What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Every-Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

'Jene Bramel said:
I think FootballOutsiders is trying to cull the snap counts out of the Gamebooks each week into one place, too.
Whoa. Just noticed this. Awesome improvement to the Gamebooks.Although the WAS/NOS Gamebook is missing the stats on the last page. :(

How is Kevin Burnett and Karlos Dansby the only 3 down backers? Mis Toa had 10 solo tackles last week. Did he get all those tackles on 1st and 2nd down?

Thanks, Jene. Invaluable as always. Does Mason Foster rotating out (even though it's for a small number of subpackage plays) drop him below Lavonte David in TB?

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea who will take 3rd down snaps in Cincy since T. Howard is out for the season?
Posted some thoughts in earlier threads, but as of now it looks like Burfict could be closer to mix than expected. Skuta or Vincent Rey also possible.
ESPN just reported that Burfict will be starting in place of Howard.
Yes, which is why I think he's closer to getting a chance to get into nickel packages -- maybe even this week.

First post updated. No major news or notes this week.

**Michael Boley back in expected every down role. Will see if return of Keith Rivers changes things.

**Paris Lenon was a surprise every down player against New England.

**Wes Woodyard is still on this list, but will have to come off next week if rotation remains as extensive as it was last week.

Few other minor changes (AJ Hawk off the list, no every-down OLB in Cincinnati, etc.) but nothing of significance.

First post updated. No major changes this week. I've deleted Wes Woodyard, but I suspect he'll see every-down duty this week with Joe Mays suspended.

First post updated. No major changes this week. I've deleted Wes Woodyard, but I suspect he'll see every-down duty this week with Joe Mays suspended.
Thanks Jene!Any chance of holding the changes as you make them? It really helps figure out what has changed.

First post updated.

Three important notes:

***Vontaze Burfict is now an every-down linebacker.

***Will Witherspoon rotated with Zac Diles last week.

***Leslie Frazier suggested that Erin Henderson may be eased back in and not take nickel snaps in his return.

Hey Jene, any thoughts on Vincent Rey, has he been playing more snaps than Burfict? Or mostly on just 3rd downs? Thank you
rey seems to be cooked - burfict is the man pending their film evaluation of the game.
Surprised Burfict got the EDL job already, but I'll be even more surprised if he loses it now. He's already jumping off the screen as the most productive LB on the field and the coaches really talk him up. Plus, the lack of options as we have beaten to death.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am putting in a bid this week for Burfict. With bye weeks coming up, he might be a nice fit. Good week last week vs Jax. Miami could show many of the same chances for this week.

If he grows up, could be a solid LB in the NFL.

I am putting in a bid this week for Burfict. With bye weeks coming up, he might be a nice fit. Good week last week vs Jax. Miami could show many of the same chances for this week.If he grows up, could be a solid LB in the NFL.
till available, wow... get him. I have him and Mag and I'm thinking of playing Burfict over him

I am putting in a bid this week for Burfict. With bye weeks coming up, he might be a nice fit. Good week last week vs Jax. Miami could show many of the same chances for this week.If he grows up, could be a solid LB in the NFL.
till available, wow... get him. I have him and Mag and I'm thinking of playing Burfict over him
Would you go Woodley or Burfict? I have a feeling with Polamalu and Harrison back Woodley could be gold again. Both on wire

Depends on scoring system.

A lot of Woodley's scoring is predicated on big plays. He can have a lot of marginal(or worse) weeks in tackle heavy leagues if he's not getting to the QB.

First post updated.

**Cleveland used L.J. Fort at MLB (base and nickel) after D'Qwell Jackson's injury.

**Houston replaced Brian Cushing with Tim Dobbins last night, with Bradie James staying on in subpackages.

**Tennessee used a few dime subpackage snaps last week with Akeem Ayers coming off.

**Carolina used Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis almost exclusively in the nickel last week. Hard to say what happens next week.

**Minnesota has reportedly decided to use Jasper Brinkley full time and Erin Henderson in the base only.

**Seattle had Bobby Wagner in the nickel last week for Leroy Hill (who was not on the injury report).

First post updated.**Houston replaced Brian Cushing with Tim Dobbins last night, with Bradie James staying on in subpackages.
I'm confused. You have Brooks Reed as every down on the first page yet you say in this post that Bradie James is staying in on passing plays. I want to pick up James if he will play on passing plays.

First post updated.**Houston replaced Brian Cushing with Tim Dobbins last night, with Bradie James staying on in subpackages.
I'm confused. You have Brooks Reed as every down on the first page yet you say in this post that Bradie James is staying in on passing plays. I want to pick up James if he will play on passing plays.
My apologies. I forgot to add James when editing the post.

You might want to substitute Burris for McClain. McClain was on the bench for every nickel package yesterday. Not some of them, ALL OF THEM.

The radio said yesterday that Marvin Lewis called Vontaze Burfict "the best player on the team". Regardless of the silliness ranking him above AJ, I think it tells you he won't be coming off the field anytime soon.

First post updated. Lots of changes this week, but the lack of clarity rivals the lead-up to Week 1.

**Dannell Ellerbe will replace Ray Lewis and is the most likely every-down linebacker. The Ravens used both Ellerbe and Jameel McClain in subpackages after Lewis left, however. There's a chance McClain could sit for Brendon Ayanbedejo, however, so temper your waiver wire love on him a bit.

**The Broncos rotated Keith Brooking and Danny Trevathan last night, but left Wes Woodyard on the field every down. With Joe Mays not playing a base snap, that looks likely to continue.

**The Texans are still a tough read after trying all sorts of combinations against the Green Bay spread. I still think Bradie james ultimately sees close to every-down snaps inside, but Brooks Reed was there in some subs last week.

**Miles Burris replaced Rolando McClain in subpackages last week. We'll see if that continues.

**Jason Worilds played every down. The Steelers aren't taking any of their starting linebackers off the field at this point.

**Still waiting to see / hear what the Panthers have planned coming out of the bye. They've reportedly been rotating Beason and Kuechly at both MLB and WLB. I have yet to see any news on the subpackage plans.

**I expect to see AJ Hawk play every down in Green Bay for now. Rob Francois could work his way into a subpackage rotation, as could Brad Jones.

**No changes in Minnesota or Seattle -- Jasper Brinkley and Bobby Wagner remain every-down players.

Hey Jene,What's the source for the Ellerbe replacement? Everything I am reading has McClain replacing Lewis. Who is the guy to grab?

First post updated. Lots of changes this week, but the lack of clarity rivals the lead-up to Week 1.**Dannell Ellerbe will replace Ray Lewis and is the most likely every-down linebacker. The Ravens used both Ellerbe and Jameel McClain in subpackages after Lewis left, however. There's a chance McClain could sit for Brendon Ayanbedejo, however, so temper your waiver wire love on him a bit.**The Broncos rotated Keith Brooking and Danny Trevathan last night, but left Wes Woodyard on the field every down. With Joe Mays not playing a base snap, that looks likely to continue.**The Texans are still a tough read after trying all sorts of combinations against the Green Bay spread. I still think Bradie james ultimately sees close to every-down snaps inside, but Brooks Reed was there in some subs last week.**Miles Burris replaced Rolando McClain in subpackages last week. We'll see if that continues.**Jason Worilds played every down. The Steelers aren't taking any of their starting linebackers off the field at this point.**Still waiting to see / hear what the Panthers have planned coming out of the bye. They've reportedly been rotating Beason and Kuechly at both MLB and WLB. I have yet to see any news on the subpackage plans.**I expect to see AJ Hawk play every down in Green Bay for now. Rob Francois could work his way into a subpackage rotation, as could Brad Jones.**No changes in Minnesota or Seattle -- Jasper Brinkley and Bobby Wagner remain every-down players.

'hippyk said:
Hey Jene,What's the source for the Ellerbe replacement? Everything I am reading has McClain replacing Lewis. Who is the guy to grab?
No source. It's my speculation and observation.Prior to Lewis' injury, McClain started alongside Lewis in the base defense. Ellerbe replaced McClain in the nickel. Now, I believe we'll see Ellerbe move into the base for Lewis. McClain *may* take Lewis' nickel snaps, but I'm not fully convinced of that yet.

You might want to substitute Burris for McClain. McClain was on the bench for every nickel package yesterday. Not some of them, ALL OF THEM.
pat kirwan's talkin' about this right now on sirius nfl.oakland's on the hook for some big dough on that guy.pat thinks maybe they should stick him at sam.

With regards to ILB Bruce Carter..........Football Outsiders and this link: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2012/10/17/3516972/grading-cowboys-ravens-performances-of-noteboth state that Bruce Carter played everydown against the Ravens. Was this just for this game or is this guy finally a permanent 3-down LB?Thanks for all inputs....
He has played the following defensive snap% per game, in order-54%,79%, 88%, 64%, 100%. So that was the first game he played close to all the snaps.

I am going to take a shot with Brad Jones. It will remind me to add Desmond Bishop at the end of the season in my keeper league. Right now he is FA.

Hey Jene,

What's the source for the Ellerbe replacement? Everything I am reading has McClain replacing Lewis. Who is the guy to grab?
No source. It's my speculation and observation.Prior to Lewis' injury, McClain started alongside Lewis in the base defense. Ellerbe replaced McClain in the nickel. Now, I believe we'll see Ellerbe move into the base for Lewis. McClain *may* take Lewis' nickel snaps, but I'm not fully convinced of that yet.
from pff, if this means anything.Once Ray Lewis exited the Cowboys game, both McClain and Ellerbe played every down in both the base and nickel defense.

** Ellerbe and McClain both played every down for Baltimore. Still wouldn't close the door on a McClain - Ayanbedejo platoon, but it looks unlikely now.

** Keeping Bradie James on the list for now. James only played about 70% of the snaps this week, but nearly all of his missed snaps came after the game was decided.

** The Colts played packages with four linebackers, but clearly looked to get both Freeman and Angerer on the field together, often in a nickel package. It's possible that Angerer and Freeman will be listed here soon.

** Demario Davis getting all the subpackage snaps, but hasn't yet cracked the base defensive lineup.

** Steelers are playing more dime with Polamalu out, with Foote leaving the field.

** Panthers starting to look a lot like the Lions. Kuechly played every down; Anderson and Davis rotated in and out of nickel packages.

** Two consecutive weeks of every-down duty for Bruce Carter. Suggestion was that it was related to secondary injuries, but appears to be more than that.

** Brad Jones played every down in Green Bay, AJ Hawk sat in what became almost exclusively a dime subpackage. We'll see how that looks with Woodson out.

** The Vikings played dime often against four wide sets last week, with Brinkley leaving the field.

** Lorenzo Alexander replaced London Fletcher in every-down role after Fletcher's injury.

Just offering up my props for this thread, a few others too but notably this one. In this game, snaps mean everything, and while others were taking more exciting names I sat back and scooped up guys like Ayers, Nicholas, Foote, and Wright on the cheap.

For now, I expect that Carter and Connor will both every-down linebackers.

Things I'm watching RE: Dallas ILB situation:

**Will Carter move to WILB and Connor play SILB in base?

**Will Cowboys move to dime packages again and sit Connor in nickel or continue 2 ILB subs they've used in past two weeks?

**How soon might Ernie Sims take nickel snaps from Connor if Cowboys?

Users who are viewing this thread