What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2015 Shark Pool mock draft - The first one (1 Viewer)

Going to wait a bit to see if there's interest in a trade up.

If I stay here, the pick is actually a bit more difficult than I first thought.

1.03 - Jaguars - Shane Ray, DE - Missouri

Ideally, of course, they'd like to trade down form this pick but if forced to select here, the pick really comes down to Gregory or Ray. They could use o-line help more but I don't think any of this year's crop warrants a #3 overall pick.

Ray has the higher floor and Gregory the higher ceiling. The thing that might scare the Jags (it does me) off of Gregory is that he's already had his knee scoped once and has also had a concussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grahamburn said:
With the first pick in the 2015 NFL draft, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon Ducks

Tampa Bay has been playing musical chairs at the quarterback position since their Super Bowl victory in 2002. The QB’s who have started for the Bucs since Brad Johnson are as follows:

Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, Tim Rattay, Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Mike Glennon, and Josh McCown.

With this list in mind there is no doubt that they will be selecting a QB with the first pick. They can’t justify drafting another position or trading the pick.

Tony Dungy has endorsed Mariota as the next Aaron Rodgers. Dirk Koetter was quickly hired as the offensive coordinator and will install a “four verticals” passing offense in Tampa Bay. This is the exact same type of passing offense currently installed at Oregon. Mark Helfrich, Oregon's head coach, worked side by side with Koetter for 9 seasons. Mark Bajakian, known for his work with spread and run/pass hybrid QB’s, was hired as the QB coach. For these reasons, it does seem like Tampa has made the appropriate acquisitions on the coaching staff to make Mariota as comfortable as possible and will be making the Oregon star the #1 pick overall in 2015.

Mariota’s strengths and weaknesses have been well documented and he will continue to be picked apart throughout the draft process, but I see him as the best option at the position with both the highest ceiling and highest floor.
Too bad we can't trade players in this mock instead of just picks, because I would have offered a mid-round pick to Grahamburn for Glennon since he's now expendable. Sure the kid will never be Joe Montana but he's still not terrible. If I was Cinci I'd probably have pitched a straight up trade of Dalton for him and I bet the real life Bucs would have accepted.

Are we following the Golden Rule of PM'ing the next drafter once you've made your pick?

Also, I know you were waiting for me to move up Andy... But I'm being serious, I will not be moving up, nor will the Browns.

This team is a mess.

Are we following the Golden Rule of PM'ing the next drafter once you've made your pick?

Also, I know you were waiting for me to move up Andy... But I'm being serious, I will not be moving up, nor will the Browns.

This team is a mess.
Yes, PM next after your pick please.

The Browns could move up BECAUSE they're a mess.

Too bad we can't trade players in this mock instead of just picks, because I would have offered a mid-round pick to Grahamburn for Glennon since he's now expendable. Sure the kid will never be Joe Montana but he's still not terrible. If I was Cinci I'd probably have pitched a straight up trade of Dalton for him and I bet the real life Bucs would have accepted.
Bingo..

Remember this when I make my pick(s) in the 1st.

Grahamburn said:
With the first pick in the 2015 NFL draft, The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon Ducks

Tampa Bay has been playing musical chairs at the quarterback position since their Super Bowl victory in 2002. The QB’s who have started for the Bucs since Brad Johnson are as follows:

Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Bruce Gradkowski, Tim Rattay, Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Josh Freeman, Josh Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Mike Glennon, and Josh McCown.

With this list in mind there is no doubt that they will be selecting a QB with the first pick. They can’t justify drafting another position or trading the pick.

Tony Dungy has endorsed Mariota as the next Aaron Rodgers. Dirk Koetter was quickly hired as the offensive coordinator and will install a “four verticals” passing offense in Tampa Bay. This is the exact same type of passing offense currently installed at Oregon. Mark Helfrich, Oregon's head coach, worked side by side with Koetter for 9 seasons. Mark Bajakian, known for his work with spread and run/pass hybrid QB’s, was hired as the QB coach. For these reasons, it does seem like Tampa has made the appropriate acquisitions on the coaching staff to make Mariota as comfortable as possible and will be making the Oregon star the #1 pick overall in 2015.

Mariota’s strengths and weaknesses have been well documented and he will continue to be picked apart throughout the draft process, but I see him as the best option at the position with both the highest ceiling and highest floor.
Yes, the Bucs are now working the phones on Glennon. They should try to package their second with Glennon to move back into the first. I don't know how realistic that is, but a team like Arizona may be interested?

Yes, the Bucs are now working the phones on Glennon. They should try to package their second with Glennon to move back into the first. I don't know how realistic that is, but a team like Arizona may be interested?
I get that you need to keep McCown, but Glennon would make a good backup.

Understand we're not going down this road, but the Titans would be interested in something like 2.01 and a 6th for 2.02 and Glennon. The competition between Mett and Glennon could be interesting.

Glennon is just a guy, guys.
So are half the starting QBs in the league, and since he's still on his rookie deal Glennon is a ####load cheaper than lots of them. Like I said if I was Cinci, I would happily move on from Dalton as a failed experminent since I can't see Glennon being any worse than him.

Even if you looked to the draft to fill a QB vacancy, do you really see anyone in the same general draft range as being THAT much better than Glennon if you traded for him? I'd give you a 4th or something all day long instead of roll the dice on some other random draft QB who may never even make the 53-man roster.

I expect there to be some takers on him. I felt like he showed quite a bit in his rookie season. The Bucs just never gave him a chance once Schiano was gone.

Understand we're not going down this road, but the Titans would be interested in something like 2.01 and a 6th for 2.02 and Glennon. The competition between Mett and Glennon could be interesting.
If there's a tackle they really like who falls I think they'll be trying to get back into the first. There are like 8 guys though who are projected 1st/2nd rounders, so if several of them fall they can just sit tight.

So are half the starting QBs in the league, and since he's still on his rookie deal Glennon is a ####load cheaper than lots of them. Like I said if I was Cinci, I would happily move on from Dalton as a failed experminent since I can't see Glennon being any worse than him.

Even if you looked to the draft to fill a QB vacancy, do you really see anyone in the same general draft range as being THAT much better than Glennon if you traded for him? I'd give you a 4th or something all day long instead of roll the dice on some other random draft QB who may never even make the 53-man roster.
:yes:

off the top of my head, there are 5 or 6 starting QBs Glennon is probably better than.

Andy Dalton certainly has limitations but there's no question in my mind that he's better than Glennon.

And going the reverse direction, nobody would trade FOR Dalton given his contract.

I expect there to be some takers on him. I felt like he showed quite a bit in his rookie season. The Bucs just never gave him a chance once Schiano was gone.

If there's a tackle they really like who falls I think they'll be trying to get back into the first. There are like 8 guys though who are projected 1st/2nd rounders, so if several of them fall they can just sit tight.
If the Niners traded a draft pick for Blaine freaking Gabbert and the Vikes paid Josh Freeman a couple million to put up one of the worst QB performances in history, there would definitely be a market for Glennon.

I'm not saying there's not a market for Glennon.

I'm saying that examples like packaging him with a 2nd to move back into the 1st are not realistic scenarios. That stuff doesn't happen.

It's not remotely the same as Gabbert for a 6th or Freeman as a free agent.

I'm not saying there's not a market for Glennon.

I'm saying that examples like packaging him with a 2nd to move back into the 1st are not realistic scenarios. That stuff doesn't happen.

It's not remotely the same as Gabbert for a 6th or Freeman as a free agent.
At best he goes for a 4th (but the reality is it will likely be later) and I like the guy.

Faust was on the boards this morning but didn't check in here. And his PM box is full.

That vexes me. I'm terribly vexed.

Faust was on the boards this morning but didn't check in here. And his PM box is full.

gah.

he's probably immersed in a news clipping spree too... ready to bust his wad of news all over the forums...

Im sure he'll check in soon. I hope. Cmon Faust, baby!!!! it's offseason and we need you here

He's probably struggling to find a blurb or article he can cut and paste about the guy he wants to take. He's not very good at this internet thing.

THink we can convince Rotoworld to run a blurb directed to Faust?

Faust - FBG Forum Member

The free agent has been making waves with up to the minute player news for some time now.

Some scouts question his c/p times, though we tend to think he's still adjusting to nested quotes.

Faust has already been ruffling feathers in the 2015 Shark Pool Mock Draft thread, after failing

to show on the first day of practice. Moniter this situation closely. The 1st Round talent still has

much to prove.

Andy Dalton certainly has limitations but there's no question in my mind that he's better than Glennon.

And going the reverse direction, nobody would trade FOR Dalton given his contract.
Contract is actually not that big a deal with Dalton - it's year to year after this year - minimal/no cap implications if they cut him. Same sort of deal Kaep got - team friendly.

Having said that the whole premise is bonkers all the way around.

The posty asserted that 1) Dalton is so bad that the Bengals are better off with a totally unproven QB when they are facing a ton of tough defenses next season to lead a team that has been in the playoffs the last 4 years while at the same time 2) Dalton is so good that a team with needs everywhere should trade the #1 overall pick to build around him. :loco:

None of these things are happening though.

Glennon is a guy who gets packaged with a mid-round pick to move up for a better mid-round pick if there's a guy that pops up on the board that Tampa likes. (e.g. Glennon plus 5th rounder for say a 4th rounder).

Back to the draft :) Maybe I should study a little.

-QG

Contract is actually not that big a deal with Dalton - it's year to year after this year - minimal/no cap implications if they cut him. Same sort of deal Kaep got - team friendly.

Having said that the whole premise is bonkers all the way around.

The posty asserted that 1) Dalton is so bad that the Bengals are better off with a totally unproven QB when they are facing a ton of tough defenses next season to lead a team that has been in the playoffs the last 4 years while at the same time 2) Dalton is so good that a team with needs everywhere should trade the #1 overall pick to build around him. :loco:

None of these things are happening though.

Glennon is a guy who gets packaged with a mid-round pick to move up for a better mid-round pick if there's a guy that pops up on the board that Tampa likes. (e.g. Glennon plus 5th rounder for say a 4th rounder).

Back to the draft :) Maybe I should study a little.

-QG
I don't think anyone suggested TB trade the 1.01 for Dalton. If I were the Bengals and saw a chance to get Glennon for cheap I'd probably take it, I suggested maybe a 4th. Even if you keep Dalton I think having an improved backup would be worth the pick and I think Glennon would definitely win at least second position on the depth chart ahead of current backups Jason Campbell and AJ McCarron. Personally I think Dalton is not a sure-fire proposition to outplay Glennon, but understand others don't feel the same way. Dalton's DVOA the last few years has been 2.3 (2013), -5.9 (2012) and 5.6 (2011) and is probably a negative number for 2014, so it's not like Dalton is anything other than JAG himself.

1.04 - Oakland Raiders - Amari Cooper, WR - Alabama

But don't be surprised if he's NOT the first WR taken.

1.05 Randy Gregory, OLB

Washington needs help everywhere, so I don't think they can pass on who seems to be the best player available.

I did that on my own.

The Raiders' defense was certainly awful last year, but at the same time they have a potential impact player at the sport's most important position - QB - and giving him more help should be higher on the priority list.

If they can get a 1/2 punch in this year's draft like they did last year then the could start turning the ship around quickly. I think there's more defensive talent that'll be available at their 2nd pick than there will be WR talent.

1.06 NYJ select - Jameis Winston - Quarterback, Florida State

Truth be told this pick scares me a bit, but it's a risk the team has to take here. Personally I think Winston is a much better prospect than Mariota, but of course bringing that kind of baggage into New York could be a recipe for disaster.

However, the guy lost one game as a starting quarterback, has excellent pocket presence, is accurate, mobile and has shown an ability to read a defense and make progressions. Chan Gailey has made Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Fitzpatrick look like NFL QBs, so he could make Winston into a star. I think having a strong presence at HC in Todd Bowles will help as well.

1.7 Danny Shelton DT 6'2" 345lb U. of Washington

Bears will go Defense here, I believe we will focus on the DLine instead of the secondary. With Fangio here to run the Def I see them making a switch to the 3/4 or at least a hybrid 3/4, and big boy in the middle is key for this transition. Shelton is a beast and will demand double teams all game. I doubt the bears spend money on a FA like Suh or Fairley if they make it to the open market.

Edge rushers like Ray and Gergory would be in the picture if they are available, the other DE/OLB seem like too much of a project to be taken this early.

OTC message sent to siffion

1.8 Atl selects Dante Fowler. DE/OLB Florida

The Falcons defense is abysmal and their pass rush is even worse. Fowler is a guy that new Coach Dan Quinn recruited to Florida, coached him for 1 season there before moving on to the Seahawks. Coach Quinn knows Fowler very well and knows exactly where this kid will fit into his defensive scheme.

The Falcons do have a good amount of cap space to spend in Free Agency, so Fowler probably won't be relied upon to be THE man in his rookie season. This is an easy pick for the new regime.

Message sent to Jetmaxx

With the 9th pick, the NY Giants select Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa

This pick is the perfect selection for the Giants IMO. Protect Eli, giving him time to get the ball to ODB and a mauler for a power run game with Williams. Safest pick, Pro Bowl upside and fills a need as he will fit right in at RT as a rookie. As an opposing NFC East fan I am not happy about this.

With the 9th pick, the NY Giants select Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa

This pick is the perfect selection for the Giants IMO. Protect Eli, giving him time to get the ball to ODB and a mauler for a power run game with Williams. Safest pick, Pro Bowl upside and fills a need as he will fit right in at RT as a rookie. As an opposing NFC East fan I am not happy about this.
They do anything other than this, and the Giants are certified idiots.

Doesnt necessarily have to be Scherff (but it should be)... But o-line 110%

I'm leaving in 20min for a business dinner.

No idea if Blackjack will make his pick anytime soon, but Ill be back around 7 or so with my pick if he (then Andy) does.

Just a heads up

1.11 - Minnesota - Shaq Thompson, Swiss Army Knife - Washington

I know people think they'll upgrade the tackle spot or take a WR but defense is where this team's at. Zimmer would love Thompson's versatility.

1.11 - Minnesota - Shaq Thompson, Swiss Army Knife - Washington

I know people think they'll upgrade the tackle spot or take a WR but defense is where this team's at. Zimmer would love Thompson's versatility.
Dam it :rant:

:banned:

ETA: Had him pegged for Rob Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread