What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 buy low guys (1 Viewer)

Ariakis

Footballguy
I don't think I've seen this thread but now that we're close to the season I've got a few teams I like and a few I'm on the verge of blowing up. For those I blow up I've been thinking about who to target that can be had cheaply now that can turn into a difference maker sooner than later. The classic case was Michael Turner a few years ago ... for 2012 Michael Bush comes to mind. Anyone else beyond the obvious rookie/young QB's?

Anyone with more value that you'd have to trade someone decent for vs. fringe roster spots? Good point about these QB's for sure although startable doesn't mean fantasy stud. We'll see how those that hoarded Kolb fair this year.

I like to target the busts. They can usually be had cheaply. On the downside, there's normally a reason they can be had cheaply. CJ Spiller. Depending on your league size I'd buy Kyle Orton. I'm not a big fan of his but I'm sure he'll be a starter somewhere next year. His value is quite low right now.

I like to target the busts. They can usually be had cheaply. On the downside, there's normally a reason they can be had cheaply. CJ Spiller. Depending on your league size I'd buy Kyle Orton. I'm not a big fan of his but I'm sure he'll be a starter somewhere next year. His value is quite low right now.
What makes you sure?

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you sure?
I don't believe he's a great quarterback. But I don't believe he's horrible. I think some team will make a move for him to be their journeyman starter.

What makes you sure?
I don't believe he's a great quarterback. But I don't believe he's horrible. I think some team will make a move for him to be their journeyman starter.
You could say the same about Palmer and he is free on waivers in most leagues.

Johnny Knox- too much talent not to put together sooner or later

Josh Johnson- just needs his chance, this kid seems special to me

Clyde Gates- he's the deep threat Miami needs. Think he'll eventually evolve into their starter once he puts it together.

What makes you sure?
You could say the same about Palmer and he is free on waivers in most leagues.

Josh Johnson is a great call! I'm going to pick him up at the end of the year because he's going to get his shot somewhere.

Josh Johnson is a great call! I'm going to pick him up at the end of the year because he's going to get his shot somewhere.
I don't see the love for this kid. He's looked lousy in the regular season. Has he looked great in preseason? I see no reason to think a team would sign him as anything more than a backup. In 146 attempts, he's completed 54%. For a 5.5 ypa. 4 touchdowns and 8 interceptions. What am I missing? He seems like a guy folks should sell before reality sets in.

Ryan Williams - could be a guy to stash away assuming he makes a full recovery

Also keeping an eye on Alex Green - Grant's time may be up after this year, and I'm not sure team brass is totally sold on Starks yet

There seems to be a trend of 1st round RB's that have big predictions coming out of college that take a year or two to catch on, McFadden, R. Matthews, R. Rice come to mind. Is there anyone people think can continue this trend. Is someone like Spiller in Buf or D. Brown in ind worth trying to buy low on. They look like busts now but two years ago it looked like McFadden was going to lose his job to Bush and this year it looked like Matthews would not be able to unseat Tolbert. I would be interested to hear peoples opinions.

There seems to be a trend of 1st round RB's that have big predictions coming out of college that take a year or two to catch on, McFadden, R. Matthews, R. Rice come to mind. Is there anyone people think can continue this trend. Is someone like Spiller in Buf or D. Brown in ind worth trying to buy low on. They look like busts now but two years ago it looked like McFadden was going to lose his job to Bush and this year it looked like Matthews would not be able to unseat Tolbert. I would be interested to hear peoples opinions.
Watch out for PIT TE Wesley Saunders.Heath Miller has had the propensity to be hurt past few years and Saunders is already receiving reps this year in the Steelers passing game. It could be sometime next year where he gets 'it' and can perform top 10 TE production.

Taiwan Jones and Dion Lewis

Both exciting guys that are probably an injury away from starters' roles. (I assume Bush will leave Da Raiders.)

When I started the thread I was thinking more guys who you would trade a Roddy White for than who you would pick up on waivers but either way glad someone bumped this.

Curious what the take is on Jon Stewart, Ingram, Dan Thomas, and some of the other young RB's that you may be able to get for your vets.

Mario Manningham is a FA next season. Could be boom or bust on a different team. On the Saints or Panthers he could have good numbers. It will be interesting, he'll be looking for a big payday but will the Giants want to pay him what he wants if his season continues like it has.

The way it's going it wouldn't shock me if Manningham walks and the Giants sign Steve Smith (Philly).

C J Spiller

Arrelious Benn

Darrius Heyward Bey

Brandon Lloyd

Michael Crabtree

Jamaal Charles

Kenny Britt

Bilal Powell

Montario Hardesty

Kendall Hunter

Demaryius Thomas

Sam Bradford

Mark Ingram

Mikel Leshoure

Ryan Williams

Hillis isn't getting the love from the front office that he's asking for, he could be gone from Cleveland making Hardesty the man.

Someone will bring Flynn in and he will do well.

Taiwan Jones..Man, I don't know how he is going to get the opportunity but if he does, he will easily be a star in this league. I don't mean "productive FF player" like Jahvid Best. I mean "star NFL player" like Chris Johnson. I admit, I can't quite see the angle that gets him his shot right now but he will produce if it comes.

Someone will bring Flynn in and he will do well.Taiwan Jones..Man, I don't know how he is going to get the opportunity but if he does, he will easily be a star in this league. I don't mean "productive FF player" like Jahvid Best. I mean "star NFL player" like Chris Johnson. I admit, I can't quite see the angle that gets him his shot right now but he will produce if it comes.
If Bush leaves, (likely), and McFadden gets injured, (also pretty likely). This year it would take an injury to both, which probably isn't that unlikely.

Donald Brown. Talented runner, bad fit for Indy. I think his best days are ahead of him and hes even on some waiver wires right now.

I like Demaryius Thomas. Next year he should be healthy and starting his third year. The guy will be a stud if he can put it all together.

'Baron Samedi said:
Matt Flynn, Green Bay. He'll be a starter somewhere next season.
Flynn does NOT have an NFL arm. he may be a starter somewhere, but it'll be short-lived. He's a bridge guy to the next QB, nothing more.
Same thing they said about Matt Shaub but anyways we shall see.
I'm not saying Flynn is garbage, but he is not what NFL teams are looking for in a starter. He has probably every tool in the book except arm strength. I'm an LSU fan so I love the guy, but I can't see him being anything but a good backup long-term.

I like Demaryius Thomas. Next year he should be healthy and starting his third year. The guy will be a stud if he can put it all together.
You think he'll get in right away once he's cleared to play or has Decker cemented his starting spot? How confident are we that he comes all the way back from his Achilles, the guys on the podcast were talking like Leshure might never be the same runner after his.

Im not confident that he will return from the Achilles injury. All I know is coming out I thought he looked special and I knew it would take a couple years for him to develop so my plan all along was to wait a year or two and then trade for him after the person that drafted had given up on him. If you can get him cheap I think he is well worth the risk.

DeMarco Murray for Dallas. The coaches love him, they spent an early 3rd on him, and were planning a big role for him this year before he got injured in trainiing camp. Tashard Choice has never been a big favorite of Garrett's, and they'll let him walk in free agency this offseason. It's a Top 5 scoring offense that likes to run in the red zone, and Felix is always an injury risk and not a great short yardage runner.

Someone will bring Flynn in and he will do well.Taiwan Jones..Man, I don't know how he is going to get the opportunity but if he does, he will easily be a star in this league. I don't mean "productive FF player" like Jahvid Best. I mean "star NFL player" like Chris Johnson. I admit, I can't quite see the angle that gets him his shot right now but he will produce if it comes.
TJones has elite quickness and speed.. He will need to add some muscle to the frame.. He got lit up a few times when trying to pass block a rushing LB in preseason.. I know, even the best blocking RB's sometimes get rocked pass blocking but he can add some pounds and muscle to his frame.. He has the speed and quicks..

Donald Brown. Talented runner, bad fit for Indy. I think his best days are ahead of him and hes even on some waiver wires right now.
:confused: He's the perfect RB for a team like Indy, which further indicates he's a RB3 at best in the NFL. If he can't succeed in an offense built for that kind of RB with Manning at the helm, he's not going to succeed. He's certainly not a power-back.

Alex Green in Green Bay. Ryant Grant is probably gone. James Starks is ok but not a pass receiver. Green has the whole package to be the best back since cousin Ahman Green.

Users who are viewing this thread