What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420 (2 Viewers)

After reading this week's SI article on Trevor Bauer, it is safe to say that AJ Pierzynski has passed the torch of biggest doosh in the major leagues. 

I was reading up on Harper's history...

Check out his past batting averages:

2015 - .330

2016 - .243

2017 - .319

2018 - .249

:oldunsure:

So the Phils will be getting a .300 hitter if he signs, right?

I was reading up on Harper's history...

Check out his past batting averages:

2015 - .330

2016 - .243

2017 - .319

2018 - .249

:oldunsure:

So the Phils will be getting a .300 hitter if he signs, right?
It isn't nearly as fun from a narrative perspective, but his avg in the 3 years prior fell in between within 4 points of each other.  So that trend probably doesn't really say anything.

I think his health is a much bigger issue than the avg. How much of one depends on how much you listen to him and his agent.  But when his avg is down he's still shown more of a willingness to run to compensate.  So if you pick him just prepare as if you're playing from behind in both avg and sb, knowing you really aren't in one or the other.  And that a full season of 315/450/600+ with at least some sb is within the range of possibilities.

Scott Boras has to be loving this......

Rocks about to lock up Arenado for what looks like 8 years and somewhere around $260m.

No way Harper settles for less than the $32.5 per that this will be. 

I pulled the trigger on three season tickets for the Round Rock Express today.

I bought three because that got me on the second row in deluxe, over-sized (slightly), padded (minimally) seats behind the Houston batter's box, two seats from the aisle. They would not break them up, but they were significantly better than anything else they've offered since switching to the Astros. 

Should be a really fun club to watch for a few years and they show Astros games in the Intel clubhouse, so I can watch both at once.

I'm pretty psyched, I've never had full season tickets to anything before. I wish it wasn't an hour plus of heinous traffic to get there. I can probably, realistically make 20-30 games. I hope there's a decent secondary market to sell the others.

Its hard to justify all this talk about collusion after the Arenado extension, the Machado contract, and the eventual Harper contract. That being said, the speed of the offseason still needs to be handled better.

At this point, I hope the Phils put their best offer on the table and say take it or leave it.  This process is ridiculous. 

At this point, I hope the Phils put their best offer on the table and say take it or leave it.  This process is ridiculous. 
Yep, I'm glad the Nats didn't let him hold them by the balls.  I'm sure he'll get his money in the end but it feels like he's going to be miserable wherever he goes.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
It appears that Kapler is a big impediment to Harper signing with Philadelphia.

Roberts, Maddon and Bochy are who he wants to play for.
Im fairly certain Philadelphia is the biggest impediment to signing with Philadelphia. I mean have you ever been there?

LOL with no opt outs cause Harper didn't want them.

Good thing he turned down 10/300 about 5 months back to get that extra 3 years and 30 million

Encyclopedia Brown said:
It appears that Kapler is a big impediment to Harper signing with Philadelphia.

Roberts, Maddon and Bochy are who he wants to play for.
Nope. Just the money.

So if you are an MLB team, which contract would you rather have on the books? I think Machado ... but maybe not.

@jaysonst: The #Phillies projected to be $74 million under the tax threshold this year before signing Harper. So at just over $25 million in AAV, this deal gives them the flexibility to do more, both this year and beyond. Big reason for extending it over 13 years.

No opt outs either. Harper didnt want any. Because, you know, he hates Kapler and Philly so much.  :pickle:

Great deal for the Phils!
It is. The people talking about the burden of the years are ridiculous. None of us have any idea what the game will look like in a decade. There's a pretty good chance they'll be able to use him as a DH eventually, and with his eye and the fact that power usually ages well he'll be great in that role. The no-trade clause is really the only negative I see for the Phils, and he's worth it.

They have him in his prime, when they should have the talent to surround him with a contender, and that's all that matters.

In other news we must identify this anonymous Tiger:

Anthony Fenech‏ @anthonyfenech

The news of Harper's agreement has infiltrated the visitors clubhouse at Champion Stadium. "Why would you want to play that long?" one Tiger said. "This game sucks."

@PavlovicNBCS: I’m told Giants made a 12-year, $310 million offer to Bryce Harper. They were willing to go higher but would have had to go well over $330 million to get it done because of California taxes.

If this guy turned down 4/180, he's a complete fool

From Morosi

In Bryce Harper talks, I am told #Dodgers were willing to offer a four-year deal worth approximately $45 million per season. That would have allowed Harper to shatter the all-time AAV record and become a free agent at age 30. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't wanna sign a 10 yr, 300m contract in Staten Island either if my other choices were LA or SF :shrug:
LA is a terrible city honestly. I know a few people who lived there and moved back. Traffic terrible, smog everyday, the elitist people, etc. Yeah LA has the glitz and the glam and the stars but I've had numerous friends and family move the hell back from there.Now SF Ive heard is amazing. My cousin lived there and goes back and fourth from There and Seattle (actually use to) with his former job he had. 

So if you are an MLB team, which contract would you rather have on the books? I think Machado ... but maybe not.
Harper Manny's OBP is under 300 for his career. Good player but the guy admitted he doesn't even hustle all the time. He was better off signing that deal in SD where the fans won't give a dam about his effort. In Philly or NY had he went either or they would've only taken his #### for so long before it got tiring. 

No opt outs either. Harper didnt want any. Because, you know, he hates Kapler and Philly so much.  :pickle:

Great deal for the Phils!
He also got a full no Trade Clause. Yeah he really hated Phily so Much. But then again Boras was just feeding Heyman info to get everyone to up the anti. I think Bryce was getting tired of the theatrics and wanted this to end by the end of this week. 

Heyman reporting Phillies interest in Kimbrel and Kuechel like it wasn't known but on short term deals 

Philly may look into Keuchel/Kimbrel, but early word is — unlike with Harper — their initial thought would be pretty short-term

@jaysonst: The #Phillies projected to be $74 million under the tax threshold this year before signing Harper. So at just over $25 million in AAV, this deal gives them the flexibility to do more, both this year and beyond. Big reason for extending it over 13 years.
Mike Trout in 2 yrs here we come!!!!!!!! 

Heyman reporting Phillies interest in Kimbrel and Kuechel like it wasn't known but on short term deals 

Philly may look into Keuchel/Kimbrel, but early word is — unlike with Harper — their initial thought would be pretty short-term
Well I would hope they don’t give either of those guys a long term deal.

Well I would hope they don’t give either of those guys a long term deal.
The Phillies usually don't. Klentak and CO are firm believers of going no more then 4 yr deals for most SP 5 for a top guy maybe. Relievers are terrible fickle players too as one year they are amazing and the next look like they don't belong sometimes. 

Harper Manny's OBP is under 300 for his career. Good player but the guy admitted he doesn't even hustle all the time. He was better off signing that deal in SD where the fans won't give a dam about his effort. In Philly or NY had he went either or they would've only taken his #### for so long before it got tiring. 
Yup I don’t think Manny would be a good fit in this town.  Honeymoon period wouldn’t last long 

Yup I don’t think Manny would be a good fit in this town.  Honeymoon period wouldn’t last long 
I only wanted Manny for the #s as I had a yahoo keeper league team that probably won't even be happening after 9 seasons of it now. So If anyone knows any leagues starting up here on the board I'd be interested. I'm looking for free as I'm in a bit of a money jam right now. 

LA is a terrible city honestly. I know a few people who lived there and moved back. Traffic terrible, smog everyday, the elitist people, etc. Yeah LA has the glitz and the glam and the stars but I've had numerous friends and family move the hell back from there.Now SF Ive heard is amazing. My cousin lived there and goes back and fourth from There and Seattle (actually use to) with his former job he had. 
I love SF but I'd relo to LA for $30M

Users who are viewing this thread