What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Anarchy League 2 (1 Viewer)

I was wondering who was going to break the kicker freeze-out. It seemed like it was late, but I went back and looked at 2010 and the first kicker was taken at 12.03 (vs. 12.04 this year).

And the winner of the First Screwage Award goes to: Couch Potato, with the announcement that Tony Moeaki is out for the year. And so it begins. At least it isn't me this year (Avery).

'CalBear said:
And the winner of the First Screwage Award goes to: Couch Potato, with the announcement that Tony Moeaki is out for the year. And so it begins. At least it isn't me this year (Avery).
Runner-up: Old Milwaukee (Rashad Jennings). Serves him right for stealing Jahvid Best.

'CalBear said:
Yeah, it's really exciting starting out in a 170 point hole before we even play a game!

Wow what a rush! I never thought a K run would be so exciting. I mean I was like 28 picks away and could do nothing about it.

God, I love football.

Very glad to get my kickers locked in. People make fun of kickers, but it is crucial in this format to avoid getting stuck with a kicker who does not have a secure position. There are typically a few teams that end up getting zeros at a kicker spot because of this. It is probably less of an issue this year, since we are drafting so late. For example, someone will get stuck with the Saints kicker this year... and he will have to choose between Kasay and Hartley.

For that reason, I was surprised the three owners who have no kickers didn't take at least one during the run. SLBD, Kruppe, and radballs all going K-K at the 12th/13th round turn really accelerated the run and put the pressure on for those who wanted to wait.

Very glad to get my kickers locked in. People make fun of kickers, but it is crucial in this format to avoid getting stuck with a kicker who does not have a secure position. There are typically a few teams that end up getting zeros at a kicker spot because of this. It is probably less of an issue this year, since we are drafting so late. For example, someone will get stuck with the Saints kicker this year... and he will have to choose between Kasay and Hartley.For that reason, I was surprised the three owners who have no kickers didn't take at least one during the run. SLBD, Kruppe, and radballs all going K-K at the 12th/13th round turn really accelerated the run and put the pressure on for those who wanted to wait.
I had a kicker queued up at 13.11, but after the Moeaki injury I decided to snag Pope instead; if Pope had been the starter at the beginning of the draft he would have gone several rounds earlier. I was definitely worried about the kicker situation but it looks manageable; like you say, with us drafting a few days before the season we don't have to guess who will win the camp battles.

'CalBear said:
Wow, 11 kickers in a row, not the in last round. Has to be a record.
And 27 out of 41 picks in the 12th to 14th rounds.
By contrast, last year the first kicker was taken at the same time (12.03 vs. 12.04 this year), and the 27th wasn't taken until 17.09. 16 total in rounds 12-14. Odd to see such a panic over kickers.Edit to add: And Matt Bryant, the #5 kicker last year, was taken at 18.10 as the 31st kicker off the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, people, let's get this finished up. You're roster-locked, there are almost no players left, just pre-draft and we can be done by noon tomorrow.

I got a kicker, whew!
Interested to see whether rzrback77 goes Kasay or Hartley. (Or Reed/Nedney/Graham as a flier? Anyone? Buehler?)
I'm pretty sure I am not giving away any state secrets. He predrafted Kasay.
That's the way I would have gone, too. You know you'll miss time with Hartley, and there's a possibility that Kasay will kick the whole year. Would be a pretty big last-round pick if it works out that way.

TMQB: Jaguars, Raiders

Well, I liked the Jags as a decent cheap option a whole lot better before they dumped Garrard. OAK should be closer to the middle of the pack this year and have at least a chance of postseason play.

RB: Forte, Spiller, Stewart, Wells

No one really sexy here, but better RB than I usually carry in these leagues. IMO, the second and third tier RBs were the guys to take, as the elite TE and WR were long gone and the drop off at WR and TMQB wasn't that great compared to the not so great late round RB options.

WR: Bowe, Breaston, Jennings, Roberts, Robiskie

I like this group as a whole, as they all currently are NFL starters. Bowe and Jennings should be a nice 1-2 punch.

TE: Gates, ZMiller, Olsen

I hate pinning my season hopes on a banged up TE, as that killed my last year when Clark got hurt. Miller and Olsen should be valuable in a league like this as both should get a lot of receptions but do very little with them.

PK: Carpenter, Crosby

They're kickers with jobs and one of them should be in the playoffs.

DEF: Colts, Seahawks

Two late round defenses that are interchangable with several others. Not worth spending mid round picks on defenses IMO.

Overall, don't hate it, don't love it. Without looking at the other team rosters in detail, I would say this team I would guess would finish in the 6-8 range without major injuries. Not a lot of playoff participants (at least it doesn't look to be that way at this stage of the game).

Team rzrback77

QB - Rams and Browns - Did not want to get QBs early, but saw value at pick 100 for Sam Bradford, AKA Rams QB. Was willing to wait until the end for the left-over QB, but again saw value for Colt McCoy at the end of the 14th round. After the top 15 or so went, the brakes were applied and nobody even looked at QBs. I feel really good about this pair for waiting so late and think that the Rams have a small shot at taking the NFC West.

RB - I went hard and heavy here. I did not intend to look that way, but think that the lack of ppr scoring here was overvalued. I was really happy with A. Foster at #4. Added McFadden and S. Jackson in the next two rounds as I saw them as the top players on the board. I also took Mathews and like the Chargers to win thier division. I might should have looked elsewhere, but again felt it was a value selection. I will be very disappointed if Houston does not make the playoffs, but of course the hamdtring worsened after the pick. Hope that the Rams take the NFC West. Added D. Murray late and think that Dallas has a shot at the playoffs and Murray will be involved and could be the guy if Felix continues to have problems.

Waited forever on WRs and will likely take a beating here. Grabbed Boldin (Baltimore expected to make playoffs), Benn on TB, Bess on Miami, J. Ford of Oakland, and Walters again of a likely playoff team.

I really like Gresham to outperform so I was thrilled to grab him late. Waited forever on the second TE and grabbed the Minnesota rookie. They have a lack of receivers so maybe they will use two TE sets a lot and he will surprise. I did ok with a similar strategy last year with the now overvalued Jimmy Graham.

Waited for the scraps at PK and got a guy that I have always liked in Nugent, who may not get many opportunities for EPs, but hopefully will kick a lot of FGs. I got the very last kicker and it is a risk, but what if Kasay does really well and whatshisname misses the first six or eight weeks. Could Kasay last the season? If he does, I got a bargain with the last pick. But then again, he may only play five weeks and then nothing. He should outscore several players taken ahead of him though.

Got the Lions, whose defense will put pressure on opposing QBs and may provide turnover opportunities. I have the Lions making the playoffs and really hope that the defense meets expectations. Also added the Doplhins late.

Blast away. I am sure many will support the negative vibes already discussed about taking RBs early. I enjoyed the draft and was so busy that even the lengthy delays did not bother me much. I will be following this my last draft of 2011 throughout the season and wish all of y'all good luck.

Using default (Dodds) projections, Draft Dominator projects the following:

2897.3 Anarchy99

2896.0 Just Win Baby

2791.7 rzrback77

2790.7 Duckboy

2759.5 nittanylion

2750.5 Coordinator

2717.8 radballs

2708.5 Norseman

2683.8 There It Is

2661.2 CalBear

2660.4 SLBD

2655.1 Fiddles

2643.6 Couch Potato

2564.7 Old Milwaukee

2515.7 Sinrman

2484.6 Kruppe

Obviously, this doesn't account for playoff points. And we already know injuries will be a huge factor.

And, no, I didn't draft according to DD, I just tracked the draft with it.

Overall, I'm reasonably satisfied with my team; my WRs should dominate the league (especially after seeing Jordy Nelson go off in week 1, although that's tempered by Wayne losing Manning for an extended period of time), but I'm fairly weak at RB, needing Moreno and Lynch to perform at top-25 levels to get any production out of that group at all. At TE it'll depend on what happens with Leonard Pope; FBG is projecting him with just 36 points, but that's crazy, since he scored more than that last year when Moeaki was in town. KC hasn't made a move to bring in another TE, so it looks like Pope is the starter; if he gets even 50% of Moeaki's targets he should score 100+ points. Because of that disparity, DD has me in the middle of the pack, but I probably should be closer to the top. It will depend, of course, on who stays healthy.

Here's my take on the flow of the draft:

1.11 Calvin Johnson (WR DET)

I had three top WRs slated for my pick here: Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Andre Johnson, in that order. Andre went earlier so I wound up with Calvin. I don't really see how Andre is winding up ahead of Calvin on draft boards; Calvin has shown much more ability to score TDs. As long as he and Stafford stay healthy he should be good for 80/1300/12, with upside from there.

Fitz was a close second for me; I am hoping (but not expecting) to still be able to get him in the second round. Witten and Gates are also in the mix, although I dislike their risk profiles relative to Fitz. More likely to be available are guys like Jennings and Wayne. I think 2.06 will be too early to go for Desean in this format (not enough receptions).

2.06 Reggie Wayne (WR IND)

Coordinator snagged the last of my top-tier receivers (Nicks) just ahead of me, which left me with my next tier of Wayne, Austin, and Jackson. Despite his pedigree I find it hard to justify Desean this high in this format; he just doesn't catch enough balls. I really like Austin but he may not be the #1 on his own team this year. So I went with Wayne, who is a virtual lock for 100 receptions and 1200 yards. One other consideration I had here was Darren McFadden, who was similarly ranked in VBD, but I don't really buy his projections; I see Oakland's run game taking a step backwards.

It's a long way down to 3.11; if life is good I'll be able to snag Tony Gonzalez down there. I'm probably leaning TE in any case, unless all the good ones are snarfed by then.

3.11 Tony Gonzalez (TE ATL)

Go Bears! Thanks to FBG for projecting Gronkowski with a couple more points than Gonzo in this format, or Duckboy might have snarfed my pick for the second time in a row. TEs are important in this format, and barring injury Gonzo will remain in the top 6, and could be top 3 if things fall right. He's got a lot left in the tank. There are only about four more reasonable TEs left, so I'm glad to get one here (plus he's a Bear).

I think the league is doing a pretty good job at keeping value balanced, except we're taking way too many QBs. My next pick could be WR, TE, or RB, depending on what goes on in the next few picks. Potential targets are Bowe, Marshall and Holmes at WR, Forte, Hillis and Blount at RB, and Winslow and Marcedes Lewis at TE. I'll hope for Forte, Bowe, or Marshall.

4.06 Brandon Marshall (WR MIA)

Anarchy stole my top two picks, but everyone else left me my third. Marshall is an impressive talent, and he and Henne are looking pretty good together in the pre-season. If Henne makes any strides at all this year, Marshall should be good for 90+ receptions, 1200 yards, and a reasonable number of TDs. I have him as the last of a tier; no one left really excites me. (I'm still considering Lloyd's season a fluke, we'll see if that comes back to bite me). I may wind up with the Miami TMQB later; I like QB/WR pairings in this format.

I'm set at WR, and with overall value still balanced it's almost certain I'll go TE or RB at my next pick. RB possibilities are Best, Blount, and Deangelo Williams, although I have a feeling they're all likely to be gone by 5.11.

5.11 Knowshon Moreno (RB DEN)

All the RBs I really cared about got wiped out, with Old Milwaukee delivering the coup de grace by taking Best four picks ahead of me. Still, RB value is hanging in there with WR value, slightly ahead in DVBD, and I do need to start picking up RBs at some point. I'm not wild about Moreno as a talent, but he is the unquestioned starter in a reasonable offense. He won out over Fred Jackson (not an unquestioned starter) and Cedric Benson (not a reasonable offense), and Marshawn Lynch (possibly both).

For my next pick, I am likely to go RB again if one of those three is available. If not, a fourth WR is a possibility (S.Moss or M.Thomas), or a second TE (Gresham or Z.Miller).

6.06 Marshawn Lynch (RB SEA)

Go Bears! DVBD is leaning heavily in favor of RBs, and fortunately at the top of my list sits a Golden Bear RB. Marshawn should get a lot of love in Seattle after his game-clinching run last year; he will still split time with Forsett, but he should produce decent numbers for a guy picked at #86 overall.

There are a few worthy running backs left (Benson, Jackson, Hightower, Grant, Addai), and it's possible I'll wind up with one of those next round. Otherwise it'll probably be a TE, Zach Miller, Jermaine Greshman or Ben Watson most likely,

7.11 Ben Watson (TE CLE)

All the RBs were cleaned out well before my pick. Below here the TEs don't catch passes; with 2PPR you have to get two pass-catching TEs. Ben Watson finished as the #11 TE in this format last year, and his situation hasn't substantively changed, so I really don't get why he's going as the #21 TE. I also thought about Zach Miller but I don't like TEs who are changing teams; you never know how the new team is going to use them.

With 2RB, 3WR, and 2TE, I'm pretty flexible with what I can take next. Right now it looks like the best values on the board are WRs, with a number of clear starters still available (Sims-Walker, Bess, Ward, Burleson). I also like Todd Heap as a flier; he's probably the only TE remaining I'd be willing to take.

8.06 Mike Sims-Walker (WR STL)

It's not entirely clear what will go on in St. Louis this year, but it seems like Sam Bradford is a solid QB ready for a break-out year, and Sims-Walker has the best chance of any of the receivers to be the prime beneficiary. If he winds up as the WR1, it's reasonable to expect he will better his 2009 performance (63/869/7). As a WR2, he can probably duplicate it. As a WR3, he would not get that much. So I'm expecting him to have a lead role (or at least hoping he will).

I really debated going for Heap here, but in addition to Heap's injury issues, taking him now would roster-lock me. I preferred to keep more flexbility, and it's possible (though unlikely) he'll still be there at my next pick. Otherwise, I'll take best value at RB or WR.

9.11 Kansas City TMQB (Matt Cassel)

Heap went quickly, as did all the RB and WR value. I had CJ Spiller at the top of my draft list, but I kept looking at the QB situation, and I think people are missing something here. The next QBs to draft are Cassell, Jason Campbell, Colt McCoy, Donovan McNabb, Cam Newton, and it goes downhill from there. That looks like a pretty big gap between Cassell and the rest of the field, doesn't it? The KC TMQB outscored the Oakland TMQB by 35 points last year, and Cassell should do even better this year. So, I decided to grab my first QB; I'll expect to take a crappy one later in the draft.

I was thinking it's also possible I'll get Spiller at 10.06, although with P.Thomas going just before my pick I think it's unlikely; I don't think there are any other RBs likely to go before Spiller, and someone will probably grab at least one in the next few picks. Maybe people will start taking K's and D's instead. If Spiller is gone, I'm probably looking at a WR, either Denarius Moore or one of the Green Bay guys. The only TE left I'd even consider is Shockey, and it would have to be a lot lower in the draft to be worth it.

10.06 Jordy Nelson (WR GB)

The run on D's started, and then Yudkin left me with 16 hours to pray Spiller would get back to me, before dashing my hopes. I'm sticking with my plan to draft D's in the last two rounds, so I'm not going to get in on that run. I'm thinking I may get Denarius Moore later if I want him, since the Derek Hagan performance has slowed down the Moore bandwagon. So that left me choosing between the Green Bay receivers. Driver is one of my favorite NFL players, but I don't see any reason to think he'll do better than last year. I actually prefer Nelson to James Jones, I think the upside is much higher, so I'm glad Jones went earlier.

I'll still need two RBs and a flex to fill out my skill positions, and I'll continue to target those in the next couple of rounds. With five WRs already, it's likely my flex will be a WR unless I get Shockey later. RBs worth targeting are Tomlinson, Hardesty (in spite of Otis), Thomas Jones, and Jacquizz Rodgers. Or I could go homer with Justin Forsett.

11.11 Ladanian Tomlinson (RB NYJ)

There's no player value left, so at this point it's just a question of who you think will outperform their draft position. With LT, is it just nostalgia? A memory of what he used to be? I don't think so. I think the Jets will still be running a full-blown RBBC, and Tomlinson is still a capable running back and a great pass-catcher. He's only 32; Emmitt finished as the #22 RB at age 35. Last year Tomlinson was the #17 RB and he still should be top-30, possibly even top-20 again. Here he's being taken as RB#47.

Plus, I'm a little nostalgic.

My next two picks are very likely to be an RB and another WR. Tomlinson was my first choice here, but #2 and #3 are still available, so I may be looking at Thomas Jones or Hardesty. If they're gone, I may wait on RB and snag Forsett late, although I'm really not excited about any of the WR prospects. Maybe Jerome Simpson.

12.06 Montario Hardesty (RB CLE)

My first choice, Thomas Jones, and most of my later choices went earlier, but Hardesty was my second choice and he held up for me. What I'm looking for for a RB at this point in the draft is not so much point scoring but potential; if circumstances change and the guy gets to start, will he produce good numbers? I think Hardesty is more talented than guys like Helu, Tate, or Forsett; as a starter he would probably put up Hillis 2010 type numbers. As a backup he'll put up some points here and there.

My base lineup is set; I need one TMQB, two kickers, two Ds, and a flex. I want two kickers who will definitely have jobs all year, and a TMQB who doesn't totally suck. That leaves me pretty open for my next pick; I'm thinking QB MIN might be a good choice.

13.11 Leonard Pope (TE KC)

Tony Moeaki was announced as out for the season between my last pick and this one. At 2PPR for TEs, any TE with a pulse is potentially valuable. Pope is a big target in what should be an effective offense; if he gets even 40 receptions he'll be major value down here. The benefit of leaving my flex position open this long is that I got to make this pick. You have to hit on some late-round fliers to win in this format; this is my shot in the dark.

Kickers are flying off the board; there have been 14 selected so far. I don't worry so much about getting a top kicker, but I do want to be sure to get two kickers who are likely to have their job all year, so my next pick, and probably my next two picks will be kickers. Longwell is of course my #1 guy. Flex is done, so it's probably K-K-QB-D-D in the remaining 5 rounds.

14.06 Ryan Longwell (PK MIN)

Go Bears! The impressive kicker run continnues (nine in a row!); Longwell is the 23rd kicker taken. I don't get why he's rated so poorly; he's one of the best in the league, kicking in a dome; no reason he shouldn't finish in the top half of the league. Yeah, the offense is a bit questionable, but between McNabb and Peterson they will get scoring opportunities.

There are about six kickers left I'd be comfortable drafting; I'm hoping at least one of those will last to my next pick, and I think that's reasonably likely. In any case, it looks like I'm taking a kicker next round.

15.11 Phil Dawson (PK CLE)

The insane kicker run continued, with 11 taken in a row. Dawson is the 29th kicker taken, leaving only Nugent, Hauschka and the New Orleans situation on the board. Hauschka was just brought in this week so I'm not sure his hold on the job is solid; taking one of the New Orleans kickers is a guarantee of games missed, with a risk of most of the season missed, and I like Cleveland's offense marginally better than Cincinatti's. So, Dawson. He'll have the job all year.

That leaves me with a QB and two Ds to take. Only one guy (There It Is) can take a QB between this pick and my next one, so I'm in decent shape; I'm going to target Miami (Henne) unless Palmer comes back to Cincinatti with the expectation of playing all year.

16.06 Chad Henne (TMQB MIA)

I liked how Henne looked in the pre-season, and I like that he's got Brandon Marshall and Reggie Bush to throw to (especially since I have the Marshall hook-up). I expect this to be a pretty big upside pick as the 30th QB off the board. Heck, even last year Miami TMQB finished as #28, the last entry before the Crap QB Dropoff (#28 scored 24 points more than #29).

Two defenses and I'm done.

17.11 Tennessee D (D TEN)

Whatever. Sticking with my theory (borne out last year) that defenses are the best thing to take in the last two rounds, this is a defense in the last two rounds.

18.06 Carolina D (D CAR)

See 17.11.

My summary of my draft:

1.16 Roddy White, WR, ATL - 3rd WR drafted. Had hoped to get two of the top 5 TEs at this turn, but 4 of them went in the 6 picks prior to mine, so I decided to go WR-TE. Last year, White was #12 overall in total points and #15 overall in average ppg.

2.1 Jermichael Finley, TE, GB - 5th TE drafted. I highly value the top TEs in this format, and IMO Finley was easily the best player available. Last year, before his injury, Finley averaged 19.5 ppg in this format, which would have placed him #4 among TEs and #17 overall had he maintained it all season. That is impressive, considering 10 of the 16 players with higher averages were Team QBs. In addition to his high scoring potential, he will likely get playoff points.

3.16 Mike Williams, WR, TB - 15th WR drafted. I may have reached a bit here, but I liked Williams more than the other available WRs, like Bowe, Marshall, Collie, Lloyd, Colston, and Maclin (the next 6 WRs drafted). Williams was the #16 WR in total points last year. Even though he probably won't have 11 TDs again, I expect he will have more catches and yards, and overall there is a solid chance he will score more points overall. I also think there is a decent chance for playoff points with Tampa.

4.1 Kellen Winslow, TE, TB - 10th TE drafted. At this point, I felt there was a TE dropoff coming after Winslow, Graham, and Pettigrew, and I wanted to make sure to get a second top 10 TE before the dropoff. Last year, Winslow was the #10 TE in overall points and the #9 TE in ppg, and reports are that he has looked very good in training camp this year. I strongly considered Graham, but there are so many targets in New Orleans, I felt Winslow will get more targets and catches... with 2 PPR, that decided it for me. There may also be a very slight value to having both Williams and Winslow, in that if one of them misses time, the other might get more targets. As mentioned, I also think there is a decent chance for playoff points with Tampa. In retrospect, I'm not sure I did the right thing here in choosing Winslow over Graham.

5.16 Santana Moss, WR, WAS - 28th WR drafted. Should be good value here. He finished last year as the #13 WR in both total points and ppg in this format. He remains the #1 WR on the Redskins, and the team will likely have at least a marginally improved QB performance this year. The only negative is that there won't likely be any playoff points.

6.1 Detroit Lions, TMQB, DET - 14th TMQB drafted. I was willing to wait on QB, but the value with the Lions was compelling. Last year, Detroit was the #10 TMQB in total points and the #9 TMQB in ppg... and that was with Stafford playing only 3 games. (And they were 3 excellent games.) Detroit was #3 in the league in passing attempts, and, with Leshoure's injury and strong passing weapons, that doesn't seem likely to come down too much. Perhaps more importantly, I felt there was a healthy dropoff at TMQB after the Lions; I assume some of the teams remaining will outscore them or come close... but it was harder to predict the performance of the remaining teams IMO. Probably no playoff points here.

7.16 Heath Miller, TE, PIT - 23rd TE drafted. This pick locked in my flex, since this gave me 3 TEs. The value was compelling, getting a likely 160+ points from a skill position player at this point in the draft. And 7 of the next 20 picks were TEs, so it was good timing to get him. Last season, Miller was the #17 TE with 180.1 points. That total included 3 playoff games, but he also missed 2 regular season games. Also, he had just 2 regular season TDs, a career low; nowhere to go but up. He will likely get playoff points.

8.1 James Starks, RB, GB - 35th RB drafted. I was finally compelled to take a RB. Clearly, the RB position will be the main weakness of my team, but that was my plan coming into the draft, since RB is the lowest scoring position. In Starks, I got a RB in a great offense that is likely to make the playoffs. I also got a guy that many feel will get more than half of the RB work in Green Bay this season; last year, that didn't add up to much, but in 2009 Green Bay RBs combined for 250 fantasy points in this format. Hoping for 100+ points here. The opening game was encouraging, as Starks looked very good.

9.16 Green Bay Packers, Def, GB - 2nd Defense drafted. Wasn't thrilled with the values at the other positions, and decided to take two defenses back to back to lock in high points and hopefully trigger a run on defenses. Green Bay was the #1 defense in total points last season. They should make the playoffs and there is every reason they will again be a top scoring defense. Some people discount defenses as being unpredictable year to year, and I think there is some truth to that once enough defenses are off the board... but locking up the Packers should be worth well more than 200 points. Should be similar value to the Steelers defense, but taken 62 picks later.

10.1 Philadelphia Eagles, Def, PHI - 3rd Defense drafted. The second of the back to back defenses, as already described. Last season, the Eagles were the #14 defense in both total points and ppg. But with the additions to the team this offseason, they seem primed to move into the elite tier. They also seem very likely to make the playoffs. Hopefully locked up another 200 points here. Also triggered a mini run on defenses, which were taken with 6 of the next 8 picks.

11.16 Bernard Scott, RB, CIN - 50th RB taken. Considered going K-K at this turn, but decided I could afford to wait. I felt there were still a few RBs left with a good shot at 100+ points, and decided I should take two of them, given that there were still at least 16 more RBs to be drafted, and scoring would still likely fall off in that group by 40-50 points. Scott has played well in his limited opportunities, and Benson just got out of jail... there could be some big upside here. Hoping for 100+ points. No playoff points.

12.1 Delone Carter, RB, IND - 51st RB taken. Rationale for going RB is described above. Carter surpassed Brown as the #2 RB in Indy, and the opportunity is there for short yardage and goal line work, and possibly a solid RBBC share. If he plays well or Addai gets hurt, there is good upside, especially if the team relies more on the running game with Manning out. Hoping for 100+ points. Probably no chance at playoff points with Manning out.

13.16 Jason Hanson, K, DET - 17th K taken. Needed to go K-K at this turn. Thought about doing it at the last turn and opted to wait, which could have been a big mistake; 16 of the 30 picks taken between my 12th and 13th rounds picks were kickers. Every year, one or more teams get hurt by taking a kicker who loses his job. To some degree, that risk is mitigated this year, since we still had multiple rounds left in our draft with the season opening just a few days from now, so the jobs had essentially been won. Still, I wanted no additional risk here. I decided to put a lot of faith in Herman's projections. Only two of his top 14 kickers were left on the board - Hanson and Gano, who were tied at #8 in his rankings. Last year, Hanson and Rayner (when Hanson was hurt) combined for 134 points, which would have ranked as K #13 in total points. And that was without Stafford and with Best playing hurt. The offense should be more productive this year, which should provide Hanson with more opportunities. And there is a small chance at playoff points, which really helps at this position... 6 of the top 7 kickers last year were on playoff teams.

14.1 Graham Gano, K, WAS - 18th K taken. Already described the rationale in choosing Gano. He had a strong preseason. There is some risk here, since the Redskins offense is not one of the strongest. Last year, Gano was just #23 in total points among kickers. And no playoff points here. Probably made a strategic error in not taking Kaeding-Crosby at the 11th/12th turn, with only 4 RBs going between my 12th and 13th round picks... might have cost myself 50+ points there.

15.16 Tennessee Titans, TMQB, TEN - 29th TMQB taken. Thought the Titans were clearly better than the other 3 remaining TMQBs (CIN, SF, MIA), and felt certain that if I waited on TMQB at this turn, I'd get the last TMQB taken. Last season, the Titans TMQB was #24 in total points, and that was with Britt missing 4 games. They also finished strong once Britt returned from injury, performing as the #8 TMQB in the last 4 weeks of the season. Hasselbeck is arguably an upgrade at QB. Add it all up, and there is a good chance at 275+ points, which is excellent value here. Playoff points are very unlikely, but the QB situations with IND and JAX may open the door just a little bit.

16.1 Jabar Gaffney, WR, WAS - 71st WR taken. Excellent value here. Gaffney is the Redskins' #2 WR, and Cooley is hurting. Gaffney finished as the #37 WR last season in this format, and Washington traded for him after the lockout, so they wanted him. No playoff points, but could still put up 100+ points.

17.16 Eric Decker, WR, DEN - 82nd WR taken. Hoping for 100+ points here.

18.1 Isaac Redman, RB, PIT - 65th RB taken. Not much value left at RB. Hoping for at least 50 points, with potential for more if Mendenhall misses any time. The team should be in the playoffs, which should help.

Altogether, I'm happy with this team. Injuries are always crucial in this format, so hoping to stay healthy. If that happens, this team should contend.

Noticed today that the Saints placed Hartley on IR so my last round selection of Kasay was a nice value selection. Now if I could get Arian Foster who I celebrated with the 4th overall pick to play some.

My summary of my draft:

1.16 Roddy White, WR, ATL - 3rd WR drafted. Had hoped to get two of the top 5 TEs at this turn, but 4 of them went in the 6 picks prior to mine, so I decided to go WR-TE. Last year, White was #12 overall in total points and #15 overall in average ppg.

2.1 Jermichael Finley, TE, GB - 5th TE drafted. I highly value the top TEs in this format, and IMO Finley was easily the best player available. Last year, before his injury, Finley averaged 19.5 ppg in this format, which would have placed him #4 among TEs and #17 overall had he maintained it all season. That is impressive, considering 10 of the 16 players with higher averages were Team QBs. In addition to his high scoring potential, he will likely get playoff points.

3.16 Mike Williams, WR, TB - 15th WR drafted. I may have reached a bit here, but I liked Williams more than the other available WRs, like Bowe, Marshall, Collie, Lloyd, Colston, and Maclin (the next 6 WRs drafted). Williams was the #16 WR in total points last year. Even though he probably won't have 11 TDs again, I expect he will have more catches and yards, and overall there is a solid chance he will score more points overall. I also think there is a decent chance for playoff points with Tampa.

4.1 Kellen Winslow, TE, TB - 10th TE drafted. At this point, I felt there was a TE dropoff coming after Winslow, Graham, and Pettigrew, and I wanted to make sure to get a second top 10 TE before the dropoff. Last year, Winslow was the #10 TE in overall points and the #9 TE in ppg, and reports are that he has looked very good in training camp this year. I strongly considered Graham, but there are so many targets in New Orleans, I felt Winslow will get more targets and catches... with 2 PPR, that decided it for me. There may also be a very slight value to having both Williams and Winslow, in that if one of them misses time, the other might get more targets. As mentioned, I also think there is a decent chance for playoff points with Tampa. In retrospect, I'm not sure I did the right thing here in choosing Winslow over Graham.

5.16 Santana Moss, WR, WAS - 28th WR drafted. Should be good value here. He finished last year as the #13 WR in both total points and ppg in this format. He remains the #1 WR on the Redskins, and the team will likely have at least a marginally improved QB performance this year. The only negative is that there won't likely be any playoff points.

6.1 Detroit Lions, TMQB, DET - 14th TMQB drafted. I was willing to wait on QB, but the value with the Lions was compelling. Last year, Detroit was the #10 TMQB in total points and the #9 TMQB in ppg... and that was with Stafford playing only 3 games. (And they were 3 excellent games.) Detroit was #3 in the league in passing attempts, and, with Leshoure's injury and strong passing weapons, that doesn't seem likely to come down too much. Perhaps more importantly, I felt there was a healthy dropoff at TMQB after the Lions; I assume some of the teams remaining will outscore them or come close... but it was harder to predict the performance of the remaining teams IMO. Probably no playoff points here.

7.16 Heath Miller, TE, PIT - 23rd TE drafted. This pick locked in my flex, since this gave me 3 TEs. The value was compelling, getting a likely 160+ points from a skill position player at this point in the draft. And 7 of the next 20 picks were TEs, so it was good timing to get him. Last season, Miller was the #17 TE with 180.1 points. That total included 3 playoff games, but he also missed 2 regular season games. Also, he had just 2 regular season TDs, a career low; nowhere to go but up. He will likely get playoff points.

8.1 James Starks, RB, GB - 35th RB drafted. I was finally compelled to take a RB. Clearly, the RB position will be the main weakness of my team, but that was my plan coming into the draft, since RB is the lowest scoring position. In Starks, I got a RB in a great offense that is likely to make the playoffs. I also got a guy that many feel will get more than half of the RB work in Green Bay this season; last year, that didn't add up to much, but in 2009 Green Bay RBs combined for 250 fantasy points in this format. Hoping for 100+ points here. The opening game was encouraging, as Starks looked very good.

9.16 Green Bay Packers, Def, GB - 2nd Defense drafted. Wasn't thrilled with the values at the other positions, and decided to take two defenses back to back to lock in high points and hopefully trigger a run on defenses. Green Bay was the #1 defense in total points last season. They should make the playoffs and there is every reason they will again be a top scoring defense. Some people discount defenses as being unpredictable year to year, and I think there is some truth to that once enough defenses are off the board... but locking up the Packers should be worth well more than 200 points. Should be similar value to the Steelers defense, but taken 62 picks later.

10.1 Philadelphia Eagles, Def, PHI - 3rd Defense drafted. The second of the back to back defenses, as already described. Last season, the Eagles were the #14 defense in both total points and ppg. But with the additions to the team this offseason, they seem primed to move into the elite tier. They also seem very likely to make the playoffs. Hopefully locked up another 200 points here. Also triggered a mini run on defenses, which were taken with 6 of the next 8 picks.

11.16 Bernard Scott, RB, CIN - 50th RB taken. Considered going K-K at this turn, but decided I could afford to wait. I felt there were still a few RBs left with a good shot at 100+ points, and decided I should take two of them, given that there were still at least 16 more RBs to be drafted, and scoring would still likely fall off in that group by 40-50 points. Scott has played well in his limited opportunities, and Benson just got out of jail... there could be some big upside here. Hoping for 100+ points. No playoff points.

12.1 Delone Carter, RB, IND - 51st RB taken. Rationale for going RB is described above. Carter surpassed Brown as the #2 RB in Indy, and the opportunity is there for short yardage and goal line work, and possibly a solid RBBC share. If he plays well or Addai gets hurt, there is good upside, especially if the team relies more on the running game with Manning out. Hoping for 100+ points. Probably no chance at playoff points with Manning out.

13.16 Jason Hanson, K, DET - 17th K taken. Needed to go K-K at this turn. Thought about doing it at the last turn and opted to wait, which could have been a big mistake; 16 of the 30 picks taken between my 12th and 13th rounds picks were kickers. Every year, one or more teams get hurt by taking a kicker who loses his job. To some degree, that risk is mitigated this year, since we still had multiple rounds left in our draft with the season opening just a few days from now, so the jobs had essentially been won. Still, I wanted no additional risk here. I decided to put a lot of faith in Herman's projections. Only two of his top 14 kickers were left on the board - Hanson and Gano, who were tied at #8 in his rankings. Last year, Hanson and Rayner (when Hanson was hurt) combined for 134 points, which would have ranked as K #13 in total points. And that was without Stafford and with Best playing hurt. The offense should be more productive this year, which should provide Hanson with more opportunities. And there is a small chance at playoff points, which really helps at this position... 6 of the top 7 kickers last year were on playoff teams.

14.1 Graham Gano, K, WAS - 18th K taken. Already described the rationale in choosing Gano. He had a strong preseason. There is some risk here, since the Redskins offense is not one of the strongest. Last year, Gano was just #23 in total points among kickers. And no playoff points here. Probably made a strategic error in not taking Kaeding-Crosby at the 11th/12th turn, with only 4 RBs going between my 12th and 13th round picks... might have cost myself 50+ points there.

15.16 Tennessee Titans, TMQB, TEN - 29th TMQB taken. Thought the Titans were clearly better than the other 3 remaining TMQBs (CIN, SF, MIA), and felt certain that if I waited on TMQB at this turn, I'd get the last TMQB taken. Last season, the Titans TMQB was #24 in total points, and that was with Britt missing 4 games. They also finished strong once Britt returned from injury, performing as the #8 TMQB in the last 4 weeks of the season. Hasselbeck is arguably an upgrade at QB. Add it all up, and there is a good chance at 275+ points, which is excellent value here. Playoff points are very unlikely, but the QB situations with IND and JAX may open the door just a little bit.

16.1 Jabar Gaffney, WR, WAS - 71st WR taken. Excellent value here. Gaffney is the Redskins' #2 WR, and Cooley is hurting. Gaffney finished as the #37 WR last season in this format, and Washington traded for him after the lockout, so they wanted him. No playoff points, but could still put up 100+ points.

17.16 Eric Decker, WR, DEN - 82nd WR taken. Hoping for 100+ points here.

18.1 Isaac Redman, RB, PIT - 65th RB taken. Not much value left at RB. Hoping for at least 50 points, with potential for more if Mendenhall misses any time. The team should be in the playoffs, which should help.

Altogether, I'm happy with this team. Injuries are always crucial in this format, so hoping to stay healthy. If that happens, this team should contend.
With all bye weeks complete, and just past the halfway point of this season that includes playoff games, it seems like a good time to revisit. I am happy my team is in first place, and cautiously optimistic that my team has a good shot at winning it all.Midseason review of my draft picks:

1.16. White is WR #11 so far, which has been mildly disappointing. Hopefully he can pick it up down the stretch. Has a shot at playoff points, especially with Cutler's injury.

2.1. Finley is TE #10 so far, which has been mildly disappointing. Still has a chance to top 300 points, though. Lock for playoff points as long as he stays healthy, and possibly 2-3 playoff games.

3.16. Williams is WR #33 so far and was a poor pick. No playoff points here.

4.1. Winslow is TE #8 so far and is outperforming his draft pick, but what a disaster that I chose him over Graham! Graham has almost 100 more points right now, and will make the playoffs, while Winslow will not. If my team doesn't win the title, it could come down to this decision. Disastrous 3-4 turn.

5.16. Moss is WR #70 so far, but he was playing well before he got hurt. He is due back soon, which should give my lineup a boost. No playoff points here. Good decision, bad outcome on this pick.

6.1. The Lions are Team QB #5 so far, excellent value for its draft position. Great shot at the playoffs.

7.16. Miller is TE #15 so far, excellent value for his draft position, particularly considering that he should get playoff points as long as he stays healthy. I mentioned that I was hoping for 160+ points, which looks like a lock, given that he has 135.1 already. If he stays healthy, it looks like he should get 200+.

8.1. Starks is RB #30 so far, good value for his draft position, particularly considering that he will get playoff points as long as he stays healthy. I mentioned that I was hoping for 100+ points, which looks like a lock, given that he has 81.1 already.

9.16. The Packers D/ST is #7 so far, which is mildly disappointing, but they will probably move up in the rankings due to the playoffs. Still a solid pick IMO. I mentioned that I was hoping for 200+ points, which is still possible but probably not likely.

10.1. The Eagles D/ST is #10 so far, but this was a poor pick. No playoff points, barring a miracle turnaround.

11.16. Scott is RB #62, with just 33.6 points. Disappointing, but it was a long shot to begin with. As predicted, there will be no playoff points. A Benson injury could still salvage some value here, but otherwise he has no chance to reach 100+ points as I had hoped.

12.1. Carter is RB #45, with 46 points. It was looking promising a few weeks ago, now not so much. I mentioned I was hoping for 100+ points, but it looks pretty unlikely he will get there.

13.16. Hanson is tied for K #6, so this was a great pick, particularly since he seems to have a good shot at playoff points.

14.1. Gano is K #20, right in line with where he was drafted. I mentioned after the draft that I had considered going Kaeding-Crosby earlier, which would have been a disaster with Kaeding's injury. So my kickers worked out well.

15.16. The Titans Team QB is #14, excellent value for the 29th Team QB drafted. No playoff points, but big part of my team's success.

16.1. Gaffney is WR #26 so far, excellent value for his draft position. I mentioned that I was hoping for 100+ points, and he is already well beyond that with 118.3. No playoff points, but big part of my team's success.

17.16. Decker WR #23 so far, excellent value for his draft position... maybe the SOD. I mentioned that I was hoping for 100+ points, and he is already well beyond that with 122.3. No playoff points, but big part of my team's success.

18.1. Redman is RB #58 so far, which is better than his draft position. I mentioned that I was hoping for 50+ points, and he is on pace to exceed 50, especially with possible playoff points. Not bad for my final pick.

Looks like I could get as many as 8 playoff performers, which would help a lot. It would be a blow to my chances if Detroit doesn't make it.

The biggest reason my team is leading is because I have not suffered many missed games. Moss is the only guy who has missed substantial time. If that trend continues, I like my team's chances.

:football:

Entering the playoffs:

Just Win Baby

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB

Redman, Isaac PIT RB

Scott, Bernard CIN RB

Starks, James GBP RB

Decker, Eric DEN WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP

Miller, Heath PIT TE

Hanson, Jason DET PK

Packers, Green Bay GBP Def

Duckboy -82.32

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN TMQB

Green-Ellis, BenJarvus NEP RB

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Ward, Hines PIT WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE

Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK

Giants, New York NYG Def

Saints, New Orleans NOS Def

It doesn't look like any other team is in contention at this point. 13 playoff performers for Duckboy is ridiculous! I don't feel confident at all about holding the lead.

Entering the playoffs:

Just Win Baby

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB

Redman, Isaac PIT RB

Scott, Bernard CIN RB

Starks, James GBP RB

Decker, Eric DEN WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP

Miller, Heath PIT TE

Hanson, Jason DET PK

Duckboy -82.32

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Ward, Hines PIT WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Giants, New York NYG Def

It doesn't look like any other team is in contention at this point. 13 playoff performers for Duckboy is ridiculous! I don't feel confident at all about holding the lead.
After the first week of the playoffs:Just Win Baby

Starks, James GBP RB

Decker, Eric DEN WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP

Duckboy -87.54

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Giants, New York NYG Def

I think you've got it wrapped up; in fact I think the top four are set. 90 points is pretty huge at this point; certainly if Green Bay wins a game you'll be a shoo-in. Well done, sir! My best showing so far, as well; I'll go back and analyze my draft, which will suck less but be more painful because I'm sure that with just one or two plausible changes I could have been on top.

One thing I noticed about this year; having this draft late in the summer reduced my amount of interest in the league, because I was already deep in preparations for my main league. If we're going to do it again, I'd be for doing it early, just to allow more time for smack talk and analysis in the dead part of the year.

I think you've got it wrapped up; in fact I think the top four are set. 90 points is pretty huge at this point; certainly if Green Bay wins a game you'll be a shoo-in. Well done, sir! My best showing so far, as well; I'll go back and analyze my draft, which will suck less but be more painful because I'm sure that with just one or two plausible changes I could have been on top.

One thing I noticed about this year; having this draft late in the summer reduced my amount of interest in the league, because I was already deep in preparations for my main league. If we're going to do it again, I'd be for doing it early, just to allow more time for smack talk and analysis in the dead part of the year.
:lmao: :lmao:

Well put.He should be hoping for 6th.

Entering the playoffs:

Just Win Baby

Lions, Detroit DET TMQB

Redman, Isaac PIT RB

Scott, Bernard CIN RB

Starks, James GBP RB

Decker, Eric DEN WR

White, Roddy ATL WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP

Miller, Heath PIT TE

Hanson, Jason DET PK

Duckboy -82.32

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Ward, Hines PIT WR

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Giants, New York NYG Def

After the first week of the playoffs:Just Win Baby

Starks, James GBP RB

Decker, Eric DEN WR

Finley, Jermichael GBP

Duckboy -87.54

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

Ward, Derrick HOU RB

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Giants, New York NYG Def

After the second week of the playoffs:Just Win Baby

[no playoff performers remaining]

Duckboy -22.24

Ridley, Stevan NEP RB

Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE

Giants, New York NYG Def

At this point, it would be shocking for Duckboy not to win. :sadbanana:

I'm sorry?

I'm sorry?
Calbear said"the top four are set" and he is forth. I'm fifth and I think Calbear and I will be lucky to end up sixth. I think we will be both fall below sixth.So, I was saying the top 4 are not set. Calbear should be hoping for 6th. Hope that clears it up.

I love this league and especially League 2 the best league.

Good luck all!

Congrats Duckboy. I love the way you draft

Great job Just win Baby and Coordinator for ending up well a head of the rest of us.

Thank you David.

I hope League 2, the best league,stays together next year.

4.1. Winslow is TE #8 so far and is outperforming his draft pick, but what a disaster that I chose him over Graham! Graham has almost 100 more points right now, and will make the playoffs, while Winslow will not. If my team doesn't win the title, it could come down to this decision. Disastrous 3-4 turn.
This decision cost me the title. :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread