What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 College Football Thread: Hawaiian QB devastated to find out Jesus was "kinda rooting for Georgia" (1 Viewer)

Riley seems to really know what he's doing but I think they should at least give Venables a call and go from there. Might not be an option given how close we are to the season. Timing is definitely weird. There is a news conference at 3, hopefully we will find out more. 

Riley seems to really know what he's doing but I think they should at least give Venables a call and go from there. Might not be an option given how close we are to the season. Timing is definitely weird. There is a news conference at 3, hopefully we will find out more. 
Not saying he would say no, but Venables doesn't have a lot of love for OU anymore. It's been heard around here since he left, also his son Jake is a Clemson commit so I'm not sure he's going to leave for OU.

Weve always heard that the only HC job he wants is KState. 

Not saying he would say no, but Venables doesn't have a lot of love for OU anymore. It's been heard around here since he left, also his son Jake is a Clemson commit so I'm not sure he's going to leave for OU.

Weve always heard that the only HC job he wants is KState. 
Yeah I think you are right. I originally typed I don't think he has an interest in coming back to OU but then deleted it. I think OU probably prefers Riley anyhow, but his lack of experience makes me a little nervous. 

I think it's definitely wishful thinking on the part of Clemson fans to say the only HC job he wants is KState. I'm sure there are quite a few jobs he'd take. Given Snyder's behavior this offseason the KState job may be available sooner rather than later though. 

Yeah I think you are right. I originally typed I don't think he has an interest in coming back to OU but then deleted it. I think OU probably prefers Riley anyhow, but his lack of experience makes me a little nervous. 

I think it's definitely wishful thinking on the part of Clemson fans to say the only HC job he wants is KState. I'm sure there are quite a few jobs he'd take. Given Snyder's behavior this offseason the KState job may be available sooner rather than later though. 
I know we're on borrowed time with him and when he finds what he wants, we'll send him off with a job well done. He's earned whatever he wants in my mind.  Same with Morris before him. 

Ive just read repeatedly that he wants KState.

edit: I think Dabo has been preparing a bit for life after Venables too. He brought on his former roommate Mickey Conn.  Hes an "analyst" at this point, but will likely be a defensive coach if / when NCAA ups the amount of coaches. I think he'd get first crack at D.C. If Venables leaves. 

Also so we do have Jake as a commit - not sure it matters, but doesn't hurt. 

http://247sports.com/Player/Jake-Venables-83914

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are right on that as well, and Clemson pays him a ton so he can be selective. KState could never push Snyder out but it would be a huge mistake to miss out on Venables after completely botching the Underwood situation in bball.  

Bruce Feldman‏Verified account @BruceFeldmanCFB

Lincoln Riley is 33. Bud Wilkinson was 31 when he took over at #OU. Chuck Fairbanks was 34; Barry Switzer was 36 & Bob Stoops was 39

Damn it's hard to hit on a good coach in their 30's.  Oklahoma has been really damn good at it.

@TakiToki your thoughts?
Just shocked at the moment. Probably a coincidence as it stemmed from Durant discussion, but Berry Tramel and Al Eschbach got into a discussion on the radio last week about most shocking local sports stories ever, with them concluding Switzer in 1989 was #1.

That is gonna leave a mark on their recruiting.  Any big names ready to bolt from 2018 OU?

Not sure if Riley is ready for taking over a whole program but it sounds like Stoops will still be around as a special assistant to the AD.  Plus Barry is around and OU has the best continuity of any major program. The president, AD, and Stoops have been together for almost 20 years. 

Cant really complain too much given Riley was on the verge of leaving for a HC job, he's one of the best offensive minds in CFB regardless of age. Should be a seamless transition given all the variables. 

Seriously though, what is the real reason Stoops is doing this right now?

Did he get in any motorcycle accidents lately?
I guess I believe he's just ready to take it easy, the timing is odd though. I would find it more believable if he did this in March / April. 

Seriously though, what is the real reason Stoops is doing this right now?

Did he get in any motorcycle accidents lately?
Bob is mr family. I think everyone wanted to keep Riley around long term, Stoops might have health stuff, he gets to stay with the program, and he's mr family. People say this is another urban Meyer when it might be more like Stoops' mentor Bill Snyder. 

Getting Riley to step in is as good as it could get for OU. I'm sure the HC in waiting shtick failed at other places, but it worked good as gold at fsu and assuming Riley has the same relationship skills with players as Jimbo did then it should be fine. I think sometimes going to another school to start up your own program and sell players on your way of things is 75% of the problem. Both OU admin and the players already know what they're getting here. 

Who knows maybe he's not cut for it and falls on his face, but it's as good as you could do. 

Getting Riley to step in is as good as it could get for OU. I'm sure the HC in waiting shtick failed at other places, but it worked good as gold at fsu and assuming Riley has the same relationship skills with players as Jimbo did then it should be fine. I think sometimes going to another school to start up your own program and sell players on your way of things is 75% of the problem. Both OU admin and the players already know what they're getting here. 

Who knows maybe he's not cut for it and falls on his face, but it's as good as you could do. 
I'd rather they go that way than to try to bring in an established coach. If they can keep guys like Gundy around, they'll be fine. The problem comes if they bolt.

I'd rather they go that way than to try to bring in an established coach. If they can keep guys like Gundy around, they'll be fine. The problem comes if they bolt.
Even if Stoops does coach again it isn't going to be this year, and it probably won't be next either.  So you have him around for two years as a mentor and someone who can help with the overall program.  OU has had the same AD for 20 years, the same President for 23 years and thus a great deal of stability.  I have no question Riley will be able to prepare the team for games, but even though he's called the plays for two years, managing the entire game is different. 

He does have Mike Stoops there who has HC experience and knows the program as well as anyone, and Gundy who I would guess would be the OC.  Or do they get someone else to come in and call the plays?  Not sure but he's 33 and it seems like calling the plays would be pretty damn tough.  How all that is managed this year will be the most interesting thing.  I wish Stoops would have just coached ne more year and then did this, but I can't really fault a guy for stepping down for whatever reason.  He's earned that respect. 

But I don't think this impacts OU recruiting negatively, and kids are gonna want to play for Riley because his offense is pretty impressive.  They do have a top ten team this coming year however, and Riley is gonna have really big expectations right away. 

There's no way to know how it will affect recruiting until he actually does it. Recruiting is freaking hard. I think it's harder than being a game coach in college. Look at the difficulties premier jobs like Michigan and Florida have had. Not great timing either with Herman getting started. 

It's an interesting side plot to this season. 

I thought I heard speculation on the radio that since his twin sons are HS seniors, he wants to watch them play this season. I think Gene Chizik did the same when he left Auburn.

There's no way to know how it will affect recruiting until he actually does it. Recruiting is freaking hard. I think it's harder than being a game coach in college. Look at the difficulties premier jobs like Michigan and Florida have had. Not great timing either with Herman getting started. 

It's an interesting side plot to this season. 
Sure but it's not like they are changing the staff, Cale Gundy is the recruiting coordinator so it's not like they are starting over.  That's important IMO and why I think it will have zero impact on recruiting unless the on field product stinks. 

bigmarc27 said:
I guess I believe he's just ready to take it easy, the timing is odd though. I would find it more believable if he did this in March / April. 
Timing is odd, but given the culture at OU and its stability, it probably won't hurt all that much.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/california-law-banning-state-travel-sets-dangerous-sports-precedent/

The state of California recently banned travel using taxpayer money to eight states — Alabama, Texas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Mississippi and Kansas — because the state of California believes each state has passed laws that discriminate against LGBTQ people.

Under this law UCLA would not be able to travel to Texas A&M to play a football game and UCLA wouldn’t be able to travel to Kentucky for a basketball game. Even crazier, UCLA and Cal would not be able to play in the national title semifinal for football in Texas in 2018 or many of the NCAA tourney locations. In fact, neither UCLA, Cal nor any other state of California team would be able to play in the first or second round of the NCAA tournament if seeded for games in Nashville, TN, Wichita, KS, Dallas, TX, or Charlotte, NC. That’s half of the NCAA tournament sites in 2018.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDSPHMuXoAA02xC.jpg

This is pretty crazy.

They'll end up just doing some tricky accounting and the travel will come from booster money that gets corrected on the back-end. 

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/california-law-banning-state-travel-sets-dangerous-sports-precedent/

The state of California recently banned travel using taxpayer money to eight states — Alabama, Texas, South Dakota, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Mississippi and Kansas — because the state of California believes each state has passed laws that discriminate against LGBTQ people.

Under this law UCLA would not be able to travel to Texas A&M to play a football game and UCLA wouldn’t be able to travel to Kentucky for a basketball game. Even crazier, UCLA and Cal would not be able to play in the national title semifinal for football in Texas in 2018 or many of the NCAA tourney locations. In fact, neither UCLA, Cal nor any other state of California team would be able to play in the first or second round of the NCAA tournament if seeded for games in Nashville, TN, Wichita, KS, Dallas, TX, or Charlotte, NC. That’s half of the NCAA tournament sites in 2018.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDSPHMuXoAA02xC.jpg

This is pretty crazy.
Why would they use taxpayer money and not AA revenue?

Why would they use taxpayer money and not AA revenue?
Not sure specifically about these teams, but UCLA and Cal aren't breaking attendance records and with title 9 a lot of athletic departments need the school to cover the cost.  -Yes RL quoted first, but I am finishing typing!

The article doesn't state what the specific laws are that California finds discriminatory. I would like to know what those are. I can accept this idea in principle but only if the discrimination was clear cut, blatant and obvious. I'm guessing it is not. 

FTR, I don't have any problem with California deciding that it doesn't want its public money spent it places it believes discriminate.

I find it telling that the author of that article made a states rights argument for the states with discriminatory laws, but doesn't apply that same logic to California's right to determine how its tax money is spent.

His interstate commerce argument seems asinine. CA isn't outlawing schools from travelling to those states. Just saying the won't use taxpayer money to do it.

Please god this is one of the last politics #####ing-and-whining free threads left on this stupid site.  Can we just keep it that way?
Usually I would agree wholeheartedly with this, but this actually affects college football and the article came from a sports media site.

Really I just thought that article was crap and wanted to point that out rather than get into a long political debate.

Last edited by a moderator:
link

Is this what it's all gonna come down to?  4 16 team conferences that have their own 4 team playoff that ultimately create a 16 team playoff bracket for the NC?

link

Is this what it's all gonna come down to?  4 16 team conferences that have their own 4 team playoff that ultimately create a 16 team playoff bracket for the NC?
No.  At least not until Texas decides to break up the Big 12 but even then conferences aren't adding teams just for sake of getting to 16

No.  At least not until Texas decides to break up the Big 12 but even then conferences aren't adding teams just for sake of getting to 16
I'm not necessarily talking about next season, but it seems like this would set up a 16 team bracket nicely and make everybody involved a whole bunch of money.  Even if it's not the Oklahoma teams, if the SEC does this, everyone else would soon follow I think.

I'm not necessarily talking about next season, but it seems like this would set up a 16 team bracket nicely and make everybody involved a whole bunch of money.  Even if it's not the Oklahoma teams, if the SEC does this, everyone else would soon follow I think.
The ACC would add Notre Dame full time as a 15th.  They aren't adding a 16th (Navy, UConn, etc...) to share money with just for the sake of doing it.  Conferences aren't setup for nice brackets.

The ACC would add Notre Dame full time as a 15th.  They aren't adding a 16th (Navy, UConn, etc...) to share money with just for the sake of doing it.  Conferences aren't setup for nice brackets.
I'm not really disagreeing with you, just thinking about the possibilities.  Seems to me that a 16 team playoff would be huge and would increase the size of the pie to be split substantially.  It would make sharing a little easier to do.  This would also remove the committee, the rankings, computers or what have you completely wouldn't it?  Is that bad?

Users who are viewing this thread