What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Class for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (1 Viewer)

People #####ing about the broader definition of rock n roll is old news...should it be called something else besides rock n roll?  Yes.  Does everybody need to get over non-rock inductees, yes.

Enjoy it for what it is.

I banged many a chick with Bon Jovi in the background, for that reason I approve of their induction.
Wasn't it little awkward with him just chillin' there? 

The Guess Who are in already, right?

Edited to add No, no they are not.

No **** Dale either. 

But #######g Bon Iver doing Shot to the Freakin Heart gets in.  Big Oofs!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guess Who are in already, right?

Edited to add No, no they are not.

No **** Dale either. 

But #######g Bon Iver doing Shot to the Freakin Heart gets in.  Big Oofs!
**** Dale should definitely get in.

The Guess Who are in the Canadian HOF. Which of course, is an oxymoron. I believe it's in Manitoba.

Bon Jovi songs that make me want to punch something out of hatred for the song...

1.  Anything after Slippery When Wet

Not that I think much of the Hall, but it's good to see the Moody Blues finally getting their due.  One of the most underrated and best rock bands of the late 60s/early 70s.  

Not that I think much of the Hall, but it's good to see the Moody Blues finally getting their due.  One of the most underrated and best rock bands of the late 60s/early 70s.  
"Days of Future Passed" is as good as "Sgt. Pepper's" imo (and better in spots - Side B)  - obviously influenced a great deal by the latter, but a brilliant concept album ... majestic/bombastic, a tad ostentatious - ballsy effort for a band's second ever LP.  the segues bleed so beautifully into one another, as seamless a journey as Tull's "Thick As a Brick" 

side B focused on the afternoon/the evening/the night, and that run of  "Tuesday Afternoon" into "Evening (Time To Get Away)"  into "Nights in White Satin" is as genius a string of successive tunes as anything ever recorded, and as great an album "side" as one could hope to be treated to.

PS- i chose to highlight "Evening" because it gets lost/forgotten in the shuffle between the two more epic, well known longer pieces ... also because it happens to be not only my favorite Moody's moment, but one of my favorites of all-time. period.

Pass.  Pinder hasn't been in 40 years, Ray Thomas retired almost 2 decades ago, Edge can't really play anymore (which is why they tour with another drummer, who does all of the hard work now), and Lodge and Hayward look really old, probably because they are really old. 

"Days of Future Passed" is as good as "Sgt. Pepper's" imo (and better in spots - Side B)  - obviously influenced a great deal by the latter, but a brilliant concept album ... majestic/bombastic, a tad ostentatious - ballsy effort for a band's second ever LP.  the segues bleed so beautifully into one another, as seamless a journey as Tull's "Thick As a Brick" 

side B focused on the afternoon/the evening/the night, and that run of  "Tuesday Afternoon" into "Evening (Time To Get Away)"  into "Nights in White Satin" is as genius a string of successive tunes as anything ever recorded, and as great an album "side" as one could hope to be treated to.

PS- i chose to highlight "Evening" because it gets lost/forgotten in the shuffle between the two more epic, well known longer pieces ... also because it happens to be not only my favorite Moody's moment, but one of my favorites of all-time. period.
I always loved Time to Get Away, but then again, I have always been a sucker for the John Lodge songs - I'm Just a Singer... (my favorite "hit" of their classic era), Candle of Life, House of Four Doors, Out and In (co-written with Pinder, who sang it), Eyes of a Child, Minstrel's Song. 

Saw the Zombies a couple years ago during their Odessey and Oracle tour.  Unbelievable show.  They were so short-lived that I understand why they aren't in but they are certainly deserving.  **** Dale definitely belongs.

There are lots of snubs but the biggest might be Jethro Tull.   The fact that artists like Donna Summer and NWA are inducted into the RnR HoF and a band like Jethro Tull isn't is laughable.

Saw the Zombies a couple years ago during their Odessey and Oracle tour.  Unbelievable show.  They were so short-lived that I understand why they aren't in but they are certainly deserving.  **** Dale definitely belongs.

There are lots of snubs but the biggest might be Jethro Tull.   The fact that artists like Donna Summer and NWA are inducted into the RnR HoF and a band like Jethro Tull isn't is laughable.
thought Tull got in last year  :shrug:

ETA: nope, was thinking of Yes 

Bon Jovi songs that make me want to punch something out of hatred for the song...

1.  Anything after Slippery When Wet
Drawing a line in their catelogue and saying the stuff before it is good, but the stuff after is lame is pretty good schtick.  They last several albums have been pretty meh, but they have pretty consistently been making the same music for 25 years.  They were the AC/DC of their genre.  They kept on putting a slightly different twist on the same song for decades, and never blew you away by going in a different direction, but they were going to be consistent in what they put out.

most boring uninteresting batch yet

usually am pretty anxious for the performances but other than the cars this is meh

most boring uninteresting batch yet

usually am pretty anxious for the performances but other than the cars this is meh
Wonder who they will be getting to be Ben Orr, since he died in 2000 (Cancer), like having Geddy Lee stand in for Chris Squire last year for Yes. This will be different, since Ben Orr was lead singer on a bunch of the popular Cars songs.

Wonder who they will be getting to be Ben Orr, since he died in 2000 (Cancer), like having Geddy Lee stand in for Chris Squire last year for Yes. This will be different, since Ben Orr was lead singer on a bunch of the popular Cars songs.
Gary NuMan?

I'm not a huge fan of their music, but they deserve to be in - and JBJ has done tremendous work for communities around the country. 

That said, Runaway is a pretty kick ### tune.
This is where I'm at. I am not a fan, and never was (but agree on Runaway) - however base on their peak of popularity and longevity it's hard to say they don't objectively deserve to be in. They've had an awful lot of songs that people enjoy - even if I personally do not.

And whatever you want to say about the band, Jon Bon Jovi is an exceptionally decent man. He's been married to the same woman since the beginning, plays tons of charity benefits and does a ton of charity work. He even opened a restaurant that serves the indigent and has a "pay what you can policy".

I hate to "have" to defend Bon Jovi - but I guess I just did.

To be fair the Chipmunks were in top form on this LP, followed it up with this classic and remained relevant  over the years.

ETA:  Holy Cow,  look at their discography!

I think you can make a legitimate case that they should be there.  
It's a valid point. They're definitely really famous and sold millions of records. Their artistic merit is about on par with Bon Jovi. Not sure why the Hall is snubbing them. I hope it's not the usual bigotry against chipmunks. It's 2017 for crissakes.

This is where I'm at. I am not a fan, and never was (but agree on Runaway) - however base on their peak of popularity and longevity it's hard to say they don't objectively deserve to be in. They've had an awful lot of songs that people enjoy - even if I personally do not.

And whatever you want to say about the band, Jon Bon Jovi is an exceptionally decent man. He's been married to the same woman since the beginning, plays tons of charity benefits and does a ton of charity work. He even opened a restaurant that serves the indigent and has a "pay what you can policy".

Rock HOF is no different than the baseball HOF.  Its as much a popularity contest as anything.  You get to a point when so many people are in, that so many others "deserve" to be in just based on who got in before them.

I'm not a huge fan of their music, but they deserve to be in - and JBJ has done tremendous work for communities around the country. 

Listen to the last part of Runaway-Link

Now tell me WTF that was with JBJ and his attempt at sounding like a cat just got hit by a car?

Listen to the last part of Runaway-Link

Now tell me WTF that was with JBJ and his attempt at sounding like a cat just got hit by a car?
99% of his popularity was chicks packing arenas and screeching, like an 80's version on N'Synch. I didn't know any dudes who admitted to liking his music. 

They definitely found their place in rock within the hair band genre. They have a huge fan base, and they are one of the most (if not the most) successful hair bands ever.  One of the reasons they got inducted is because they had over a million votes on the fan ballot. They started in 1983, and in 2013 they had the highest grossing tour of any band or artist. That is impressive, especially for a hair band that has consistently stuck around all these years making music. 

Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame is dead to me; Bon Jovi inducted.  Who's next, Alvin & the Chipmunks? Time to shut it down.
To be fair the Chipmunks were in top form on this LP, followed it up with this classic and remained relevant  over the years.

ETA:  Holy Cow,  look at their discography!

I think you can make a legitimate case that they should be there. 
It's the remixes that get them in IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49qKb74AXe8

yes, that's exactly what i'm aiming for here ... and, for ##### sake, please do not get me started on Warrant vs the Stones  :whistle:
Wow, I don't think Bon Jovi was nearly as talented as the Beatles. The Beatles were probably the most influential rock band ever. Bon Jovi was a poseur dooshbag, more sex symbol than musician.

I don't really see Warrant on a par with the Stones either. 

You a big Dokken fan too? They were decent.

99% of his popularity was chicks packing arenas and screeching, like an 80's version on N'Synch. I didn't know any dudes who admitted to liking his music. 
Through friends, I used to play poker at a guys house.  He was the guitarist and main songwriter for a regional heavy metal band (the band's first lineup had some fairly big names in it, but they didn't all stick together, so they never got far).  Since he was hosting, he would run the music from his iPod at the table.  Occasionally he would take requests (but only if they were metal), but mostly we would just be listening to his iPod on shuffle, which was 99% metal (I'm talking Epica, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, all kinds of stuff from Europe, not Metallica).  That wasn't really my thing, so I tolerated it as much as possible, but was mainly just noise to me.

Then one night we're playing, and Living on a Prayer comes on.  I look at him like "WTF, your wife slip that one into the playlist."  He just looks at me like I'm the dumest person on the planet and says in complete seriousness "Jon Bon Jovi is one of the greatest songwriters alive."

Through friends, I used to play poker at a guys house.  He was the guitarist and main songwriter for a regional heavy metal band (the band's first lineup had some fairly big names in it, but they didn't all stick together, so they never got far).  Since he was hosting, he would run the music from his iPod at the table.  Occasionally he would take requests (but only if they were metal), but mostly we would just be listening to his iPod on shuffle, which was 99% metal (I'm talking Epica, Rhapsody of Fire, Savatage, all kinds of stuff from Europe, not Metallica).  That wasn't really my thing, so I tolerated it as much as possible, but was mainly just noise to me.

Then one night we're playing, and Living on a Prayer comes on.  I look at him like "WTF, your wife slip that one into the playlist."  He just looks at me like I'm the dumest person on the planet and says in complete seriousness "Jon Bon Jovi is one of the greatest songwriters alive."
Brilliant way to put everyone on tilt. I'll have to remember that one. 

I would have flipped the table.

Users who are viewing this thread