What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Coach Otis All-Value Team (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Holy smokes, it’s 2012. It’s been 2012 technically for a while now, but now it’s like really 2012. Because before this you were down pasting your Adrian Peterson Fathead to the wall of your goofy mancave and getting all geared up to kick back with your sweet fantasy mag and be a real fantasy shark, but now it's really happening. And while you’ve been down in a dank basement scratching out a draft list during Shark Week, a small number of us have been circling from afar, high up above, unseen, unaccounted for. We’ve been keeping a close eye without getting into the weeds, we’ve been unconcerned with the minutiae, always the big picture in plain view.

. . . . . | | . . | | . . . ___ ___ _________ . | (\.|\/|./) | . ___ ____| | | | / _ \ . (\ |||||| /) . | | / /| |___| | | /_\ | | (\ |/ \| /) | | |/ /| | | | (\ /) | /| ___ | | ___ | (\ /) | \| | | | | | | | \ \/ / | |\ \|___| |___| |___| |___| \____/\/\____/ |___| \___\ |0\/0| \/\/ \/As bostonfred noted, there are barely any sharks here anymore. It’s mostly fishies. Sweating their first round picks. Second round picks. Using draft dominatrix matrix, and draft apps, and team raters, and master raters, and master draft team dominating value based shark matrix calculators. But at the end of the day, if you're using your first couple of draft picks, you're not much of a hawk at all, are you? How much dominance are you asserting over your league when you all started on equal footing? That's not hawk. That's barely a shark, at best, under the right circumstances, on the right day of the week, and it’s probably just plain gup. You want to really show the guys in your league who's boss? Throw away your first round pick. Seriously. Toss it. When you're sitting around the table and your pick comes up and everyone looks at you, just politely say "pass." Do the same thing in the second round. Let them laugh. That's just a sign of their insecurity. The quiet ones are the ones who are realizing, at that very moment, that they aren't dealing with just any ordinary fantasy magic football guy. This is a real life hawk, sitting right across the table from them, and the one thing that is going through their mind is what they should be putting in the Memo field of the $50 check they are writing to you, because this fantasy season has already ended for them. It’s like the schoolyard bully taking everyone’s lunch money, except he doesn’t have to ask--the kids just line up and fork it over.

This is it. The 2012 All-Value All-Otis All-Hawk Team -- start picking these guys in, like, I dunno, the 3rd, maybe 4th rounds, and then win your league handily, and then have everyone fully appreciate who the real hawk in the room is. You'll probably be disinvited from the league in 2013 and have to end up joining Tim’s league, but screw those guys, they sucked anyway.

Coach has had the interns hard at work here all summer crunching the numbers, watching Hard Knocks, and this year's crop is even better than the last. We got some criticism last year, but people thought Tesla and Columbus were crazy and wrong when they was alive too.

Let's sharpen the claws and have at it...

QB

Jay Cutler

You’re welcome.

You’re welcome because you were probably going to draft RG3 or MP4 or ABC or T-Jizzy or some super sexy “OMG” pick with a cool nickname at QB, but for the price of a bag of donuts we just handed you a top 5 QB in 2012. “But Coach, wait a minute, all my apps and mags and that guy rizzer96 at FFToday say he’s no good!” If you want to follow the crowd, then just keep on swimming. We’re offering you different and better in here, and Cutler is going to be tossing bombs at Marshall and Forte all year, and lots of those bombs will end up in the end zone. The Chicago Bears will be surprisingly effective in the passing game this year. Cutler will have a resurgence in his career--he won’t match 2008, but then again I’m not going to bench press what I did in my mid-twenties either.

You’ll get him around QB12, but he’ll finish around QB5.

4300 yds, 24 TDs

RB

Reggie Bush

Do you remember how good Reggie Bush is? I mean, really how good? Everyone is already forgetting. There were a convergence of factors in New Orleans and then in Miami for part of last year that made everyone forget. Hawks have good memories. We haven’t forgotten.

Since he hasn’t been featured on Hard Knocks yet, you can still get him cheap. But once he is, everyone will remember and he’ll be shooting up draft boards. In the meantime, just remember that Ryan Tannehill is the real deal, and a better QB -- even as a rookie -- than the Fish have had in a long, long time. He’s going to lob missiles all over the football field this year and keep defenses honest, and Bush is going to have his best year ever as a pro.

Draft Bush in the 6th round. Send me a fruit cake and Christmas card in December, and watch him finish a top 5-10 RB, and then throw on some USC highlight reels and nod at your television as you pat yourself on the back for remembering that this guy is really, really good at football.

1308 rushing, 322 receiving, 13TDs

LeGarrette Blount

“But Otis, all the sharks said Doug Martin is going to be zzzzzomg so good! And Blount just got hurt, and I know it because all the MDs in the game thread said it looked like an MCL sprain!!”

Look, I didn’t stomp into your living room and tell you what to do with your magic football team this year. You waited anxiously by your computer all offseason after finishing last in the league last year and now saw this thread and got yourself all into a shark frenzy to find out what we have to offer this year. What do we have to offer? A man among boys. Blount is going to very quietly steamroll through the NFL this year, except it won’t really be that quiet, and 4 weeks into the season people will be all abuzz saying “holy crap what the hell was THAT.” THAT was LeGarrette Blount, charging through your living room, and earning you the admiration of your other nerdy sports friends because you just dropped a messload of fantasy points all over their faces. Or not. Your call.

If you want to do this in shark fashion, go ahead and draft Peterson in the 2nd round and then pretend you’re a genius when he runs for 150 yards and 2 TDs. But if you want to do this hawk-style, you take Blount in the 6th round of your draft and watch him do the same, except when he’s doing it he’ll look like a locomotive smashing through Legotown, and the guy who drafted Martin and laughed at you during the draft will be conspicuously offline and unavailable Sunday night.

1150 rushing, 180 receiving, 7 TDs

WR

Brandon Marshall

What were you doing in 2008? Think back to that time, sitting in your parents’ basement, furiously tearing through the new issue of Fantasy Insider scrapping for stats to support your argument with gloam26 over at The Huddle. In 2008, Brandon Marshall was catching 104 passes in 15 games. He and Jay Cutler ran through fields of poppies in slow motion and embraced. It was magical. That’s what we’re offering here. More magic.

Most folks in the water have Marshall pegged outside the top 10. It’s not the most incredible value pick in the world, but he’ll finish top 5, and you’ll get nice bang for your buck, as we walk in fields of gold.

Top 5WR finish

Greg Little

Here’s what we said about him last year:

We're not usually keen on rookie WRs, but Greg Little has us licking our chops. I don't care how good or bad you think Colt McCoy is, his name is Colt, and he's still probably a lot better than you think he is. Little steps into a situation where he'll take the WR1 slot right off the bat, and he'll do what Anquan Boldin did some years ago when there were just a bunch of nobodies at QB and WR in Arizona and all of the sudden this guy catches 217 yards in his first game and the fantasy nerds are all going bananas and the fellas over at The Huddle are beside themselves trying to determine his fair value. Luckily we have the clear views from up here in the sky, and we're cruising, and we're looking down, and we're seeing things before they're even happening, and we're all thinking "man, I'd sure like to take that guy since he's the closest thing we've seen to Anquan Boldin since Anquan Boldin." And so that's what we do. So when it's getting late in the draft and the sharks in the room are all laughing because you haven't filled up your WR slots yet, and then you take Greg Little, and they think they're clever when they crack "too little, too late," you can just kick back and smile, and in your head you'll already be writing out the eat crow e-mail to the league. Suck it, swimmers!
Look, when you were a kid, you didn’t get pissed off if Santa brought you your fire truck a year early. Don’t be mad at us either. Just enjoy the damn truck.Off the board around WR35-40; top 20WR finish

TE

Jacob Tamme

Do you guys remember Peyton Manning? He used to play quarterback for the Colts. He was the best quarterback in football actually. There’s a little known secret here, but I’ll mention it in passing: pssst, he still is.

And it turns out he likes throwing the ball to the tight ends sometimes. And it ends up being pretty effective.

Tamme is what’s wrong with fantasy projections today, and it’s a perfect example of why we Hawks consistently swoop down and find food. We haven’t seen an easier lock at top 5 TE who is regularly drafted outside the top 10. It’s silly really.

Top5 TE finish

K

Throw a dart at your silly magazine

Last year we gave you a kicker recommendation, even though we tell you ever year it doesn’t matter what kicker you draft. Just pick your kicker last, and do it in a way that at least makes it interesting, because by that point all the excitement of your draft is winding down and all the sharks have stopped feeding and are sort of dozing off and things are just really dull. So do something interesting. Break out a kicker jersey, or take off one shoe and punt your pal’s dog out into the yard, or bring in the semi-attractive barmaid from the local pub and have her announce the pick for you. Whatever you do, please god try and inject a little life into a lifeless room.

BONUS PICKS

[*]QB - Peyton Manning - Top5 QB [He's still way better than you think]

[*]RB - Kendall Hunter - Top20 RB [Gore is in twilight mode; Hunter starts to take over midseason and shines]

[*]RB - Alex Green - Top20 RB [He's healthy, and the other options are unimpressive]

[*]WR - Mike Williams (TB) - Top15 WR [Resurgence as VJax takes more attention than he deserves]

[*]WR - Leonard Hankerson - Top20 WR [How's he really going off the board around WR60?]

That's a wrap for this year. Fly high and feed well, my friends.

-Coach

Last edited by a moderator:
QB5 last year: 5k, 40+

QB5 this year: 4300/24? :confused:

This is what Bostonfred was talking about. So rarely does anyone put anything of substance up, and the few who try are clueless like this. This forum really is a stinking heap of turds.

I can never tell if this is for real or a joke.

Cutler will be solid but I just don't see him setting the world on fire. I agree on Marshall he will be a PPR beast but the rest, Meh....

This is what Bostonfred was talking about. So rarely does anyone put anything of substance up, and the few who try are clueless like this. This forum really is a stinking heap of turds.
This sounds like gillthink to me.

QB5 last year: 5k, 40+QB5 this year: 4300/24? :confused:This is what Bostonfred was talking about. So rarely does anyone put anything of substance up, and the few who try are clueless like this. This forum really is a stinking heap of turds.
:lmao: damn....was that a zinger?anyway, I was just going to point out to the stinking heap of turds that b-marsh is very possibly 2nd round.

Been waiting for this. NOW I can draft.

A few things:

I like Cutler as a value play this year two, but where did you get the idea that 4300 yards and 24 TDs would be top 5? Assuming ZERO interceptions, that would have made him Tied for 10th last year with Alex Smith. Two years ago that would have been around 9th and 10th around Cutler himself and Freeman, behind Joe Flacco.

For Reggie Bush, I like him too. But now way he has MORE rushing yards than last year with Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller in the picture. But could easily have more than 300 receiving yards.

I'm surprised you stuck with Blount after the knee injury. No word yet on the severity, but it at least looked like a 1-2 week sprain. Martin will seize this role.

I love Marshall, especially in PPR.

Greg Little has had a horrific camp and I've cooled on him as compared to earlier in the summer.

For Jacob Tamme, I agree there's some value there, especially in PPR leagues. But the Broncos are still coached by Jon Fox, this isn't the Colts, and Manning isn't the best QB in the league anymore. Remember Brent Celek a few years back, when he was a lock to be top 5 with Kolb because of how good he was before in a few games with Kolb? How did that work out? Just saying, there's risk factored into his ADP outside the top 5 TEs: the risk that manning isn't as good as he was, that the Broncos run more, and that TE2 Joel Dressen eats some targets.

But thanks for taking the time to write it up, always interesting to hear other opinions even if I don't agree!

:football:

A few things:

I like Cutler as a value play this year two, but where did you get the idea that 4300 yards and 24 TDs would be top 5? Assuming ZERO interceptions, that would have made him Tied for 10th last year with Alex Smith. Two years ago that would have been around 9th and 10th around Cutler himself and Freeman, behind Joe Flacco.

For Reggie Bush, I like him too. But now way he has MORE rushing yards than last year with Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller in the picture. But could easily have more than 300 receiving yards.

I'm surprised you stuck with Blount after the knee injury. No word yet on the severity, but it at least looked like a 1-2 week sprain. Martin will seize this role.

I love Marshall, especially in PPR.

Greg Little has had a horrific camp and I've cooled on him as compared to earlier in the summer.

For Jacob Tamme, I agree there's some value there, especially in PPR leagues. But the Broncos are still coached by Jon Fox, this isn't the Colts, and Manning isn't the best QB in the league anymore. Remember Brent Celek a few years back, when he was a lock to be top 5 with Kolb because of how good he was before in a few games with Kolb? How did that work out? Just saying, there's risk factored into his ADP outside the top 5 TEs: the risk that manning isn't as good as he was, that the Broncos run more, and that TE2 Joel Dressen eats some targets.

But thanks for taking the time to write it up, always interesting to hear other opinions even if I don't agree!

:football:
FYI

Blount injured his groin not his knee

Bucs running back LeGarrette Blount left the game in the second quarter with what turned out to be a groin injury, he said in the locker room afterward.

Blount said “I just took a hit on the side. It just tweaked my groin a little bit. It’s not a serious injury. I’ll be back soon. I’ll be good.”

However, Blount, when asked whether he could play in the team’s next game, said he couldn’t say. Blount was walking with a pronounced limp after the game.

“I’ve had nicks and bruises and that’s kind of what it is,” Blount said. “I mean, it hurt. It’s just something we’re going to have to look into (Saturday).”

LINK

Not bad, 5.5/10. But Cutler to Marshall isnt real original. Ballsy stat line on Reggie Bush though.

Not sure I can even be in here, being that its hawks only.

I like Cutler to Marshall, along with a lot of people. I doubt Marshall will fly under too many radars. Cutler could be nice value though. The question is how bad is the Bears O-line? Will Cutler get killed back there?

Bush isnt flying under too many radars. His ADP on MFL is 5.02. I'd say it's about 50/50 for him to repeat last year or get dinged up and disappoint. I dont trust him to repeat.

Kendall Hunter could be interesting if he gets his opps.

I'm not sure how far Peyton will fall in drafts toward the end of pre-season. His ADP is 6.10 on MFL right now. Very nice. I have a feeling his ADP will creep up there. Obvisously, Peyton and Tamme have history, and this could bode well for Tamme. I like Decker quite a bit with Peyton behind center.

Look forward to this each year! My draft is set and i can comfortably cancel my FBGs subscription!!!

Love me some Otis.

QB5 last year: 5k, 40+QB5 this year: 4300/24? :confused:This is what Bostonfred was talking about. So rarely does anyone put anything of substance up, and the few who try are clueless like this. This forum really is a stinking heap of turds.
:lmao:

Don't take the bait, RN. You're better than this. While this might not be so obvious down in the deep murky blue, but it turns out there was football before 2011. If you average out QB5 over the last 5 years, you end up with ~4100 and 25.6TD; depending on scoring system both of those numbers may deviate. Also, if you consider climate conditions and the harsh winter we'll be expecting, the fellas up in The Nest are predicting down QB numbers this year. And there you have it.

NEXT QUESTION

Don't take the bait, RN. You're better than this. While this might not be so obvious down in the deep murky blue, but it turns out there was football before 2011. If you average out QB5 over the last 5 years, you end up with ~4100 and 25.6TD; depending on scoring system both of those numbers may deviate. Also, if you consider climate conditions and the harsh winter we'll be expecting, the fellas up in The Nest are predicting down QB numbers this year. And there you have it.

NEXT QUESTION
I missed the memo where the Bears got a roof or a heating lamp to keep the weather balmy in Decemember in the Windy City. So it only snows in other cities and not when the Bears play?

NEXT QUESTION
I missed the memo where the Bears got a roof or a heating lamp to keep the weather balmy in Decemember in the Windy City. So it only snows in other cities and not when the Bears play?
Oh, hey David. Any interest in joining my fantasy weather league?

Based on last year's all valuer team this info should only serve as a list of players to avoid.

Thank you!
Yikes!
I guess this needs to be spelled out. True HAWKS drafted those players, then immediately flipped them for superior players before the season began. People drafting with known HAWKS will do anything to acquire any player that the HAWK just selected.You see, they know HAWKS have access to "it"...
It's like these fishies just want me to mail them our special sauce. :rolleyes:

NEXT QUESTION
I only play with meteorologists. Those guys really know how to party.

NEXT QUESTION
I only play with meteorologists. Those guys really know how to party.
That's because of their "SUNNY" disposition

i'll get back on the picks...

but this highly anticipated yearly feature is begging for a big bottom penned heavy metal hawk screech theme song, with value play lyrics* (maybe he can get bruce dickinson to guest on vocals?)...

* greg little is so big and fast,

don't draft him and you won't last... etc...

NEXT QUESTION

Wow...whole I appreciate the time the OP took to write this post and it was entertaining, looking back at his track record from 2011 and 2010 doesn't really inspire much confidence...train wrecks actually lol.

If regge bush posts those stats this year that call alone should redeem you though. Don't hold your breath though. The dolphins are going to be horrid this year and playing from behind a whole lot. Bush won't get enough carries bc of that and the presence of thomas and miller. They will want to keep bush fresh.

I like bmarsh but given where he is being drafted I'd rather have some other guys like AJ green over him.

I think cutler will haw a nice war but of you are banking on him as your QB1 you will not be happy. New offense. Needs time to acclimate.

Jacob tamme might be good but I'd rather snag Hernandez in the 5th rd and watch him compete for the Top 2012 TE with gronk and graham.

Mike Williams

No, I'm not even going to bother to specify which one I'm talking about, because if you followed my instructions at the beginning of this thread, only hawks are reading this, and you already know. Let the sharks waste their time with a rookie WR who'll have Josh Freeman hucking knuckleballs at him all season.

-Otis 2010

This...is great stuff my friends LOL

When you're on the clock for your first round pick write it down and then light it on fire. Then scream at the top of your lungs, "first round picks are for gupps." :hawkscreech:

Users who are viewing this thread