What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Sleepers (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006 said:
FUBAR said:
Jarius Wright, MIN WR. Patterson is a project (albeit, a talented one) who I don't think shines immediately. Wright won't be Harvin per se, but he'll be a good WR3 or more and can be had very cheap.

Housler, Palmer, Boykin.

the nice thing about guys like this is I'd be fine dropping them if they aren't paying off. As opposed to guys like K Wright or Dobson who you would probably hang onto even if they're not performing.
Someone else said something this effect I don't remember where but... Wright is more like Harvin and Patterson and Jennings are more like every other WR Ponder has had in his arsenal and failed to deliver to or with.

I thought Wright looked quite good filling in for Harvin last year. I know there will be a concerted effort to get Jennings and Patterson the ball but Ponder is what he is and one thing he will be looking to do is replace what he had with Harvin.
Whoever said that, you should stop listening to.

Wright is a little bit similar to Harvin but the other guys are nowhere near what he has in Jennings and, potentially, Patterson.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on FBG consensus ADP (0ppr)

More value pick than sleeper:

Mathews (RB24) - top 10 talent, new offense, upgraded (but still bad) O-line

Stewart (RB33) - (pending health) new OC

B.Brown (RB40) - plenty of rushes to go around, possibly a better pure rusher than McCoy

Pierce (RB43) - exactly the same as above, except replace McCoy with Rice

Austin (WR34) - will be top 15 if healthy, worth the gamble here, finished WR26 through injury last year

Sanders (WR45) - there will be a lot of passes in this offense, someone besides Brown has to catch them

Sleeper (after 10th round):

Rivers (QB19) - top 10 four years running until last year, new offense with better weapons

Tannehill (QB24) - very raw last year, new weapons

LMJ (RB55) - Hunter coming off achilles, great o-line

Goodson (RB61) - same contract as injury prone Ivory, will be best when team is behind which will be often, rich man's 2012 Joique Bell?

Rice (WR47) - still going to be the deep threat and red zone guy except with Harvin drawing coverage, WR30 on only 81 targets last year

DHB (WR56) - good character, still has the great measurables, turned the corner in 2011, competing for a starting job

Streater (WR75) - already mentioned by squistion but I like him, too. Could usurp Moore who I believe isn't a very good route runner

Burleson (WR81) - only competition is a guy coming off a late season ACL, WR2 on team with most passing attempts last year

Bennett (TE13) - looked great when healthy, new team/new offense

Z.Miller (TE27) - a forgotten talent

Celek/Casey - one of these guys is going to emerge in Kelly's offense

i hate to say it but i think that whoever ends up as backup qb for read option teams will be good stash players i see a lot of injuries to read option qbs coming up this year even though i am sad to say that because i like trickery on the o side of the ball and read option has some elements of trickery but not enough gaget plays for my liking take that to the bank brohans
Please make a withdrawal from the bank of punctuation. TIA

Aaron Dobson, who else is gonna be Tom Brady's outside guy?
based off the information I've seen he's really struggled and may have fallen behind Thompkins & Jenkins
That suggests to me that they are stuffing him full of info and expectations. We know Jenkins is nothing. I can't say I have a feel for thompkins but if the reports are that Dobson is "struggling"' to me I say great...they are using him (cause you can't struggle if you are watching).Not saying either side of the coin is the certainty but would watch it closer before assuming its bad. It's could be good and a month from now could be a whole different story because I imagine for any rookie that is not perceived as an automatic blue chipper, adjusting to the expectations of Brady and belichick IS a struggle.
Dobson was injured during OTA's, and this is where Thompkins shined. They aren't practicing yet, so he can't be struggling. When camp opens up in a few weeks, you'll obviously have more information.

Rob Housler: Carson Palmer loves to throw to his tightend. Just ask Brandon Myer..
Which of the following is not like the others:

BEST RANKINGS TE EACH YEAR PLAYING WITH PALMER:

2004 - 26

2005 - 36

2006 - 36

2007 - 49

2008 - 44

2009 - 33

2010 - 21

2011 - 29

2012 - 9
Yeah well take this...............

AzCardinals.com considers TE Rob Housler the team's most likely breakout candidate.
Reporter Darren Urban predicts Housler could snag upwards of 60 passes after posting a 45/417/0 line in 2012. That may be on the conservative side for some of Housler's biggest backers, but would still put him squarely in the TE1 conversation. New coach Bruce Arians has called the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise."

Source: azcardinals.com
Jul 9 - 6:16 PM
Housler could be a breakout candidate this year . . . I was only pointing out that over the years, Palmer has not been kind to his TEs. Myers was targeted a lot last year as the Raiders had issues with their receiving corps. Housler could end up as the 4th option in the passing game in ARI. Depending on the size of each individual fantasy league, he may or may not have fantasy relevance this year. ARI had over 600 passing attempts last year, meaning there's not a ton of room for them to throw the ball way more this year.
I was just kidding around....I realize in the past Palmer didn't lean on his TE but last year he sure did. Some of it is game plan but as QB's get older and maybe lose a little arm strength/confidence they are less reluctant to check down. My opinion.

i hate to say it but i think that whoever ends up as backup qb for read option teams will be good stash players i see a lot of injuries to read option qbs coming up this year even though i am sad to say that because i like trickery on the o side of the ball and read option has some elements of trickery but not enough gaget plays for my liking take that to the bank brohans
the collapse of the market was very hard on me and i lost all my investments in the puncutation bank brohan and also you misspelled kia and i am not surprised a brohan like you living in an ivory grammar tower would drive an underpowered foreign car instead of a hemi powered super car why not support americans brohan jee whiz guys like you are hurting the country put america to work and make the country better take that to the bank brohan

Jeremy Kerley was the only dependable WR for the Jets last year and finished 56/827/2 in a woeful Sparano offense. Now coming into his 3rd year, Mornhingweg is installing an up tempo offense and has raved about Kerley's quickness and professionalism. Holmes is coming off Lis Franc and Hill is still battling knee issues, so there is great opportunity there, especially if Geno takes over. Considering his ADP, he's a steal in ppr leagues IMO.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
FUBAR said:
Jarius Wright, MIN WR. Patterson is a project (albeit, a talented one) who I don't think shines immediately. Wright won't be Harvin per se, but he'll be a good WR3 or more and can be had very cheap.

Housler, Palmer, Boykin.

the nice thing about guys like this is I'd be fine dropping them if they aren't paying off. As opposed to guys like K Wright or Dobson who you would probably hang onto even if they're not performing.
Someone else said something this effect I don't remember where but... Wright is more like Harvin and Patterson and Jennings are more like every other WR Ponder has had in his arsenal and failed to deliver to or with.

I thought Wright looked quite good filling in for Harvin last year. I know there will be a concerted effort to get Jennings and Patterson the ball but Ponder is what he is and one thing he will be looking to do is replace what he had with Harvin.

Wright is a little bit similar to Harvin but the other guys are nowhere near what he has in Jennings and, potentially, Patterson.
Honestly, I think Ponder could be a steal. Wouldn't trust him as my #1, but he's a decent risk in best ball as QBBC.

Rob Housler: Carson Palmer loves to throw to his tightend. Just ask Brandon Myer..
Which of the following is not like the others:

BEST RANKINGS TE EACH YEAR PLAYING WITH PALMER:

2004 - 26

2005 - 36

2006 - 36

2007 - 49

2008 - 44

2009 - 33

2010 - 21

2011 - 29

2012 - 9
Yeah well take this...............

AzCardinals.com considers TE Rob Housler the team's most likely breakout candidate.
Reporter Darren Urban predicts Housler could snag upwards of 60 passes after posting a 45/417/0 line in 2012. That may be on the conservative side for some of Housler's biggest backers, but would still put him squarely in the TE1 conversation. New coach Bruce Arians has called the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Housler a "wideout playing tight end," and believes "the sky is the limit as far as where he can get talent-wise."

Source: azcardinals.com
Jul 9 - 6:16 PM
Fluff piece. Heath Miller went from TE20 to TE4 (15 games) after Arians left. Housler may be a WR playing TE, but he's on a team with Fitzgerald, Floyd, and Roberts who are all very good WRs playing WR. The TE will be blocking in Arizona just like the TE did in Pitt. I expect 60-70 targets.
the more I think about this, the more I'm agreeing with you.

Housler has the talent to break out, but I'm very reluctant to take a TE on a team whose quality of WRs far surpass the OLine.

Rivers (QB19) - top 10 four years running until last year, new offense with better weapons
I'm not sure how he has better weapons that he's had in the past. I think Vincent Brown has talent but is inexperienced, DX's knee is a timebomb waiting to explode, Floyd is a JAG, Allen is a rookie and Gates is a shell of himself.

I don't see much upside with Rivers and would rather draft a high upside backup QB like Sam Bradford or Carson Palmer.

I'm not sure how he has better weapons that he's had in the past. I think Vincent Brown has talent but is inexperienced, DX's knee is a timebomb waiting to explode, Floyd is a JAG, Allen is a rookie and Gates is a shell of himself.

I don't see much upside with Rivers and would rather draft a high upside backup QB like Sam Bradford or Carson Palmer.
Better weapons than last year is all I meant. Last year he had no Vincent Brown, no rookie Allen, and only half a season with a newly acquired DX. Keep in mind, Rivers threw for 4700 yards with Crayton and Floyd as his top 2 WRs in 2010. Gates only played 10 games yet led the receiving corps with 50 receptions (Sproles had 59). With a new offense, I like his chances to rebound.

How are you going to talk about Rivers' lack of proven targets and then call Bradford high upside? Rivers is at least proven. Bradford has never cracked 6.7 ypa and has probably the least experienced receiving corps in the league. I do like Palmer - the only thing keeping me from drafting him in every league is the fact that he plays in the toughest division in football as far as defenses are concerned. His offensive line is improving but still poor. He could really put up some duds in his division games.

Better weapons than last year is all I meant. Last year he had no Vincent Brown, no rookie Allen, and only half a season with a newly acquired DX. Keep in mind, Rivers threw for 4700 yards with Crayton and Floyd as his top 2 WRs in 2010. Gates only played 10 games yet led the receiving corps with 50 receptions (Sproles had 59). With a new offense, I like his chances to rebound.

How are you going to talk about Rivers' lack of proven targets and then call Bradford high upside? Rivers is at least proven. Bradford has never cracked 6.7 ypa and has probably the least experienced receiving corps in the league. I do like Palmer - the only thing keeping me from drafting him in every league is the fact that he plays in the toughest division in football as far as defenses are concerned. His offensive line is improving but still poor. He could really put up some duds in his division games.
Upside /= proven.

I think Rivers has shown to be in decline, whether that's due to his poor o-line (which really hasn't improved much at all), a hidden injury or some mental block; where I think Bradford has room to grow and played well in the second half of last season.

The Rams have surrounded him with athletic talented weapons (albeit inexperienced ones) and will be looking to open up their offense. I like "boom or bust" types for my backup QB and Bradford fits that mold more than Rivers, who frankly I see heading in the wrong direction.

the collapse of the market was very hard on me and i lost all my investments in the puncutation bank brohan and also you misspelled kia and i am not surprised a brohan like you living in an ivory grammar tower would drive an underpowered foreign car instead of a hemi powered super car why not support americans brohan jee whiz guys like you are hurting the country put america to work and make the country better take that to the bank brohan
I just noticed you edited your reply. Was that because it was not confusing enough when you initially wrote it?

Antonio Brown is great value with an ADP of 67 which I could easily see him outproducing.

Jermichael Finley, I think people are overrating James Jones as a red zone target and I think this offense is productive enough to support 3 wrs and a te anyway. I think he realizes this is a make or break year and pulls it all together.

Andre Roberts/ Michael Floyd, these guys were relatively productive last year despite the perfect storm of terrible that hit Arz's offense last year. I think this team's passing game bounces back and all involved benefit.

Josh Freemon, a steal in 2QB leagues.

I just noticed you edited your reply. Was that because it was not confusing enough when you initially wrote it?
dear brohan i am not so good at typing but i do what i can and soldier on some people are ok with it and still like to let me have some fun around here but not you apparently forget being excellent to eachother i guess so as my main man the guy who played ara parseegian said you just summed up your entire posting carreer in one sentence and if you had one tenth the heart of the old swcer you would have been a top poster around here but as it is you just went from third team to the prep team so get out of here take that to the bank brohan ps i do not think finley is going to have a good year td wise probably yardage but i just do not see tds brohanskis from the polish part of town

dear brohan i am not so good at typing but i do what i can and soldier on some people are ok with it and still like to let me have some fun around here but not you apparently forget being excellent to eachother i guess so as my main man the guy who played ara parseegian said you just summed up your entire posting carreer in one sentence and if you had one tenth the heart of the old swcer you would have been a top poster around here but as it is you just went from third team to the prep team so get out of here take that to the bank brohan ps i do not think finley is going to have a good year td wise probably yardage but i just do not see tds brohanskis from the polish part of town
:wub:

People have said Arians doesn't use the TE as a receiver effectively, more as a blocker. Looked at Heath Millers numbers during the Arians O.C. years in Pittsburg and I can't say I agree . Miller averaged roughly 50 catches and 600 yards 4 tds during that time. Not horrible for a team that emphasizes the run. But if you look at his 2009 season during that span 98 targets 76 catches 789 yards 6tds (which would have put him at around #7 for 2012 in standard scoring league) you will see that an Arians TE is capable of putting up decent numbers. Those are the numbers I can see Housler putting up with an Arians offense and Palmer at QB. With San Fran and Seattle in that division Arizona is going to have to throw to compete.

People have said Arians doesn't use the TE as a receiver effectively, more as a blocker. Looked at Heath Millers numbers during the Arians O.C. years in Pittsburg and I can't say I agree . Miller averaged roughly 50 catches and 600 yards 4 tds during that time. Not horrible for a team that emphasizes the run. But if you look at his 2009 season during that span 98 targets 76 catches 789 yards 6tds (which would have put him at around #7 for 2012 in standard scoring league) you will see that an Arians TE is capable of putting up decent numbers. Those are the numbers I can see Housler putting up with an Arians offense and Palmer at QB. With San Fran and Seattle in that division Arizona is going to have to throw to compete.
I'm not sure Housler would put up those numbers (76-789-6 on 98 targets) if he is 4th in line after Fitz, Floyd, and Roberts. Put another way, I don't see ARI having 4 guys with that many receptions, yards, or receiving TD.

Miller did that well that year in PIT on a team that put 4500 yards and 28 passing TD. While the Cards passing attack should be stronger this year over last year, I am not sure it will be 1100 passing yards and 17 TD better to get to the levels that PIT had in 2009.

I'm not sure Housler would put up those numbers (76-789-6 on 98 targets) if he is 4th in line after Fitz, Floyd, and Roberts. Put another way, I don't see ARI having 4 guys with that many receptions, yards, or receiving TD.

Miller did that well that year in PIT on a team that put 4500 yards and 28 passing TD. While the Cards passing attack should be stronger this year over last year, I am not sure it will be 1100 passing yards and 17 TD better to get to the levels that PIT had in 2009.
I would agree if he is 4th in line, but that is making the assumption he is 4th in line. It's entirely possible he could be 3rd at worst. The catch total of 76 may be high but 700 yards and 6tds could be reasonable. Anyhow I quess we will know soon enough. Here is to the upcoming season :banned:

That looks like a bit of cherry picking to me. Arians was the OC there from 2007-2011. That year you selected he happened to catch 77% of his passes as opposed to an even 70% in the rest of his career. He also saw a then career high number of targets. Here is Miller's usage in five years with Arians:

TGT REC 61 47 65 48 98 76 65 42 80 51I'm not seeing where the excitement stems from.

Greg Little - he's only played 2 seasons even though he seems like a perennial disappointment. Known for drops early in his career, he improved on this metric the last half of 2012. Little is big, strong, aggressive and explosive. He has uber elite metrics in several categories. I hated Little last season and avoided him like the plague. I love him this season with an ADP in round 11ish. E2A: Also wanted to point out that there's a new regime in CLE and this will now be a Norv Turner offense. Always hated Norv as a HC and he wears thin as an OC, but I think this new scheme will benefit Weeden and Little. Norv has always made stars out of his big/physical WRs and with Little entering his 3rd season and having a gunslinger QB, I think he's a lock for 1,000+ yards and 8 TDs.
I agree with the Greg Little endorsement. This team will be throwing this season and Little may start out slow but will get single coverage once Gordon returns from suspension.

I also like Alshon Jeffery - WR - Bears to improve greatly this season and believe he'll have much higher value than his draft position.

Housler, Palmer, Boykin.

This was in the Bloom 100 thread, about Patterson:

... Comparing his potential to Harvin doesn't seem like a good idea. Harvin was the #2 WR in PPR before he got hurt (and still blasted Ponder on his way out the door). After that the next best Minnesota WR for the rest of the season was Jarius Wright who was #56 (barely worth a roster spot). With the Vikes QB situation for the forseeable future, you have to ask whether Patterson will be more like Harvin or more like every other WR Ponder has ever thrown to. He better be an elite talent or he might not be worth a roster spot. Of course if you're willing to wait for a new QB you certainly can, but who knows what that will look like. Seems like an awful high risk for a pick that you want to be pretty safe.
That's not exactly the way I put it, so I was off base. I was comparing Wright to Harvin thinking of the games when Wright came in last year. Not a Vikes watcher but I did see some of what went on last year and I did think Wright looked good.

I wouldn't compare Jennings or Patterson to what Ponder has had at WR beyond Harvin, in either size or skill. I guess what I was saying, or trying to ask, is, is Ponder really capable of getting it to Jennings and Patterson the way they should be getting the ball given their talent (ie what we know Jennings can do and considering what Patterson might be able to do...)?

Jeremy Kerley was the only dependable WR for the Jets last year and finished 56/827/2 in a woeful Sparano offense. Now coming into his 3rd year, Mornhingweg is installing an up tempo offense and has raved about Kerley's quickness and professionalism. Holmes is coming off Lis Franc and Hill is still battling knee issues, so there is great opportunity there, especially if Geno takes over. Considering his ADP, he's a steal in ppr leagues IMO.
Mentioned it elsewhere re: Kerley, and it may be a bit of a reach n' stretch, but we're talking sleepers, so it fits with the theme.... Kerley shares a ton of similarities to Geno Smith's favorite targets while at WVU. Kerley could be a HUGE steal for a team that may have to throw the ball a ton.

Jermichael Finley, I think people are overrating James Jones as a red zone target and I think this offense is productive enough to support 3 wrs and a te anyway. I think he realizes this is a make or break year and pulls it all together.
Dude is really quite freakish and is supposedly having an excellent offseason heading into a contract year. Jones' inflated numbers last year were flukey at best. I think the scales tip back in Finley's favor in terms of red zone looks (and looks overall). Down on Jones, high on Fin-deuce.

I also like Alshon Jeffery - WR - Bears to improve greatly this season and believe he'll have much higher value than his draft position.
Speaking of freaks.......... this guy's kinda gone unnoticed, probably due to the weak showing as a rookie. But come on, he was a rookie on a team with a receptions-funnel in Marshall, a good pass-catching back in Forte and a hot-and-cold QB that was on his back more than Jenna Jameson.

Better things ahead for CHI this year and with a solid offseason under the belt and Marshall to draw coverage, I'm thinking Jeffrey could approach 800 yards and snare 6+ TDs.

What a terrific thread, kudos to everyone contributing.

I'm digging Rod Streater. If he can gain some more consistency he looks like he could be a solid option in Oak this year. QBing could be an issue, but Flyhn will hopefully be good enough (like Henne was good enough for Shorts/Blackmon last year) to give us a couple of viable options.

Also like the Greg Little suggestion. He did reasonably well at the end of last season and with Gordon stretching the field he could be an 80 catch guy.

Dude is really quite freakish and is supposedly having an excellent offseason heading into a contract year. Jones' inflated numbers last year were flukey at best. I think the scales tip back in Finley's favor in terms of red zone looks (and looks overall). Down on Jones, high on Fin-deuce.
I see many fantasy fans say this about Finley and it makes me wonder what people mean by "freakish" when referring to Finley. Based on his metrics, calling him mediocre is exaggerating to be honest. He's below average in almost every combine metric.

I know Rodgers has said he's "uncover able" and perhaps there's something there that doesn't show up in his metrics. But from a purely metrics standpoint, he really is just average.

I see many fantasy fans say this about Finley and it makes me wonder what people mean by "freakish" when referring to Finley. Based on his metrics, calling him mediocre is exaggerating to be honest. He's below average in almost every combine metric.

I know Rodgers has said he's "uncover able" and perhaps there's something there that doesn't show up in his metrics. But from a purely metrics standpoint, he really is just average.
This is exactly why the "eyeball tests" in the shark pool do nothing more than humor me. He's got good size and once appeared to have great hands, but a freak athlete he is not. Luckily, you don't have to be a freak to be a productive player in that offense. Just run your route and catch the ball. I'm not sure he's been doing either of those things the last two years. He did seem to pull it together in the second half of last year, though, so I'm optimistic about him in 2013. Not sure if I'm optimistic enough to grab him over some similarly (or cheaper) priced guys.

FF Ninja said:
That looks like a bit of cherry picking to me. Arians was the OC there from 2007-2011. That year you selected he happened to catch 77% of his passes as opposed to an even 70% in the rest of his career. He also saw a then career high number of targets. Here is Miller's usage in five years with Arians:

TGT REC 61 47 65 48 98 76 65 42 80 51I'm not seeing where the excitement stems from.
I mentioned Millers averages during the 5 years so not really cherry picking. I was using 2009 as an example that an Arians offense could support a TE. Also as a side note the two 40 catch seasons- I believe Miller only played 14 games. I may be higher than some on Housler, but he did catch 45 balls from the equivelent of 3rd string QB's last year (33 catches coming in a six game span), Palmer wore the TE out last year in Oak. and playing in a division with Sea. and San Fran. I see know reason why he can't reach 60-70 catches and 650-750 yards with 5-7 Tds. Only time will tell.

FF Ninja said:

I mentioned Millers averages during the 5 years so not really cherry picking. I was using 2009 as an example that an Arians offense could support a TE. Also as a side note the two 40 catch seasons- I believe Miller only played 14 games. I may be higher than some on Housler, but he did catch 45 balls from the equivelent of 3rd string QB's last year (33 catches coming in a six game span), Palmer wore the TE out last year in Oak. and playing in a division with Sea. and San Fran. I see know reason why he can't reach 60-70 catches and 650-750 yards with 5-7 Tds. Only time will tell.
Yes, Palmer wore out the TE in OAK. And two RBs too. That's because his WR receiving corps was underwhelming. I don't think you will find anyone that would say a trio of Moore, DHB, and Streater is on par with or better than Fitzgerald, Roberts, and Floyd.

For comparison, look at the Colts last year. Their Top 3 receivers were all WRs. Or look at the Steelers. Miller was at best their third receiving option (and he put up the numbers he put up). There's a huge difference in being the first option or the primary target than the 3rd or 4th option.

FF Ninja said:

Only time will tell, but that doesn't mean we can't use logic to predict. The Steelers were fairly run oriented - averaged 407 RB rushes over those 5 seasons, but that's not anything crazy. The Cards will probably have 350 rushes or so. And like Anarchy said, Miller was the #3 option in Pit all those years. Last year, Myers was at times the #1 option, but usually the #2. DHB got injured, Streater was a rookie, and I remember Moore getting benched for running the wrong route or dropping the ball. Either way, I don't think Oakland in 2012 compares well to Arizona in 2013. Housler will be fighting to be the #3 option now. He'd need around 90 targets to reach 60 receptions, and I just can't see that happening without significant WR injuries. He's a trendy name to throw out as a sleeper, but when digging a bit deeper, the chances are actually very slim. I predict 70 targets, 45 rec, 500 yds, 4 TD

I really like Chris Givens....reminds me of a young Steve Smith (the Panther). I think the arsenal in St. Louis will open a lot of space for him to work.

Darius Heyward-Bey in an Indy uniform is attractive. I think the new culture will help him continue to progress.

Sticking with the Colts, Coby Fleener will not be a sleeper very much longer.

Love Vincent Brown to make a big leap forward in San Diego.

Maybe Andy Reid can harness the powers within from Jon Baldwin.

Although not a sleeper I think Brian Hartline is going to be a great value this year and takes a leap forward statistically.

As always I love Michael Floyd.

Greg Little could be big if he continues to improve.

FF Ninja said:

Only time will tell, but that doesn't mean we can't use logic to predict. The Steelers were fairly run oriented - averaged 407 RB rushes over those 5 seasons, but that's not anything crazy. The Cards will probably have 350 rushes or so. And like Anarchy said, Miller was the #3 option in Pit all those years. Last year, Myers was at times the #1 option, but usually the #2. DHB got injured, Streater was a rookie, and I remember Moore getting benched for running the wrong route or dropping the ball. Either way, I don't think Oakland in 2012 compares well to Arizona in 2013. Housler will be fighting to be the #3 option now. He'd need around 90 targets to reach 60 receptions, and I just can't see that happening without significant WR injuries. He's a trendy name to throw out as a sleeper, but when digging a bit deeper, the chances are actually very slim. I predict 70 targets, 45 rec, 500 yds, 4 TD
That is roughly what he had with 3rd string Qb's, 9 games started(three games with no stats) and the same receiving corp ArZ. will have this year. Lets just agree to disagree and see how it all shakes out at the end of the season.

B.Brown (RB40) - plenty of rushes to go around, possibly a better pure rusher than McCoy

Austin (WR34) - will be top 15 if healthy, worth the gamble here, finished WR26 through injury last year

Sanders (WR45) - there will be a lot of passes in this offense, someone besides Brown has to catch them

Goodson (RB61) - same contract as injury prone Ivory, will be best when team is behind which will be often, rich man's 2012 Joique Bell?

Rice (WR47) - still going to be the deep threat and red zone guy except with Harvin drawing coverage, WR30 on only 81 targets last year

DHB (WR56) - good character, still has the great measurables, turned the corner in 2011, competing for a starting job

Streater (WR75) - already mentioned by squistion but I like him, too. Could usurp Moore who I believe isn't a very good route runner

Burleson (WR81) - only competition is a guy coming off a late season ACL, WR2 on team with most passing attempts last year

I don't understand Zack Miller on the list. He was used and performed well in Oakland but he was with Seattle all of last year and did very little. Help me understand, what upside is there?

You can be freaky and have average metrics.

Also, when do metrics automatically make you produce on-field?

The contract year will be some serious fuel for this guy. Add in the fact that Jones overperformed last season, the nature of the Packer offense and loss of Jennings and you have the makings of what could be a big season *IF* the guy plays up to what he should be able to produce.

We'll see.

The contract year will be some serious fuel for this guy. Add in the fact that Jones overperformed last season, the nature of the Packer offense and loss of Jennings and you have the makings of what could be a big season *IF* the guy plays up to what he should be able to produce.

We'll see.
Please explain exactly what is "freaky" or "freakish" about Finley. Finley as an elite athlete is one of the most ridiculous yet persistent misperceptions in the history of FF.

That said, I agree that he's a nice player to target this year -- but that's based on situation (and the fact that he's burned a ton of people the past few years) far more than on Finley's (lack of) "elite" ability.

I don't understand Zack Miller on the list. He was used and performed well in Oakland but he was with Seattle all of last year and did very little. Help me understand, what upside is there?
Since Miller was top10 TE at one time at Oakland, I guess that's the potential upside if Seattle decides to use the TE position more. I'm not sure that will happen, Caroll hasn't shown to be a TE-friendly coach so far there and trying to go further back USC wasn't exactly manufacturing high end TE talent. With their running game going at a high level and Wilson finding his rhythm with his receivers, I'd say this is a lottery situation at best. Miller has talent, no argument there, but the opportunities will be hard to come by if last year is any indication.

Since Miller was top10 TE at one time at Oakland, I guess that's the potential upside if Seattle decides to use the TE position more. I'm not sure that will happen, Caroll hasn't shown to be a TE-friendly coach so far there and trying to go further back USC wasn't exactly manufacturing high end TE talent. With their running game going at a high level and Wilson finding his rhythm with his receivers, I'd say this is a lottery situation at best. Miller has talent, no argument there, but the opportunities will be hard to come by if last year is any indication.
That is my thinking as well. He is cheap enough. I was asking because he is available in some of my zealot leagues that have pretty big rosters. I just don't see the upside since he had a year in Seattle already and did not seem to be used much. I can't see what might change so I was wondering what someone else might be seeing.

Id love to live on a planet where 6'5 250 lbs running a 4.7 40 yd dash is just barely above average. Just not sure earth is that place

Sanders - more talent than Brown, would not be suprised to see him outpreform said WR1.

Jeffrey

Blackmon - Will outperform Shorts in stats even with the 4 week handicap

Pitta - #2-3 TE going quite late in many drafts

R Randle

loose circuits said:
Id love to live on a planet where 6'5 250 lbs running a 4.7 40 yd dash is just barely above average. Just not sure earth is that place
Finley ran a 4.82 at the combine. That's slower that 14 of the 20 TEs that attended this year. He's slow for an NFL TE. His jump numbers (explosive fast twitch) were spectacularly bad also. I've called him an "average starting NFL TE" for years, so 10 - 20 range, and been blasted for it here, but it's true. He doesn't compare to the true freaks of nature at the position like Graham, Gronk, and VD.

Coeur de Lion said:
nirad3 said:
Rhythmdoctor said:
nirad3 said:

We'll see.
Please explain exactly what is "freaky" or "freakish" about Finley. Finley as an elite athlete is one of the most ridiculous yet persistent misperceptions in the history of FF.

That said, I agree that he's a nice player to target this year -- but that's based on situation (and the fact that he's burned a ton of people the past few years) far more than on Finley's (lack of) "elite" ability.
Seeing the guy up close in person while living in Austin and watching him play. Good enough reason for you? Boy, folks sure do get testy around here when you simply offer an opinion.

The guy ran 40's in the 4.6 range. Vernon Davis he is not, I'll admit.

Some keywords from NFL combine summary: athletic build, rare body control, can contort in the air to adjust to poorly thrown pass, good leaping ability, can make defenders miss.

Forget what NFL scouts said and what my eyes saw... some internet message board guy is going to change my mind. F'in hilarious.

loose circuits said:
Finley ran a 4.82 at the combine. That's slower that 14 of the 20 TEs that attended this year. He's slow for an NFL TE. His jump numbers (explosive fast twitch) were spectacularly bad also. I've called him an "average starting NFL TE" for years, so 10 - 20 range, and been blasted for it here, but it's true. He doesn't compare to the true freaks of nature at the position like Graham, Gronk, and VD.
4.82? Where are you getting your numbers? He ran a 4.67. E2A: Official combine was 4.82, but was in the 4.60-4.67 range pre-combine. Splitting hairs and really, does it make a difference?

But hey, keep throwing out buzzwords like "fast twitch", that's really gonna make the difference here. :grad:

loose circuits said:
Are you comparing him (Finley) to all of humanity or the subset of NFL players? That may be the disconnect.

So the board should take your personal eyeball test over the hard data provided by his combine workout, his late 3rd round draft position (what the scouts actually thought of him), and his completely non-elite NFL production in a spectacular situation, all of which point to average starter over elite?

Uhhhh... no.

So the board should take your personal eyeball test over the hard data provided by his combine workout, his late 3rd round draft position (what the scouts actually thought of him), and his completely non-elite NFL production in a spectacular situation, all of which point to average starter over elite?

Uhhhh... no.
All hail Lion Heart, the one and only god of fantasy football. You're right, conversation over. Bye now.

nirad3 said:
Rhythmdoctor said:
nirad3 said:
I see many fantasy fans say this about Finley and it makes me wonder what people mean by "freakish" when referring to Finley. Based on his metrics, calling him mediocre is exaggerating to be honest. He's below average in almost every combine metric.I know Rodgers has said he's "uncover able" and perhaps there's something there that doesn't show up in his metrics. But from a purely metrics standpoint, he really is just average.

We'll see.
Well you are right in that there have been many freak athletes who have priduced nill on the field. I do like Finley this season as his last chance to step it up. He needs to catch the ball and keep his mouth shut though!!

Uhhhh... no.
All hail Lion Heart, the one and only god of fantasy football. You're right, conversation over. Bye now.
This made me LOL

nirad3 said:
Rhythmdoctor said:
nirad3 said:
I see many fantasy fans say this about Finley and it makes me wonder what people mean by "freakish" when referring to Finley. Based on his metrics, calling him mediocre is exaggerating to be honest. He's below average in almost every combine metric.I know Rodgers has said he's "uncover able" and perhaps there's something there that doesn't show up in his metrics. But from a purely metrics standpoint, he really is just average.

We'll see.
Well you are right in that there have been many freak athletes who have priduced nill on the field. I do like Finley this season as his last chance to step it up. He needs to catch the ball and keep his mouth shut though!!
The bolded part sums this guy up pretty good for the upcoming year. As far as James Jones, I'd be more worried about Cobb's production if I am counting on Finley in the coming year.

This thread does point to something interesting when you weed through the condescension... Finley, with all the potential and hype at least from the fantasy community, on a team with a future hall-of-fame QB (and I mean Rodgers, not the finally retired one) and on a team struggling to find a consistent running game, has not been more than a flash in a pan and finished top 10 only once in his five year career. I would have expected a talented tight end would have been utilized a lot more in the redzone especially last year on a pass first team with an accurate QB. His number of catches was a record for him in 2012, but he had only 2 TD's. Is it him? Is it the system? Would it be any different this year than the other four years? Was 2011 (his best year in terms of fantasy production) a glimpse of what he can be?

He seems like a gamble to me but if you're gonna gamble on him this seems to be the year for it.

nirad3 said:
Rhythmdoctor said:
nirad3 said:

We'll see.
The bolded part sums this guy up pretty good for the upcoming year. As far as James Jones, I'd be more worried about Cobb's production if I am counting on Finley in the coming year.

This thread does point to something interesting when you weed through the condescension... Finley, with all the potential and hype at least from the fantasy community, on a team with a future hall-of-fame QB (and I mean Rodgers, not the finally retired one) and on a team struggling to find a consistent running game, has not been more than a flash in a pan and finished top 10 only once in his five year career. I would have expected a talented tight end would have been utilized a lot more in the redzone especially last year on a pass first team with an accurate QB. His number of catches was a record for him in 2012, but he had only 2 TD's. Is it him? Is it the system? Would it be any different this year than the other four years? Was 2011 (his best year in terms of fantasy production) a glimpse of what he can be?

He seems like a gamble to me but if you're gonna gamble on him this seems to be the year for it.
Absolutely. I had high hopes (quite obviously) a few years ago but for lack of better terms he's been pretty turd-like. Rodgers has been pumpin' him up pretty good and the contract year could/should light the necessary fire.

I'm in a bit of a pickle with the guy in a dynasty league... resigned him in RFA (for a steal of a price) and am perplexed as to the contract length to go with. I could be stuck. :porked:

Users who are viewing this thread