What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2008 Rookie Draft Picks (1 Viewer)

FYI Im not convinced Slaton and/or Rice will come out after this season. McFadden is a lock (so said his mom), but I could def see SS and Rice stay. Plan accordingly trading of draft picks :thumbup:
Sup Jason, congrats on putting your team in a 6-way tie for the final 3 playoff spots, lol.Hope to smack you in the playoffs!

FYI Im not convinced Slaton and/or Rice will come out after this season. McFadden is a lock (so said his mom), but I could def see SS and Rice stay. Plan accordingly trading of draft picks :thumbup:
Sup Jason, congrats on putting your team in a 6-way tie for the final 3 playoff spots, lol.Hope to smack you in the playoffs!
Betta watch yo back G, you gonna get smoked

These aren't my personal rankings, but rather what I would expect a rookie draft to look like if it were held today:

1. RB Darren McFadden

2. RB Jonathan Stewart

3. RB Rashard Mendenhall

4. RB Steve Slaton

5. RB Felix Jones

6. WR Desean Jackson

7. QB Matt Ryan

8. RB Ray Rice

9. QB Brian Brohm

10. WR Early Doucet

11. WR Adarius Bowman

12. QB Andre Woodson

Bubble:

QB Erik Ainge

RB Mike Hart

RB Dantrell Savage

RB Jamaal Charles

RB Kevin Smith

WR Limas Sweed

WR Keenan Burton

WR Lavelle Hawkins

The bubble guys to watch are Savage and Charles. They could both move way up in rookie drafts if they have a good combine and get drafted into a good spot (think Tatum Bell, JJ Arrington, or Julius Jones). On the flipside, Felix Jones could slip if he doesn't have a good combine. He may not even enter the draft as is.

I'm just not buying Mike Hart as an NFL prospect at this point in time.

I see Ray Rice falling into the 2nd-3rd round range due to his lack of ideal size and speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
A half year between updates. :bs:
Feel free to update my list as well...Top 12 Overall (*=Juniors)

1. RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas*

2. RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon*

3. RB Felix Jones, Arkansas*

4. RB Steve Slaton, West Virginia*

5. RB James Davis, Clemson*

6. RB Ray Rice, Rutgers*

7. RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois*

8. QB Brian Brohm, Louisville

9. RB Mike Hart, Michigan

10. RB Jamaal Charles, Texas*

11. QB Matt Ryan, BC

12. WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State

Next: QB Andre Woodson, RBs Tashard Choice, Ryan Torain, Allen Patrick, Kevin Smith*, Marlon Lucky*, WRs DeSean Jackson*, Malcolm Kelly*, Earl Bennett*, Early Doucet, Limas Sweed, D.J. Hall, Mario Manningham, James Hardy*

The rest... (not including Juniors)

QBs

Eric Ainge, Tennessee

Colt Brennan, Hawaii

John David Booty, USC

Dennis Dixon, Oregon

Chad Henne, Michigan

Joe Flacco, Delaware State

Matt Flynn, LSU

Sam Keller, Nebraska

RBs

Dantrell Savage, Oklahoma State

Yvenson Bernard, Oregon State

Matt Forte, Tulane

Chris Johnson, East Carolina

Jacob Hester, LSU

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ole Miss

Justin Forsett, Cal

Rafael Little, Kentucky

Albert Young, Iowa

WRs

Harry Douglas IV, Louisville

Keenan Burton, Kentucky

Dorien Bryant, Purdue

Donnie Avery, Houston

Lavelle Hawkins, Cal

Marcus Monk, Arkansas

Andre Caldwell, Florida

Eddie Royal, Virginia Tech

Derek Kinder, Pittsburgh

Sammie Stroughter, Oregon State

De'Cody Fagg, FSU

Todd Blythe, Iowa State

William Franklin, Missouri

Maurice Purify, Nebraska

Lance Leggett, Miami (FL)

Darius Reynaud, WVU

Bump for the Saturday action.
Thanks for the updates. Not that the anticipation of these RBs need any more stoking, but I counted 15 starting or by committee RBs that will be 29 or older at the start of next season. Not all of those jobs will be open of course, but a chunk of them will. It sure looks like talent and opportunity are on a collision course.

Thanks for the updates. Not that the anticipation of these RBs need any more stoking, but I counted 15 starting or by committee RBs that will be 29 or older at the start of next season. Not all of those jobs will be open of course, but a chunk of them will. It sure looks like talent and opportunity are on a collision course.
Excellent point. Taking a look team-by-team:Teams that will almost certainly look toward the draft or Michael Turner:

Cleveland: Can't say they made a mistake passing on Peterson as they badly needed Joe Thomas. But trading away their '08 1st Round pick for Brady Quinn looks foolish now. With Lewis an aging UFA, they have undoubtedly the biggest hole at RB... Turner anyone?

Houston: I'd say it's more likely Green is going to retire than retain a starting job for '08. Kubiak may not want to burn a high draft pick on a RB, but they need serious help from somewhere. They could look toward free agency and the draft to find talent.

Tennessee: White will be back, but Chris Brown has expressed interest in leaving before and he is a UFA and will probably take the first long-term offer he gets, which could be elsewhere. Chris Henry is already in hot-water with a failed drug test, so I could see them making a run at a Julius Jones-type.

Oakland: LaMont Jordan's chronic back pain might prevent him from again being an NFL starter. Fargas is a FA and there have already been rumblings of Dominic Rhodes being outright cut. I like Michael Bush, but I don't think Oakland would pass on Darren McFadden if they had the chance to draft him.

Green Bay: Arguably, the least talented backfield. Morency is a FA. Wynn, Jackson, and Grant will all return if I had to guess. Weather all of them make it through training camp is another question. They may target a vet like Fargas, Jamal Lewis, or Fred Taylor.

Tampa Bay: Cadillac Williams' career might be in jeopardy. Earnest Graham has been okay, but they'll look to the draft for sure.

Seattle: In desperate need of some youth at the position.

Teams that may look for depth in the draft or a lesser FA Vet:

Jacksonville: MJD should become a 20-carry 'back, but Del Rio will need someone to share the load. Taylor has gone longer than most thought he could without hitting the wall hard, but he is a UFA which will force the Jags to at least look toward the draft for some depth. Toefield is also a FA along with FB Wimbush, which leaves only Greg Jones who has been injury-prone.

Indianapolis: I'm not the biggest fan of Addai, but clearly he is the back of the future. Keith sure hasn't looked up the backup job, so I could see the Colts testing the FA waters.

Detroit: If I had to guess, Jones will enter the season as starter, but they won't bring back Tatum Bell or T.J. Duckett. Calhoun may emerge as the backup, but they'll need help as Jones' durability is a concern.

Baltimore: With McGahee (some durability issues) entrenched as the starter, they'll be looking for depth if anything. Musa Smith is a FA and would be a big loss.

Denver: Seems there's someone new every year. Henry could be suspended for a significant portion of '08. Selvin Young mgiht prove he can carry 20+ times per game, but rumors will be flying (on this board as always) as to who will start in '08 at "Denver RB".

Kansas City: Johnson should fully recover and will certainly carry the load in '08 in my opinion. But Holmes is one hit away from a second retirement. We'll find out later this year if KC has plans to bring back Kolby Smith as a primary backup, but I think that's a stretch.

San Deigo: With Turner almost certainly gone, Sproles may step up to become the primary backup. But they'll clearly be looking for a power-back to complement LT.

Pittsburgh: Parker has proven doubters wrong as he looks to be a guy who can carry the ball anywhere and 20+ times per game. Davenport is a nice backup, but Kevan Barlow appears to be done. Doesn't look like Gary Russell will pay off as a 2007 late-round gamble, so I would guess they'll try again in the '08 draft.

Dallas: I've heard that Barber may be a RFA, but cannot confirm that. Julius Jones will almost undoubtedly be gone as he's a RFA, as is Tyson Thompson. Would Jerry Jones push for McFadden if they had a shot? (They have Cleveland's pick)

New York Giants: Every RB they have has serious questions (durability, talent, experience).

Carolina: Could use a power-back to complement Foster and/or Williams.

Arizona: J.J. Arrington is not the answer.

Teams that appear set at RB for the most part:

New England, Buffalo, Miami, New York Jets, Cincinnati, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta, Minnesota, San Francisco, Saint Louis

Great post aposulli...really solid run down of every team's RB situation.

As a Jets homer I just want to point at that they may actually draft a running back in this draft. Although they just gave Jones a good amount of money, he's going to be 30 next season, and I don't know that they consider Leon Washington as anything more than a change of pace/3rd down back. With what seems to be real good depth at RB in this draft, I could see them spending a middle round pick on a running back. I've seen some other Jets fans calling for McFadden, but I personally feel the Jets have much bigger holes to fill with a likely top 5 pick than a running back.

Great post aposulli...really solid run down of every team's RB situation. As a Jets homer I just want to point at that they may actually draft a running back in this draft. Although they just gave Jones a good amount of money, he's going to be 30 next season, and I don't know that they consider Leon Washington as anything more than a change of pace/3rd down back. With what seems to be real good depth at RB in this draft, I could see them spending a middle round pick on a running back. I've seen some other Jets fans calling for McFadden, but I personally feel the Jets have much bigger holes to fill with a likely top 5 pick than a running back.
It all depends on the value at the time of the Jets' pick according to Mangini & Co's board.If McFadden is available with the Jet's first pick, I would argue that they should take him. Obviously they could use Campbell or Long at DE, and Dorsey will be a Pro-Bowler, but McFadden is going to have a Peterson-like impact as a Rookie IMO. Atlanta could hear the same thing if McFadden is there when they pick.

Excellent point. Taking a look team-by-team:Teams that will almost certainly look toward the draft or Michael Turner:

Cleveland: Can't say they made a mistake passing on Peterson as they badly needed Joe Thomas. But trading away their '08 1st Round pick for Brady Quinn looks foolish now. With Lewis an aging UFA, they have undoubtedly the biggest hole at RB... Turner anyone?

Houston: I'd say it's more likely Green is going to retire than retain a starting job for '08. Kubiak may not want to burn a high draft pick on a RB, but they need serious help from somewhere. They could look toward free agency and the draft to find talent.

Tennessee: White will be back, but Chris Brown has expressed interest in leaving before and he is a UFA and will probably take the first long-term offer he gets, which could be elsewhere. Chris Henry is already in hot-water with a failed drug test, so I could see them making a run at a Julius Jones-type.

Oakland: LaMont Jordan's chronic back pain might prevent him from again being an NFL starter. Fargas is a FA and there have already been rumblings of Dominic Rhodes being outright cut. I like Michael Bush, but I don't think Oakland would pass on Darren McFadden if they had the chance to draft him.

Green Bay: Arguably, the least talented backfield. Morency is a FA. Wynn, Jackson, and Grant will all return if I had to guess. Weather all of them make it through training camp is another question. They may target a vet like Fargas, Jamal Lewis, or Fred Taylor.

Tampa Bay: Cadillac Williams' career might be in jeopardy. Earnest Graham has been okay, but they'll look to the draft for sure.

Seattle: In desperate need of some youth at the position.

Teams that may look for depth in the draft or a lesser FA Vet:

Jacksonville: MJD should become a 20-carry 'back, but Del Rio will need someone to share the load. Taylor has gone longer than most thought he could without hitting the wall hard, but he is a UFA which will force the Jags to at least look toward the draft for some depth. Toefield is also a FA along with FB Wimbush, which leaves only Greg Jones who has been injury-prone.

Indianapolis: I'm not the biggest fan of Addai, but clearly he is the back of the future. Keith sure hasn't looked up the backup job, so I could see the Colts testing the FA waters.

Detroit: If I had to guess, Jones will enter the season as starter, but they won't bring back Tatum Bell or T.J. Duckett. Calhoun may emerge as the backup, but they'll need help as Jones' durability is a concern.

Baltimore: With McGahee (some durability issues) entrenched as the starter, they'll be looking for depth if anything. Musa Smith is a FA and would be a big loss.

Denver: Seems there's someone new every year. Henry could be suspended for a significant portion of '08. Selvin Young mgiht prove he can carry 20+ times per game, but rumors will be flying (on this board as always) as to who will start in '08 at "Denver RB".

Kansas City: Johnson should fully recover and will certainly carry the load in '08 in my opinion. But Holmes is one hit away from a second retirement. We'll find out later this year if KC has plans to bring back Kolby Smith as a primary backup, but I think that's a stretch.

San Deigo: With Turner almost certainly gone, Sproles may step up to become the primary backup. But they'll clearly be looking for a power-back to complement LT.

Pittsburgh: Parker has proven doubters wrong as he looks to be a guy who can carry the ball anywhere and 20+ times per game. Davenport is a nice backup, but Kevan Barlow appears to be done. Doesn't look like Gary Russell will pay off as a 2007 late-round gamble, so I would guess they'll try again in the '08 draft.

Dallas: I've heard that Barber may be a RFA, but cannot confirm that. Julius Jones will almost undoubtedly be gone as he's a RFA, as is Tyson Thompson. Would Jerry Jones push for McFadden if they had a shot? (They have Cleveland's pick)

New York Giants: Every RB they have has serious questions (durability, talent, experience).

Carolina: Could use a power-back to complement Foster and/or Williams.

Arizona: J.J. Arrington is not the answer.

Teams that appear set at RB for the most part:

New England, Buffalo, Miami, New York Jets, Cincinnati, Washington, Philadelphia, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta, Minnesota, San Francisco, Saint Louis
Some notes:Tennessee: Agreed - this could be where Julius ends up next year.

Green Bay: I don't see them going after a retread like Fargas or Lewis. Unless Ryan Grant continues having games like he had last week, I see them going after Turner or Julius or drafting a RB.

Jacksonville: Fred Taylor signed an extension in the off-season, so unless he retires or breaks down, I don't see the Jags taking a RB. RB is way down on the list of needs on offense.

Indy: I don't think they will take a RB unless it's late or incredible value. Keith has looked decent in his time, meaning that he is either a solid backup or literally anyone can be successful in that offense.

Dallas: Barber is a RFA, Jones is a UFA. Jones is gone, IMO, and they extend Barber and draft someone to take over Jones' role. I don't see Thompson being much of a factor whether he stays with the Cowboys or goes somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in GB, TEN, CLE, or HOU. It would be funny if NYJ signed him and paired him up with his brother.

Jets: I think they take a RB in the mid-rounds if not sooner.

Cincy: I think Rudi has hit the wall, and I don't think Watson is an NFL starter. A lot will depend on how Irons heals from his injury as to how Cincy looks at RB in the draft.

Chicago: Benson blows.

Atlanta: Dunn is getting old, and Norwood hasn't proven to be reliable yet.

Great listings in the previous posts. Remember though, more than any other position, there is always at least one 1st or 2nd round pick where the team does not "need" the RB or at least the need is not immediate.

Great listings in the previous posts. Remember though, more than any other position, there is always at least one 1st or 2nd round pick where the team does not "need" the RB or at least the need is not immediate.
True. Which is why I listed the majority of teams in the league as teams who could be looking to draft someone.

Some notes:

Green Bay: I don't see them going after a retread like Fargas or Lewis. Unless Ryan Grant continues having games like he had last week, I see them going after Turner or Julius or drafting a RB.

They did draft Brandon Jackson in the 2nd Round last year, so I'm not sure they'd go big in the draft or FA (Turner)

Jacksonville: Fred Taylor signed an extension in the off-season, so unless he retires or breaks down, I don't see the Jags taking a RB.

You don't think there's a good chance of one of the two?

Dallas: Barber is a RFA, Jones is a UFA. Jones is gone, IMO, and they extend Barber and draft someone to take over Jones' role. I don't see Thompson being much of a factor whether he stays with the Cowboys or goes somewhere else. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones in GB, TEN, CLE, or HOU. It would be funny if NYJ signed him and paired him up with his brother.

Thanks for confirming Barber's status. He will receive the Turner tender if I had to guess. Maybe someone will bite?

Cincy: I think Rudi has hit the wall, and I don't think Watson is an NFL starter. A lot will depend on how Irons heals from his injury as to how Cincy looks at RB in the draft.

Rudi has definitly already slowed, but they do have Watson, Irons as well as Perry. Yeah, i guess I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft Jonathan Stewart in the 1st Round to pair with Irons.

Chicago: Benson blows.

They still are semi-committed to him, and at least had some hope that Garrett Wolfe could be something. Adrian Peterson is the best 'back on the team in my opinion and I hope they give him a shot.

Atlanta: Dunn is getting old, and Norwood hasn't proven to be reliable yet.

Norwood is young, and just as good (and more ready) than any 'back they could draft this year unless they take one with their 1st Round pick IMO

I have been seeing alot of mock drafts lately that have four, sometimes five WR's going in the first 30-40 picks of the NFL draft. I thought the WR's from this years class were below average, whats with the sudden surge of WR's?

Also, what would the first 12-18 picks look like right now in an IDP rookie draft? How far off is this?

1.Mcfadden(is he that far ahead of Stewart at this point?)

2.Stewart(obviously the number two right now, right?)

3.FJones(assuming he comes out, what are the chances he stays in school?)

4.Mendenhall(I dont see him included in any mocks, did he say he was going to stay in school?)

5.Slaton(stock has been dropping, but what is he worth in GB or Sea.?)

6.Rice(Does he go in the first round of the NFL draft?)

7.DJackson(Is he clearly the best WR in this class?)

8.MRyan(Which QB ranks highest?)

9.Woodson

10.Brohm

11.MKelly

12.EDoucet

13.JHardy

14.LSweed

15.Bowman

16.Manningham

17.Hart

18.Who is the best TE,LB?

I have been seeing alot of mock drafts lately that have four, sometimes five WR's going in the first 30-40 picks of the NFL draft. I thought the WR's from this years class were below average, whats with the sudden surge of WR's? Also, what would the first 12-18 picks look like right now in an IDP rookie draft? How far off is this?1.Mcfadden(is he that far ahead of Stewart at this point?)2.Stewart(obviously the number two right now, right?)3.FJones(assuming he comes out, what are the chances he stays in school?)4.Mendenhall(I dont see him included in any mocks, did he say he was going to stay in school?)5.Slaton(stock has been dropping, but what is he worth in GB or Sea.?)6.Rice(Does he go in the first round of the NFL draft?)7.DJackson(Is he clearly the best WR in this class?)8.MRyan(Which QB ranks highest?)9.Woodson10.Brohm11.MKelly12.EDoucet13.JHardy14.LSweed15.Bowman16.Manningham17.Hart18.Who is the best TE,LB?
I haven't heard any indication that Mendenhall has made a decision as of yet. If he stays, the fighting illini will return a solid core and could contend (gasp) for a Big Ten title. If I had to guess, if he gets a 1st Round grade, he would leave early.Fred Davis from USC may be the 1st TE taken.Davis' teamates could also fight for the top LB spot. Rivers, Cushing and Maualuga (love this guy) could all be 1st Rounders, though the latter two are Juniors. The fantasy favorite might be Dan Connor who has broken everyone's (including Poz's) tackling records at Linebacker U. THE OSU's Laurinaitis is another to watch if he leaves early as he might be in A.J. Hawk's class.I think the WR class is underrated. Alot of these guys have great strength and size, but the question will be how fast they time in the pre-draft workouts. Seems alot of stock goes into the 40 time, though a better indicator of an athlete's speed in terms of his acceleration might be the 20 yard split time. I'd be curious about those numbers from Sweed and Kelly in particular.

I have been seeing alot of mock drafts lately that have four, sometimes five WR's going in the first 30-40 picks of the NFL draft. I thought the WR's from this years class were below average, whats with the sudden surge of WR's?

Also, what would the first 12-18 picks look like right now in an IDP rookie draft? How far off is this?

1.Mcfadden(is he that far ahead of Stewart at this point?)

2.Stewart(obviously the number two right now, right?)

3.FJones(assuming he comes out, what are the chances he stays in school?)

4.Mendenhall(I dont see him included in any mocks, did he say he was going to stay in school?)

5.Slaton(stock has been dropping, but what is he worth in GB or Sea.?)

6.Rice(Does he go in the first round of the NFL draft?)

7.DJackson(Is he clearly the best WR in this class?)

8.MRyan(Which QB ranks highest?)

9.Woodson

10.Brohm

11.MKelly

12.EDoucet

13.JHardy

14.LSweed

15.Bowman

16.Manningham

17.Hart

18.Who is the best TE,LB?
Ryan and Brohm are pretty safe picks IMO. Both should be 1st Rounders. I'm weary of Woodson becoming the next David Carr (holding the ball too long, poor pocket awareness, etc.)Slaton would probably be MOST fortunate to land in GB or SEA. No way of telling this early, but he should be a 1st Rounder or early 2nd IMO. Ditto Ray Rice, 'cept he may be more like a 2nd/3rd IF he comes out. If Jones come out, I think he could easily be drafted before either of these guys, dropping them down a notch.

D.Jackson will be the first WR taken in the draft I would assume, but he's not my favorite. Jackson won't ever be that guy who makes the tough catches in traffic. He's really going to need to work on his strength conditioning to be considered a fantasy WR1 in my mind.

Chris Steuber of scout.com:

RB, Jonathan Stewart (Jr.)Draft Projection: 1st Round

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 230

Stewart is a physical, but shifty runner who has great vision and speed. He runs with tremendous balance and usually eludes the initial defender. He's a patient runner who finds a hole, flashes his quickness, and attacks the opposition with an explosive style of running. He has excellent hands and is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is a dynamic return man on special teams as well. Stewart is a junior and it's still uncertain if he'll enter the draft. He's receiving a lot of attention, and he may be a player that will benefit by entering the draft early rather than returning to school for his senior season. If Stewart decides to forego his final season at Oregon, he's a lock to be a first-round pick next April.
Stewart is all but a mortal lock to be the RB2 in this draft.

I see Mendenhall, Slaton, and Jones competing for the RB3 spot. I favor Mendenhall because I think he'll probably have the best combine numbers of that group. Slaton's stock is probably falling right now. He hasn't looked special lately.

I like Ray Rice, but I expect him to slip a little bit in the draft due to size/speed concerns.

Do you guys think there is a good chance that Charles, F.Jones and Medenhall could all stay in school for another year? If they do, do they project as probable 1st rounders in '09 along with Wells and Spiller?

Do you guys think there is a good chance that Charles, F.Jones and Medenhall could all stay in school for another year? If they do, do they project as probable 1st rounders in '09 along with Wells and Spiller?
If Jones stays another year he will be a stud and be a definite lock for an early 1st round draft pick (barring injury).

I would bet that Charles is closer to staying school than the other two. Texas players don't come out early in droves and he has questions about his ability to run between the tackles enough in the pros.

Chris Steuber of scout.com:

RB, Jonathan Stewart (Jr.)

Draft Projection: 1st Round

Height: 5-11 | Weight: 230

Stewart is a physical, but shifty runner who has great vision and speed. He runs with tremendous balance and usually eludes the initial defender. He's a patient runner who finds a hole, flashes his quickness, and attacks the opposition with an explosive style of running. He has excellent hands and is a good receiver out of the backfield, and is a dynamic return man on special teams as well. Stewart is a junior and it's still uncertain if he'll enter the draft. He's receiving a lot of attention, and he may be a player that will benefit by entering the draft early rather than returning to school for his senior season. If Stewart decides to forego his final season at Oregon, he's a lock to be a first-round pick next April.
Stewart is all but a mortal lock to be the RB2 in this draft.I see Mendenhall, Slaton, and Jones competing for the RB3 spot. I favor Mendenhall because I think he'll probably have the best combine numbers of that group. Slaton's stock is probably falling right now. He hasn't looked special lately.

I like Ray Rice, but I expect him to slip a little bit in the draft due to size/speed concerns.
My top candidate to come from "nowhere" to 1st round fantasy is Central Florida's Kevin Smith, who is a JR. eligible. 6'1 215ish guessing around 4.5. Matt Forte -Tulane has had the Sr. season, but may not have the pure measurables to be drafted higher than the late 3rd/4th.

If Charles comes out, he's RB2.
Doubt it. He's having a good season and will likely do well in workouts. He'll probably make a late move up boards, but it won't be enough to push him past some of the guys who are ahead of him. The top 4 RBs are McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Mendenhall. After that you've got guys like Rice, Slaton, Smith, Davis, and Charles jockeying for draft slots in rounds 2-4.

I'm moving Matt Ryan up in my rankings. It sounds like he has the QB1 spot pretty much locked up. Woodson and Brohm will be in the running for QB2 with Ainge, Brennan, and Henne also competing for first day draft spots.

I'm starting to research these WRs a bit and I'm not finding much to get excited about. Early Doucet shows flashes of greatness, but he doesn't dominate games like an elite WR should. Limas Sweed and Adarius Bowman are tall and rangy, but that seems to be just about all that they have going for them. Neither has shown me a lot of explosiveness. I'm also cooling off on DeSean Jackson a little bit. His teammate Lavelle Hawkins might actually be a better WR prospect, but even he doesn't look like a lock for success. This seems to be a very spotty group if you're looking for a franchise WR for your FF team. Try to put together a deal for Calvin, Bowe, or Holmes because you probably aren't going to pluck an instant star out of this crop.

This is the year of the QB and RB. My final top 10 might not include a single WR. We'll see.

I'm moving Matt Ryan up in my rankings. It sounds like he has the QB1 spot pretty much locked up. Woodson and Brohm will be in the running for QB2 with Ainge, Brennan, and Henne also competing for first day draft spots. I'm starting to research these WRs a bit and I'm not finding much to get excited about. Early Doucet shows flashes of greatness, but he doesn't dominate games like an elite WR should. Limas Sweed and Adarius Bowman are tall and rangy, but that seems to be just about all that they have going for them. Neither has shown me a lot of explosiveness. I'm also cooling off on DeSean Jackson a little bit. His teammate Lavelle Hawkins might actually be a better WR prospect, but even he doesn't look like a lock for success. This seems to be a very spotty group if you're looking for a franchise WR for your FF team. Try to put together a deal for Calvin, Bowe, or Holmes because you probably aren't going to pluck an instant star out of this crop. This is the year of the QB and RB. My final top 10 might not include a single WR. We'll see.
Malcom Kelly WR Oklahoma - rumored to run a sub 4.4 40 time. 6-4 220.

I'm moving Matt Ryan up in my rankings. It sounds like he has the QB1 spot pretty much locked up. Woodson and Brohm will be in the running for QB2 with Ainge, Brennan, and Henne also competing for first day draft spots. I'm starting to research these WRs a bit and I'm not finding much to get excited about. Early Doucet shows flashes of greatness, but he doesn't dominate games like an elite WR should. Limas Sweed and Adarius Bowman are tall and rangy, but that seems to be just about all that they have going for them. Neither has shown me a lot of explosiveness. I'm also cooling off on DeSean Jackson a little bit. His teammate Lavelle Hawkins might actually be a better WR prospect, but even he doesn't look like a lock for success. This seems to be a very spotty group if you're looking for a franchise WR for your FF team. Try to put together a deal for Calvin, Bowe, or Holmes because you probably aren't going to pluck an instant star out of this crop. This is the year of the QB and RB. My final top 10 might not include a single WR. We'll see.
Malcom Kelly WR Oklahoma - rumored to run a sub 4.4 40 time. 6-4 220.
Yea, I forgot about him. He's an interesting player. Not on the level of Calvin or Fitzgerald or even Braylon, but he looks like a first round pick. I also think Manningham has decent pro potential. Keenan Burton looks like a decent WR, but probably not an elite pro. Maybe a Greg Jennings type if he's lucky. This crop will almost inevitably produce some quality receivers, but there's no one out there who really looks like a can't miss prospect.

Doubt it. He's having a good season and will likely do well in workouts. He'll probably make a late move up boards, but it won't be enough to push him past some of the guys who are ahead of him. The top 4 RBs are McFadden, Stewart, Jones, and Mendenhall. After that you've got guys like Rice, Slaton, Smith, Davis, and Charles jockeying for draft slots in rounds 2-4.
Wanna bet?

I'm moving Matt Ryan up in my rankings. It sounds like he has the QB1 spot pretty much locked up. Woodson and Brohm will be in the running for QB2 with Ainge, Brennan, and Henne also competing for first day draft spots.

I'm starting to research these WRs a bit and I'm not finding much to get excited about. Early Doucet shows flashes of greatness, but he doesn't dominate games like an elite WR should. Limas Sweed and Adarius Bowman are tall and rangy, but that seems to be just about all that they have going for them. Neither has shown me a lot of explosiveness. I'm also cooling off on DeSean Jackson a little bit. His teammate Lavelle Hawkins might actually be a better WR prospect, but even he doesn't look like a lock for success. This seems to be a very spotty group if you're looking for a franchise WR for your FF team. Try to put together a deal for Calvin, Bowe, or Holmes because you probably aren't going to pluck an instant star out of this crop.

This is the year of the QB and RB. My final top 10 might not include a single WR. We'll see.
1st bold - BRennan's arm isn't strong enough to warrant top-40 consideration. 3rd round seems right.2nd - I don't see any WRs in the top 15. sIMPLy too much DE and OT talent available.

Wanna bet?
Sure. I think the odds of Jamaal Charles being the second RB taken in the draft are near zero. I don't think he's even a lock for the first round at this point. I see him as clearly behind McFadden and Stewart and probably behind Mendenhall, Jones, and Slaton. IMO Stewart has the RB2 slot sewn up. Charles has great speed and quickness, but I see his draft status as comparable to that of guys like Ryan Moats, Maurice Drew, Tatum Bell, Brian Calhoun, and Julius Jones. If I had to guess today I'd say he'll probably go somewhere in the late 2nd-3rd round if he enters the draft.

Wanna bet?
Sure. I think the odds of Jamaal Charles being the second RB taken in the draft are near zero. I don't think he's even a lock for the first round at this point. I see him as clearly behind McFadden and Stewart and probably behind Mendenhall, Jones, and Slaton. IMO Stewart has the RB2 slot sewn up. Charles has great speed and quickness, but I see his draft status as comparable to that of guys like Ryan Moats, Maurice Drew, Tatum Bell, Brian Calhoun, and Julius Jones. If I had to guess today I'd say he'll probably go somewhere in the late 2nd-3rd round if he enters the draft.
Can I get in on this bet? No way Charles is RB2 in the 2008 NFL Draft.

He would have to come out, obviously, but I think Charles has an excellent chance to be the 2nd RB taken. He has good production in school, runs off tackle better then people give him credit, and will no doubt be the fastest non-DB in the draft. Those thinks are every bit as compelling, depending on what team is on the clock, as anything anyone else outside of McFadden has to offer.

Also, once again the rhetoric of "Stewart has RB2 locked up!" is raising it's head. Can someone please post a link to a draf/scouting service other then the Shark Pool where Stewart is RB2? In another thread, someone was able to find one that (IIRC) had Stewart as RB2 but was only 47th overall (or something like that). Where is all of this "Stewart is RB2!" talk coming from? With a non-100% Dixon taking snaps, Stewart has been positively pedestrian.

He would have to come out, obviously, but I think Charles has an excellent chance to be the 2nd RB taken. He has good production in school, runs off tackle better then people give him credit, and will no doubt be the fastest non-DB in the draft. Those thinks are every bit as compelling, depending on what team is on the clock, as anything anyone else outside of McFadden has to offer.Also, once again the rhetoric of "Stewart has RB2 locked up!" is raising it's head. Can someone please post a link to a draf/scouting service other then the Shark Pool where Stewart is RB2? In another thread, someone was able to find one that (IIRC) had Stewart as RB2 but was only 47th overall (or something like that). Where is all of this "Stewart is RB2!" talk coming from? With a non-100% Dixon taking snaps, Stewart has been positively pedestrian.
I have been following Charles for a bit and have posted about him in this thread.To take him against an unknown field of running backs as the second RB selected is silly. He simply is not that far ahead of the field to make that wager.

He would have to come out, obviously, but I think Charles has an excellent chance to be the 2nd RB taken. He has good production in school, runs off tackle better then people give him credit, and will no doubt be the fastest non-DB in the draft. Those thinks are every bit as compelling, depending on what team is on the clock, as anything anyone else outside of McFadden has to offer.Also, once again the rhetoric of "Stewart has RB2 locked up!" is raising it's head. Can someone please post a link to a draf/scouting service other then the Shark Pool where Stewart is RB2? In another thread, someone was able to find one that (IIRC) had Stewart as RB2 but was only 47th overall (or something like that). Where is all of this "Stewart is RB2!" talk coming from? With a non-100% Dixon taking snaps, Stewart has been positively pedestrian.
I have been following Charles for a bit and have posted about him in this thread.To take him against an unknown field of running backs as the second RB selected is silly. He simply is not that far ahead of the field to make that wager.
You are correct. I'm betting that there is a pool of very similar guys and when Charles runs the forty a tenth faster then all of them, he'll surge ahead.

He would have to come out, obviously, but I think Charles has an excellent chance to be the 2nd RB taken. He has good production in school, runs off tackle better then people give him credit, and will no doubt be the fastest non-DB in the draft. Those thinks are every bit as compelling, depending on what team is on the clock, as anything anyone else outside of McFadden has to offer.

Also, once again the rhetoric of "Stewart has RB2 locked up!" is raising it's head. Can someone please post a link to a draf/scouting service other then the Shark Pool where Stewart is RB2? In another thread, someone was able to find one that (IIRC) had Stewart as RB2 but was only 47th overall (or something like that). Where is all of this "Stewart is RB2!" talk coming from? With a non-100% Dixon taking snaps, Stewart has been positively pedestrian.
Scott Wright has Stewart as the RB2 and Chris Steuber of scout.com says he's a lock for the first round if he declares. He has rushed for over 1,300 yards at 6.0 YPC. If you think Dixon made Stewart then you need only look at last year, when Stewart averaged 5.4 YPC with a very mediocre Dixon/Leaf combo under center. Stewart is 5'11" 230 with 4.4-4.5 speed. He's basically Rudi Johnson with more straight line speed. What really separates him from the other RBs in the crop is his ideal size and strength. This is a guy who looks like he could handle 300+ carries in the NFL without breaking a sweat. He has the second best power clean in Oregon history (behind Ravens DT Haloti Ngata by 5 pounds). He bench presses 410 pounds. He was a five star recruit out of high school (so was Mendenhall).

Is there any way to prove that he's the RB2 right now? Well not really. Most of the draft sites on the web are just playing catch-up. They have guys like Rice and Slaton high because those guys were good last year. But things change. I tend to know a first round RB when I've seen one. Stewart is a first round RB. I feel pretty confident that he'll declare and that he'll be the 2nd back off the board.

As for Charles, I think you're suffering from a case of homer goggles. He's definitely a promising player, but you can say the same thing about Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Steve Slaton, and Ray Rice. Will Charles run a faster 40 than those guys? Maybe. But if 40 time was everything then Tatum Bell would've been drafted ahead of Chris Perry and Kevin Jones. NFL teams look at the big picture. I think guys like Mendenhall and Jones are going to be more appealing than Charles when it comes down to it. I don't think he has any chance of being drafted before Stewart. If I had to guess, I'd say he'll get his grade from the advisory committee and probably return to Texas to try to improve his stock.

ETA: A little place called ESPN also has Stewart as its RB2. He's listed 21st overall and is the only RB besides McFadden in the top 32 of their list.

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/index

"Homer goggles" = :goodposting: I've seen him play a lot, but I'm not inclined to just give him the benefit of the doubt for that reason alone. Bell ran a 4.42 in the 40. Charles will be sub 4.4, which gets attention.I don't doubt Stewart's ability and think he'll make a fine addition to whatever team selects him. But with the offenses in place, I still hold that Charles makes a LOT more sense to Houston in mid-round 1 then Stewart does to them or anyone else. Contrary to fantasy football thinking, teams take the guy that will work best with the other 10 guys in their offense. That's how Michael Turner slips to Round 4 and William Green goes in round 1.

I tend to know a first round RB when I've seen one.
You and I have gone rounds on drafts, so I'm game for a good discussion, but the above comment is silly. Should I post your Reggie Williams and Rashaun Woods love from back in the day? :rolleyes: Failing that, I'll say this: Stewart may look likea 1st round pick, but that isn't saying much. Roughly 2/3 of the league's top rusher's weren't taken in round 1. Charles compares favorably to a rich mans Tatum Bell or an average-man's Reggie BUsh. I'll take that (and I'd be willing to bet GM's will take that) all day over Rudy Johnson - a 4th rounder -with straight speed.

"Homer goggles" = :blackdot: I've seen him play a lot, but I'm not inclined to just give him the benefit of the doubt for that reason alone. Bell ran a 4.42 in the 40. Charles will be sub 4.4, which gets attention.I don't doubt Stewart's ability and think he'll make a fine addition to whatever team selects him. But with the offenses in place, I still hold that Charles makes a LOT more sense to Houston in mid-round 1 then Stewart does to them or anyone else. Contrary to fantasy football thinking, teams take the guy that will work best with the other 10 guys in their offense. That's how Michael Turner slips to Round 4 and William Green goes in round 1.

I tend to know a first round RB when I've seen one.
You and I have gone rounds on drafts, so I'm game for a good discussion, but the above comment is silly. Should I post your Reggie Williams and Rashaun Woods love from back in the day? :cry: Failing that, I'll say this: Stewart may look likea 1st round pick, but that isn't saying much. Roughly 2/3 of the league's top rusher's weren't taken in round 1. Charles compares favorably to a rich mans Tatum Bell or an average-man's Reggie BUsh. I'll take that (and I'd be willing to bet GM's will take that) all day over Rudy Johnson - a 4th rounder -with straight speed.
We're not debating who will become the better player. We're debating who will go higher in the draft. I've seen nothing to suggest that Charles is considered a first round pick. And while I don't doubt that he'll have a good combine, I don't think it will provide the bump to his draft stock that you're envisioning. I still say 2nd-3rd round if he declares. Most of the sources I trust list Stewart as the 2nd best RB prospect available. I'll be quite surprised if he doesn't live up to that billing on draft day. IMO you're placing a lot of emphasis on Charles' combine numbers without recognizing that guys like Mendenhall, Stewart, and Jones are also quite likely to shine in their workouts.

Stewart injured himself the same game as Dixon...He's been battling turf toe, so that statement is a bit unfair.I am not saying he is, or isn't, the RB2 in the 2008 draft, but let's not blindly assume his performance has suffered because Dixon is out (It's because of an actual injury).

Users who are viewing this thread