What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1994 - #1 - Notorious BIG - Juicy (1 Viewer)

scorchy

Footballguy
Spotify Playlist Link

When I started the 101 Best Songs of 1988 thread, I wrote that I hoped to eventually hit all the years covering HS/College/Grad School (1987-1996).  I've been waiting for a lull, but as some cranky person posted a while back, there's pretty much never a lull from music threads in the FFA.  So with the labor of love that is the Beatles thread ending and Zepp almost wound down, I'll try to fit this in before @rockactionstarts his long-awaited punk countdown and the tribute to the Allman Brothers kicks in.  Obviously Tim's 1972 thread is rolling along, but I can virtually guarantee no overlap there.

Originally, I had 1992 all set to get to but I just wasn't feeling it - just a little too grungy to bring me joy.  So I threw together 1994, which still has it's share of flannel, but the emergence of "alternative" radio really brought a bunch of other sounds to the masses that help balance things out.

As with 1988, in trying to reflect the sounds of a year, I'm using the single release date as the primary criterion, with album release date being secondary if the song wasn't released as a single.  

#101 - G Love & Special Sauce - Cold Beverage

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

#99 - Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do

#98 - Method Man - Bring The Pain

#97 - John Cougar Mellencamp and Me'Shell Ndegeocello - Wild Night

#96 - Whale - Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe

#95 - Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone

#94 - Coolio - Fantastic Voyage 

#93 - Bush - Everything Zen

#92 - Gin Blossoms - Allison Road

#91 - Jawbox - Savory

#90 - Live - I Alone

#89 - Jesus and Mary Chain w/ Hope Sandoval - Sometimes Always

#88 - Prince - The Most Beautiful Girl in the World

#87 - Stone Roses - Love Spreads

#86 - Guided By Voices - I Am A Scientist

#85 - Hootie & the Blowfish - Hold My Hand

#84 - The Offspring - Self Esteem

#83 - Rancid - Salvation

#82 - Common – I Used to Love H.E.R.

#81 - Bad Religion - 21st Century Digital Boy

#80 - Ini Kamoze - Here Comes the Hotstepper

#79 - Superchunk - Driveway to Driveway

#78 - The Cure - Burn

#77 - Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pigs

#76 - Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide

#75 - Tori Amos - Cornflake Girl

#74 - Craig Mack - Flava in Ya Ear

#73 - Frank Black - Headache

#72 - Beck - Beercan

#71 - Weezer - Undone (The Sweater Song)

#70 - Sonic Youth - Bull in the Heather

#69 - Built to Spill - Distopian Dream Girl

#68 - Helium - XXX

#67 - Dinosaur Jr - Feel the Pain

#66 - Madonna - Secret

#65 - Mariah Carey - Without You

#64 - Aerosmith - Crazy

#63 - Aaliyah - Back & Forth

#62 - TLC - Creep

#61 - Boys II Men - I'll Make Love to You

#60 - The Offspring - Come Out and Play

#59 - MC 900 Ft Jesus - If I Only Had A Brain

#58 - James - Say Something

#57 - De La Soul - Ego Trippin' (Part 2)

#56 - Urge Overkill - Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon

# 55 - Cake - Rock 'n' Roll Lifestyle

#54 - The Pretenders - I'll Stand By You

#53 - Hole - Rock Star

#52 - Oasis - Rock 'N' Roll Star

#51 - Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty

#50 - Blur - Girls and Boys

#49 - Elastica - Connection

#48 - Live - Lightning Crashes

#47 - Counting Crows - A Murder of One

#46 - Freedy Johnston - Bad Reputation

#45 - Pavement - Range Life

#44 - Cracker - Get Off This

#43 - Meat Puppets - Backwater

#42 - Pearl Jam - Better Man

#41 - Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels

#40 - Radiohead - My Iron Lung

#39 - Massive Attack - Protection

#38 - REM - What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?

#37 - The Cranberries - Zombie

#36 - Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You)

#35 - A Tribe Called Quest - Oh My God

#34 - Soul Coughing - Sugar Free Jazz

#33 - Jawbreaker - Boxcar

#32 - Portishead - Sour Times

#31 - Veruca Salt - Seether

#30 - The Toadies - Possum Kingdom

#29 - Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun

#28 - Pearl Jam - Corduroy

#27 - Stone Temple Pilots - Vasoline

#26 - Alice in Chains - No Excuses

#25 - Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm

#24 - Snoop Dogg - Gin and Juice

#23 - Notorious BIG - Big Poppa

#22 - Liz Phair - Supernova

#21 - Pavement - Gold Soundz

#20 - Beck - Loser

#19 - Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days

#18 - Nas - New York State of Mind

#17 - Counting Crows - Round Here

#16 - Green Day - Basket Case

#15 - Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

#14 - Beastie Boys - Sabotage

#13 - Alice in Chains - I Stay Away

#12 - Nine Inch Nails - Hurt

#11 - Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

#10 - Warren G and Nate Dogg - Regulate

#9 - Hole - Doll Parts

#8 - Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

#7 - Weezer - Buddy Holly

#6 - Nine Inch Nails - Closer

#5 - Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

#4 - Green Day - Longview

#3 - Oasis - Live Forever

#2 -Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

#1 - Notorious BIG - Juicy

Last edited by a moderator:

Kicking this off with a Philly special.  Maybe it's just because the song reminds of summer.  Or because it's the only song I know that references one of my favorite places on Earth (that would be Wawa).*  

Yo, I'm champ cherry pounding
Caught a chill vibe
Orange juice in my ride
Wawa's to the right
They got a beverage inside

Cold Beverage wasn't technically a hit, though it did get played on alt-radio and was in rotation on MTV.  Something from the bar?

Cold Beverage

* In early 2020, I got a message from Google that summarized my google locations throughout 2019.  After home and work, my #3 and #4 locations were the Wawa next to my office and the Wawa near my house.  :football:

When I started the 101 Best Songs of 1988 thread, I wrote that I hoped to eventually hit all the years covering HS/College/Grad School (1987-1996).  I've been waiting for a lull, but as some cranky person posted a while back, there's pretty much never a lull from music threads in the FFA.  So with the labor of love that is the Beatles thread ending and Zepp almost wound down, I'll try to fit this in before @rockactionstarts his long-awaited punk countdown and the tribute to the Allman Brothers kicks in.  Obviously Tim's 1972 thread is rolling along, but I can virtually guarantee no overlap there.

Originally, I had 1992 all set to get to but I just wasn't feeling it - just a little too grungy to bring me joy.  So I threw together 1994, which still has it's share of flannel, but the emergence of "alternative" radio really brought a bunch of other sounds to the masses that help balance things out.

As with 1988, in trying to reflect the sounds of a year, I'm using the single release date as the primary criterion, with album release date being secondary if the song wasn't released as a single.  

First post coming after lunch.

What are the chances for some electronica, industrial and dance??  That was the golden age….

What are the chances for some electronica, industrial and dance??  That was the golden age….
It's always tough.  Obviously industrial is close to my heart but beyond the biggies in any given year (e.g., NIN, Ministry), it's tough to shoe-horn in.  I was so anti-techno at the time (the goth/industrial scene seemed to ally with the punks against the ravers and hippies) that I'm ignorant.  I honestly can't think of anything electronica/dance that I have for '94, so you wouldn't be spotlighting if you made a few suggestions here or there.

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Sponge were technically a 3-hit wonder, though I'm not sure how many people not in the band could name more than two of their hits.  Plowed was their highest charter on the Hot 100 (#41) though I've always preferred 1995's Molly (16 Candles Down the Drain), which stalled at #55 overall but reached #3 on Modern Rock.  Sponge are still around making records that don't sell, and performed on tour with Gin Blossoms and Fastball last year.  

Plowed

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Sponge were technically a 3-hit wonder, though I'm not sure how many people not in the band could name more than two of their hits.  Plowed was their highest charter on the Hot 100 (#41) though I've always preferred 1995's Molly (16 Candles Down the Drain), which stalled at #55 overall but reached #3 on Modern Rock.  Sponge are still around making records that don't sell, and performed on tour with Gin Blossoms and Fastball last year.  

Plowed
I actually saw them live once. I liked them a lot more than Bush back in the day.

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Plowed

I liked the first couple of Sponge records.  I only found out when working on my metal thread that they'd been in a previous incarnation called Loudhouse -- (different singer, the drummer became singer for Spoonge) --  remember this cut from Point Break?

I actually saw them live once. I liked them a lot more than Bush back in the day.
It's funny, I really disliked Bush for the longest time.  Maybe it's because I spent two decades changing the channel when one of their songs came on, but now I'm much more likely to listen to Glycerine or Swallowed than the Nirvana, PJ, or Pumpkins song I'm hearing for the zillionth time.

I liked the first couple of Sponge records.  I only found out when working on my metal thread that they'd been in a previous incarnation called Loudhouse -- (different singer, the drummer became singer for Spoonge) --  remember this cut from Point Break?
Leave it to @plinko to bring out the deep cuts. 😀

I remember Loudhouse. I remember their title introductory track vaguely. It went like 'Loudhouse [something] Loudhouse [something] Loudhouse [something]"

1995's Molly (16 Candles Down the Drain)

Dang. By one year. This was the only song by them I really could stand. I remember when the nineties ended that you could find Sponge albums in every pawn shop everywhere. They were ubiquitous.

$2.99 for Sponge! Come and get it!

Nah, I'll pass thanks. 

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Plowed
Never bought a Sponge album but kinda liked the songs I heard on the radio. My personal fave is Have You Seen Mary from '96.

Ahh, the 90's. If I could go back to the 90's once a week or so I'd be a much happier guy. 

:popcorn:

i probably like Sponge more than most but that’s because of the Detroit connection 

this should be a good one, this would have been my freshman year in HS so lotta good memories coming up I’m sure 

:popcorn:

i probably like Sponge more than most but that’s because of the Detroit connection 

this should be a good one, this would have been my freshman year in HS so lotta good memories coming up I’m sure 
I just googled 1994 albums, and can tell you, at a glance, this is best year of the decade. Lordy.

OK, hear me out.  When Tuesday Night Music Club was released in 1993, it went nowhere.  For some reason, the record company decided to give it another go and released a second single in March of '94 (that may appear later).  That single was kind of big on alternative radio - providing a much-needed break from the formula - and managed to convince me to shell out $12 for her CD.  It's still pretty good for what it is.

And then All I Wanna Do Was Released in June and shot all the way to #2 on the pop charts.  Good for Sheryl.  Any song about drinking beer at noon on Tuesday in the LA sun sits fine with me.  Not her fault it got completely over-played (though it is her fault that she dated Kid Rock). 

OK, hear me out.  When Tuesday Night Music Club was released in 1993, it went nowhere.  For some reason, the record company decided to give it another go and released a second single in March of '94 (that may appear later).  That single was kind of big on alternative radio - providing a much-needed break from the formula - and managed to convince me to shell out $12 for her CD.  It's still pretty good for what it is.

And then All I Wanna Do Was Released in June and shot all the way to #2 on the pop charts.  Good for Sheryl.  Any song about drinking beer at noon on Tuesday in the LA sun sits fine with me.  Not her fault it got completely over-played (though it is her fault that she dated Kid Rock). 

my oldest and goodest friend dated the guy who was the founder of the actual tuesday night music club and apparently wrote a lot of that album... this was after Sheryl and he broke up. they may have even been enaged...because when he died tragically (by auto erotic asphyxiation) he left a percentage of a song or two to my friend. she ended up buying and renovating a townhouse in Brooklyn with the funds. 

and an ex of mine designed sheryl's nyc apartment (and is now a famous architect, unlike yours truly)

so I'm torn on this one.

Kicking this off with a Philly special.  Maybe it's just because the song reminds of summer.  Or because it's the only song I know that references one of my favorite places on Earth (that would be Wawa).*  

Yo, I'm champ cherry pounding
Caught a chill vibe
Orange juice in my ride
Wawa's to the right
They got a beverage inside

Cold Beverage wasn't technically a hit, though it did get played on alt-radio and was in rotation on MTV.  Something from the bar?

Cold Beverage

* In early 2020, I got a message from Google that summarized my google locations throughout 2019.  After home and work, my #3 and #4 locations were the Wawa next to my office and the Wawa near my house.  :football:
I never failed to turn this up when it came on the radio. 

Wawa is life.

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Plowed
It doesn’t get more 90s than that bill.

This song is cromulent modern rock. Never bothered me when it came on but didn’t give me a reason to dig deeper.

The first thing I heard from her was Leaving Las Vegas, which I HATED and still do.

When this hit radio I was like, “well, that’s much better.” 

She has poor taste in men, but Kurt Cobain had poor taste in women, so I’m not gonna judge. 

#98 - Method Man - Bring The Pain

Lead single from Method Man's debut solo record Tical- produced by RZA so it still maintains that unmistakable Wu-Tang sound.  Tical ended up hitting #4 on the albums chart.  Meanwhile, MM would go on to play possibly the most loathsome character on The Wire. But Cheese got his in the end.

Bring the Pain

If you need proof that “classic” rock was dead by 1994, only three songs by pre-90s rock artists made the year-end Hot 100 that year* - a truly awful effort from the Three Musketeers soundtrack by Sting, Bryan Adams, and Rod Stewart; a middling  track from The Lion King by Elton John; and this Van Morrison cover saved by Me’Shell Ndegeocello’s thumping bassline.  I didn’t really pay much attention to it in 1994, but it holds up really well.

Wild Night

*The year-end rock chart was even more barren.  The only non-”alternative” entry in the top 25 was a song from Pink Floyd that I’ve definitely never heard.

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Plowed

Not sure there's a more "90's video" than this.

If you need proof that “classic” rock was dead by 1994, only three songs by pre-90s rock artists made the year-end Hot 100 that year* - a truly awful effort from the Three Musketeers soundtrack by Sting, Bryan Adams, and Rod Stewart; a middling  track from The Lion King by Elton John; and this Van Morrison cover saved by Me’Shell Ndegeocello’s thumping bassline.  I didn’t really pay much attention to it in 1994, but it holds up really well.

Wild Night

*The year-end rock chart was even more barren.  The only non-”alternative” entry in the top 25 was a song from Pink Floyd that I’ve definitely never heard.
A song I just despise.    Rolling Stine reallly tried to prop her career up in the US, she was big in Africa.  I’m good with never hearing another JCM song ever again.

OK, hear me out.  When Tuesday Night Music Club was released in 1993, it went nowhere.  For some reason, the record company decided to give it another go and released a second single in March of '94 (that may appear later).
I would guess Liz Phair had something to do with that decision. Exile In Guyville was also released in 1993 (about two months earlier than Crow's album) and also did not generate enormous sales.

But it did have huge impact with critics, landing on the Best Of Year lists which prompted bigger sales. I'm sure the execs at Sheryl's label connected those dots and gave the album another push.

I would guess Liz Phair had something to do with that decision. Exile In Guyville was also released in 1993 (about two months earlier than Crow's album) and also did not generate enormous sales.

But it did have huge impact with critics, landing on the Best Of Year lists which prompted bigger sales. I'm sure the execs at Sheryl's label connected those dots and gave the album another push.
Liz Phair was another that had incredible hype here in the Chicago area, totally fizzled out early.  

#100 - Sponge - Plowed

Plowed
I don't know what Wax Ecstatic means and it's probably nonsense, but I get in a zone anytime that opening riff hits ny rhis STP cover band.

#95 - Johnny Cash - Delia's Gone

The Man in Black's comeback record (American Recordings) produced by rap/rock svengali Rick Rubin.  I wasn't much in tune with it at the time as I was still running away from my parents' force-feeding me country music during my formative years.  I did wonder why William Bennett, C. Delores Tucker, and other scolds didn't go after Johnny Cash for singing about committing graphic violence the same way they did hip-hop stars (and Trent Reznor, who was bizarrely referred to as a gangsta rapper for the satirical Big Man with a Gun).  Honestly had no idea that Delia's Gone was an old folk song about the murder of a 14-year old, but I doubt that the public moralists did either.  Kate Moss plays Delia in the video.

Delia's Gone

Not sure there's a more "90's video" than this.
it's as if the band that wins "battle of the bands" in the movie School of Rock got to record a video and direct it themselves.

I'd never heard that song or band- I was in grad school at the tiem and lots of music was getting passed around, but never that one.

scorchy said:
#96 - Whale - Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe

I  loved this song the first time I heard it on the radio - weird in a good way, not a Chumbawumba way.  Then Beavis and Butthead helped turn it into a cult classic.  I know I can’t be the only one who found Swedish singer Cia Berg oddly alluring.

Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe

The guy with the best 'nads gets his armpit licked

I went and dug up somebody's old Cia Berg deep dive .. I mean she was old, when this was new, and now this is old.. and so are we.. anyway it's mostly terrible 80s Swedish band Ubangi but she always smoked.  

Slamming track if not veering into "glad-that's-over" territory for my aging ears.  

ETA- I did as bad a job possible remembering that band name

I went and dug up somebody's old Cia Berg deep dive .. I mean she was old, when this was new, and now this is old.. and so are we.. anyway it's mostly terrible 80s Swedish band Ubangi but she has always smoked.  

Slamming track if not veering into "glad-that's-over" territory for my aging ears.  

ETA- I did as bad a job possible remembering that band name
My lord. That was like bad Swedish Devo fronted by the chick from Charly Bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread