What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza Presents: FG Radio - Tons of Lithium but very little Chill (4 Viewers)

When will we get rolling again? I feel all giddy.

I guess when everybody checks in and says hello and catches up. Then might be a good time to take care of some substantive/administrative stuff. Nothing major, mind you. But really, whenever. Just want to give people some time. We can probably start Wednesday or something like that.

Anything is cool by me.
Are you the one who was doint the football stuff? I can't remember.

@Northern Voice has been the commish of the Land of Confusion FF league.

I'm experimenting to see if this is going to quote k4. I hit quote before, and it didn't quote. Testing, testing...

I'm experimenting to see if this is going to quote k4. I hit quote before, and it didn't quote. Testing, testing...
Trying again.
When the system recognizes you have hit the quote button, you get a message at the top of the page that says "message added to multi-quote". Then you go down to the response box and there is an icon for "paste quotes" or whatever. Hit that and what you quoted shows up in the response box.

It's the 3rd of January in my world, so I can pick today's pick. I'm adding some estrogen to the Yacht Rock.

Round 116

Have You Never Been Mellow - Olivia Newton-John (Yacht Rock)
I just performed my first search on the new board to find this woman. She appeared in Round 116, which isn't too shabby for this monster thread. I enjoy several of her 70s songs, as well as the movie and soundtrack Grease. My first music link on the new board is my favorite Olivia song. RIP ONJ 🙏

Unless it's crazily necessary, I'm going to do the first roll Thursday to keep continuity. I'll be awfully busy the next few days. Long and short story: I hit a police officer's vehicle last Friday and need to take my car to the shop. It wasn't a major accident, but hitting a cop is never fun. They were none too pleased. They made me wait an hour and a half for California Highway Patrol to come take a report and when the CHP guy showed up, he was giving me the business as I tried to explain the accident. Eventually, they figured out I was sober and just was changing lanes at the wrong time. It was not Modest Mouse, but it was decent enough. I'm still alive, breathing, and without a major moving violation.

I crashed my car into a cop car the other day
Well he just laughed it off it was all okay

Unless it's crazily necessary, I'm going to do the first roll Thursday to keep continuity. I'll be awfully busy the next few days. Long and short story: I hit a police officer's vehicle last Friday and need to take my car to the shop. It wasn't a major accident, but hitting a cop is never fun. They were none too pleased. They made me wait an hour and a half for California Highway Patrol to come take a report and when the CHP guy showed up, he was giving me the business as I tried to explain the accident. Eventually, they figured out I was sober and just was changing lanes at the wrong time. It was not Modest Mouse, but it was decent enough. I'm still alive, breathing, and without a major moving violation.

Yikes, I'm glad you (and everyone else) are OK!

I guess when everybody checks in and says hello and catches up. Then might be a good time to take care of some substantive/administrative stuff. Nothing major, mind you. But really, whenever. Just want to give people some time. We can probably start Wednesday or something like that.

Anything is cool by me.

I posted this in the Yahoo league but just to put it here, I can't really commish the FF league here this year.

I'll participate and can do the Yahoo side but I'm just not on these boards near enough these days to be the one overseeing the draft. Hopefully someone else can take that aspect over.

Sorry about your "brush up" with the cops, rock. As k4 said, I'm glad you and everyone else is ok. I hope there is minimal damage to all vehicles.
In regard to the Thursday roll, I'm going out of town tomorrow (I think), and I'll just jump back in next week.

Last edited:
Until we return, I guess RA and Doc Oc are biding their time in the Jets thread to commiserate about the latest Becton injury.
It sucks the guy broke his kneecap. Teams have to hold their breath and hope injuries don't happen.
IIRC there was a major Jets injury (to a pass rusher) just before our FF league got rolling last year. It's a Jets thing.
Carl Lawson, the pass rusher they signed.

Maybe it's because I just watched the penultimate ep of Better Call Saul, but I'm picturing you driving a cab while @krista4 is burgling a cancer patient.

Maybe it's because I just watched the penultimate ep of Better Call Saul, but I'm picturing you driving a cab while @krista4 is burgling a cancer patient.

:lmao: I had a similar vision of that BCS scene, minus my engaging in any felonious activities. I like yours better.

I guess I'll do the dice roll that I said I would:

Dice roll - 465 - 561 - 175 - 782

Blonde Ambition (Madonna, Britney Spears, or Lady Gaga) (first roll)

Scissors XM (Songs by women about women) (fifth roll)

Vocal Chords (songs with great harmonies) (third roll)

Diamonds In The Rough (good songs off of bad albums) (fifth roll)

I think the dice are getting hung up on Sunday unless somebody takes over. It's been a good run, fantasy football is starting, and we've got folks going on vacation. I hope this segment of Genrepalooza was enjoyable. Peace!

I guess I'll do the dice roll that I said I would:

Dice roll - 465 - 561 - 175 - 782

Blonde Ambition (Madonna, Britney Spears, or Lady Gaga) (first roll)

Scissors XM (Songs by women about women) (fifth roll)

Vocal Chords (songs with great harmonies) (third roll)

Diamonds In The Rough (good songs off of bad albums) (fifth roll)
Blonde Ambition also includes Christina Aguilera.

For the Blonde Ambition artists:

Madonna songs already picked:
Holiday
Justify My Love
La Ista Bonita
Live to Tell
Material Girl
Ray of Light

Britney Spears songs already picked:
Gimme More
Oops... I Did It Again!
Stronger
Till the World Ends
Work B**ch

Lady Gaga songs already picked:
Bad Romance
Chromatica II/911
Horror Show
I Can't Give You Anything But Love (with Tony Bennett)
Just Dance
Money Honey
Rain on Me (ft. Ariana Grande)

Christina Aguilera songs already picked:
Come On Over Baby (All I Want Is You)

609. Madonna - Sooner or Later (Blondes Have More Ambition)

If this draft is going on hiatus again, I'll sneak in one more tribute to @wikkidpissah under the wire. "Sooner or Later" is one of three original Stephen Sondheim songs sung by Madonna in the 1990 film **** Tracy directed by her then-boyfriend Warren Beatty. Wikkid loved Sondheim, although he acknowledged the composer as a big risk taker who sometimes missed his mark. But he studied Sondheim and was inspired by him.

it wasnt until i watched the Sweeney Todd movie while in the middle of a furious run of songwriting and found myself suddenly hating all of my ideas for a month afterword did i realize that my new roadblock could be my salvation. First time i ever learned anything off the internet - ordered every bit of Sondheim material and downloaded every clip i could and my work - tho it will likely never see the light of day - was revolutionized doing so. None of the musical ideas i've batted around with folks here would have had any fullness without that education. And, though to no success, i can honestly say that each song i've composed in the last decade has been true to his axiom, "the world should be a different place at the end of a song than it was when it began". For that and a million other things, Mr. Sondheim, thank you, bravo and rest in peace.

It's not top-shelf Sondheim and Madonna won't go down as one of the great interpreters of his music but it's a lovely torch song with typically clever wordplay and Madge does a nice job with it. I re-watched the movie a few months back 30+ years after seeing it during its theatrical run. I thought it held up really well; it combined action and humor effectively with the fabulous art direction and Sondheim songs as a bonus. Madonna was even good as a mysterious femme fatale.

Anything is cool by me.

I posted this in the Yahoo league but just to put it here, I can't really commish the FF league here this year.

I'll participate and can do the Yahoo side but I'm just not on these boards near enough these days to be the one overseeing the draft. Hopefully someone else can take that aspect over.

NV, I'll try and get everyone together and oversee the draft if you do the Yahoo! side of stuff. I can commish this year, I just need somebody to do the Yahoo! work at first and then I can take it from there.

We need a call to go out, though. I was thinking maybe start it the 23rd or so to accommodate certain people on vacation. We could wrap it up by September 8th, I think. It wouldn't be that slow of a draft, but we could do it.

@Ilov80s
@simey
@krista4
@Pip's Invitation
@Eephus
@facook
@The Dreaded Marco (who is on vacation in Italy currently, so I don't know...)
@Raging weasel
@KarmaPolice
@Mrs. Rannous
@Truebluey
@plinko
@Doug B
@Dr. Octopus
@otb_lifer
@Westerberg
@scorchy, just in case you want to give this a whirl, too

If I missed anybody, my apologies. Let me know. So...who's in?

Last edited:

Anything is cool by me.

NV, I'll try and get everyone together and oversee the draft if you do the Yahoo! side of stuff. I can commish this year, I just need somebody to do the Yahoo! work at first and then I can take it from there.

We need a call to go out, though. I was thinking maybe start it the 23rd or so to accommodate certain people on vacation. We could wrap it up by September 8th, I think. It wouldn't be that slow of a draft, but we could do it.

@Ilov80s
@simey
@krista4
@Pip's Invitation
@Eephus
@facook
@The Dreaded Marco (who is on vacation in Italy currently, so I don't know...)
@Raging weasel
@KarmaPolice
@Mrs. Rannous
@Truebluey
@plinko
@Doug B
@Dr. Octopus
@otb_lifer
@Westerberg
@scorchy, just in case you want to give this a whirl, too

If I missed anybody, my apologies. Let me know. So...who's in?
Sure

Round 610:

A. Vocal Chords

Overnight Sensation -- The Raspberries

This song is like the Beach Boys on crack, released in an era where the Beach Boys were doing that themselves. It's far more ambitious than what you'd expect for the guy best known for "All By Myself" and "Hungry Eyes."

B. Scissors XM

Dreamboat Annie -- Heart

There are actually three versions of this song on their debut album. This is the middle, "regular" one, which follows the "Fantasy Child" one and comes before the "Reprise" one.

Users who are viewing this thread