heard anything about this guy he'll have a better opinion than me.
he provides depth at CB and FS and will likely take over the punt return duties. he reportedly looked incredible at the East-West Shrine game. PFW said he could go as soon as early 2nd round so I don't think it's much of a reach. Bears really needed depth in the secondary and a punt returner...and the Bears have had some success with small school DBs before in Charles Tillman and Jerry Azumah.

check out this thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=238222
That thread has my thoughts on that matter.More I read, the more it sounds as if the Jags play a base 4-3 stack which minimizes the weak/strong responsibilties as much as a scheme can. Mirrors both OLBs in a right/left type formation.

Peterson played SLB in Dungy's Tampa-2 scheme in Indy. But the feeling was they'd move him to free him up in pursuit - meaning ROLB (predominantly weak) in this scheme.

I own Peterson in most of my leagues, so I'm watching this one closely.

I'll PM Dave Baker as well. He's doing the Jag coverage.

2.42 DANIEAL MANNING - Chicago Bears

Interesting little reach here.

Corner in college, has safety size.  I don't know what the Bear plan is here.  Aaron has been following the Bears.  If he's heard anything about this guy he'll have a better opinion than me.
he provides depth at CB and FS and will likely take over the punt return duties. he reportedly looked incredible at the East-West Shrine game. PFW said he could go as soon as early 2nd round so I don't think it's much of a reach. Bears really needed depth in the secondary and a punt returner...and the Bears have had some success with small school DBs before in Charles Tillman and Jerry Azumah.
:thumbup: Thanks, I'm a Coyle guy. He's outside the top 20 (23) in his CB rankings.

1.13 KAMERION WIMBLEY - Cleveland Browns

Fine fit for the Belichick hybrid scheme. Excellent character, football IQ. Projects as an excellent rush LB in the mold of Peter Boulware and a bookend to Willie McGinest.

Needs plenty of work in coverage though and probably doesn't have too much fantasy value in standard leagues unless he proves himself strong in run support and can approach 65-70 solo tackles or is so dominant as an edge rusher he can get 12-15 sacks.

Biggest impact here involves Chaun Thompson and Matt Stewart. Whoever wins the ILB job has value, the other has none.
Perfect fit for system, hand/glove big linerbacker in prototypical Belichick/Crennell mold with pass rush ability that can place his hand down on the LOS. Willie McGhinest as tutor a boost as Pat hybrid defensive line coverts to OLB/DE typically struggle for a few years coming up to speed. Romeo's first year he was reluctant to play rookies early, see Braylon/Frye either so he won't boookend opposite McGhinest early on. Kameron prolbably will be McGhinest's successor on the strong side. For his rookie season I see him weaned into some pass rush packages but I am dubious that he'll waltz in as a starter. Slight reach pick beause he ranked higher on the Brown's board due to system fit. Since he was ranked higher on the Browns board Savage put up a smoke screen about N'Gata but confessed they had been sitting on picking Kameron for two months so Phil saw the opportunity to get an extra sixth rounder from the Rats and took it. May have possibly got mild cap savings. Going by the draft trade chart the Browns came up shy on the deal but I think Savage got a freebie. Browns nation isn't overly excited today but Wimbley should fit in nicely however for fantasy purposes I concur with pretty much everything but McGhinest is older and I think the plan isn't to bookmark Kameron opposite of Willie but to eventually replace him and wean him in on some packages. If he does start opposite of him down the line when Willie is thru I would imagine Wimbley takes over on the strong side but that is my humble opinion.

1.13  KAMERION WIMBLEY - Cleveland Browns

Fine fit for the Belichick hybrid scheme.  Excellent character, football IQ.  Projects as an excellent rush LB in the mold of Peter Boulware and a bookend to Willie McGinest.

Needs plenty of work in coverage though and probably doesn't have too much fantasy value in standard leagues unless he proves himself strong in run support and can approach 65-70 solo tackles or is so dominant as an edge rusher he can get 12-15 sacks.

Biggest impact here involves Chaun Thompson and Matt Stewart.  Whoever wins the ILB job has value, the other has none.
Perfect fit for system, hand/glove big linerbacker in prototypical Belichick/Crennell mold with pass rush ability that can place his hand down on the LOS. Willie McGhinest as tutor a boost as Pat hybrid defensive line coverts to OLB/DE typically struggle for a few years coming up to speed. Romeo's first year he was reluctant to play rookies early, see Braylon/Frye either so he won't boookend opposite McGhinest early on. Kameron prolbably will be McGhinest's successor on the strong side. For his rookie season I see him weaned into some pass rush packages but I am dubious that he'll waltz in as a starter. Slight reach pick beause he ranked higher on the Brown's board due to system fit. Since he was ranked higher on the Browns board Savage put up a smoke screen about N'Gata but confessed they had been sitting on picking Kameron for two months so Phil saw the opportunity to get an extra sixth rounder from the Rats and took it. May have possibly got mild cap savings. Going by the draft trade chart the Browns came up shy on the deal but I think Savage got a freebie. Browns nation isn't overly excited today but Wimbley should fit in nicely however for fantasy purposes I concur with pretty much everything but McGhinest is older and I think the plan isn't to bookmark Kameron opposite of Willie but to eventually replace him and wean him in on some packages. If he does start opposite of him down the line when Willie is thru I would imagine Wimbley takes over on the strong side but that is my humble opinion.
Awesome.Insight like this is very much appreciated.

Jene & Aaron, thanks for the link and information.

I own Peterson and, depending on what happens, he could become a potential sell high candidate, given the depth of defensive prospects in this draft.

2.48 CEDRIC GRIFFIN - Minnesota Vikings

Big corners who are willing in run support and excel in zone coverage schemes like Griffin are perfect fits for the Tampa-2 defense.

Keep an eye on this guy. He has the talent to play safety but probably stays at corner in this scheme. He'll be behind Smoot and Winfield for now but he could follow a Charles Tillman like track and have big value in all leagues fairly soon.

Bernard Pollard

Will he be a S or LB?  Dude can hit!
Interesting question. He doesn't fit the Tampa-2 safety mold with his poor coverage skills. Herm has said he'd like some of that in Gunther's defensive playbook. Pollard is definitely more of an in-the-box defender.He'd need coverage instincts to successful transition to linebacker too. And even though the Tampa-2 backers can be a little undersized, 220 is pushing it.

I think he'll sit behind Sammy Knight and Greg Wesley for a season then take over the SS position.

I'll be interested to hear the Chiefs brass take.

ETA: Scouting service report on Chiefs website suggests he could work as a Cover-2 OLB. Eh. I think he needs 10 pounds and better cover skills. Otherwise he's more likely to be Marquis Cooper than Cato June.

2.35 ROCKY MCINTOSH - Washington Redskins

Good opportunity here to take over the WLB role.

Speedy and mobile, solid tackler. Tough, plays bigger than his size, sheds blocks well. Could improve some in pass coverage.

Looks slated to take over the WLB role soon with only Chris Clemons and Warrick Holdman in his way. Redskins moved way up to get him in this round so he's going to get an opportunity sooner than later. May not be a three down player in Washington with Washington and Marshall there.

Could project to MLB down the line if Marshall leaves.

Another interesting backer in a position to produce in IDP leagues.
In an interview on the NFL Network, Gibbs said they see Rocky as a 3-down guy. Of course, that could mean either Marshall or Washington isn't, and the were both good in passing downs last year. Washington could move to DE in passing situations, opposite Carter. Not sure how this will work out. But, it definitely means Marshall will stay in the middle. There was some talk this offseason about the Skins grabbing a MLB and moving Marshall back to WLB.

Users who are viewing this thread