What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Rookie LB's (1 Viewer)

Warpig

Footballguy
Is it just me, or is the majority of the highly regarded LB's this year slower than normal? 'Backers like McClain and Spikes had rather pedestrian 40's. Especially in Spikes's case where he was timed using a calendar.

Then you have the freak DE's that are 6'4" 280 lbs running 4.6's!

With that said, how do their 40 times affect your draft strategy? I'm assuming that McClain and Spikes will both be 2 down inside backers in a 3-4. Does their speed issues prevent them from playing in passing situations? Surely, they'll never be able to beat NFL RB's to the corner to stop those bigger gains. Hell, they'll be going against O linemen that are faster than them.

I'm hesitant to invest a decent (early - mid 2nd or 3rd round) pick in my rookie drafts in those guys...that's assuming they even fall that far.

I rarely pay attention to 40 times when scouting linebackers. Playing speed (which is much different than a raw 40 time) and football instincts are much more important for linebackers than straight line speed. A linebacker that moves quickly at the snap, takes no false steps on play action and counter plays and takes good angles to the ball is a "faster" player than the linebacker who doesn't, regardless of their straight line 40 time.

I think speed is more critical in coverage for corners who often have to turn and run in a straight line. For an inside linebacker, who'll generally be covering in tighter spaces, the ability to change direction fluidly and anticipate where the ball is going is more important than timed speeds.

I'm still working through my pre-draft scouting routine, but I don't think the 40 time for McClain is an issue at all. I've seen times for McClain between the mid 4.6s and mid 4.7s -- on par with guys like Curtis Lofton and Paul Posluszny who have proven themselves every down backers. Spikes' combine time was definitely disappointing, but its affect on his draft status may not translate to how effective he is on the field.

I'm looking for the following scouting notes on an ILB prospect to project him toward an every-down role:

***Above-average instincts (run-pass recognition, proper angles, explodes off the snap with few false steps)

***Able to change direction well, good hip turn, quick feet

***Sheds blockers consistently, strong hands, good leverage

***Explosive wrap tackler (rather than drag and drop)

I rarely pay attention to 40 times when scouting linebackers. Playing speed (which is much different than a raw 40 time) and football instincts are much more important for linebackers than straight line speed. A linebacker that moves quickly at the snap, takes no false steps on play action and counter plays and takes good angles to the ball is a "faster" player than the linebacker who doesn't, regardless of their straight line 40 time. I think speed is more critical in coverage for corners who often have to turn and run in a straight line. For an inside linebacker, who'll generally be covering in tighter spaces, the ability to change direction fluidly and anticipate where the ball is going is more important than timed speeds.I'm still working through my pre-draft scouting routine, but I don't think the 40 time for McClain is an issue at all. I've seen times for McClain between the mid 4.6s and mid 4.7s -- on par with guys like Curtis Lofton and Paul Posluszny who have proven themselves every down backers. Spikes' combine time was definitely disappointing, but its affect on his draft status may not translate to how effective he is on the field. I'm looking for the following scouting notes on an ILB prospect to project him toward an every-down role:***Above-average instincts (run-pass recognition, proper angles, explodes off the snap with few false steps)***Able to change direction well, good hip turn, quick feet***Sheds blockers consistently, strong hands, good leverage***Explosive wrap tackler (rather than drag and drop)
Thanks for the info. My main concern was Spikes because I've kinda been eyeballing him. Never got to see any of his games really. But his 40 times were very disappointing. I couldn't believe he was that slow. I'm just concerned that he will get that "2 down thumper" label and get yanked on passing downs. I just don't understand how a LB can run that slow. ;)

Jene Bramel said:
I'm still working through my pre-draft scouting routine, but I don't think the 40 time for McClain is an issue at all. I've seen times for McClain between the mid 4.6s and mid 4.7s -- on par with guys like Curtis Lofton and Paul Posluszny who have proven themselves every down backers.
those 2 can not be said in the same sentence

Jene Bramel said:
I rarely pay attention to 40 times when scouting linebackers. Playing speed (which is much different than a raw 40 time) and football instincts are much more important for linebackers than straight line speed. A linebacker that moves quickly at the snap, takes no false steps on play action and counter plays and takes good angles to the ball is a "faster" player than the linebacker who doesn't, regardless of their straight line 40 time. I think speed is more critical in coverage for corners who often have to turn and run in a straight line. For an inside linebacker, who'll generally be covering in tighter spaces, the ability to change direction fluidly and anticipate where the ball is going is more important than timed speeds.I'm still working through my pre-draft scouting routine, but I don't think the 40 time for McClain is an issue at all. I've seen times for McClain between the mid 4.6s and mid 4.7s -- on par with guys like Curtis Lofton and Paul Posluszny who have proven themselves every down backers. Spikes' combine time was definitely disappointing, but its affect on his draft status may not translate to how effective he is on the field. I'm looking for the following scouting notes on an ILB prospect to project him toward an every-down role:***Above-average instincts (run-pass recognition, proper angles, explodes off the snap with few false steps)***Able to change direction well, good hip turn, quick feet***Sheds blockers consistently, strong hands, good leverage***Explosive wrap tackler (rather than drag and drop)
:thumbdown: I think mcClain will be fine. However, I think this is one of those years where there might be a good handful of rookie LBers that all are very good. This may be a year where you can wait and still get a really good one and that is usually the case more often than not. Last year, I took Cushing and clay Matthews After the consensus top guys (Curry, Maualuga, Orakpo). Was targetting Laurinaitis but he went right before me. The year before that, J. Mayo went 3rd. Point being, you can usually get a top guy well into the 2nd round or later.

Warpig said:
Thanks for the info. My main concern was Spikes because I've kinda been eyeballing him. Never got to see any of his games really. But his 40 times were very disappointing. I couldn't believe he was that slow. I'm just concerned that he will get that "2 down thumper" label and get yanked on passing downs. I just don't understand how a LB can run that slow. :confused:
Does anyone else think this sounds like Trotter?

Warpig said:
Thanks for the info. My main concern was Spikes because I've kinda been eyeballing him. Never got to see any of his games really. But his 40 times were very disappointing. I couldn't believe he was that slow. I'm just concerned that he will get that "2 down thumper" label and get yanked on passing downs. I just don't understand how a LB can run that slow. :blackdot:
Does anyone else think this sounds like Trotter?
Like Jene I rarely pay attention to LB 40 times, Spikes has great instincts and a NFL pedigree (distant cousin of Takeo). He’s one of those guys you just have to watch the tape. His best fit may be inside in a 30 front. Think it is too early to label him as only a 2 down backer.

I'm still working through my pre-draft scouting routine, but I don't think the 40 time for McClain is an issue at all. I've seen times for McClain between the mid 4.6s and mid 4.7s -- on par with guys like Curtis Lofton and Paul Posluszny who have proven themselves every down backers.
:goodposting: Certainly they're different NFL players with different sets of skills, instincts and playing speeds. My point was that combine speeds -- of which Lofton (4.79) and Posluszny (4.78) ran almost identical times and slower than the time that McClain ran on his Pro Day -- of the three players say very little about their ability to produce on the field.

Jene Bramel said:
:fishing: Certainly they're different NFL players with different sets of skills, instincts and playing speeds. My point was that combine speeds -- of which Lofton (4.79) and Posluszny (4.78) ran almost identical times and slower than the time that McClain ran on his Pro Day -- of the three players say very little about their ability to produce on the field.
Thats right... I think Tatupu ran a 4.8 something

Users who are viewing this thread