What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 RB Rankings...1 view (Prelim) (1 Viewer)

Pass_The_Peas

Footballguy
With a Zealots dynasty league opening soon, drafting will be this spring and I'm trying to put together my rankings for that. I know alot can happen before the season starts, but that's the chance you take. So, I'm trying to minimize the unexpected.

Anyways, as per Ted Carlson over at Fanball, he looks ahead to the coming year:

The running back list will fluctuate more than any other position over the next eight months. Coaching changes, the draft, injuries, free agency, open competitions, committee whispers, offensive line changes, and other factors will undoubtedly disrupt the following order. That being said, here's a quick look at this editor's 2006 running back rankings without the rookies (Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Laurence Maroney, etc.) and with a feeling that it's currently best to steer clear of injuries and committees (Jets, Packers, Bears, Titans, etc.).

1. Shaun Alexander, Seahawks/FA: The MVP has to stay in Seattle, right? Beware the loss of guard Steve Hutchinson.

2. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers: His four-year averages are 2,038 total yards and 19 total touchdowns.

3. Larry Johnson, Chiefs: Questions about the coaching staff, offensive line, and Priest Holmes' status.

4. Edgerrin James, Colts/FA: He's here until we know where he's playing next year.

5. Tiki Barber, Giants: Age is a concern, but three of the past four seasons have been great.

6. Rudi Johnson, Bengals: His upside is limited by miniscule receiving stats.

7. Clinton Portis, Redskins: Gibbs and Portis got on the same page this season.

8. Carnell Williams, Buccaneers: Mike Alstott's retirement would help his scoring.

9. Corey Dillon, Patriots: The touchdowns are great, but he's broken down in two of the last three seasons.

10. LaMont Jordan, Raiders: New coach could affect his ranking but don't discount his great receiving stats.

11. Willis McGahee, Bills: If he can manage 1,247 yards in an awful season, his ceiling remains pretty high.

12. Steven Jackson, Rams: We need to see the new coach and O-line improvements before he moves up.

13. Willie Parker, Steelers: If Jerome Bettis retires, Fast Willie will see more goal line action.

14. Deuce McAllister, Saints: ACL victims often need two full seasons to be back to 100 percent.

15. Brian Westbrook, Eagles: Philly RBs managed 2,465 total yards and 27 touchdowns the season before T.O. showed up.

16. Mike Anderson, Broncos: He's still Shanahan's starter until we hear differently.

17. Julius Jones, Cowboys: Parcells needs to shore up the O-line (again).

18. Domanick Davis, Texans: Double-D is hanging in limbo land until Bush Day.

19. Jamal Lewis, Ravens/FA: The current bet is that the Ravens retain Lewis over Chester Taylor.

20. Ronnie Brown, Dolphins: Higher if Ricky goes; maybe lower if Ricky stays.

21. Tatum Bell, Broncos: Early pick to be the 2006 version of L.J. (2005) or McGahee (2004).

22. Reuben Droughns, Browns: Potential holdout is a problem but O-line projects to improve.

23. Kevin Jones, Lions: Tempted to not rank him, but it has to get better, right?

24. Warrick Dunn, Falcons: If he was younger and still caught passes, he'd be higher.

25. Priest Holmes, Chiefs: Will he retire? If not, will he be back with the Chiefs? If so, what role?

Bust: Thomas Jones, Bears: We spent nearly all of the 2005 offseason and regular season predicting the demise of Jones and the rise of Cedric Benson. Why stop now?

Sleeper (1): Greg Jones, Jaguars: Jack Del Rio's club finished in the top-10 in both rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, and Jones looks ready to take on more of the load.

Sleeper (2): DeShaun Foster, Panthers/FA: It may not be quite as stringent as Samuel Alito's process, but the Panthers are putting Foster through a lengthy tryout as the workhorse back. If he passes and earns a contract, there's decent fantasy potential.

Thoughts from the Sharks?

I like Gado over Kevin Jones personally and Ricky Williams could be as productive as Brown next year even if hes in Miami.

9. Corey Dillon, Patriots: The touchdowns are great, but he's broken down in two of the last three seasons.
Too high
10. LaMont Jordan, Raiders: New coach could affect his ranking but don't discount his great receiving stats.
Flip him with Portis
11. Willis McGahee, Bills: If he can manage 1,247 yards in an awful season, his ceiling remains pretty high.
Too high ntil things are fixed in Buffalo.
13. Willie Parker, Steelers: If Jerome Bettis retires, Fast Willie will see more goal line action.
Way too high.
16. Mike Anderson, Broncos: He's still Shanahan's starter until we hear differently.
Way too high.

Too low
19. Jamal Lewis, Ravens/FA: The current bet is that the Ravens retain Lewis over Chester Taylor.
Too high. He's done IMO

Too high.
Way too high.
Too high. He's done IMO
Are you aware that Portis was the #6 RB this year? How is 7 too high when the guy got better every week of the season it seems? The Wash O has plain and simply found it's stride and Portis will not be looking back from here on out.Anderson IS still the starter in Den. Untill that changes he is a top 10 RB. I'm sure the inevitable speculation will start at some point during the offseason as to who the starter will be Den, but why don't we wait for something concrete before creating this snowball.

Lewis was severly hampered by inadequate training and medical attention heading into this season. Saying he is done is WAY too premature. This is one of the most physically gifted runners in the league when he is on top of his game. He is still only 27 and will likely be near that point again next season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you aware that Portis was the #6 RB this year? How is 7 too high when the guy got better every week of the season it seems? The Wash O has plain and simply found it's stride and Portis will not be looking back from here on out.
He wasn't 6 in my leagues. Too high IMO because he doesn't see the endzone enough.
Anderson IS still the starter in Den. Untill that changes he is a top 10 RB. I'm sure the inevitable speculation will start at some point during the offseason as to who the starter will be Den, but why don't we wait for something concrete before creating this snowball.
He's going to be 33, correct? His contract his up or he's due a large chunk of $ for 2006, correct? Not top 10.
Lewis was severly hampered by inadequate training and medical attention heading into this season. Saying he is done is WAY too premature. This is one of the most physically gifted runners in the league when he is on top of his game. He is still only 27 and will likely be near that point again next season.
It's my opinion he's done. Saying he will return to studly is premature.

Are you aware that Portis was the #6 RB this year?  How is 7 too high when the guy got better every week of the season it seems?  The Wash O has plain and simply found it's stride and Portis will not be looking back from here on out.
He wasn't 6 in my leagues. Too high IMO because he doesn't see the endzone enough.
:confused: What's the scoring in your league then? He's 6 in my ppr league, and 8 in my regular performance league.

I wouldn't stick a fork in Thomas Jones just yet. I've seen a good handful of Bears games this year, including the playoff game and the guy can simply play. I think Jones has another good year next year while Benson owners will have to wait for him to get injured.

Too high
Flip him with Portis
Too high ntil things are fixed in Buffalo.
Way too high.
Way too high.

Too low
Too high. He's done IMO
So DD is to low with Reggie Bush coming to town but Portis going from #9 to #6 in the last 2 years doesn't desreve the #7 ranking? Why? Your opinion is your opinion I just don't get it.

Without reading the other posts (get an unbiased opinion...)

Dynasty is the key here.

Too high:

5. Tiki Barber, Giants: - DYNASTY, redraft sure.

9. Corey Dillon, Patriots: Again, same idea

13. Willie Parker, Steelers: I don't see him as a workhorse

16. Mike Anderson, Broncos: RBBC, there are better younger options left

25. Priest Holmes, Chiefs: I want my RB 2 / top of the 3's to play more than 1 year.

Too Low:

8. Carnell Williams, Buccaneers:

10. LaMont Jordan, Raiders: If Saunders is the guy, watch out.

17. Julius Jones, Cowboys:

Too Low:

Agree. He's be no lower than 4 in any dynasty ranking I'd make. Just for giggles without any real analysis....1. LJ

2. LT2

3. SA

4. Carnell

That sounds about right when factoring in age with sytem and production.

Too Low:

Agree. He's be no lower than 4 in any dynasty ranking I'd make. Just for giggles without any real analysis....1. LJ

2. LT2

3. SA

4. Carnell

That sounds about right when factoring in age with sytem and production.
There is no way that Caddy is that high or above Portis. :no:

Assuming Priest retires, which I believe will happen, LJ is #1 IMO and I don't think it's really that close. I have to think Steven Jackson should be higher without Martz but he's been somewhat of a disappointment. If Miami deals Ricky, Brown is top 12-15.I'll take Jordan at about 6 or 7 if the Raiders can get a servicable QB. The guy is a very good RB and if they can get a new coach in there and be more competitive, he'll get more touches.

4. Carnell
There is no way that Caddy is that high or above Portis. :no:
While I wouldn't put him ahead of Portis, it isn't outlandish to think so_Off hand, using the "Colin method of no analysis" ;)

1a. LT

1b. LJ

3. Alexander

4. Portis

5. Caddy

Ok, I thought about it for a minute. I'd consider them equal right now. I just like LT's attitude more.

So DD is to low with Reggie Bush coming to town
I don't believe Bush will end up as a Texan.
but Portis going from #9 to #6 in the last 2 years doesn't desreve the #7 ranking? Why? Your opinion is your opinion I just don't get it.
Lack of TDs + uncertainty at QB in the near future.

Oh, and if Ricky does leave Miami, Ronnie Brown shoots up right behind Caddy.BTW, feel free to check out the Dynasty polls.Currently on #50

1 - Tomlinson San Diego Chargers2 - Shaun Alexander Seattle Seahawks3- Larry Johnson Kansas City Chiefs4 - EDGE Indianapolis Colts5 - Steven Jackson St. Louis Rams6 - Willis McGahee Buffalo Bills7 - Clinton Portis, Washington Redskins8 - Lamont Jordan, Oakland RaidersLinks to 7 and the Run-off9 - Caddillac Williams Tampa Bay Bucs10 - Ronnie Brown Miami Dolphins11 - Kevin Jones Detroit Lions12 - Deuce New Orleans Saints13 - Brian Westbrook Philadelphia Eagles14 - Reggie Bush Houston Jets Who knows?15 - Tiki Barber New York Giants16 - Dom Davis Houston Texans17 - Rudi Johnson Cincinati Bengals18 - Julius Jones Dallas Cowboys19 - Jamal Lewis Baltimore Ravens20 - Cedric Benson Chicago Bears21(t) - Chris Brown, Tennessee Titans21(t) - Deshaun Foster, Carolina Panthers23 - Tatum Bell, Denver Broncos24 - DeAngelo Williams, NCAA25 - Thomas Jones, Chicago Bears26 - Chris Perry27 - Reuben Droughns28 - Warrick Dunn29 - Ricky Williams30 - Willie Parker31 - Corey Dillon32t - LenDale White32t - Lawrence Maroney34 - Frank Gore35 - Ahman Green36 - Chester Taylor37t - TJ Duckett37t - Samkon Gado39 - Fred Taylor40 - JJ Arrington41 - Mewelde Moore42 - Greg Jones43 - Kevan Barlow44 - Marion Barber 345 - Mike Anderson46 - Ryan Moats47 - Michael Turner48 - Cedric Houston49 - Brian Calhoun ®

With a Zealots dynasty league opening soon, drafting will be this spring and I'm trying to put together my rankings for that. I know alot can happen before the season starts, but that's the chance you take. So, I'm trying to minimize the unexpected.

The running back list will fluctuate more than any other position over the next eight months. Coaching changes, the draft, injuries, free agency, open competitions, committee whispers, offensive line changes, and other factors will undoubtedly disrupt the following order. That being said, here's a quick look at this editor's 2006 running back rankings without the rookies (Reggie Bush, DeAngelo Williams, Laurence Maroney, etc.) and with a feeling that it's currently best to steer clear of injuries and committees (Jets, Packers, Bears, Titans, etc.).

1. Shaun Alexander, Seahawks/FA: The MVP has to stay in Seattle, right? Beware the loss of guard Steve Hutchinson.

2. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers: His four-year averages are 2,038 total yards and 19 total touchdowns.

3. Larry Johnson, Chiefs: Questions about the coaching staff, offensive line, and Priest Holmes' status.

4. Edgerrin James, Colts/FA: He's here until we know where he's playing next year.

5. Tiki Barber, Giants: Age is a concern, but three of the past four seasons have been great.

8. Carnell Williams, Buccaneers: Mike Alstott's retirement would help his scoring.

12. Steven Jackson, Rams: We need to see the new coach and O-line improvements before he moves up.

14. Deuce McAllister, Saints: ACL victims often need two full seasons to be back to 100 percent.

15. Brian Westbrook, Eagles: Philly RBs managed 2,465 total yards and 27 touchdowns the season before T.O. showed up.

20. Ronnie Brown, Dolphins: Higher if Ricky goes; maybe lower if Ricky stays.

21. Tatum Bell, Broncos: Early pick to be the 2006 version of L.J. (2005) or McGahee (2004).

22. Reuben Droughns, Browns: Potential holdout is a problem but O-line projects to improve.

23. Kevin Jones, Lions: Tempted to not rank him, but it has to get better, right?

24. Warrick Dunn, Falcons: If he was younger and still caught passes, he'd be higher.

25. Priest Holmes, Chiefs: Will he retire? If not, will he be back with the Chiefs? If so, what role?

Bust: Thomas Jones, Bears: We spent nearly all of the 2005 offseason and regular season predicting the demise of Jones and the rise of Cedric Benson. Why stop now?

Sleeper (1): Greg Jones, Jaguars: Jack Del Rio's club finished in the top-10 in both rushing yards and rushing touchdowns, and Jones looks ready to take on more of the load.

Sleeper (2): DeShaun Foster, Panthers/FA: It may not be quite as stringent as Samuel Alito's process, but the Panthers are putting Foster through a lengthy tryout as the workhorse back. If he passes and earns a contract, there's decent fantasy potential.

Steven Jackson aobve Willis for sure.I like Portis better than Rudi.

I think Deuce McAllister is done.

Julius and Jamal will have better season next year.

Dillon out of the top 15

but Portis going from #9 to #6 in the last 2 years doesn't desreve the #7 ranking? Why? Your opinion is your opinion I just don't get it.

Portis scored 11 TDs though. How is that a lack?

To me this has to be the story of the offseason (followed closely by Holmes retirement), I'm curious to see where one of the best offensive guards in football ends up.I would love to see him in a Bears uni.

What's wrong with 11 td's (6 in the last 5 games.) I think in a redraft Mr. Portis has to be in the top 5. I also agree that LJ would top my list followed closely my LT. Due to Shaun's age he would maybe fall back to #5 or so.

Uncertain about qb future? They have (2) #1 draft picks fighting for the spot of a vetern that did a very good job once getting down the system. I can think of alot worser conditions than (2) #1's to have to choose from.

This is obviously not a dynasty list. Not sure why some of you think it is.
Yeah, really, what are we thinking?
With a Zealots dynasty league opening soon, drafting will be this spring and I'm trying to put together my rankings for that.
Oh, yeah, that "Dynasty league" part. ;)

With a Zealots dynasty league opening soon, drafting will be this spring and I'm trying to put together my rankings for that.
These aren't his rankings for the dynasty. These are fanball's rankings for a redraft, ####### ;)

These aren't his rankings for the dynasty. These are fanball's rankings for a redraft, ####### ;)
Uh huh, and he asked for commentary for his dynasty rankings. At least my comments weren't "WTF are you thinking", they were to bump a player up or down from this list for his list.

I think this is too high for Rudi. Cinci has eveolved into an Indianapolis-esque offense in the sense that they like to throw the ball in the redzone now (see Chris Perry and Chris Henry). Also, I think Perry will start taking more and more touches from Rudi...especially in the redzone. I'd put Rudi in the middle of the pack somewhere.p.s.

I had Rudi this year.

Users who are viewing this thread