What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 SSL1 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Somehow this has become my risk taking team.  Gronk's health, cam returning to 2015, crowder developing, RBs from horrible teams, and a "conditionally reinstated" receiver.  Could be good or could crash quick.

It's surprising that no qb was taken between 5.01 and 6.07, iirc that was usually the time they would come off the board. 
I might have a problem when my risk mitigation strategy involves Andy Dalton.  Was hoping Eli or stafford would fall. 

My initial suspicion was that the advantage of 3 good-to-great QBs at a start-1 position would be marginal vs. having just 2. On a lark, I went back 3 years and looked at the weekly best-ball score for a pair of low-end top-10 QBs (I used each combination from QB5-QB9, so ten total), and the incremental benefit of adding a 3rd QB in the QB11-16 range to each of those pairs:

2016 - Range of 33-55 added points, average 40.9 (2.4 ppg)

2015 - Range of 25-81 added points, average 39.4 (2.3 ppg)

2014 - Range of 29-88 added points, average 39.8 (2.3 ppg)

That's ... pretty underwhelming, especially compared to the opportunity cost of that 7th-rounder.

As to the domino effect ... IMO that'll probably be pretty limited because this league format pretty narrowly constrains rosterable QB demand (I don't get penalized if my backup QB isn't a Week 1 starter, and if I like living on the wild side, I don't even need to draft one at all).

But enough from me! Let's get an opinion from someone with experience on the matter ...  :lmao:
This review is remarkable and I have to admit that I expected a larger number of points added. I do also think that he lowered a few teams quarterback output and likely caused some of the teams with weaker quarterbacks (like me) to consider drafting three also due to the lower scoring of the lower tiered quarterbacks as well as bye week troubles (me here too).

Another by product of the strategy Bass employed is a significant increase in the draft discussion thread, which is always good to see.

Hey, now. Wait just a minute. Ive been doing these since damn near the beginning and I dont recall ever seeing someone take 3 qb because IIRC its not allowed unless theres been a rule change I missed. I did some pretty serious draft altering calculus passing on qb for tyrell williams at 6.6 over a qb and now it looks like im getting screwed.

2qb 4rb 5wr 2te 2d/st 2pk and 1 rb/wr/te, as far back as 8 can remember.

Which isn't  saying much...so what gives?
yeah I think you are totally confusing this with Anarchy leagues....never been any position limits in survivors.....

My initial suspicion was that the advantage of 3 good-to-great QBs at a start-1 position would be marginal vs. having just 2. On a lark, I went back 3 years and looked at the weekly best-ball score for a pair of low-end top-10 QBs (I used each combination from QB5-QB9, so ten total), and the incremental benefit of adding a 3rd QB in the QB11-16 range to each of those pairs:

2016 - Range of 33-55 added points, average 40.9 (2.4 ppg)

2015 - Range of 25-81 added points, average 39.4 (2.3 ppg)

2014 - Range of 29-88 added points, average 39.8 (2.3 ppg)

That's ... pretty underwhelming, especially compared to the opportunity cost of that 7th-rounder.

As to the domino effect ... IMO that'll probably be pretty limited because this league format pretty narrowly constrains rosterable QB demand (I don't get penalized if my backup QB isn't a Week 1 starter, and if I like living on the wild side, I don't even need to draft one at all).

But enough from me! Let's get an opinion from someone with experience on the matter ...  :lmao:
holy cow...I thought I was a nut about these leagues.....big boy league and I'm on the JV baby!......

This review is remarkable and I have to admit that I expected a larger number of points added. I do also think that he lowered a few teams quarterback output and likely caused some of the teams with weaker quarterbacks (like me) to consider drafting three also due to the lower scoring of the lower tiered quarterbacks as well as bye week troubles (me here too).
Valid points and it looks like he did inspire a run of sorts so I can't give BnB as much crap as I was hoping to.

I used to be a fan of the "beggar thy neighbor" strategy in these, but it seems like almost without exception every SL winner is among the top 3-4 point scorers. I'd rather spend my mid-round picks building towards that total than trying to kneecap a handful of other owners.

holy cow...I thought I was a nut about these leagues.....big boy league and I'm on the JV baby!......
:lol:  I do a data dump of the MFL season totals every year to a Google doc which I reference for the SL drafts ... in another one of those eleventy-four tabs I remembered I had a formula I used a couple years ago to investigate what benefit you got from 2 PKs vs. 1 that I spent about 3 minutes re-purposing ...

Fortunately (?) Google never forgets anything ...  :ph34r:

Bummer that drafting at mfl makes it more efficient.but kinda kills the chatter 
From an outsiders point of view I kinda like what Sweet Love, BTSWB, and BSS have going so far.....probably in that order....sweet love wr's are rock solid combined with L Bell will be a tough out each week....and if Fournette is the real deal this thing could be over already...

Stinkin Ref said:
From an outsiders point of view I kinda like what Sweet Love, BTSWB, and BSS have going so far.....probably in that order....sweet love wr's are rock solid combined with L Bell will be a tough out each week....and if Fournette is the real deal this thing could be over already...
Thanks, @Stinkin Ref.  Typically, I try to be as risk adverse as possible in these things (you don't have to have the highest score each week, just not the lowest), and I think my team will go the way Fournette does.  I am chasing last year's ghost in Zeke...Around this time, Zeke was a 2nd-3rd rounder, and quickly went up the boards by the start of the season...no clue if that holds true for Fournette,, but hoping I am buying a little low on him now, hoping for good things. 

I will say, I am a little hosed when it comes to TE, so I need to piece something together with that position.

Feel like I dodged a bullet

QB - Cousins, Manning, Big Ben

RB - D. Johnson, L. Miller

WR - Landry, Wallace, J. Brown

TE - Rudolph

Lagging, but serviceable WRs.

Qb. Stafford winston

Wr mike evans. Demaryious thomas. Kelvin benjamin. Kevin white

Rb . Beast mode. Mike gillislee

Te jordan reed

Last edited by a moderator:
So what do we think of lynch in oakland after a year off??
I'm expecting him to be pretty solid, and don't see the year off as an issue. I think there will be times where he will dominate some games behind that line and he should get the goal line stuff.  My only concern is that I like Richard/Washington and wonder if they will see some of the looks in the red zone (outside the 5) or on the plus side of the 50 where OAK may look to spread it out a little.  

So what do we think of lynch in oakland after a year off??
Top 5 back in std.  Not sure about ppr yet.
:2cents:

I think that's overly optimistic.  Yes he looks healthy right now and AD did pretty well after returning, from an injury, but Lynch didn't look like a top 5 RB in 2015 in the games he played.  Raiders OL might be better than the hawks was, but I don't see top 5 RB here - I see similar stats to Frank Gore, so a RB1 sure.  That's assuming health and motivation. 

I have to admit, I don't like my team. 

QB: Candy
RB: Dr. Jordan and Mr. Hyde 
WR: BryCroDecMatt
TE: Gronkowski, Witten - Gratin (like potatoes)

QB - Cousins, Manning, Big Ben

RB - D. Johnson, L. Miller

WR - Landry, Wallace, J. Brown, Sanu, Gabriel

TE - Rudolph

Sanu and Gabriel were the most recent picks.  In a vacuum I liked several other players more than Gabriel, such as Ginn.  I was looking for some low risk weekly proaction out of my WR4 spot since I have boom/bust guys like Wallace and Brown.  The Sanu/Gabriel combo should guarantee me some points each week and they don't share a bye with my top 3 WRs.  The Atlanta offense will have to put up points to compete with their schedule this year.

When I secured my 3rd QB, I only had one WR.  While my WRs will be in the lower half of the league, they aren't so bad that I'm a dead man walking.

I guess it's probably too late to do anything about it, but I did not mean to draft Ginn. Been trying to do this draft on my phone while on vacation. MFL mobile interface is ****ing awful. I didn't even see Ginn on my predraft list, much less at the top of it. GD it, MFL.

I guess it's probably too late to do anything about it, but I did not mean to draft Ginn. Been trying to do this draft on my phone while on vacation. MFL mobile interface is ****ing awful. I didn't even see Ginn on my predraft list, much less at the top of it. GD it, MFL.
If it's any consolation, MFL put him on Bloom's roster.

He's actually a great pick for you there.  WR 2/3 in NO should garner big numbers.  I'd have to revert the draft to give the guys after you a fair shot at him.  I will do that if you speak up soon that you want to do that.

If it's any consolation, MFL put him on Bloom's roster.

He's actually a great pick for you there.  WR 2/3 in NO should garner big numbers.  I'd have to revert the draft to give the guys after you a fair shot at him.  I will do that if you speak up soon that you want to do that.
 Yeah, I saw someone else drafted him via text which is why I didn't notice that he was on my team until I happened to check the website. Figured my team just got left off the text and I had drafted the top guy on my list since no one else had drafted him.

Yeah, I saw someone else drafted him via text which is why I didn't notice that he was on my team until I happened to check the website. Figured my team just got left off the text and I had drafted the top guy on my list since no one else had drafted him.
sorry i saw a youre on the clock email, clicked the link, picked. i hope ginn works out for you :bag:  some weird snafu where mfl thought i was on the clock lol

OZ / FUBAR
PLAYER        BYE    DRAFTED
Dalton, Andy CIN QB    6    7.10
Newton, Cam CAR QB 11    6.07
Howard, Jordan CHI RB 9    2.07
Hyde, Carlos SFO RB 11    3.10
Prosise, C.J. SEA RB 6    11.10
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR  9    5.10
Crowder, Jamison WAS WR    5    4.07
Decker, Eric NYJ WR  11    8.07
Matthews, Rishard TEN WR    8    9.10
Gronkowski, Rob NEP TE   9    1.10
Witten, Jason DAL TE     6    10.07
Prater, Matt DET PK     7    13.10
Chiefs, Kansas City KCC Def     10    12.07

Alright, I no longer hate the team but I don't particularly like it either. I guess that's the price for taking TE early. 

I can get 3 serviceable scores out of Bryant/Crowder/Decker/Matthews each week I think (FWIW, I think Rishard is undervalued right now, at least for early in the season).  But what will Seattle do with their backfield?  If Witten can get one more decent year, he will probably be my flex most weeks. 

Draft order needs to be change this round. I can't do it from my phone. If someone doesn't get to it first I will do it later tonight. When he gets changed be where of sweet love getting errands pickDraft order needs to be change this round. I can't do it from my phone. If someone doesn't get to it first I will do it later tonight. When he gets changed be where of sweet love getting errands pick

sorry i saw a youre on the clock email, clicked the link, picked. i hope ginn works out for you :bag:  some weird snafu where mfl thought i was on the clock lol
Oh snap, so that's what happened!! I knew I didn't select Ginn, but I was starting to doubt myself. After carefully using MFL's clunkly mobile site to predraft I didn't trust it, so I thought I double checked the results of my predrafting effort, yet I still somehow ended up with Ginn. Maybe you did me a favor - BNB seems to like him. Time will tell. FWIW, I wanted Hurns much more than I wanted Ginn (I predrafted 4 WRs and Ginn wasn't one). 

Hey guys, can someone select (or tell me how to input) Josh Lambo K for my 16th round pick?  I had my predrafts loaded, and they got selected...so sorry about that.

QB - Stafford winston

WR - mike evans. Demaryious thomas. Kelvin benjamin. Kevin white laquon treadwell terrance williams

RB - Beast mode. Mike gillislee Darren sproles Thomas rawls

TE - jordan reed gerald everett

K - Stephen Gostkowski ryan succop

Def - Houston Texans Green bay packers

QB: Andrew Luck QB IND (11), Phillip Rivers QB SD (9)

RB: Ezekiel Elliot RB DAL (6), Frank Gore RB IND (11), Jamaal Williams RB GB (8), Jalen Richard RB OAK (10)

WR: Allen Robinson WR JAC (8), Jeremy Maclin WR KC (10), Cameron Meredith WR CHI (9), Will Fuller WR HOU (7), Curtis Samuel WR CAR (11), Marquise Goodwin WR SF (11)

TE: Zach Ertz TE PHI (10), Juluis Thomas TE MIA (11)

PK: Cairo Santos PK KC (10), Brandon McManus PK DEN (5)

DT: Baltimore Ravens DEF (10), Cincinnati Bengals DEF (6)

Users who are viewing this thread