What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Pittsburgh Steelers Off & ON Season Thread *** (2 Viewers)

3C said:
Ok, this cements my feeling that LB or S would be better in the 1st than NT.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12/so-you-think-steve-mclendon-was-bad-against-the-run-in-2013/
I love arguments like "Seven of those runs went for 20 yards or more ... remove those runs and the defense allowed a much more respectable 3.51 yards per rush" :rolleyes:

Perhaps McLendon isn't as bad as he seems but he isn't anywhere close to where Hampton was in his prime. I am not saying we should take a NT in the first round because we have way too many needs on defense to reach at any position. It may sound cliche but they need to take the best defensive player available.

3C said:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12/so-you-think-steve-mclendon-was-bad-against-the-run-in-2013/
I love arguments like "Seven of those runs went for 20 yards or more ... remove those runs and the defense allowed a much more respectable 3.51 yards per rush" :rolleyes:

Perhaps McLendon isn't as bad as he seems but he isn't anywhere close to where Hampton was in his prime. I am not saying we should take a NT in the first round because we have way too many needs on defense to reach at any position. It may sound cliche but they need to take the best defensive player available.
I had the same thoughts reading the article.

The NFL game is ever-evolving. As teams continue to move away from the run and towards the pass I'm just not sure a true NT is as important as it once was. I do think the Steelers need to upgrade at NT, but upgrading at corner, safety, DE or even ILB might be more important.

3C said:

Yeah, this is a pretty bad article. It also misses the point of the NT in the 3-4. It is as much about keeping the MLB's clean as it is making tackles. McLendon was mediocre at best. I think a great NT is key to success in the 3-4. I would like to see Nix in black and gold.

3C said:

The NFL game is ever-evolving. As teams continue to move away from the run and towards the pass I'm just not sure a true NT is as important as it once was. I do think the Steelers need to upgrade at NT, but upgrading at corner, safety, DE or even ILB might be more important.
A dominant NT will free up blitzers and improve the pass rush as well.

Curveball~~~~~

Our punting is a god damn disgrace.

I'm all for burning a 6th rounder on the best punters in the draft (especially Kirby Van Der Kamp, who kicks both straight style and rugby style).
Cuz drafting punters has worked so well for them in the past? No thankee.
Oh I know good and well that investing into kickers/punters is not only NOT our M.O., but its by and large a bad idea.

I would be okay thinking a drafted punter could keep his ACLs intact.

However, with our own 6th round picks (not ones we traded for, compensatory or supplemental) since 2000...

6 186 Justin Brown Wide receiver

6 196 Keith Williams OG

6 188 Jonathan Dwyer RB

6 205 Ra'Shon Harris Defensive tackle

6 188 Mike Humpal LB

6 201 Marvin Philip C

6 204 Chris Kemoeatu G

6 177 Bo Lacy OT

6 202 Lee Mays WR

6 181 Rodney Bailey DE

6 173 Chris Combs Defensive end

Last edited by a moderator:
3C said:

Agree with this. Look what two DTs did for Carolina... a stud who eats up blockers and frees up everyone else in Star Lotulelei and then a pass rusher UT in Kawaan Short.

Nevermind then...

Steelers Sign P Brad Wing To Future Contract03 January 2014

On Friday as Brad Wing was signed.

Wing, who was originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of LSU by the Philadelphia Eagles in April. In his two years at LSU, Wing, a former Australian Rules football player, averaged 44.6 yards on 118 punts, a mark that ranks first in school history. 48 of his punts were downed inside the 20-yard line and 39 traveled 50 yards or more.

5-ish Finkle said:
BigSteelThrill said:
Curveball~~~~~

Our punting is a god damn disgrace.

I'm all for burning a 6th rounder on the best punters in the draft (especially Kirby Van Der Kamp, who kicks both straight style and rugby style).
Cuz drafting punters has worked so well for them in the past? No thankee.

IIRC, mid first has been very kind to the Steelers. Kendrell Bell, Troy Polamalu, Big Ben, jury is out on Jones but he looks like he'll at least contribute.
Kendrell Bell was a 2nd rounder not a mid-first.
Ok I think I got him and Hampton confused. Not sure, been too lazy to look it up.

In general I agree with that, but in passing situations the NT isn't usually on the field. As the NFL keeps trending towards the pass, the NT will be on the field less in favor of LB's and Safeties.

If there is a NT in the draft who's a good enough pass rusher to be on the field for obvious passing downs then that's the guy they should select in the first should he be available. That combination just doesn't happen very often and when it does, he gets selected in the top 10. Otherwise, I'm not comfortable taking a guy at 15 who's not going be a 3-down player.

Nevermind then...

Steelers Sign P Brad Wing To Future Contract03 January 2014

On Friday as Brad Wing was signed.

Wing, who was originally signed as an undrafted free agent out of LSU by the Philadelphia Eagles in April. In his two years at LSU, Wing, a former Australian Rules football player, averaged 44.6 yards on 118 punts, a mark that ranks first in school history. 48 of his punts were downed inside the 20-yard line and 39 traveled 50 yards or more.
Nice. I remember him impressing me at LSU.

Users who are viewing this thread