What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014/15 UK Basketball - :pours40out: (2 Viewers)

I just looked over the box score since I only got to half-watch the game. Harrison seriously jacked up 13 3-pt attempts and went 4-20!?

They should punch his brother in the face every time he passes to him in practice.

OT to Texas A&M is like a loss IMO
does double OT count as 2 losses?
OT to Texas A&M is like a loss IMO
does double OT count as 2 losses?
Yes or more
How much better does this make Texas A&M than Louisville?
Well since this the SEC I think that Texas a&m gets vaulted into the top 10. Or, does that only work for football?

I just looked over the box score since I only got to half-watch the game. Harrison seriously jacked up 13 3-pt attempts and went 4-20!?

They should punch his brother in the face every time he passes to him in practice.
Yeah the Harrisons had a pretty brutal shooting day 6-30. I think these last couple of games have been two of the worst coaching games for Cal since he has been here. He has completely lost the trust for Lee and Johnson, but lets the Harrisons jack up 30 bricks? I get that shooters have to shoot their way out of a slump, but whne you have a 50% 3-point shooter, maybe you let him take a few shots...

Really needs to go back to the platoon - let Lee and Johnson work their way through it - rotate the Bigs to make up for Poythress being out of the rotation. The fresh energy fueled as much of the defensive pressure early in the season as anything I have seen the last two games.

Man, Sinn I respect your opinion, but can't agree. Johnson and Lee have been TERRIBLE for a month now. Johnson is soooooooooo slow he limits what the team can do especially defensively. Lee just isn't very good. What I'm dying for is a Ulis, Booker, Lyles, WCS, Towns lineup.

I'm about ready to close the book on both Harrisons. There were 3 separate occasions today when one of them was in a position to drop it off on the break to a trailer for an easy basket and they took a contested shot instead. Until they start looking for the pass, they can sit as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, Cal seems to have hitched his wagon to the two of them...

I also can't understand why we aren't trying to force the tempo a little more. When they come out flat, press and run a little bit. I know we play full court D most of the game, but it's rarely more than token pressure. Occasionally WCS will double the inbounds pass, but there's no support from anybody else.

I've got a big complaint with the scheduling, too. 7 day break between UNC and UCLA. Then another week before UL. Then a week and a half between that game and Ole Miss. This is a tough time for most teams (my uncle was a longtime HS coach and he called it the "January blahs"). Not sure "Camp Cal" is the way to keep sharp...might pay off down the road, but for right now we aren't seeing many dividends.

All that said, 15-0 with a couple of close games to test the nerves a little isn't so bad! :cool:

I hear you - but "bad" for a UK player is still a pretty good player. The team just feels so out of rhythm with the substitution pattern, and two games now where the team comes out flat. The platoon, even accepting a lower output with Lee and Johnson, kept everyone fresh, and kept the defensive pressure at its highest - even in half-court. There is simply less energy injected in the game when you sub 1 or 2 at a time. And having 3 guys foul out? Johnson and Lee should have been absorbing some of those fouls... combined with letting the Harrisons play, while benching Lee and Johnson sounds more like he knows he will have more trouble internally for benching the Harrisons - not simply benching poor performing players.

The long breaks between games were somewhat constrained around exams (after the UNC game) and a small christmas break for the players (after the UCLA game). The break after the Louisville game, may have been done to have a Camp Cal, but obviously UK had used up all the non-conference games.

Why did they go away from platoon? It worked
Poythress kept it from being 5 and 5, and then combined with less than stellar defensive play from Lee, and to a lesser extent Johnson - and Calipari is just wired to have a short bench - he still talks about a conversation he had with Wooden years ago about the importance of a short bench - let the players fight for time in practice.

Only a matter of time with them playing like this. The platoon was dominating. Now they're just another pretty good team

If the energy was dropping later in the games I would agree with you, but the energy has been low from the start. Even with the fast start shooting against Ole Miss, the defensive intensity was low with the first unit and even worse with the second. Looked to me like the platoons just weren't working early so Cal scrapped it. I'm sure if they come out the next game and platoons are working he will stick with it.

On the scheduling front, they played Nov. 14, 16, 18, 21, 23, 25. I remember talking with friends during that stretch about how jammed up the sched was at that point. Same thing in the middle of Dec. so there were games that could have been scheduled differently.

So far both games in conference that UK has played has gone into OT. Major players on the opposing teams had banner days. Moody at Ole Miss set a career high, and Roberson and Robinson both could not miss for Texas A&M. I have said it before and will say again, UK will get beat and should get beat. More than once. This team is good. Great even. But I have seen some arrogance on the part of the bigs. And the Harrison twins are not living up to their hype at all. Towns acts sometimes like no one should touch him when he gets the ball down low. Getting all huffy when he gets fouled hard. Johnson tries hard but has seem to lost his aggressiveness when posting up. Lyles, Booker, and Ulis are the only ones that seem to have fire in their bellies when they play. Marcus Lee needs more playing time. He has been pretty bad lately, but at least he gives effort when he's in. 15-0 is a good mark. WCS is the glue that is holding this team together right now. Let's see what happens when they play Missouri next. Should be interesting.

:lmao:

Presumably the same coach who had been voting Duke over UK, is now voting UVA over UK. Someone must really hate UK or Calipari.

UK struggled this week, but hey still have a more impressive resume than UVA, or any other team out there right now.

I tried to figure out an argument for UVA over UK for #1. I think I found it: UVA is 7-0 against the RPI 50, while UK is only 6-0.

(Both are 9-0 against the RPI 100.

UK is 4-0 against the RPI 30, while UVA is 2-0. )

I tried to figure out an argument for UVA over UK for #1. I think I found it: UVA is 7-0 against the RPI 50, while UK is only 6-0.

(Both are 9-0 against the RPI 100.

UK is 4-0 against the RPI 30, while UVA is 2-0. )
At the end of the day, it does not matter - two writers switched from UK also. More amusing that someone really can't stomach voting for UK at #1*

*for all I know its a different coach who is now voting for UVA than the Duke voter - UK was second on that ballot before, and now.

ACC is a top conference this season, and whichever team comes out on top, deserves a #1 seed in March. Might be a tad skewed with the uneven schedules, but I don't know if any teams got off "easy" or if any team has a particularly tough schedule.

Yeah, the ACC champ should get a 1-seed.

UK should get one as well.

Wisconsin will probably run away with the Big Ten, so they have an inside track on a 1-seed.

So that leaves Nova, Gonzaga, Arizona, the Big XII champ, and possibly ACC #2 fighting over the last 1-seed.

:lmao:

Presumably the same coach who had been voting Duke over UK, is now voting UVA over UK. Someone must really hate UK or Calipari.

UK struggled this week, but hey still have a more impressive resume than UVA, or any other team out there right now.
Mike Young of Wofford. I'll bet his Inbox is crushed right now.

Virginia's got some losses ahead of them. The ACC is stacked.

Using Christmas day as the cutoff, UK is DEAD LAST in the country since then in 2 point FG %. DEAD LAST.

During that stretch, they are 3-0, with 2 road wins, including one over top 5 Louisville.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers...R E L A X. It's quite possible we just played as bad as we can play over a three game stretch and came out unscathed.

ETA - without the Harrisons we lose the Ole Miss game by 20 plus. Guys have off games - Ulis was non existent vs Ole Miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Platoons are back!!!

Dominique Hawkins started, and Lyles moved back to the White platoon.

And all is right with the world again (so far).

Looks like Cal agreed with you Sinn on the platoons. He was quick to pull Lee and Johnson over rebounding issues again though.

And I finally got my Booker, Ulis, Lyles, WCS, Towns lineup and it looked pretty awesome.

Cyclones said:
Using Christmas day as the cutoff, UK is DEAD LAST in the country since then in 2 point FG %. DEAD LAST.

During that stretch, they are 3-0, with 2 road wins, including one over top 5 Louisville.

In the words of Aaron Rodgers...R E L A X. It's quite possible we just played as bad as we can play over a three game stretch and came out unscathed.

ETA - without the Harrisons we lose the Ole Miss game by 20 plus. Guys have off games - Ulis was non existent vs Ole Miss.
I can deal with bad games. Bad attitudes not so much

Entertaining discussion on a KU board leading up to the Mizzou/UK game, centered on who to root against. Consensus was Rock Chalk was a surrogate member of Big Blue Nation tonight. My favorite comment was a user posting UK could start Fred Phelps, Osama Bin Laden, and Satan on the perimeter and he would still root for Mizzou to lose.

Then after the game started, it became important that UK beat Mizzou by more than they beat KU. So thanks for keeping the foot on the gas against our big rival tonight. It was like a smooth sorbet cleansing the pallet after that choppy whistlefest in Lawrence tonight.

You can be small and compete with Kentucky if you're disciplined. Undisciplined teams, like Missouri, get taken immediately to the woodshed.

Looks like Cal agreed with you Sinn on the platoons. He was quick to pull Lee and Johnson over rebounding issues again though.

And I finally got my Booker, Ulis, Lyles, WCS, Towns lineup and it looked pretty awesome.
Yeah - Cal is funny talking last night about he wanted to get back to the platoon system - he was the one who abandoned it. The energy level with all the players is just higher when they come in for regular shifts. Certainly some players "deserve" more playing time based on skill and performance, but the team is much better when they are almost competing against the other unit.

Does Cal stay with the platoon system after the season ends? Going into the SEC tournament? During the NCAA's? Or does he mix and match depending on the type of team he plays? After all, it's about winning a championship, not how many minutes you get. I personally could care less about the platoon system after the season is over. By that time everyone should be good playing in either platoon. This team as it is right now reminds me of the over-whelming teams back in the 80's, Houston's Phi Slama Jama, and the tenacious Georgetown Hoyas. Hmmmm....how did they fair in their Final Four? Seems I remember some little team out of North Carolina sneaking in and defeating the Cougars. As well as the greatest upset of all time when Villanova defeated Georgetown. Sorry for the negative comparison.

Defenze said:
Does Cal stay with the platoon system after the season ends? Going into the SEC tournament? During the NCAA's? Or does he mix and match depending on the type of team he plays? After all, it's about winning a championship, not how many minutes you get. I personally could care less about the platoon system after the season is over. By that time everyone should be good playing in either platoon. This team as it is right now reminds me of the over-whelming teams back in the 80's, Houston's Phi Slama Jama, and the tenacious Georgetown Hoyas. Hmmmm....how did they fair in their Final Four? Seems I remember some little team out of North Carolina sneaking in and defeating the Cougars. As well as the greatest upset of all time when Villanova defeated Georgetown. Sorry for the negative comparison.
So if the shot clock is outlawed, Cal suddenly decides to play four starters at least 37 minutes, and the opponent shoots .786 from the floor, UK is screwed.

Defenze said:
The platoons make the team better - it allows players with "less" talent to play more minutes than they otherwise would have, but the energy level and cohesiveness on defense make up for that, I think.

I think Cal is struggling with it though - it goes against his nature. He wants to have a short rotation - but it has hurt the team when he did that.

A few comments from Cal after the Mizzu game:

"Everyone helped themselves tonight. Their efficiencies were off the chart."

On Platoons: "I don't know if I'll do it next game. I might not."

"[Mizzu] got what UCLA and Kansas got. They got that kind of effort."

On Karl Anthony Towns and Lee: "If Marcus Lee one-hand rebounds, he's coming out. That moment. If Karl steps back to shoot a three, he's coming out."

"Its january 15, you should look like a January team, play hard and defend."

Also pointed out that they were challenging each platoon not to give up more than 6 points in a rotation (4 minute span).

I wonder if that is why Ulis spiked the ball in frustration at that one timeout.
Hmm... I remember seeing that, but not understanding why he was upset at the time. If I am remembering correctly, UK did call the timeout, and the other unit was going in - but I thought they were already at the scorers table.

Cal made point that in the 1st half, neither platoon gave up more than 6 - but one did give up 6.

Defenze said:
So if the shot clock is outlawed, Cal suddenly decides to play four starters at least 37 minutes, and the opponent shoots .786 from the floor, UK is screwed.
No what I mean is, if there is a 35 second shot clock, and Cal is playing a 2 platoon system, and the opponent shoots 78% from the floor, UK is screwed. Any other team would be too. All I'm saying is the Houston 83' team had 2 HOF's on it and was called by many as being "unbeatable". Every guy on that team was a beast of a player. But when money was on the line, they got beat. So many are saying the same thing of UK, and frankly I wished they'd stop it.

Defenze said:
Defenze said:
No what I mean is, if there is a 35 second shot clock, and Cal is playing a 2 platoon system, and the opponent shoots 78% from the floor, UK is screwed. Any other team would be too. All I'm saying is the Houston 83' team had 2 HOF's on it and was called by many as being "unbeatable". Every guy on that team was a beast of a player. But when money was on the line, they got beat. So many are saying the same thing of UK, and frankly I wished they'd stop it.
Phi Slamma Jamma wasn't called "unbeatable". At this point in the 1083 season, they had already lost twice: once to a middling Syracuse team who went 9-7 in the Big East, and to Virginia who played the game without Ralph Sampson. They didn't play well in the title game, and made some tacitcal errors Calipari wouldn't make. And it still took a buzzer beater to beat them.

Was talking to a former student that plays (sort of) for Louisville now and he said 'it looked like the court wasn't big enough' when they played UK. Also said it looked like there wasn't a passing lane anywhere, that they could get a hand on any pass anytime. Interesting to hear a first-person, floor level account...

Was talking to a former student that plays (sort of) for Louisville now and he said 'it looked like the court wasn't big enough' when they played UK. Also said it looked like there wasn't a passing lane anywhere, that they could get a hand on any pass anytime. Interesting to hear a first-person, floor level account...
Fascinating. Love reading and hearing about stuff like this. Reminds of me of hearing former opponents of the Arkansas "40 Minutes of Hell" at the peak of their powers. One NCAA Tournament victim (can't remember which) practiced breaking Arkansas's press using 7 defenders against five, and the seven from practice didn't cut off space as effectively as Arkansas's five in the game.

Defenze said:
Defenze said:
Phi Slamma Jamma wasn't called "unbeatable". At this point in the 1083 season, they had already lost twice: once to a middling Syracuse team who went 9-7 in the Big East, and to Virginia who played the game without Ralph Sampson.They didn't play well in the title game, and made some tacitcal errors Calipari wouldn't make. And it still took a buzzer beater to beat them.
Phi Slamma Jamma was called "most unlikely to be upset" in the NCAA tournament. Did you watch the team that year? I did. The were explosive and dominate much like Kentucky. Yes the lost twice that year. And that's my point. They lost in the season and went thru the NCAA like crap through a goose. Even Louisville's "Doctors of Dunk" lost to them. I am a Kentucky fan. Live in KY and have watch them all my life. This team is scary good and I am a pessimist. Not a good combo. I hope they win a 9th title. But would rather do my losing during the season instead at tournament time. That's all I'm saying. :2cents:

Defenze said:
Defenze said:
Phi Slamma Jamma wasn't called "unbeatable". At this point in the 1083 season, they had already lost twice: once to a middling Syracuse team who went 9-7 in the Big East, and to Virginia who played the game without Ralph Sampson.They didn't play well in the title game, and made some tacitcal errors Calipari wouldn't make. And it still took a buzzer beater to beat them.
Phi Slamma Jamma was called "most unlikely to be upset" in the NCAA tournament. Did you watch the team that year? I did. The were explosive and dominate much like Kentucky. Yes the lost twice that year. And that's my point. They lost in the season and went thru the NCAA like crap through a goose. Even Louisville's "Doctors of Dunk" lost to them. I am a Kentucky fan. Live in KY and have watch them all my life. This team is scary good and I am a pessimist. Not a good combo. I hope they win a 9th title. But would rather do my losing during the season instead at tournament time. That's all I'm saying. :2cents:
How about we just not do any losing???

Today's game does scare me a bit though. Might be the toughest spot on the SEC schedule.

Dominique Hawkins out of the line-up today - some kind of procedure yesterday :shrug:

ETA - Dominique Hawkins is questionable for the game due to a minor medical procedure,” tweeted Calipari after the Wildcats arrived in Alabama Friday. “He's fine. Hope to have him available.”

Was just going to post that I thought Willis was putting in some good minutes then he immediately commits an offensive foup and gets taken out, lol.

Was just going to post that I thought Willis was putting in some good minutes then he immediately commits an offensive foup and gets taken out, lol.
Feeds the post better than anybody not named Ulis. I might like him better with that first group and keep Lyles with the 2nd platoon.

Willis still looks nervous out there. Thought Hawkins played very well the other night too

Users who are viewing this thread