What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 SSL1 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Cousins, Kirk WAS QB 5

Manning, Eli NYG QB 8

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB 9

Pairing these guys up from last year 33, 32, 26, 45, 43, 38, 29, 35, 36, 39, 37, 41, 26, 24, 22, 35, 20.  Hopefully what will make this work is their tendency to post huge weeks multiple times a year rather than a consistent 200/2 line.  3 unique bye weeks.  Grade A+

Johnson, David ARI RB 8

Miller, Lamar HOU RB 7

Sims, Charles TBB RB 11

Yeldon, T.J. JAC RB 8

A bad week for DJ is 17 pts.  He's basically 1.5 RBs.  Not a huge Miller fan but couldn't resist him at the 2.16/3.1 turn.  He had 10 double digits weeks.  Took Sims for his receipt potential.  Ditto Yeldon as Mr. Irrelevant who Dodds has as RB50.  Basically stop gaps for byes and injuries to at least post 5 pts over a donut.  Feels like a Grade B+

Brown, John ARI WR 8

Funchess, Devin CAR WR 11

Gabriel, Taylor ATL WR 5

Landry, Jarvis MIA WR 11

Sanu, Mohamed ATL WR 5

Wallace, Mike BAL WR 10

Here's where i took the hit for 3 QBs.  Survive and advance was the goal.  Landry is a very low end WR1.  Wallace a low end WR2 with occasional pop.  I see Brown as a middle WR3.  Between Sanu/Gabriel I should get a decent WR3 weekly.  Funchess was a hope an prayer.  Grade F+

Miller, Zach CHI TE 9

Rudolph, Kyle MIN TE 9

Finishes last year as TE7 and TE4 on a ppg basis.  I feel like I got great value taking them at TE8 and TE29.  Unfortunately they are both off week 9.  Grade B

Bailey, Dan DAL PK 6

Only could afford one.  No one else shares his bye.  Grade C-

Buccaneers, Tampa Bay TBB Def 11

Titans, Tennessee TEN Def 8

Two middle of the road defenses.  Grade C

This is going to be a fun team to follow.  I'll live or die by my WR production.  No glaring holes so I should hang around for some time.  Probably don't have the WR pop to win a title.

Well, my Draft got off to as good a start as I could have hoped, but the when BNB upended the Draft with his unorthodox maneuvering, I wound up on the wrong end of the manufactured QB run. I attempted to wright the ship by trying to start a D/ST run in Round 10, then watched in dismay as another one didn't go off the board until the mid-11th and the run didn't start until much later. Hell, the PK run started before it, which I don't recall being the case in prior years either...

Picking at 11, I expected to draft a WR in Rd 1, so I was pleasantly surprised when Melvin Gordon was available. When opportunity meets value in my drafts this year, I'm going to be looking at several pieces of the Chargers offense. ppr, start 2 rb, no flex, bellcow-type 3-down RB are at a premium, and I was happy to anchor my squad with one who's arrow is pointing up, especially with the commitment they appear to have made to the O-line. Have him on a tier with McCoy and Freeman just behind the Big 3. Like his offense the best. Coming back, I wanted an anchor WR, but I gave a long look at Jay Ajayi before pulling the trigger on Dez Bryant. Just such a long wait between 2.06 and 3.11, I didn't have the nuts to see my 1st WR be in the WR 30 range, but I'm very optimistic about Adam Gase and having a pair of RB like that, and playing best ball with 6 middle-round upside WR was a very tempting play. Year to year, football is all about offseason evaluation and adaptation. Teams have plenty of film on Dak. Saw it happen here at home with RG3. While maybe not a superior athelete compared to an in-his-prime Griffin, I think Prescott is a superior QB, rather than a superior athelete playing QB. Therefore, I think we will see an increase in the downfield passing game for the 2017 Cowboys, and I'm high on Dez. getting back to being Dez after a 2-year hiatus. How can you not stack the box with Prescott/Elliot staring at you from behind that line. Dez vs a bare-bones secondary? Child's play. I sat there watching Jimmy Graham fall to me in the 3rd, and then poof, he was gone at 3.09. After seeing a lot of the same-tier WR available with only 10 picks between 3.11 and 4.06, I thought back to when I could have taken Ajayi to pair with Gordon, saw Ingram available, and chased the fairy. One day, I'll learn, but not today. I'm enamoured with Mark Ingram, and I'm completely :shuked: by the idea that Payton/SaintsO/Ingram can't seem to riff together and make sweet music. Maybe this year...up until yesterday, I was holding out hope he'd be the lead dog in Philly, but with them signing Blount, I guess that's out the window. There's just too much production generated by that Saints offense for me to stay away, so I'm in, because I have to be right one of these years...right? Looking back at how things played out, I could have taken Tyreek Hill (I love gadget guys) here,and Ty Montgomery at RB at 4.06, and that would have been a unique look for best ball...I follow the Redskins especially close, and I'm very fixated on this idea of Cousing/Pryor basically on 1-season auditions for their next big contracts. They're already reported to be joined at the hip, and I think they possess game that compliments each other very well, so Terrelle Pryor was the only player I considered at 4.06, with my 2 RB spots already filled, and my feeling that TE's would still remain at 5.11, which wound up being the case. Pleasant surprise would be an understatement, landing Delanie Walker late in the 5th. I think the addition of Cory Davis only helps him. Walker is going to have plenty of space to work in, and I think Mariota is going to pepper him with targets.

Gordon/Ingram/Dez/Pryor/Delanie - my predicitons could be way off base, but the way they are now, I think I got off to an amazing start. Well, I was amazed, at least.

Have to go for now. Tune in later for: Johnny takes Tyrell, and calamity ensues when a Bass Turd's mischief causes the whole thing to go sideways!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinkin Ref said:
does somebody taking one extra QB in the middle of the draft really screw things up that bad.....?...lol...imo you kind of have to have be prepared for #### like that....especially at QB if drafting on or towards the ends.....

imo...we can all usually find our way through the trees if somebody snags an extra defense or 3rd TE.....but when it comes to QB you can't really #### around....you kind of have two choices on or near the ends....take a stud early and then wait awhile.....or be prepared to go back to back with a couple of your turn picks starting in about round 5.....if you choose the second option, you pretty much have to commit to it...you can't half ### it....because if one or two guys do take that third guy....you can get caught with your #### in your hand....we really have no one to blame but ourselves because we know #### like that can happen and then the result if it does....

nittany in your situation you really have nobody to blame but yourself.....even if Bass didn't take the third QB.....waiting until 7.11 is probably too late to at least not have one on board already.....if at the other end of the draft, i think you can sometimes be ok waiting until the 7th....you got greedy at your 5-6 picks....especially your 6th (didn't like the Willams pick there to begin with, but thats a different topic)....QB's starting going right after your Williams pick there....most of those guys between your 6th and 7th picks were probably going to commit their next two picks to QB even if Bass doesn't take his third....if you take a QB instead of Willams, you are probably in good shape and the Bass thing isn't even an issue....if you look back in the history of these things I don't think there was really a "manufactured QB run" by Bass...the timing for people to start snagging their second as part of a non stud combo usually happens in that area anyway....just my  :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just 5 Picks into my diatribe; plenty more to say about all this before I'm done, but more on that later. For now I will address one point you just made that's absolutely valid: the selection of Tyrell Williams at 6.06. Obviously, our opinions differ about him, and it is what it is. If I have one flaw as a Drafter, and it came into play here, sometimes I can't resist taking something I want off the board, without keeping in mind that I may be in the minority, and sometimes the extreme minority about that player. Tyrell Williams is an excellent example. Coming out of the NFL Draft, and especially with this Draft being so close to the conclusion of that one, Tyrell's stock is no doubt lower than it was prior to the Chargers adding Mike Williams. I have two minority opinions in regard to that: A): the Chargers know more than any other Team about Keenan Allen, and they've already consigned themselves to the fact that he's unreliable, and were dedicated to putting a contingency plan in place. Therefore, in my mind, adding Mike has less to do with Tyrell than it has to do with KA. B): I think Tyrell Williams is the next Brandon Marshall, and will begin evolving into that WR this upcoming Season. I think I got a #1 Fantasy WR at 6.06, and if I'm right, that's tremendous value. Problem is, I'm likely one of only a few people who participated in this Draft that thinks one of those things, if not both. The problem is, drafting with you guys, I have a hard time thinking that way, because we're all hardcore FF veterans, and it was a looong stretch between 6.06 and 7.11, and I had to have my guy when I had to have him. It's very likely had I taken a QB at 6.06, Tyrell still would have been there at 7.11, given the context above, and I should have held off...however, at 6.06 the only QB's off the board were the kind you generally see people take 1 early and wait, and I organize by tiers/buckets and there were so many of the same QB remaining that when I ran through the Teams, Rosters and available QB's, I guessed (wrongly) that at least 1 QB in my next two buckets would be available 20 picks later. It's not just Bass taking 3 elite-to-upper-tier QB1's in 3 rounds, (certainly Eli would have been taken prior to 7.11 by someone else, and pushed 1 more QB further down the Draft), it's also the behavior that ensued in the aftermath where other Owners who might have waited longer chose instead to take their 2nd early, and perhaps selected a 'better' QB2 than they otherwise would have. That's why I refer to the run as 'manufactured' - because I think the 6/7 turn caused 7.02-7.10 to play out differently than it otherwise might have. TBH, when I ran my projections as to what might occur between 6.07 and 7.10, I was targeting Ryan Tannehill as my QB1, because he's my current upside favorite play, being a very strong believer in Adam Gase. Unfortunately, things didn't unfold the way I had projected they would. Then Flacco, Bortles, Palmer, ASmith all going before 8.06 sealed my fate. If I felt the same way about Bradford then as I do today, I probably would have taken him as my QB2 at 8.06, but at the time, I wasn't seeing him as clearly as I do now. C'est la vie...

I get the love for Tyrell, I owned him a ton last year in home leagues.....but I'm gonna call it kind of a hangover love....it actually reminds me a lot of the love Keenan Allen gave owners when he was a beast down the stretch a few years ago...I think it was 2013 (and albeit on not a high volume of catches) he helped many guys win championships..... and then they just couldn't let go the next year....thinking he was the next bag of chips....injury or not, he hasn't really lived up to that 6 or so game stretch that he had....and honestly I'm still a little baffled at the ADP love he gets, although the talent does seem to be there.....(he was destroying my Chiefs last year before getting hurt)....but anyway 

you definitely could have gotten TW at 7.11 and most likely at 8.06.....I'd venture to say I'd bet you could have gotten him at  8.06....because while I get the love.....Allen is back and Mike Williams and two pretty good TE's are in the picture.....and honestly, I was kind of impressed by the way Inman played last year as well, seemed to have something going with Rivers and I think they resigned him as well.... anyway....I kind of agree your love led you astray here from a drafting perspective....and while I think the "next Brandon Marshall" thing might be a little over the top....I think the talent may in fact be there, but not sure the situation will play along....sorry, long way of saying I think you really pooped the bed with that pick and you would have liked your team a lot better if you went QB there.....cause you still could have had your boy later.....while Bass's pick may have added a little sense of urgency to the QB run there.....I think it was still going to happen for the most part and you were still staring at the same tier of guys (probably still rolling the dice that Tanny makes it back to you)...and as you said, the guys drafting after your Taylor pick sealed your fate....which you also knew was probably coming....anyway, good stuff, good to hear/discuss some different perspectives....I know I've been on the wrong of this kind of thing before....

Bortles, Blake JAC QB
Ryan, Matt ATL QB

Freeman, Devonta ATL RB
Hunt, Kareem KCC RB (R)
McKinnon, Jerick MIN RB
Perkins, Paul NYG RB

Adams, Davante GBP WR
Coleman, Corey CLE WR
Cooper, Amari OAK WR
Perriman, Breshad BAL WR
Richardson, Paul SEA WR
Woods, Robert LAR WR

Green, Ladarius PIT TE 
Henry, Hunter LAC TE

Dawson, Phil ARI PK
Gould, Robbie SFO PK

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def
Falcons, Atlanta ATL Def

Bortles, Blake JAC QB
Ryan, Matt ATL QB

Freeman, Devonta ATL RB
Hunt, Kareem KCC RB (R)
McKinnon, Jerick MIN RB
Perkins, Paul NYG RB

Adams, Davante GBP WR
Coleman, Corey CLE WR
Cooper, Amari OAK WR
Perriman, Breshad BAL WR
Richardson, Paul SEA WR
Woods, Robert LAR WR

Green, Ladarius PIT TE 
Henry, Hunter LAC TE

Dawson, Phil ARI PK
Gould, Robbie SFO PK

49ers, San Francisco SFO Def
Falcons, Atlanta ATL Def
Ladarius getting released has to hurt your TE depth some. I don't know what his health is like right now. If he does get healthy I suppose he could end up in a decent situation later on.

Brown, John ARI WR 8

Funchess, Devin CAR WR 11

Gabriel, Taylor ATL WR 5

Landry, Jarvis MIA WR 11

Sanu, Mohamed ATL WR 5

Wallace, Mike BAL WR 10

Here's where i took the hit for 3 QBs.  Survive and advance was the goal.  Landry is a very low end WR1.  Wallace a low end WR2 with occasional pop.  I see Brown as a middle WR3.  Between Sanu/Gabriel I should get a decent WR3 weekly.  Funchess was a hope an prayer.  Grade F+
Given the hole you dug yourself into at the position I think you turned out OK. You can cobble surprisingly respectable scores in best-ball just from combos of slot guys, big-body RZ targets, and deep threats - the former gives you your floor, the latter two your ceiling.

Landry will count just about every week for you (only 4 single-digit scores last season) so you really just need 2 of the other 5 names to come up with a jump-ball TD or a 50-yard catch-and-run each week, and you've got a pretty good who's who of high-variance guys to make that happen.

IMO what might ultimately put the nail in your coffin is pairing the two Falcons. I know they were the #1 pass offense last year, but with only one PPR guy to fall back on I feel like you need to be maximizing variance across the other names - not sure that picking teammates is the best way to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread