What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 Streaming Defenses (1 Viewer)

People streaming defenses is becoming more common.  If you don't stay ahead of it you are not going to get the prime matchup. 
I have no issues streaming defenses at all but I will never draft two of them.  That's just a wasted roster spot for me.  When I need to stream I just pick up who I need off waivers.

I have no issues streaming defenses at all but I will never draft two of them.  That's just a wasted roster spot for me.  When I need to stream I just pick up who I need off waivers.
I can't say you are wrong. You have to balance the opportunity cost. For me, the opportunity cost is someone like DeAndre Washington sitting on waivers. There are other similar players on waivers. Sure, I could miss out if Lynch goes down and he becomes the main guy (not even guaranteed). But I need to score points too so I'm OK to roll with 2 defenses in order to stay ahead and always have a likely top 5 matchup each week. 

that being said, I'd certainly bail on the 2nd spot if there was a waiver player I just had to have at any point.

I can't say you are wrong. You have to balance the opportunity cost. For me, the opportunity cost is someone like DeAndre Washington sitting on waivers. There are other similar players on waivers. Sure, I could miss out if Lynch goes down and he becomes the main guy (not even guaranteed). But I need to score points too so I'm OK to roll with 2 defenses in order to stay ahead and always have a likely top 5 matchup each week. 

that being said, I'd certainly bail on the 2nd spot if there was a waiver player I just had to have at any point.
I don't mind having two defense on my team during the season but when I draft it's anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks before the first game.  I want to have as many RBs and WRs on my team as possible in case and injury or major change happens.  I don't want to risk them being on waivers.  It's much easier for me to replace a defense during the season than it is that big RB or WR, those are the guys that win championships for teams.

Took Carolina as my second last pick. Decent start to season...@SF, BUF, NO. Might not need to stream if they do well enough.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it but I'm on bills defense week 1 for streaming. Jets legit might go 0-16. They had their starters in the last preseason game against the birds and struggled greatly and almost got their starting qb injured. Don't believe the bills defense is great but could easily see 2 picks, maybe 1 for a pick-6, and a few sacks. 

Got the Steelers in both leagues but I don't think they're even a streaming defense. I think they'll be start worthy all year. Also have buffalo for week 1.

In one league I have LAR & ARZ (first 4 weeks: LAR vs. IND, ARZ @IND, LAR @SF, ARZ vs. SF). If things looks good for the Cardinals D I might just stick with them the rest of the way.

In another league I have PIT (first 5 weeks: @CLE, MIN, @CHI, @BAL, JAX).

Am I crazy to think SF could be a top 5 FF D this season? They have looked great in preseason. Got a bunch of young players who are looking legit. And have an PC-Quinn disciple at HC. 

Obviously the offense is gonna be average at best, but could lead to a lot of ugly, crapfest low-scoring games.

Seems like there are always 2-3 bottom 5-10 Ds that turn it around to become top Ds every year, so doesn't seem that crazy. Or does it???  :loco:

Thoughts on Minnesota Def? Missed my draft and ended up with them. Was considering dropping for Rams Def.

I know nothing about Minnesota. Can someone enlighten me?  Not a fan of the Wk1 match up with NO. 

I'm rethinking the Carolina D this week. With the way the SF offense was clicking in that third preseason game and the fact that Hoyer threw exactly zero interceptions in his six games for the Bears last year I just am not liking this matchup at SF that much. I'm a Carolina homer as well. Leaning towards the Falcons or Bills.

3 leagues took Steelers, Panthers and Rams off of the free agent pool. Doubt will ever have as good a week again 

I'm rethinking the Carolina D this week. With the way the SF offense was clicking in that third preseason game and the fact that Hoyer threw exactly zero interceptions in his six games for the Bears last year I just am not liking this matchup at SF that much. I'm a Carolina homer as well. Leaning towards the Falcons or Bills.
Hope you stuck with the Panthers. They were a wall all game.

Looking towards Week 2: Am I crazy to be looking at Cleveland for short term?

Looked good vs. PIT (without Myles Garrett), & has favorable schedule upcoming

(@ BAL)

(@ IND)

(vs. CIN)

(vs. NYJ)

(@ HOU)

Going to do some more research but looks promising.

Dropped Rams (vs IND) for Texans (vs. JAX) - what a mistake that was! 

Still got the W though.
Total waste. Big fat zero. I may only consider these guys again if the play Gomer Manning and his atrocious OL.

Forget the Texans D. Their O is so bad the other team only needs to score a TD and run the ball, eat the clock and take home the W.

Week 2. Obviously the top choice is Ravens vs Browns, only 47% owned in yahoo. Maybe Oak vs NYJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking towards Week 2: Am I crazy to be looking at Cleveland for short term?

Looked good vs. PIT (without Myles Garrett), & has favorable schedule upcoming

(@ BAL)

(@ IND)

(vs. CIN)

(vs. NYJ)

(@ HOU)

Going to do some more research but looks promising.
Yes.

Carolina, Oakland and Baltimore looking good for this week. Have $1 bids in for the latter two and have Carolina rostered as Plan C.

Total waste. Big fat zero. I may only consider these guys again if the play Gomer Manning and his atrocious OL.

Forget the Texans D. Their O is so bad the other team only needs to score a TD and run the ball, eat the clock and take home the W.
Texans have me really worried. Yes, it was Week 1, and Fournette looks like he can perform against even the stoutest lines, but your comment about how the atrocious O aligns with my own thoughts about how it will affect the D going forward.  Again, knowing that JAX D has steadily improved with talent over the last few years and it's really starting to show now on the field, which made the day that much longer for the Texans.

Still, I expect more than ever this team is going to be leaning on the D, who will be out on the field way longer than the ineffectual O has me rethinking how useful they will be this season. Time of posession in this past week was fairly even, so maybe I'm overthinking it, but hard not to look at the option of streaming instead.

Baltimore is going to finish as a top 5 fantasy defense this year. I think they are worth bidding more than a streaming defense price. Could be an every week play going forward.

Only possible options on the WW in mine are browns, Oakland, and the steelers who I already have. 

Do not not feel confident about it but going with steelers as of right now 

My 2 final round picks of Steelers and Baltimore (in 2 leagues) are looking great.

Why would you not want to play Steelers this week?  Bradford will not play like that in Pittsburgh vs a real def

My 2 final round picks of Steelers and Baltimore (in 2 leagues) are looking great.

Why would you not want to play Steelers this week?  Bradford will not play like that in Pittsburgh vs a real def
You may very well be right, but Bradford looked great last night. Yes, I know that he was playing the sisters of the poor, BUT if you go back to his last several games of last season it looks like there is a very positive trend here. For once he has the same OC for two years in a row and he has some legit offensive weapons. 

You may very well be right, but Bradford looked great last night. Yes, I know that he was playing the sisters of the poor, BUT if you go back to his last several games of last season it looks like there is a very positive trend here. For once he has the same OC for two years in a row and he has some legit offensive weapons. 
I'm starting them

Only possible options on the WW in mine are browns, Oakland, and the steelers who I already have. 

Do not not feel confident about it but going with steelers as of right now 
I would have thought Oakland would have been a more certain option for week 2.  I will go with them if I get them, dropping Pittsburgh. 

Considering starting Cards for one more week since they play the Colts, but could go for Oakland or Baltimore, both still on waivers.

I would have thought Oakland would have been a more certain option for week 2.  I will go with them if I get them, dropping Pittsburgh. 
Drop Pitt?

I have Pitt and HOU and right now HOU scares me. If they can't get points against JAX at home, wow. Would drop HOU before Steelers.

I'm looking to add OAK as well, but something tells me the Steelers were just off all around in week 1.

Top 7 of 14 Sunday Matchups...not in order

$$$ Chargers hosting Fish - Bosa & Engram vs New QB team that is playing their Week 1 in Week 2 but to be fair they are better off with Cutler than Tannehill (risky)

$$ Ravens hosting Brownies - Rookie QB who showed poise and moxie (2 platitudes for the price of 1) in Week 1 but Suggs is eating souls to rejuvenate his Chi (risky)

$$$ Rams hosting Skins - Most expect the Rams to revert to garbage and the Skins to stop being garbage; don't believe either (risky).

$$ Panthers hosting Buffalo - Any team that calls their QB T Mobile deserves to have a mudhole stomped in their a$$ (this is the kind of keen insight I provide). (risky)

$$$$ Raiders hosting J E T S - Raiders dominated a good team away, what do they do to a team with "issues" at home?

$$$ Seattle hosting Bryan Hoyer - It's Bryan Hoyer.  And Michael Bennett has PTSD.  Ungood.

$$$$ Arizona visits Jacoby Brissett - A team who's window has closed is still clinging to the notion that they can win it all this year.

My top choice is Raiders.  Second choice Cardinals. Third choice Seahags.  Pivot is Chargers ("Bad Cutler" shows his ugly face in Miami's Week 1).

The Bungles D still has a pulse.  Watson's first start on the road on a short week is a tall order.  I've got them in the mix for $0 bid bucks.

I think the ravens defense has a chance to be special this year.  Should be a priority pickup for more than just streaming.  

Top 7 of 14 Sunday Matchups...not in order

$$$ Chargers hosting Fish - Bosa & Engram vs New QB team that is playing their Week 1 in Week 2 but to be fair they are better off with Cutler than Tannehill (risky)

$$ Ravens hosting Brownies - Rookie QB who showed poise and moxie (2 platitudes for the price of 1) in Week 1 but Suggs is eating souls to rejuvenate his Chi (risky)

$$$ Rams hosting Skins - Most expect the Rams to revert to garbage and the Skins to stop being garbage; don't believe either (risky).

$$ Panthers hosting Buffalo - Any team that calls their QB T Mobile deserves to have a mudhole stomped in their a$$ (this is the kind of keen insight I provide). (risky)

$$$$ Raiders hosting J E T S - Raiders dominated a good team away, what do they do to a team with "issues" at home?

$$$ Seattle hosting Bryan Hoyer - It's Bryan Hoyer. And Michael Bennett has PTSD. Ungood.

$$$$ Arizona visits Jacoby Brissett - A team who's window has closed is still clinging to the notion that they can win it all this year.

My top choice is Raiders. Second choice Cardinals. Third choice Seahags. Pivot is Chargers ("Bad Cutler" shows his ugly face in Miami's Week 1).
(risky)TM

I'm probably sticking with the Rams since they get Donald back and Cousins looks uncomfortable without Garcon/DJax/Reed with healthy toes.

Seahawks and Cards no-duh hold, Ravens decent hold, Texans and Rams at worst cautious hold. 

OAK obvious top pickup, but after that some question marks. IND could be interesting vs a no-DJ ARI team and then getting Cleveland Wk 3. DET might be a sneaky play, though Giants at home w/ Beckham will certainly be better. Maybe Chargers facing Smoking Jay Cutler? Maybe Cincy if that ends up a low-scoring game like you'd think looking at Week 1? JAX will come down of course, but TEN/BAL/NYJ the next 3 weeks makes them intriguing. 

I'm probably riding the Steelers through a potential hurdle with hopes that Chi/Bal/Jax turn out at least decent, but food for thought.

Scratch that, BAL defense is available. I think I'm putting in a large bid for them in a couple leagues. I don't know if I've ever seriously bid on a defense before but this might be the one.

Users who are viewing this thread