What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Genrepalooza 3: Playlists are done, phwew (1 Viewer)

Not doing all the categories right now 'cause I'm lazy, but some late picks.

Trip Hop
Massive Attack, Special Cases

Struggled to come up with post-2000 trip hop, I'll be honest.

Aussie/Kiwi
Tiny Ruins, How Much

('Cause I've picked the Avalanches often enough (still luv u lads))

2000s Film Theme
Jonny Greenwood, House of Woodcock (Phantom Thread)

Gorgeous score.

2000s Film Song
Benoit Charest, Belleville Rendez-Vous (Les Triplettes de Belleville)

Awesome song from a fantastic French animated film. 

Canada
Broken Social Scene, 
Pacific Theme
Love BSS and I kinda lost track of how many times I've picked their stuff in past drafts, but it was plenty. Going with a less obvious choice here, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which did you choose? The Spotify playlists seem behind.
I chose Blue LIght, I think, but it was unofficial. NV chose...what did NV choose? I just remember seeing it and noting the band. I forget, at this point. We chose a bunch.

eta* We made a bunch of unofficial picks, not "chose a bunch" from each band.  

Which did you choose? The Spotify playlists seem behind.
Yeah.  :kicksrock:

I don't seem to have as much Internet time as I did when I was working.  Updating playlists used to be a good mindless activity when I was listening in on concalls.

Yeah.  :kicksrock:

I don't seem to have as much Internet time as I did when I was working.  Updating playlists used to be a good mindless activity when I was listening in on concalls.
Not your fault man, we all own this draft with you and could have taken better care of the playlists.

Up early again. Bruins win took it out of me. I've now drafted a bunch of Scottish bands, who might or might not be happy with being part of the UK. Herewith the songs...

Genre - UK

Artist - LIfe Without Buildings (Scotland)

Song - Juno

or

New Town

Damn Pitchfork. Back when they were still breaking tastes, they tried to break this band. Unsuccessfully, as it were, as the band broke up after this album. But while I can often quibble with the taste-makers, this time they hit. This Scottish band with the sing/spoken word/poetry vox sounded pretty good for a slightly burnt-out guy in his late twenties, just starting to mellow but needing a little punk/angularity in his guitars still. Anyway, on re-listen, these songs are probably the most representative of their brief moment in the sun, which went from critical indie darlings to quick break-up. I have no idea what happened to the band after that (no idea if the Pfork love came before or after the break-up), but they're the first post-2000 UK band that jumped to mind for me.

Genre - Live

Artist - Mogwai (Also Scotland)

Song - My Father My King (Northampton, MA, 05 Sept. 2003)

Live in 2016: https://youtu.be/8kLJp28usdk

Yes, I've drafted them before, but this goes without saying...

So I saw these guys at a club in Northampton, Massachusetts, straight off of their flight from Europe, the first date of their North American Happy Songs For Happy People tour. It was the best show I've ever been to. Mogwai, noted for the occasional ferocity of their live show, played all their burners released theretofore that night. Holy ####, customs must have pissed them off. Anyway, this song, recorded on wax by Steve Albini, who miraculously managed to #### it up (yes, I said that. And mean that. Fugazi thought he ####ed up In On The Kill Taker enough to get a different engineer, too) and make it sound muted, was unleashed live, and it sounded like nothing I'd ever heard. It was, like a European soccer match, almost responsible for babies that night, but instead we wound up with a bouncing baby simple screen name and subsequent avatar in homage. Simply put, it changed my life, this religion-inspired song and set. It ripped. Left a deep rumbling in my chest and heart, as all things great should.

Here is the set list:https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mogwai/2003/pearl-street-northampton-ma-3bf2480c.html

This is a live sample of each song played during the best show I've ever seen (the Northampton set in 2003) hidden in the spoiler because of space concerns and thread continuity. 

Also thanks to every mentioned/drafted The Deftones. I hadn’t heard White Pony since college and now I’ve been working out to it for several days! Such a good hard rock album. Love these drafts. 
Had this in the car all week.  One of the best albums of the 00s for sure.  

More spotlighting of a previous category during downtime. I did the category an injustice the first time around, and I've never drafted this person. If this young woman isn't represented in the best of this decade, I think we're really missing the heck out. A nice little deep cut with a wonderful lyrical twist:

Genre - Aus/New Zealand

Artist - Lorde

Song - Liability

count of songs by category.  Rock and Female really dominated.

Code:
Acoustic/Folk/Dream Pop - 20
Country - 15
Covers - 30
Dance/Electronica - 27
Female - 54
None of the Above - 17
Old Fart - 22
Pop - 19
Punk/Emo/Hardcore/Metal - 14
R&B/Trap - 23
Rap/Trap - 28
Rock - 63
Grand Total - 332

I'm not the best for movie songs.  I pay a little attention to the score, but mostly seem to avoid movies that have singing in them.   A couple that came to mind when I saw those categories:

Eddie Vedder - Guaranteed

My 4 year old final discovered Frozen, so I have listened to that on a loop for the last 2 months.  It just breaks my heart when she sings "we used to be best buddies..." 

Do You Wanna Build a Snowman

dude, why weren't you in the punk draft?

was listening to the punk playlist tonight and really dug this one (apparently again, since I previously liked that post and completely forgot about it)
Took a long hiatus from the various music drafts. I didn't even know there was a punk draft going on.

count of songs by category.  Rock and Female really dominated.

Acoustic/Folk/Dream Pop - 20
Country - 15
Covers - 30
Dance/Electronica - 27
Female - 54
None of the Above - 17
Old Fart - 22
Pop - 19
Punk/Emo/Hardcore/Metal - 14
R&B/Trap - 23
Rap/Trap - 28
Rock - 63
Grand Total - 332

I don't recall the previous Genrepaloozas having such a large disparity.  The categories are probably more to blame than the dice.

...and speaking of old Sade

Soldier of Love

Sade released an album in 2000 and in 2010.  If she has something planned for 2020, it'll be up there with the presidential election, the next 007 movie and the end of Jeff Samardzija's contract as my most anticipated events of the year.
Even my Roots song references Sade so I’m very much in on this Sade run here. 

Time to make it three picks for another band. No I don't care that all three are picked by me, plus I spotlighted at least two other times before it was allowed. In any case, they are #1 on my wish list of bands I need to see and I'm seeing them Monday. Very excited.

I've long held that despite critical opinion, their best album is actually Room on Fire, not Is This It. Watching Youtube concert videos tonight, nothing really gets the crowd going like this one.

Afterhours - Reptilia - The Strokes - Rock
This pick got me to go back and listen again to this album, which I really liked when it came out. I dig it more now. Great choice, great band.

Our gin nights and beer talk plus all the BBQ and restaurant threads have made me wonder if we've ever done a food draft in the FFA?

Something like 

1 breakfast main dish

1 breakfast side

1 breakfast beverage (or hot beverage?)

2 lunch/dinner main dishes

4 lunch/dinner side dishes

2 alcoholic beverages (allow for beer and mixed drinks)

2 non alcoholic beverages

2 desserts

2 "snacks"

1 sauce or condiment?

1 spice or seasoning?

Maybe a couple other categories and or change a couple up and/or flex spots to make it 20 rounds. Wouldn't necessarily draw the same people as the music drafts but would be fun I think?

Would have to work out what to do with specific food/meal at a restaurant (which I think could be eligible) and what that means for generic/similar versions. 

I.e. if my 1.01 is a McDonald's Big Mac, can a homemade cheeseburger still be selected. 

Also, if I draft a rib-eye steak, is filet mignon still on the board?

Users who are viewing this thread