What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Every-Down Linebacker Thread (1 Viewer)

First post updated. Appreciate all the cross-checking you guys have been adding and suggesting. Big help if I've forgotten to edit something or missed it while watching.

** Pat Angerer and Kavell Conner continue to rotate in the base. Moise Fokou still seems most nickel snaps. Now some 3-3-5 with Freeman/Fokou/Justin Hickman.

** Brandon Spikes has begun playing in many subpackages -- again. We'll see how long he can stay healthy.

** Demario Davis played every down with Bart Scott out.

** Less dime from Pittsburgh, more snaps for Larry Foote last week.

** Zach Brown played over Akeem Ayers in the nickel. More dime than nickel in TEN, though. Ayers now seems to be situational DE in subs and out frequently.

** Stephen Nicholas returned to every-down role.

** Dallas played no 4-3 that I saw, used mostly dime with Dan Connor sitting. Orie Lemon replaced Connor after neck sprain, but was brutal.

** Brad Jones continues to be dime backer, with Hawk sitting.

** Jonathan Vilma started at WLB and played nearly every down. Wasn't very good but could stick if/when David Hawthorne gets healthy.

** Bobby Wagner missed a handful of nickel snaps early, but that didn't last long. Status quo midway through first quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
So. Fletcher on the road=Ryans=Wright>Nicholas=Burris>Foote=Vilma>Angerer>McClain>Levy.

That's where I am with my LB's behind Weatherspoon and Fletcher at home.

** Erik Walden played every down. That's likely to continue with Clay Matthews injured even when Nick Perry returns.

** Tim Dobbins played nearly every down last week, but I don't expect that to continue. Barrett Ruud played only three snaps and Darryl Sharpton is close to returning.

** Zach Brown played every down. Akeem Ayers stayed in his hybrid role and sat in many nickel situations.

** Status quo in Indianapolis and Carolina and Oakland.

** Mark Herzlich started and played every down. Doubtful that continues when Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Kenny Phillips get back to health.

** Ernie Sims started for Dallas but didn't play every down.

** Akeem Dent filled in subpackages with Sean Weatherspoon out.

** Jon Vilma went back to a limited rotational role with Jonathan Casillas getting back healthy.

** Erik Walden played every down. That's likely to continue with Clay Matthews injured even when Nick Perry returns.** Tim Dobbins played nearly every down last week, but I don't expect that to continue. Barrett Ruud played only three snaps and Darryl Sharpton is close to returning.** Zach Brown played every down. Akeem Ayers stayed in his hybrid role and sat in many nickel situations.** Status quo in Indianapolis and Carolina and Oakland.** Mark Herzlich started and played every down. Doubtful that continues when Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Kenny Phillips get back to health.** Ernie Sims started for Dallas but didn't play every down.** Akeem Dent filled in subpackages with Sean Weatherspoon out.** Jon Vilma went back to a limited rotational role with Jonathan Casillas getting back healthy.
Whats going on in Indy Jene?Freeman had a stinker of a game, is he still playing everydown?

Whats going on in Indy Jene?Freeman had a stinker of a game, is he still playing everydown?
Still playing every down. Angerer saw the biggest relative decrease in snaps; there were more nickel packages and more of that 3-3-5 wrinkle they've been using. Just a bad game. May have had something to do with the foot/ankle issue that limited him early last week.

** Erik Walden played every down. That's likely to continue with Clay Matthews injured even when Nick Perry returns.

** Tim Dobbins played nearly every down last week, but I don't expect that to continue. Barrett Ruud played only three snaps and Darryl Sharpton is close to returning.

** Zach Brown played every down. Akeem Ayers stayed in his hybrid role and sat in many nickel situations.

** Mark Herzlich started and played every down. Doubtful that continues when Keith Rivers, Jacquian Williams, Kenny Phillips get back to health.

** Jon Vilma went back to a limited rotational role with Jonathan Casillas getting back healthy.
what's the LB corps going to look like with Vilma and Hawthorne? DH hasn't played since week 3 and put up some pretty putrid numbers. Any chance the group with feature Vilma/Lofton/Hawthorne?Casillas, Herring and Shanle are situational/back-ups really.

I assume it's now just Walden now that Perry is gone for the rest of the year??

what's the LB corps going to look like with Vilma and Hawthorne? DH hasn't played since week 3 and put up some pretty putrid numbers. Any chance the group with feature Vilma/Lofton/Hawthorne?Casillas, Herring and Shanle are situational/back-ups really.
Agreed on the situational group. Could very well see both Hawthorne and Vilma start outside. Seems like they like Casillas in that nickel OLB role, though.

** Between the Ravens' no-huddle offense and the score, I didn't see a nickel package from Oakland last week. But Aaron Curry was rotating in for Miles Burris on every third series.

** I believe (and Cecil Lammey does, too) that the Broncos will use DJ Williams as a MLB. Still uncertain exactly how the rotation plays out in long term, but there's a chance Williams and Wesley Woodyard are both every-down players. The earliest that happens is Week 12, though, and it may not happen until Week 13 or 14.

** Chase Blackburn was back in his pre-injury role in a near every-down capacity. I think his snaps drop a bit when Jacquian Williams (and Keith Rivers) return, but he'll still be around 75-80%.

** Erin Henderson is *finally* seeing nickel snaps again. However, don't get too excited by the fantasy blurbs and media reports noting that Henderson replaced Brinkley. It was a series-by-series rotation, with each splitting the series 50-50. Frazier's post-game comments seemed to suggest that they're looking to limit Brinkley, so the pendulum could swing heavily in Henderson's favor in coming weeks.

** David Hawthorne and Jonathan Vilma are both starting at OLB, but Jonathan Casillas is the nickel OLB.

** There was very little Dakoda Watson last week, but the Bucs used a dime package instead. Mason Foster is still a part-time player in subpackages only.

** Bradie James was the dime linebacker after Tim Dobbins was injured. That's the likeliest outcome if Dobbins can't play this week, but Darryl Sharpton and Barrett Ruud could see time, too.

Only a few situations of note this week:

** Thomas Davis played every down. James Anderson continues to see his role reduced.

** Bradie James played every down. Darryl Sharpton saw lots of subpackage snaps, though, and Tim Dobbins had been limited by the shoulder injury.

** Almost no Aaron Curry this week. Miles Burris played every down.

** Broncos used lots of different looks. Wes Woodyard still played every down. DJ Williams and Danny Trevathan rotated in subpackages by down and distance. Keith Brooking played MLB in the base.

'Jene Bramel said:
** Almost no Aaron Curry this week. Miles Burris played every down.
Going forward, Aaron Curry has now been released:Raiders released LB Aaron Curry.Curry missed most of the offseason, all of camp, and the first eight games with knee soreness. Activated from the PUP list, he played just 15 snaps versus the Ravens and three against the Saints last week. The No. 4 overall pick in the 2009 draft may have to prove that his knee is at full strength before landing another job.Source: Aaron Curry on Twitter Nov 20 - 2:41 PMhttp://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5091/aaron-curry

Only a few situations of note this week:** Bradie James played every down. Darryl Sharpton saw lots of subpackage snaps, though, and Tim Dobbins had been limited by the shoulder injury.
so James is a good play now, been using Barwin myself and hoping for big plays but may switch out for James and hope for high tackle numbers

**The Texans played dime against the Lions. Bradie James and Darryl Sharpton rotated nickel snaps. Whitney Mercilus played nearly every down after Brooks Reed was injured.

**No change in Denver. Danny Trevathan and DJ Williams continued to rotate in passing situations, Keith Brooking and Wes Woodyard stayed in their previous roles.

**Donald Butler's injury caused a shuffle in the San Diego depth chart. Takeo Spikes stayed on the field in all packages, Demorrio Williams moved into the base defense and Andrew Gachkar took Williams' place in the nickel.

**The Cowboys primarily used a 2-4-5 package on passing downs after Bruce Carter's injury, with both Dan Connor and Ernie Sims on the field. When they played dime, Sims was the only ILB on the field. I'm not certain we'll see that after Rob Ryan takes 10 days to re-evaluate.

**The Packers rotated Erik Walden with Frank Zombo. Dezman Moses played every down.

**Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley rotated again in the first half. Henderson became an every-down player after Brinkley's shoulder sprain.

I watched for Sharpton all game in the Lions game and he didnt play in a lot of sub packages, but he was certainly in there. I wonder if that changes going forward.

It is being hinted by Broncos beat writers that even though D.J. Williams will likely start he may not completely take over Wesley Woodyard's every down role on Thursday night.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/12/05/dj-williams-danny-trevathan-replace-wesley-woodyard/17345/

Another Fox quote from the Denver Post...

"Getting D.J. back is very beneficial. He's played some. Danny Trevathan has come along. He's a rookie who has played well in a lot of playing time," Fox said after Wednesday's practice, before the team departed for the airport. "We feel comfortable in whatever way it works out."

Not exactly reassuring words if you're looking for one-for-one Woodyard production.

I think an update on this would be much appreciated for those of us in the playoffs.Especially if Nick Roach is playing in the nickel. Thank you again!

**The Texans played dime against the Lions. Bradie James and Darryl Sharpton rotated nickel snaps. Whitney Mercilus played nearly every down after Brooks Reed was injured.**No change in Denver. Danny Trevathan and DJ Williams continued to rotate in passing situations, Keith Brooking and Wes Woodyard stayed in their previous roles.**Donald Butler's injury caused a shuffle in the San Diego depth chart. Takeo Spikes stayed on the field in all packages, Demorrio Williams moved into the base defense and Andrew Gachkar took Williams' place in the nickel.**The Cowboys primarily used a 2-4-5 package on passing downs after Bruce Carter's injury, with both Dan Connor and Ernie Sims on the field. When they played dime, Sims was the only ILB on the field. I'm not certain we'll see that after Rob Ryan takes 10 days to re-evaluate.**The Packers rotated Erik Walden with Frank Zombo. Dezman Moses played every down.**Erin Henderson and Jasper Brinkley rotated again in the first half. Henderson became an every-down player after Brinkley's shoulder sprain.

:wall: Apologies on not updating this thread last week. Not sure what distracted me...

**Expect Ray Lewis back this week, and with Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain both dinged, I expect Lewis goes back to his every-down role immediately.

**DJ Williams and Danny Trevathan rotated with Wes Woodyard out last week and likely will again if Woodyard isn't able to return.

**Four man ILB rotation in Houston last week. No clear platoon and it's unlikely anyone emerges without multiple injuries.

**Dont'a Hightower played every down over Brandon Spikes against Houston. No guarantee that continues, but Hightower brings a pass rush presence Spikes cannot.

**Demorrio Williams played less than half the snaps last week after near full time duty in Week 13.

**Nick Roach played every down for Brian Urlacher and should continue to do so.

**With Jacquian Williams back healthy, Chase Blackburn falls off this list.

**Takeo Spikes played nearly every down with Demorrio Williams out with injury. Gary Guyton started for Williams, but Bront Bird and Andrew Gachkar both rotated in heavily.

**Wes Woodyard was healthy enough to play every down.

**Josh Bynes played every down, with Brendon Ayanbedejo rotating out in some packages. The return of Dannell Ellerbe and Ray Lewis looms however.

**Clay Matthews reportedly was to play a situational role only, but missed just a handful of snaps.

**Pat Angerer took all the base defensive snaps with Kavell Conner out, but didn't play in subpackages.

**Tim Dobbins took the bulk of the ILB snaps. Barrett Ruud was active, but didn't play a defensive down.

**The Giants played six linebackers in a variety of packages. Michael Boley did not play every down, Chase Blackburn got the bulk of the snaps, though that may have been game situation related.

**Alex Albright played very close to every down after Ernie Sims left with an injury.

**Dont'a Hightower again played nearly every down.

**Takeo Spikes played nearly every down with Demorrio Williams out with injury. Gary Guyton started for Williams, but Bront Bird and Andrew Gachkar both rotated in heavily.

**Josh Bynes played every down, with Brendon Ayanbedejo rotating out in some packages. The return of Dannell Ellerbe and Ray Lewis looms however.

**Clay Matthews reportedly was to play a situational role only, but missed just a handful of snaps.**Pat Angerer took all the base defensive snaps with Kavell Conner out, but didn't play in subpackages.

**Tim Dobbins took the bulk of the ILB snaps. Barrett Ruud was active, but didn't play a defensive down.

**The Giants played six linebackers in a variety of packages. Michael Boley did not play every down, Chase Blackburn got the bulk of the snaps, though that may have been game situation related.

**Alex Albright played very close to every down after Ernie Sims left with an injury.

Jene, could you please elaborate a little more on the GB LB situation? I see Brad Jones and Matthews are listed as every-down in the update. Yet it seems A.J. Hawk still put up 4/1 last week. Were those stats at the expense of Matthews or Brad Jones from what you saw (or were there times when all three were in the game)?

'PhantomJB said:
'Jene Bramel said:

**Clay Matthews reportedly was to play a situational role only, but missed just a handful of snaps.**Pat Angerer took all the base defensive snaps with Kavell Conner out, but didn't play in subpackages.

Jene, could you please elaborate a little more on the GB LB situation? I see Brad Jones and Matthews are listed as every-down in the update. Yet it seems A.J. Hawk still put up 4/1 last week. Were those stats at the expense of Matthews or Brad Jones from what you saw (or were there times when all three were in the game)?
Hawk is the base strong inside linebacker and leaves the field in subpackage situations. Brad Jones is the base weak inside linebacker and plays in every subpackage. Clay Matthews has returned to his every down OLB role, with Erik Walden and Dezman Moses splitting time at the other OLB spot. Hawk will do better in close games and against offenses likely to run the ball often. Chicago was relatively balanced last week and Hawk played over 40 snaps.

'PhantomJB said:
Hawk is the base strong inside linebacker and leaves the field in subpackage situations. Brad Jones is the base weak inside linebacker and plays in every subpackage. Clay Matthews has returned to his every down OLB role, with Erik Walden and Dezman Moses splitting time at the other OLB spot. Hawk will do better in close games and against offenses likely to run the ball often. Chicago was relatively balanced last week and Hawk played over 40 snaps.
Perfect. Thanks. I forgot Matthews was OLB.

I was looking for advice on Rob Jackson (Wash) OLB.

ESPN has him listed as a DL (3-4 D), and he has had a few sacks lately. FBG doesn't have him ranked on any lists. I have not seen much of Wash team and am uninformed on him. Any insight on the amount of downs and such would be great (certainly since he has had a few sacks lately).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking for advice on Rob Jackson (Wash) OLB. ESPN has him listed as a DL (3-4 D), and he has had a few sacks lately. FBG doesn't have him ranked on any lists. I have not seen much of Wash team and am uninformed on him. Any insight on the amount of downs and such would be great (certainly since he has had a few sacks lately).
I probably should have him listed with an asterisk. With Keenan Robinson out for the year and Lorenzo Alexander getting a fair amount of snaps inside to spell London Fletcher when he's been injured, Jackson is probably seeing about 80-85% of the team's defensive snaps. He hasn't been particularly consistent, but he's converted nearly every successful pass rush into a sack. That's either a really lucky run that's about to bust or a sign that he's a closer in the pocket. I'd bet on the former in a vacuum, but his matchup this week is again a very favorable one.

'Jene Bramel said:
'Chemical Smoo said:
I was looking for advice on Rob Jackson (Wash) OLB. ESPN has him listed as a DL (3-4 D), and he has had a few sacks lately. FBG doesn't have him ranked on any lists. I have not seen much of Wash team and am uninformed on him. Any insight on the amount of downs and such would be great (certainly since he has had a few sacks lately).
I probably should have him listed with an asterisk. With Keenan Robinson out for the year and Lorenzo Alexander getting a fair amount of snaps inside to spell London Fletcher when he's been injured, Jackson is probably seeing about 80-85% of the team's defensive snaps. He hasn't been particularly consistent, but he's converted nearly every successful pass rush into a sack. That's either a really lucky run that's about to bust or a sign that he's a closer in the pocket. I'd bet on the former in a vacuum, but his matchup this week is again a very favorable one.
From weeks 2 (when Orakpo went out) through 12, Jackson's PT had hovered around 50% of the defensive snaps. The past 3 weeks his playtime percentages have been 77, 87 and 79. In those 3 weeks he's had a sack in each game (4 in the past 5), 2 FFs and an INT (he has 3 on the season).I think he's being used more effectively/efficiently due to some improvement on Jackson's part (leading to coaches becoming more comfortable with him in the game) as well as adjustments in game planning/play calling since the bye week by Haslett. If someone needs a "big play" guy (as opposed to a tackle machine) in their fantasy lineup in a pinch, I think Jackson can answer the call. I don't see his usage/playtime changing much for the rest of the season, unless teams start giving him extra attention. But with Kerrigan on the other side, I'm not sure we'll see that happen.

From weeks 2 (when Orakpo went out) through 12, Jackson's PT had hovered around 50% of the defensive snaps. The past 3 weeks his playtime percentages have been 77, 87 and 79. In those 3 weeks he's had a sack in each game (4 in the past 5), 2 FFs and an INT (he has 3 on the season).I think he's being used more effectively/efficiently due to some improvement on Jackson's part (leading to coaches becoming more comfortable with him in the game) as well as adjustments in game planning/play calling since the bye week by Haslett. If someone needs a "big play" guy (as opposed to a tackle machine) in their fantasy lineup in a pinch, I think Jackson can answer the call. I don't see his usage/playtime changing much for the rest of the season, unless teams start giving him extra attention. But with Kerrigan on the other side, I'm not sure we'll see that happen.
Thanks for the info guys!!!I am thinking of taking advantage of ESPN's labeling him a DE and use him on my DL over Michael Johnson (Cin). Sacks are HUGE in my league and I see some good opportunities this week against Philly for Jackson to get a sack.

Is Jo-Lonn Dunbar looking like a 3 down LBer for 2013? I ended up adding him on almost all my teams in 2012 due to people just not being very excited about him. He put up enough points where it's going to be tough to not keep him when rosters need to be cut in the offseason.

Is Woodyard stating LB for Denver next year, can he post similar numbers to this year? I havent seen or followed much of him or Broncs this year.

Is Woodyard stating LB for Denver next year, can he post similar numbers to this year? I havent seen or followed much of him or Broncs this year.
Worthwhile dart throw. They really like Trev, but is he a passing downs specialist only? DJ Williams may still be around. Have they thrown in the towel on Irving? Will Mays be back to his 2 down role?Woodyard can play every down, but he's not special enough to feel confident he will. Right now anyway. A lot of uncertainty.The only chip I have here is Trev, definitely going to hold steady until September in one dyno, not sure about the other though - I'd like to if I have room though. Really like the player and thought he was under valued coming out, but he really needs a shot at 3 downs next year sometime if he's going to stick.

With London Fletcher ready to call it a day, should we be stashing any LB on the SKins roster for next season?

Or does this look like a FA/draft situation?

With London Fletcher ready to call it a day, should we be stashing any LB on the SKins roster for next season?

Or does this look like a FA/draft situation?
:confused: Link saying he's "ready to call it a day"? I'm not seeing anything other than post-game comments in which he says:
'London Fletcher]I’ll take some time to let the emotions of the season kind of get away said:
If[/I] Fletcher retires, right now I think the most likely outcome is that they'll plug in either Lorenzo Alexander or Keenan Robinson (most likely Alexander, IMO). If I had to guess right now, though, I'd say Fletcher ends up playing another season. The team has a lot of promise next year. Today, all the UFAs were saying they want to return. Guys were talking about how special this group is and how much they want to be a part of it. DeAngelo Hall even said he'd be willing to restructure his contract (he has a big number in his final year; something like $8M) to make sure he gets to stick around. Fletcher isn't as good as he used to be, but he's still good and I think he may want to see just how far this group can go.

I will say, though, that if Haslett leaves (his name has been thrown around as a potential HC candidate for some of the vacancies) that potentially throws a big monkey wrench in the decision Fletcher makes. He may not want to have to "break in" a new DC this late in his career. :)

With London Fletcher ready to call it a day, should we be stashing any LB on the SKins roster for next season?Or does this look like a FA/draft situation?
If Fletcher does retire(and count me in the camp of folks who don't believe he will) then I think Riley benefits the most as he'll likely assume Fletcher's role in the defense. Alexander then takes over in Riley's former role.

With London Fletcher ready to call it a day, should we be stashing any LB on the SKins roster for next season?Or does this look like a FA/draft situation?
If Fletcher does retire(and count me in the camp of folks who don't believe he will) then I think Riley benefits the most as he'll likely assume Fletcher's role in the defense. Alexander then takes over in Riley's former role.
Alexander would probably get LB3 status in my opinion. TE insane amount if assist tackles in Redskins home games will give him value in an every down role.

with no lovie, the bears might move on from Urlacher
urlacher is breaking down. i would not be surprised to hear of his retirement, especially with a new coaching staff.
Im ugessing if they do mvoe on or he hangs 'em up, that the 2013 starting MLB is not on the roster at present?
i'm guessing that too, i did pick up Nick Roach incase but gwd help them if they go into the season with him as the MLB

Users who are viewing this thread