What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Rookie Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

From everything that I have seen from McFadden, can he run between the tackles? He runs outside very well because of his blazing speed, however I haven't seen him consistantly run between the tackles successfully. Unless there was a huge hole or cut-back lane, I haven't seen it thus-far. Felix Jones also has that blazing speed, however they are no Caddy/Ronnie Brown because both of them ran between the tackles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knowing nearly as much as many draftniks here... and looking at the overall comments... It certainly seems that we need to focus on the WRs talent this year (for those that have not drafted yet) with the pendelum swinging completely in next year's draft... I think that's a given, right?

Where would you rank the top five at each position (adding QBs if you want to) compared to this year's class?...
QBsBrian Brohm, Louisville

JaMarcus Russell, LSU

Colt Brennan, Hawaii

Brady Quinn, Notre Dame

Chad Henne, Michigan

Trent Edwards, Stanford

Eric Ainge, Tennessee

Andre Woodson, Kentucky

Drew Stanton, Michigan State

Matt Ryan, BC

I'd say Brohm will probly have about the same grade as Russell coming out assuming he stays healthy. Edwards and Ainge also could have very similar value if Ainge remains inconsistent. (Now without Meachem, I expect him to regress a bit). Woodson's value could fluctuate alot but he should remain a 2nd Rounder IMO. Ryan isn't incredibly evasive but has good enough size and intangibles to be basically a 2nd/3rd Rounder.

RBs

Darren McFadden, Arkansas*

Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma

Steve Slaton, West Virginia*

Marshawn Lynch, California

Jonathan Stewart, Oregon*

James Davis, Clemson*

Jamaal Charles, Texas*

Ray Rice, Rutgers*

Michael Hart, Michigan, Sn

Yes, all of the guys above should rate better than Pittman, Irons, Bush, etc from the '07 class. Only question is weather all the underclassmen (*) will come out. I would say Rice may come back because he has less competition among other RBs at Rutgers as it stands in '09. He could solidify himself as RB1 in '09 if he does decide to stay for his senior year. McFadden should be a top 5 overall pick assuming he stays healthy. Slaton and Stewart's value could fluctuate alot as they face some big questions (system, productivity respectively), but I expect they'll both grade out very close to Lynch. Davis, Charles, and Rice could prove to be very successful backs in a RBBC situation early in their careers. Hart is a guy taht the NFL will see with limited upside due to his lacking physical abilities. If he proves he can again be very productive against some tough D's in his Senior year then he could grade out as a 2nd Round pick.

I find that predicting how the WRs will grade out is pointless as alot depends on how the offense performs and how they run in the combine. Manningham and Jackson should both grade around where Ginn was valued in '07. The rest (Sweed, Bowman, Hall, Doucet, Kelly, Bennett, Monk, etc) have the potential to be the next Meachem/Bowe.

From everything that I have seen from McFadden, can he run between the tackles? He runs outside very well because of his blazing speed, however I haven't seen him consistantly run between the tackles successfully. Unless there was a huge hole or cut-back lane, I haven't seen it thus-far. Felix Jones also has that blazing speed, however they are no Caddy/Ronnie Brown because both of them ran between the tackles.
McFadden is primarily a between the tackles runner. There's very little outside running even in his highlights. He is feared by DBs because sometimes he just flat lays the lumber on them instead of try to shake them. He has some of the most stunning power runs I have seen in a few years. The concern may be valid of Felix, but I am convinced we are seeing the same thing in the NFL that we see in college, and I see no reason to over-think the issue anymore... Norwood, Jones-Drew, Bush... all had the same concerns... they appear to be invalid. Felix has the same basic measureables that Reggie did... 6-0 200, great hands, vision, moves, speed, and just not quite the upper body strength and total freak athleticism. But he's a good'n.

McFadden is primarily a between the tackles runner. There's very little outside running even in his highlights. He is feared by DBs because sometimes he just flat lays the lumber on them instead of try to shake them. He has some of the most stunning power runs I have seen in a few years. The concern may be valid of Felix, but I am convinced we are seeing the same thing in the NFL that we see in college, and I see no reason to over-think the issue anymore... Norwood, Jones-Drew, Bush... all had the same concerns... they appear to be invalid. Felix has the same basic measureables that Reggie did... 6-0 200, great hands, vision, moves, speed, and just not quite the upper body strength and total freak athleticism. But he's a good'n.
McFadden looks alot like a young Michael Bennet to me. He seems best at running by people and choosing seams/lanes that allow him to do so. He easily strides by defenders but prefers not to make them miss.

I don't really know what to make of McFadden. He's fast, but he looks like a bit of a straight line runner. He actually reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush, but without the sick jukes and lateral quickness.

Slaton is an interesting prospect. He reminds me of Tomlinson in some ways, but is he just another West Virginia system back? I think the combine will be very telling for him.

Rice is a sneaky prospect. He seems to lack top burst, but he has the compact, squatty build of a top NFL RB. He looks decently shifty and mobile.

Davis is solid, but there's not much of a "wow" factor with him, meaning he doesn't make many impressive plays.

Stewart is the wild card of the bunch. I think when all is said and done, he's going to emerge as the NFL draft RB2 from this class. He has decent skills and should be a workout warrior.

Not sold on Mike Hart.

McFadden reminds me a little of Shaun Alexander with speed...a little like Tomlinson....

It seems people get prone to hyperbole when looking at young guys, but McFadden is a very special player. I don't know if he will be a good pro, as I'd like to see how he does this season. That said, he absolutely put on a show against the Vols last season. On one series, they didn't even have a QB in the game, instead just hiking it to McFadden. Everyone on Planet Knoxville knew what was going to happen and the team still couldn't stop him from gaining 10 yards a clip.

Every "inside run" he was basically untouched. He didn't run anyone over or make a juke that got him out of the defenders way. I didn't see much different from him in the Wisconsin game last year either.

McFadden appears to be big and fast. However, his agility and tough running skills are what need to be determined.

Every "inside run" he was basically untouched. He didn't run anyone over or make a juke that got him out of the defenders way. I didn't see much different from him in the Wisconsin game last year either.

McFadden appears to be big and fast. However, his agility and tough running skills are what need to be determined.
Well, that's how highlights are and why I often say you cannot evaluate an RB from highlights. Tune in this season, you will see a very complete player with exceptional power.

I don't really know what to make of McFadden. He's fast, but he looks like a bit of a straight line runner. He actually reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush, but without the sick jukes and lateral quickness. Slaton is an interesting prospect. He reminds me of Tomlinson in some ways, but is he just another West Virginia system back? I think the combine will be very telling for him. Rice is a sneaky prospect. He seems to lack top burst, but he has the compact, squatty build of a top NFL RB. He looks decently shifty and mobile. Davis is solid, but there's not much of a "wow" factor with him, meaning he doesn't make many impressive plays. Stewart is the wild card of the bunch. I think when all is said and done, he's going to emerge as the NFL draft RB2 from this class. He has decent skills and should be a workout warrior. Not sold on Mike Hart.
I rank Slaton above McFadden in the same sense I prefer Bush to Peterson. Great prospects all, but give me the versatile player who takes less punishment in the long run. Ah phooey, this is far from finished... but here's my current rankings... 1. *Steve Slaton -2. *Darren McFadden -3. *Felix Jones -4. *Jonathan Stewart -5. *Ray Rice -6. *Ian Johnson -7. *James Davis -8. *Antone Smith -9. Mike Hart -10. *Tyrell Sutton -11. *Rafael Little -12. Chris Markey -13. *Jamaal Charles -14. Kelvin McRae -15. Allen Patrick -I deleted a bunch of code, stats, measureables and text, as I am hoping to publish something over at draftguys, some of my key points...Felix Jones way underrated. Stewart has some serious issues going on. He wants to turn pro. He is being heavily counseled not to. He gets dinged a lot and he isn't coming near the speed that was once reported. More like 4.6 or 4.7 speed this spring and last year. He has struggled to learn the offense, pass protect and catch the ball. He was put in RBBC at the end of the season because he was having lots of difficulties. He started the season looking great. I have a huge red flag on this kid. I see know way to draft him over Slaton or McFadden.Ian Johnson is being overlooked and I don't know why. He was no fluke. 1700 yards and 25 TDs with great performances against the best defenses he faced and often doing most of the work after contact. He's a real nice player. Jamaal Charles - Marc Faletti has the goods on his downgrade, and I am buying it.My group at 8-13 can be shuffled with little disagreement from me.The two at 14 and 15 are primed to make big moves next year. By the time I finish writing this they will both probably be top 10.Here's the thought that could prove most important, and the topic I have been sleuthing out for a couple weeks. I think a bunch of these underclassmen will stay in school, and the class of 08 is mostly hype without the substance many expect.

Chaos Commish said:
Stewart has some serious issues going on. He wants to turn pro. He is being heavily counseled not to. He gets dinged a lot and he isn't coming near the speed that was once reported. More like 4.6 or 4.7 speed this spring and last year. He has struggled to learn the offense, pass protect and catch the ball. He was put in RBBC at the end of the season because he was having lots of difficulties. He started the season looking great. I have a huge red flag on this kid. I see know way to draft him over Slaton or McFadden.
:) Had he just stayed home here in Seattle under Willingham's guidance...

Chaos Commish said:
Stewart has some serious issues going on. He wants to turn pro. He is being heavily counseled not to. He gets dinged a lot and he isn't coming near the speed that was once reported. More like 4.6 or 4.7 speed this spring and last year. He has struggled to learn the offense, pass protect and catch the ball. He was put in RBBC at the end of the season because he was having lots of difficulties. He started the season looking great. I have a huge red flag on this kid. I see know way to draft him over Slaton or McFadden.
:banned: Had he just stayed home here in Seattle under Willingham's guidance...
Meh, this is a mea culpa and the 2nd year in a row I got bad intel straight from an Oregon U employee. A better informed little bird right here at FBGs corrected this in PMs. Stewart took the Pac 10 60 yard dash in a great time. He is running very fastand obviously over the little dings that slowed him down last year. I would refer back to EBFs comments. Stewart has the measureables and reputation to tear it up (finally) and go very high in the draft.

Chaos Commish said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Chaos Commish said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:

Well, that's how highlights are and why I often say you cannot evaluate an RB from highlights. Tune in this season, you will see a very complete player with exceptional power.
This is not just due to a highlight film, but anyways. Due to his upright running style, injuries, and lack of agility. I see him as the #2 back at best.

I had a nagging feeling I was leaving someone out (probably a few).
Derrick Williams will only declare if he has a great year, but he's another who looked like a dominant player at his best. Contrux? What ya got?
Ehh...not as high on him as I was. I think he's still working on his WR skills and although he's a great athlete, it looks like he needs a lot of space to operate. In other words, he doesn't seem to be able to fake people out that well. Of course, judging anyone who is not a RB in the Penn State offense is difficult. My favorite player is TE Andrew Quarles, but he's just a SO this year.

McFadden isn't a real natural runner. It's a concern, but I'm not saying he won't be good. I'm curious to see how him & Felix Jones work together this season.

I am an SEC homer and have seen a lot of McFadden, and agree with a lot of what has been said here. He doesn't seem to have that "hard" lateral juke, but rather is very good at slight changes in direction at top speed, using his ability to accelerate quickly to outrun defenders up the middle who seem to have an angle on him. How that will translate to the NFL I don't know.

The guy I have my eye on next year is Brad Lester. With an inferior Kenny Irons out of the way I believe this guy will really shine in Auburn this year. The guy runs into the hole looking to kill people.

I am an SEC homer and have seen a lot of McFadden, and agree with a lot of what has been said here. He doesn't seem to have that "hard" lateral juke, but rather is very good at slight changes in direction at top speed, using his ability to accelerate quickly to outrun defenders up the middle who seem to have an angle on him. How that will translate to the NFL I don't know.The guy I have my eye on next year is Brad Lester. With an inferior Kenny Irons out of the way I believe this guy will really shine in Auburn this year. The guy runs into the hole looking to kill people.
Yeah, he looked great in The Last Boy Scout.

Jamaal Charles - Marc Faletti has the goods on his downgrade, and I am buying it.

What was the downgrade on Charles? I did a search and couldn't find it. Thanks.

Every time I see McFadden he reminds me of a skinny Shaun Alexander. He's got those same skinny legs and the same running style. Less jukes, more hit the hole. And he's almost WR-ish in stature. I have my doubts on how that will translate to the next level, but it's obviously working for Shaun.

2008 Consensous Draft Rankings (compiled from NFLDraftDog.com, WalterFootball.com, DraftStock.com)

Senior QBs

1. Brian Brohm, Louisville (1.00)

2. Chad Henne, Michigan (3.00)

3. Matt Ryan, Boston College (3.66)

4. Colt Brennan, Hawaii (4.00)

5. John David Booty, USC (4.33)

6. Andre Woodson, Kentucky (6.00)

7. Eric Ainge, Tennessee (6.33)

honorable mentions: Matt Flynn, Sam Keller, Paul Smith, Josh Johnson, Anthony Morelli, Bret Meyer, Dennis Dixon, Ricky Santos

My first impression was that I wasn't very surprised about the top 2, but at 3 Matt Ryan seems to be sneaking up the charts based on the fact that he's been a winner. At the same time, I've seen many BC games and the only aspect of his game that stands out is his ability to perform under pressure (in the pocket and in crunch-time situations). He also has good size for an NFL QB. But his arm and mobility are below avergae for a first-day draft prospect IMO. Brennan will have lingering questions about being a system QB but he can silence some critics by breaking records this year. The only sure thing is that some NFL team will fall in love with his potential enough to grab him in the 1st day. His draft workouts will be heavily scrutinized, but my feeling is that he has the intangibles to become a solid, if not unspectacular NFL starter. Booty gets credit for name recognition but i think he had a subpar performance last year considering the weapons he had. He also has a good arm and great size for an NFL QB and his USC pedigree will warrant him being one of the first 3 QBs taken in the '08 draft. Woodson will be the standout of the pre-draft workouts but he has to lead his team to more wins in '07 to impress the doubters. He will have his shot against plenty of solid SEC Defenses. Ditto Ainge who also has to overcoem some durability concerns.

Matt Flynn played sparingly last year and Sam Keller didn't play at all as he transferred to Nebraska after being benched for Carpenter at Arizona State. Flynn played very well in limited time in his Sophmore season and there was even talk of him taking over for the incumbent Senior, JaMarcus Russell (going into last season). Keller was very impressive as a Sophmore and Junior but was beaten out by a player who could not lead his team to a Bowl game last year after being a preseason top 25 team. Keller hasn't played a full season since '04 and while he has nice tools, he will have to lead Nebraska to a decent Bowl in a new Offense to be considered a viable NFL Draft pick IMO. Admittedly, I know little about Smith and Johnson, but the non Big-6 Conferences have produced some high draft picks in recent years. Anthony Morelli, Bret Meyer, and Dennis Dixon all are very talented athletic type QBs, the latter being the most likely to have to change positions as an NFL prospect.

Ricky Santos is a solid QB with decent athletisism and accuracy and has the intangibles. He's been a winner since his days in tri-valley league where I grew up (so I'm potentially bias). Nonetheless, he is a good talent, but questions are abound for any D1AA QB trying to make it to the NFL. I think he'll get a shot and end up being a very solid QB in another league ...too bad NFL Europa is now defunct.

2008 Consensous Draft Rankings (compiled from NFLDraftDog.com, WalterFootball.com, DraftStock.com)

Senior QBs

honorable mentions: Matt Flynn, Sam Keller, Paul Smith, Josh Johnson, Anthony Morelli, Bret Meyer, Dennis Dixon, Ricky Santos

My first impression was that I wasn't very surprised about the top 2, but at 3 Matt Ryan seems to be sneaking up the charts based on the fact that he's been a winner. At the same time, I've seen many BC games and the only aspect of his game that stands out is his ability to perform under pressure (in the pocket and in crunch-time situations). He also has good size for an NFL QB. But his arm and mobility are below avergae for a first-day draft prospect IMO. Brennan will have lingering questions about being a system QB but he can silence some critics by breaking records this year. The only sure thing is that some NFL team will fall in love with his potential enough to grab him in the 1st day. His draft workouts will be heavily scrutinized, but my feeling is that he has the intangibles to become a solid, if not unspectacular NFL starter. Booty gets credit for name recognition but i think he had a subpar performance last year considering the weapons he had. He also has a good arm and great size for an NFL QB and his USC pedigree will warrant him being one of the first 3 QBs taken in the '08 draft. Woodson will be the standout of the pre-draft workouts but he has to lead his team to more wins in '07 to impress the doubters. He will have his shot against plenty of solid SEC Defenses. Ditto Ainge who also has to overcoem some durability concerns.

Matt Flynn played sparingly last year and Sam Keller didn't play at all as he transferred to Nebraska after being benched for Carpenter at Arizona State. Flynn played very well in limited time in his Sophmore season and there was even talk of him taking over for the incumbent Senior, JaMarcus Russell (going into last season). Keller was very impressive as a Sophmore and Junior but was beaten out by a player who could not lead his team to a Bowl game last year after being a preseason top 25 team. Keller hasn't played a full season since '04 and while he has nice tools, he will have to lead Nebraska to a decent Bowl in a new Offense to be considered a viable NFL Draft pick IMO. Admittedly, I know little about Smith and Johnson, but the non Big-6 Conferences have produced some high draft picks in recent years. Anthony Morelli, Bret Meyer, and Dennis Dixon all are very talented athletic type QBs, the latter being the most likely to have to change positions as an NFL prospect.

Ricky Santos is a solid QB with decent athletisism and accuracy and has the intangibles. He's been a winner since his days in tri-valley league where I grew up (so I'm potentially bias). Nonetheless, he is a good talent, but questions are abound for any D1AA QB trying to make it to the NFL. I think he'll get a shot and end up being a very solid QB in another league ...too bad NFL Europa is now defunct.
It's questionable that Keller was actually beaten out by Carpenter last year. He was named the starter by Koetter at the end of Fall camp, and then without another snap being taken Koetter changed his mind two days later when Carpenter threatened to transfer. Based on what I know from Keller on the Nebraska scout team last season, and how he looked in Spring practices, I expect a big season. He'll be a first day prospect.

Senior QBs

It's questionable that Keller was actually beaten out by Carpenter last year. He was named the starter by Koetter at the end of Fall camp, and then without another snap being taken Koetter changed his mind two days later when Carpenter threatened to transfer. Based on what I know from Keller on the Nebraska scout team last season, and how he looked in Spring practices, I expect a big season. He'll be a first day prospect.
Good info.Yeah the whole Carpenter/Keller/Koetter thing was a fiasco. Tough luck for Keotter considering most coaches probly would've done the same thing if they were in his shoes.

Edwards and Ainge also could have very similar value if Ainge remains inconsistent. (Now without Meachem, I expect him to regress a bit).
careful ... Meachem was a shtud but ...UT can put a 3 WR set on the field that all run sub 4.4 (that is if they ever shake their conservative nature LOL)if they are that fast, i guess we will see about Ainge's longball accuracy :confused:

Keller is a punk! Ryan Leaf with less skills, less intelligence, and a bigger ego. Pass on this turd.

Keller is a punk! Ryan Leaf with less skills, less intelligence, and a bigger ego. Pass on this turd.
:kicksrock: Tell us what you really think, EBF!Maybe Sam was just real immature. I loved his post-game interviews before he transferred. He seemed to have the intelligence and emotional stability of a 7th grader thrown into that situation. So of course he acted macho. I think you're probably right, and I doubt he sniffs the NFL. He did have a very memorable game against Leinart's Trojans, outdueling Matt in the first half, but in the end he went belly up and threw 3 second half picks.

I called Russell over Quinn very early, so I'll push my luck here.

1. Woodson - Just too much game to overlook.

2. Brohm - Better than Quinn, equal to Leinart and Cutler.

3. Ben Olson - Shot at being #1 with one great season.

4. Brennan - all nice...

5. Ainge - prospects, hard...

6. Henne - to rank...

7. Santos - I'm a believer

8. Patrick Cowan - He's going to surprise in the draft next year...

9. Haugabook - :D

10. Ryan/Booty - tie

I called Russell over Quinn very early, so I'll push my luck here.1. Woodson - Just too much game to overlook.2. Brohm - Better than Quinn, equal to Leinart and Cutler.3. Ben Olson - Shot at being #1 with one great season.4. Brennan - all nice...5. Ainge - prospects, hard...6. Henne - to rank...7. Santos - I'm a believer8. Patrick Cowan - He's going to surprise in the draft next year... 9. Haugabook - :confused:10. Ryan/Booty - tie
Only way Olson would jump Brohm is if Brohm is seriously injured and Olson wins the Heisman. He won't pass Henne either based on the body of work in their college careers IMO. Olson was a stud HS propspect but hasn't shown he could outplay his peers (QBs at UCLA). At least you admit Cowan isn't much worse :confused:

I called Russell over Quinn very early, so I'll push my luck here.

1. Woodson - Just too much game to overlook.

2. Brohm - Better than Quinn, equal to Leinart and Cutler.

3. Ben Olson - Shot at being #1 with one great season.

4. Brennan - all nice...

5. Ainge - prospects, hard...

6. Henne - to rank...

7. Santos - I'm a believer

8. Patrick Cowan - He's going to surprise in the draft next year...

9. Haugabook - :)

10. Ryan/Booty - tie
Only way Olson would jump Brohm is if Brohm is seriously injured and Olson wins the Heisman. He won't pass Henne either based on the body of work in their college careers IMO. Olson was a stud HS propspect but hasn't shown he could outplay his peers (QBs at UCLA). At least you admit Cowan isn't much worse :unsure:
Sure Ben has shown he could outplay his peers. He's just been hurt, redshirted and sat for experience. He even outplayed Drew Olson through the spring and summer two years ago according to most eyewitnesses including myself. We were crying for Big Ben before Drew went goofy with the TD passes and miracle comebacks. You were pretty stubborn about Quinn when I didn't hesitate to rank Russell above him well before their bowl games. I don't get too caught up in "body of work" analysis. I look primarily at ability, especially this early. Olson has a ton, probably more than the two I rank above him, but his chances of showing it are running out. Nevertheless ranking talent this early for me is about talent. I'm a clean slate kind of equal opportunity rookie ranker. As the season unfolds I'll have plenty of time to adjust, but if I'm right... like last year and the year before... ;) But don't misunderstand. I like Brohm and Woodson better and I think they are both terrific. I just know that Olson, if he gets it together (big if, I agree), is the closest thing to Elway I have seen in. So, given the fresh start of a new season I would rather acknowledge that early and be positive about him rather than be surprised when the scouts start murmuring.

Slaton is an interesting prospect. He reminds me of Tomlinson in some ways, but is he just another West Virginia system back? I think the combine will be very telling for him. Rice is a sneaky prospect. He seems to lack top burst, but he has the compact, squatty build of a top NFL RB. He looks decently shifty and mobile.
The combine is what you dont want to know about Slaton. Slaton is fast as #### with tons of track speed. I would not be surprised if Super Steve Slaton runs a 4.3 flat at the combine. He has good hands, good lateral movement, and game breaking speed. I mean, game breaking, DBs arent going to catch me, speed. For his size, I think SS is strong enough, however Im not sold on his size. Slaton has had wrist/hand surgery to correct a tiny broken bone in his hand. He has fumble issues late in last season from this issue. What to keep your eye on for next season is how he handles his (our :thumbup: ) business @RU and @USF. Both squads have awesome speed and disicpline on defense. In the end, I would shy away from SS combine numbers, I would be willing to bet he is going to get wicked nasty combine hype.Rice is a stud. Rice is a 30 carry back with good hands which will only get better. He is amazing in between the tackles for his size and seems to get stronger as the game goes on. I dont think he has top10 speed, but I think he should easily be a work horse back in the NFL. I wouldnt be surprised to see him stay his senior year either.

Majority of Slatons highlights are the same
Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4wi10vfJd2Y <- Freshman Highlight reel

Some Patrick White mixed in there :thumbup: . If you want to talk about an intriguing prospect for 2009 (could be 08), PW is the kid. 6'1 ~200 (prolly wet) with 4.35 speed, MLB outfielder arm, above average to good accuracy and a dececnt deep ball. Comparing him to Vick it seems a no-brainer that PW is a better prosepect, but Im not sure about how his frame would handle NFL DE's. PW is a born leader who shines come game day.

Senior QBs

For those with ESPN insider:http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/ins...&id=2963475

The only player not mentioned in my top 7 is Eric Ainge with Sam Keller cracking McShay's top 7.

And the only Senior QB mentioned in McShay's list not seen above is Kyle Wright who has a been a bust at Miami. Anyone see this guy as an NFL-caliber player?

Seems to be some college player drafts going on for Dynasty Leagues. Getting back to the point of this thread...

My top 12 for potential '08 draftees (*Juniors)

1. RB Darren McFadden*

2. RB Steve Slaton*

3. RB Ray Rice*

4. RB Jonathan Stewart*

5. QB Brian Brohm

6. RB Jamaal Charles*

7. RB Felix Jones*

8. RB James Davis*

9. RB Mike Hart

10. QB Andre Woodson

11. WR Mario Manningham*

12. RB Allen Patrick

Just missed: QB Chad Henne, RB Tashard Choice, WRs Adarius Bowman, DeSean Jackson*, Early Doucet, Limas Sweed

McFadden is basically Adrian Peterson without the broken collarbone. Slaton has Tomlinson shiftiness and could vault himself into the top 5 of the NFL draft with a Heisman-like season. Ideally, right now, I'd love to have a top 4 pick. If a Dynasty team were on the lookout for a QB, it's certainly reasonable to take Brohm over anyone outside the top 4. Charles, Jones and Davis have very nice upside who can go a long way in proving their worth in this coming season. Hart has basically proven himself to be a reliable 'back, but will need to impress in pre-draft workouts to be considered a potential starting NFL RB. Woodson will have scouts salivating though I'm not buying it until he beats some big name SEC teams. Manningham just needs to stay healthy this year to stay atop my draft board, but I love Bowman and can see him sneaking up draft boards if he can improve his speed.

Seems to be some college player drafts going on for Dynasty Leagues. Getting back to the point of this thread...

1. RB Darren McFadden*

2. RB Steve Slaton*

3. RB Ray Rice*

4. RB Jonathan Stewart*

5. QB Brian Brohm

6. RB Jamaal Charles*

7. RB Felix Jones*

8. RB James Davis*

9. RB Mike Hart

10. QB Andre Woodson

11. WR Mario Manningham*

12. RB Allen Patrick

Just missed: QB Chad Henne, RB Tashard Choice, WRs Adarius Bowman, DeSean Jackson*, Early Doucet, Limas Sweed

McFadden is basically Adrian Peterson without the broken collarbone. Slaton has Tomlinson shiftiness and could vault himself into the top 5 of the NFL draft with a Heisman-like season. Ideally, right now, I'd love to have a top 4 pick. If a Dynasty team were on the lookout for a QB, it's certainly reasonable to take Brohm over anyone outside the top 4. Charles, Jones and Davis have very nice upside who can go a long way in proving their worth in this coming season. Hart has basically proven himself to be a reliable 'back, but will need to impress in pre-draft workouts to be considered a potential starting NFL RB. Woodson will have scouts salivating though I'm not buying it until he beats some big name SEC teams. Manningham just needs to stay healthy this year to stay atop my draft board, but I love Bowman and can see him sneaking up draft boards if he can improve his speed.
McFadden is going to be the #1 pick in rookie drafts next year. He doesn't show much lateral agility in his highlights (he's a straight line runner), but his athletic ability is evident and you can't ignore his production or the fact that he's going to be a top 15 pick. Slaton is a little bit of an enigma. He has real home run speed, but is he a product of the system? Every West Virginia back puts up numbers. The combine will be an important part of my evaluation of Slaton because it should provide an argument regarding whether or not he has legit NFL athletic ability.

I like Rice. He's going to be a player in the NFL. He doesn't have the flashy speed of Slaton and McFadden, but he's built like a tank and he runs like a professional. I think he has the potential to be a Frank Gore type at the next level. I looove the way he runs. If he had home run speed I'd take him over McFadden.

Stewart is a wild card. He has an NFL build and NFL athletic ability, but he hasn't put up the gaudy numbers just yet. He could rise up the charts this season. I'm not sure if he's the next Corey Dillon or the next James Stewart, but he should be a pretty high pick.

Right now, these four guys are the top tier of eligible backs for the 2008 class. They all have first round potential.

DeSean Jackson is my top WR at the moment. He's similar to Ted Ginn, but with a much more polished WR game. I look for him to have a big season and solidify himself as a top 10 pick in the NFL draft.

My tentative early top 5 is as follows:

1. Darren McFadden

2. Steve Slaton

3. Ray Rice

4. DeSean Jackson

5. Jonathan Stewart

Rice has a chance to leapfrog Slaton. Stewart could move up. I predict that the NFL scouts will fall in love with his combine numbers.

I haven't done my homework on the QBs yet, but I actually think Ainge might be the best value.

I like Rice. He's going to be a player in the NFL. He doesn't have the flashy speed of Slaton and McFadden, but he's built like a tank and he runs like a professional. I think he has the potential to be a Frank Gore type at the next level. I looove the way he runs. If he had home run speed I'd take him over McFadden.
Does anybody know how tall Ray Rice is really?On the net it shows:Ray Rice: 5-9Steve Slaton: 5-10But I was watching College Football Live a couple weeks ago and they had a feature on Steve Slaton and Pat White where they went to a conference photo shoot or something and Ray Rice was there. Rice and Slaton were standing next to each other at one point and Rice literally looked like a midget next to Slaton....and I know Slaton isn't a giant by any means.Based on what I saw, and if Slaton is really 5-10, I'd venture to guess Rice is only about 5-7 which in my mind would hurt his chances of being a full time NFL RB as he's under 200lbs presently (in before the MJD references...MJD is almost 210lbs, much faster, shiftier and better receiving skills than Rice so there is a difference)

Does anybody know how tall Ray Rice is really?On the net it shows:Ray Rice: 5-9Steve Slaton: 5-10But I was watching College Football Live a couple weeks ago and they had a feature on Steve Slaton and Pat White where they went to a conference photo shoot or something and Ray Rice was there. Rice and Slaton were standing next to each other at one point and Rice literally looked like a midget next to Slaton....and I know Slaton isn't a giant by any means.Based on what I saw, and if Slaton is really 5-10, I'd venture to guess Rice is only about 5-7 which in my mind would hurt his chances of being a full time NFL RB as he's under 200lbs presently (in before the MJD references...MJD is almost 210lbs, much faster, shiftier and better receiving skills than Rice so there is a difference)
That's something to monitor. I didn't realize he was that short. It shouldn't be too much of a factor as long as he can get his weight in the 200-210 pounds range.

Does anybody know how tall Ray Rice is really?On the net it shows:

Ray Rice: 5-9

Steve Slaton: 5-10

But I was watching College Football Live a couple weeks ago and they had a feature on Steve Slaton and Pat White where they went to a conference photo shoot or something and Ray Rice was there. Rice and Slaton were standing next to each other at one point and Rice literally looked like a midget next to Slaton....and I know Slaton isn't a giant by any means.

Based on what I saw, and if Slaton is really 5-10, I'd venture to guess Rice is only about 5-7 which in my mind would hurt his chances of being a full time NFL RB as he's under 200lbs presently (in before the MJD references...MJD is almost 210lbs, much faster, shiftier and better receiving skills than Rice so there is a difference)
That's something to monitor. I didn't realize he was that short. It shouldn't be too much of a factor as long as he can get his weight in the 200-210 pounds range.
Found the clip on youtube...after rewatching it maybe it's not that big of a height difference and I was thrown off a bit by Slaton's 'fro but he is definitely shorter and would say it's more than 1 inch difference.1:54: Look at the different shoulder heights..would say about 2"

2:14: better shot. Rice to the left and Slaton to the right. Rice definitely looks tiny there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK327gaYDYY

But I was watching College Football Live a couple weeks ago and they had a feature on Steve Slaton and Pat White where they went to a conference photo shoot or something and Ray Rice was there. Rice and Slaton were standing next to each other at one point and Rice literally looked like a midget next to Slaton....and I know Slaton isn't a giant by any means.

Based on what I saw, and if Slaton is really 5-10, I'd venture to guess Rice is only about 5-7 which in my mind would hurt his chances of being a full time NFL RB as he's under 200lbs presently (in before the MJD references...MJD is almost 210lbs, much faster, shiftier and better receiving skills than Rice so there is a difference)
Found the clip on youtube...after rewatching it maybe it's not that big of a height difference and I was thrown off a bit by Slaton's 'fro but he is definitely shorter and would say it's more than 1 inch difference.1:54: Look at the different shoulder heights..would say about 2"

2:14: better shot. Rice to the left and Slaton to the right. Rice definitely looks tiny there.

Nice detective work offdee. You need a special sherlock holmes avatar.Both Slaton and Rice are iffy to me. Slaton is in a gimmick offense although he does look amazing in it. I don't think anyone really knows for sure how good he's gonna be without a lot of space, maybe great maybe not. Rice might be too small to carry the load at the NFL level.

Will be very interesting to watch these 2 this year and see their combine numbers.

1. RB Darren McFadden*

2. RB Steve Slaton*

3. RB Ray Rice*

4. RB Jonathan Stewart*

5. QB Brian Brohm

6. RB Jamaal Charles*

7. RB Felix Jones*

8. RB James Davis*

9. RB Mike Hart

10. QB Andre Woodson

11. WR Mario Manningham*

12. RB Allen Patrick

Tashard Choice (even though he is an #######) is going to have a heisman like season and looks to be very underrated on your lists. If GT can stay healthy on the OL, Bennet, Choice and the WRs will produce top 10 offense numbers. Id watch out for this CJ-less GT team.

Nice detective work offdee. You need a special sherlock holmes avatar.Both Slaton and Rice are iffy to me. Slaton is in a gimmick offense although he does look amazing in it. I don't think anyone really knows for sure how good he's gonna be without a lot of space, maybe great maybe not. Rice might be too small to carry the load at the NFL level.

Will be very interesting to watch these 2 this year and see their combine numbers.
As a Slaton lover, ive done a good bit of thinking where he would fit best. The obvious choice would be in a zone blocking, one cut running scheme. However, looking at some of the WCO's out there, while Steve doesnt have amazing LT2 hands, he does have very good receiving ability. I think his size and speed would work well in a Phi of Atl (under Mora) type of scheme. With SS's speed, you have to pay attention to him which should create lots of passing and play action offense.

There was a very great article in an Omaha paper about why Keller lost his job to Carpenter. It seems it had more to do with questions about his partying lifestyle than his talent... Apparently, there was a secretive meeting with young and older players shortly after the coach made his first decision. The meeting was very heated with some players in the Keller camp and others in the Carpenter camp. Ultimately, it looks like the vote went with the player that lead the quieter lifestyle...

Personally, I think the coach made a bad decision by either reversing his decision or by having the meeting after he announced his first decision...

And I think Keller's learned a lesson about that and sitting out last year was probably hard on him. I expect him to cut back on some of the partying this year and tear it up...

Omaha World-Herald

There was a very great article in an Omaha paper about why Keller lost his job to Carpenter. It seems it had more to do with questions about his partying lifestyle than his talent... Apparently, there was a secretive meeting with young and older players shortly after the coach made his first decision. The meeting was very heated with some players in the Keller camp and others in the Carpenter camp. Ultimately, it looks like the vote went with the player that lead the quieter lifestyle...

Personally, I think the coach made a bad decision by either reversing his decision or by having the meeting after he announced his first decision...

And I think Keller's learned a lesson about that and sitting out last year was probably hard on him. I expect him to cut back on some of the partying this year and tear it up...

Omaha World-Herald
The guy's an idiot. Ever seen him interviewed on the sideline? It's embarrassing. He's a good player, but not good enough to overcome his attitude and lack of intelligence. That's a killer at the QB position. I'm sure he'll have a good year and get drafted, but don't take the bait.

Users who are viewing this thread