What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Holly Jolly Palooza: Collaborative Xmas playlist project complete w/ 12 1/2 playlists for your holiday enjoyment (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Playlists (Spotify)
Funny/novelty
So bad it's good/so bad it's bad
Soulful
Overplayed
Country/acoustic
Religious/traditional
Sad/depressing/wistful/anti-holiday
For the kids
Instrumental
Rocking
Peaceful/chilled
Pop
Swinging

It's been seven years since we did a Christmas music thread so it's high time we did another one this season. Holly Jolly Palooza is kind of like a draft but is really a collaborative holiday playlist project. Here's how it will work.

Every day, I'll roll Santa's magical holiday dice to randomly select TWO categories from the following list
  1. Rocking
  2. Soulful
  3. Swinging
  4. Country/acoustic - RETIRED
  5. Religious/traditional - RETIRED
  6. Funny/novelty - RETIRED
  7. Sad/depressing/wistful/anti-holiday - RETIRED
  8. Overplayed
  9. So bad it's good/so bad it's bad
  10. Peaceful/chilled - REPLACES For the kids
  11. Instrumental
Participants can select TWO songs per day corresponding to the daily categories. For example, if Rocking and Soulful are rolled, you can choose one rockin' and one soulful song or two from either of the categories e.g. two soulful songs.

You must post your daily selections between 12:01 AM EST and 11:59 PM PST. No makeup picks will be allowed; if you miss a day, you're out of luck but you can pick for the next day.

Santa's elves will add the songs to the appropriate Spotify playlists which we'll all get to enjoy over the holidays.

Holidays are inclusive: Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Festivus, New Year's, the winter in general.
Categories are not mutually exclusive.
  • The same song by different artists can be picked for a given category/playlist
  • The same song by the same artist may be picked in multiple categories a.k.a. the Dominick the Donkey rule
  • The only thing that's disallowed is the same song by the same artist in the same category/playlist. The only exception is for overplayed songs where duplicates are permitted.
Every day will bring another two categories. Participants can join in for a day or stick around for the entire thread. There's no draft order, no spreadsheet, no obligations, just holiday cheer.

Last edited:
I'll roll the first pair of categories Sunday night and we'll see if anything's under the tree come Monday.

If anybody has a better idea for a category, hop up on my lap and tell me what you want for Christmas.

I’ll not be able to make picks for every category every day but I’m in.

That's the spirit.

Make a pick if you have the gumption and if not, there's no obligation to catch up if you miss a day or two. With only ten categories, categories are bound to come up multiple times but the dice decide all of that.

I’m sure it’s because I’ve been drinking most of the day…..are the selections first come first serve and then once your songs are gone you have to take something else?

I’m sure it’s because I’ve been drinking most of the day…..are the selections first come first serve and then once your songs are gone you have to take something else?

• The same song by different artists can be picked for a given category/playlist
  • The same song by the same artist may be picked in multiple categories, i.e. one person's funny could be another's sad/depressing. I doubt this will happen but I'm trying to keep the bookkeeping simple.
  • The only thing that's disallowed is the same song by the same artist in the same category/playlist. The only exception is for overplayed songs where duplicates are permitted.

• The same song by the same artist may be picked in multiple categories, i.e. one person's funny could be another's sad/depressing. I doubt this will happen but I'm trying to keep the bookkeeping simple.

Got it - extra rum in the eggnog it is.

Last edited:
Hey, it's 12:01 AM ET on Monday.

And I'm going to do some shtick.

Funny/novelty: Domenick the Donkey (The Italian Chrismas Donkey) -- Lou Monte with Joe Reisman's Orchestra and Chorus

So bad it's good/so bad it's bad: Domenick the Donkey (The Italian Chrismas Donkey) -- Lou Monte with Joe Reisman's Orchestra and Chorus

I never heard this until I met my wife, who is half Italian. If you haven't, uh, you'll find that it most certainly qualifies for both of these categories.

Thanks for providing an example of mutual exclusivity.

I've updated the OP to reference the Dominick the Donkey rule.

Funny - Chanukah Song by Adam Sandler

Bad, Just Bad - Please, Daddy (Don't Get Drunk This Christmas) by Bob Denver

Hey, it's 12:01 AM ET on Monday.

And I'm going to do some shtick.

Funny/novelty: Domenick the Donkey (The Italian Chrismas Donkey) -- Lou Monte with Joe Reisman's Orchestra and Chorus

So bad it's good/so bad it's bad: Domenick the Donkey (The Italian Chrismas Donkey) -- Lou Monte with Joe Reisman's Orchestra and Chorus

I never heard this until I met my wife, who is half Italian. If you haven't, uh, you'll find that it most certainly qualifies for both of these categories.
I haven't heard this in years. Just kill me now.

Last edited:
Novelty song - It Was A Silent Night At least Until Jeff Lynne Arrived, by Grandaddy

Novelty song - I’ll Be Stoned for Christmas, by Dent May

I'll play. I'm not so great with holiday music, so I might have to drop out, but why not?

Novelty/Funny

I won't reprint the lyrics and spoil the jokes.

So Bad It's Good

If for any reason people want to know why this is so bad it's good vs. just bad or just good, I'd be more than happy to oblige with an explanation.

Funny/Novelty - I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas

This song is just weird but my family has always loved it for some reason

So Bad It's Bad - Little Drummer Boy

Who Wants to Get Hung for the Holidays?

Yeah... I'm very in. My picks for today:

Novelty/Funny
So Bad It's Good -
Really wish I could pick more than one here... so many options!

Users who are viewing this thread