What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 DEEP Sleepers (1 Viewer)

LususV

Footballguy
Who are your deep sleepers this year? To frame my point of reference for 'deep', assume these guys will -not- be drafted except in rare circumstances in your typical redraft league (think QB30+, RB50+, WR75+, TE30+ types), but have potential, if the right situation arrives, to be starting-worthy guys (QB2 in 2 QB leagues, RB3/WR4/TE2 in flex leagues, or better)

For example, my list includes

QB: EJ Manuel

RB: a bunch: Ronnie Hillman, Jacquizz Rodgers, LaMichael James, Ryan Williams, Bilal Powell, Daniel Thomas, Christine Michael, Jonathan Dwyer, Latavius Murray and more

WR: Brian Quick (STL WR), Dexter McCluster (KC WR), Josh Boyce.

TE: Travis Kelce

Basically, my RB list includes a lot of the guys hyped from last offseason who busted and are now RB2 or worse on their own depth charts, and the other positions include rookies/2nd year WRs, and McCluster, who Reid might know how to use better than the previous administration.

Adrien Robinson (TE NYG)... Myers is on a 1 yr deal and perhaps Robinson steps up and makes a splash... Many considered him to be fairly raw coming out of Cincy last yr and Cincy's late graduation kept him out of the beginning of the offseason programs... He is somebody I can see getting increasingly more reps by about game 10 and if he does well he could be groomed for the starting role in 2014.

Lestar Jean... I know he will not be a popular pick and its possible that he doesn't even make the team but hear me out. Johnson is getting older but there is no doubt that he will ball out as long as he is healthy. Its not beyond the scope of possibility that Johnson gets dinged up and misses some time and the only WR on the roster right now with a similar build not named Hopkins is Lestar Jean. He has flashes of being someone that can put in the work to make himself into a good WR. The Texans offense is not a simple offense to learn by some accounts. Whomever steps in for Andre Johnson if he goes down with injury should hold at least some part time value...

I mean heck Andre Davis averaged 3.286 catches and 63 ypg for the seven games that he started for the injured AJ in 2007. He also scored 3 TDs in that span. (23 catches for 441 yds 3 TDs)

QB (later than #20 FBG consensus ranking)

Matt Schaub (#23) - #23 is wayyyy too low, IMO. Andre Johnson is one of the deadliest weapons in the NFL, he gained a potential stud in Hopkins and Daniels should be healthy.

Brandon Weeden (#27) - The Brownies are going to stink again (although some think their D is going to be a lot better) and Weeden showed some flashes last season. Gordon (once back from suspension) and Little (who folks are thinking will take a big step forward this year) will provide big plays.

---

RB (later than #40)

Ronnie Hillman (#41) - Up-and-down and injury-prone Knowshon Moreno and a rookie ahead of him. If he is able to pass-block, he could be a PPR steal in the DEN offense.

Johnathan Franklin (#51) - Yeah the Pack drafted Lacy and have a few holdovers, but Franklin is dynamic. With the way this offense moves the ball, he could be a nice flex play.

Kendall Hunter (#54) - The Niners are going to pound the ball a bit more this season methinks and something about that screams Gore injury. Sure, they have LaMichael James but he's a gadget guy. With Hunter even getting 60-75% of the snaps, he could be gold.

---

WR (later than #40)

DeAndre Hopkins (#47) - Dude's a freak and Andre Johnson has been battling the injury bug for a couple years. Even if AJ stays healthy, Hopkins could put up some solid stats in that offense.

Ryan Broyles (#53) - The #2 in the DET offense? This guy is going to see a TON of targets.

Alshon Jeffrey (#55) - Another offseason under the belt, new coaching staff, better TE to draw middle-of-field coverage and prototypical size/metrics should propel this guy into WR3 staus with potential for some big games even with Marshall catching a billion balls.

Last edited by a moderator:
nirad3 said:

Matt Schaub (#23)

Brandon Weeden (#27)

RB (later than #40)

Ronnie Hillman (#41)

Johnathan Franklin (#51)

Kendall Hunter (#54)

WR (later than #40)

DeAndre Hopkins (#47)

Ryan Broyles (#53)

Alshon Jeffrey (#55)
Hate to tell you this, but unless you are playing in 10-team leagues, absolutely NONE of these players are DEEP sleepers. Some (Schaub and Hopkins) aren't even sleepers at all.

I'll swing:

QB: Tyler Wilson. Raiders are going through some nasty growing pains right now and Flynn will start until the Raiders are out of the playoffs, which will happen about week 3 of the preseason. Seriously, I expect Wilson to take over after the week seven bye at the latest and put up some pretty good numbers on a team playing catch-up.

RB: Peyton Hillis, FA. I think there are a lot of iffy back-up RBs out there right now and we know that there will be injuries to a few of the starters. I suspect that HIllis hasn't signed anywhere because he wants a multi-year deal (no evidence, just supposition). Of the FA RBs left to sign, he's still young enough and has had some success. He'll be in the mix somewhere by midseason.

WR: Kris Durham, DET. Big target (6'6"), former teammate at UG of Stafford, decent run for the last three games. Broyles coming off a major injury, Burley another year older, high octane pass offense. Could produce by game 3-4.

nirad3 said:

Matt Schaub (#23)

Brandon Weeden (#27)

RB (later than #40)

Ronnie Hillman (#41)

Johnathan Franklin (#51)

Kendall Hunter (#54)

WR (later than #40)

DeAndre Hopkins (#47)

Ryan Broyles (#53)

Alshon Jeffrey (#55)
Hate to tell you this, but unless you are playing in 10-team leagues, absolutely NONE of these players are DEEP sleepers. Some (Schaub and Hopkins) aren't even sleepers at all.
Well crap, so much for reading comprehension. Should have read the OP a bit slower. :)

Will need to revise based on their constructs....

QB

Kinda hard to do this with 32 NFL teams and reach for a guy #30 or lower. I'll echo the OP and say Manuel (#30) could produce.

RB

We'll stick with Franklin at #51 and Hunter at #54 and add Zac Stacy at #52 as the guy I think could emerge in STL.

WR

Jarius Wright (#76) - Showed some flashes last season, no Percy anymore and Jennings can't catch everything.

Harry Douglas (#83) - White or Jones go down, Douglas is a good enough route runner to matter.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Lestar Jean... I know he will not be a popular pick and its possible that he doesn't even make the team but hear me out. Johnson is getting older but there is no doubt that he will ball out as long as he is healthy. Its not beyond the scope of possibility that Johnson gets dinged up and misses some time and the only WR on the roster right now with a similar build not named Hopkins is Lestar Jean. He has flashes of being someone that can put in the work to make himself into a good WR. The Texans offense is not a simple offense to learn by some accounts. Whomever steps in for Andre Johnson if he goes down with injury should hold at least some part time value...
Jean seems penciled in as the backup and eventual replacement for AJ, but if he were really viewed as a long term answer by the Texans I doubt they would have taken Hopkins. Yes if AJ is hurt this year Jean would seem most likely to step in, but who is to say they won't take another WR early in the draft next year? Plus DeVier Posey should be in the mix again once he recovers from his injury.

I owned Jean in 5 leagues but have dropped in all but one which is a 30 keeper. I think in smaller leagues 24/25 roster he will be waiver wire fodder or held by owners in complete rebuilding mode that have the luxury of holding him for a few years to see how this plays out.

nirad3 said:

Matt Schaub (#23) - #23 is wayyyy too low, IMO. Andre Johnson is one of the deadliest weapons in the NFL, he gained a potential stud in Hopkins and Daniels should be healthy.

Brandon Weeden (#27) - The Brownies are going to stink again (although some think their D is going to be a lot better) and Weeden showed some flashes last season. Gordon (once back from suspension) and Little (who folks are thinking will take a big step forward this year) will provide big plays.

---

RB (later than #40)

Ronnie Hillman (#41) - Up-and-down and injury-prone Knowshon Moreno and a rookie ahead of him. If he is able to pass-block, he could be a PPR steal in the DEN offense.

Johnathan Franklin (#51) - Yeah the Pack drafted Lacy and have a few holdovers, but Franklin is dynamic. With the way this offense moves the ball, he could be a nice flex play.

Kendall Hunter (#54) - The Niners are going to pound the ball a bit more this season methinks and something about that screams Gore injury. Sure, they have LaMichael James but he's a gadget guy. With Hunter even getting 60-75% of the snaps, he could be gold.

---

WR (later than #40)

DeAndre Hopkins (#47) - Dude's a freak and Andre Johnson has been battling the injury bug for a couple years. Even if AJ stays healthy, Hopkins could put up some solid stats in that offense.

Ryan Broyles (#53) - The #2 in the DET offense? This guy is going to see a TON of targets.

Alshon Jeffrey (#55) - Another offseason under the belt, new coaching staff, better TE to draw middle-of-field coverage and prototypical size/metrics should propel this guy into WR3 staus with potential for some big games even with Marshall catching a billion balls.
"Freak" is not an accurate description of Hopkins. I don't know ehh people keep saying this. I mean, unless you consider Sidney Rice and Tampa Mike "freaks". Those are the guys I liken him to, and neither is what I would consider freakish.

"Freak" is not an accurate description of Hopkins. I don't know ehh people keep saying this. I mean, unless you consider Sidney Rice and Tampa Mike "freaks". Those are the guys I liken him to, and neither is what I would consider freakish.
My understanding of Hopkins is that his appeal is that he's "pro ready" (or at least pro ready enough to be a strong #2).

Unfortunately if this is true then camp and the preason will erase the deepness of the sleeperness.

GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
Jean seems penciled in as the backup and eventual replacement for AJ, but if he were really viewed as a long term answer by the Texans I doubt they would have taken Hopkins. Yes if AJ is hurt this year Jean would seem most likely to step in, but who is to say they won't take another WR early in the draft next year? Plus DeVier Posey should be in the mix again once he recovers from his injury.

I owned Jean in 5 leagues but have dropped in all but one which is a 30 keeper. I think in smaller leagues 24/25 roster he will be waiver wire fodder or held by owners in complete rebuilding mode that have the luxury of holding him for a few years to see how this plays out.
Funny u mentioned a 30 keeper league... Jean is fringe waiver wire material in my 12 tm non ppr 29 roster spot dynasty league

QB: Shaun Hill - Fatty just signed a contract and can't stay healthy, is a jerk to boot. Rare backup that gets better with more PT.

RB: Stephan Taylor - Mendy dances too much, Williams is a gadget, Stanford's offense was just different w/ him on the field. Slow but productive.

WR: Jarius Wright - More like Harvin than people realize. Not the freakish athlete but dependable.

TE: Julius Thomas - Injuries have held him back but has the most natural talent in Denver

K: Your mom...should have been nixed from FF a decade ago

DL: Matt Shaunnessy - Like Kyle VandenBosch post Arizona. Change of scenery on a one-year deal.

LB: DJ Smith - Most instinctive LB in San Diego by a long shot.

DB: Earl Wolff - Chung is snakebitten by injuries and Wolf is more well-rounded anyways.

I will throw a guy out there we haven't seen in even training camp yet:

Khiry Robinson, Saints:

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/6/19/4440808/khiry-robinson-saints-undrafted-running-back

No. 29, just like Ivory.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/roster.html

And runs like him too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUPZNFmR8A

Not only that he is the dead on favorite to replace Ivory's role this year.

Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory both broke out in the preseason, flashing tremendous skills that had gone unadvertised. Let's see what happens come August.

I'm guessing you will see his name again come preseason or maybe later on in the year.

I will throw a guy out there we haven't seen in even training camp yet:

Khiry Robinson, Saints:

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/6/19/4440808/khiry-robinson-saints-undrafted-running-back

No. 29, just like Ivory.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/roster.html

And runs like him too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHUPZNFmR8A

Not only that he is the dead on favorite to replace Ivory's role this year.

Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory both broke out in the preseason, flashing tremendous skills that had gone unadvertised. Let's see what happens come August.

I'm guessing you will see his name again come preseason or maybe later on in the year.
I was pretty impressed by Travaris Cadet in preseason last season. Cadet also looked good on special teams. Do you think NO will be keeping 5 RBs again?

Aldrick Robinson flashed a little bit last season. He not getting much hype despite some very impressive combine numbers. He is definitely on my radar in dynasty.

Tyler Wilson and Broyles are the obvious ones, though I imagine Broyles' ADP will rise a fair bit over the next month. I think the two rookie TEs in Kelce and Eifert are being overlooked in redraft leagues and, while they might not be deep enough for this thread either, I could see both finishing in the top 10-15 TEs this season, especially Eifert.

Users who are viewing this thread