What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Offseason Thread: E.Karlsson is a Shark! (1 Viewer)

completely agree.  more of a mess from Bergevin and that organization.

everything I've read though (not just here) seems to be selling Domi short for a guy with his skill and only 3 seasons at 23 years old. 
I liked Domi a lot when he came into the league. Just not sure what went wrong with him since. I'm sure he'll bounce back in Montreal, but still fun to make fun of Bergevin making a bad trade in June for 3 years in a row.

completely agree.  more of a mess from Bergevin and that organization.

everything I've read though (not just here) seems to be selling Domi short for a guy with his skill and only 3 seasons at 23 years old. 
For me, it's less about Domi and more about Montreal's roster as a whole, he just doesn't seem like what you need when you have Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw etc... already. 

I don't think Domi is as good as Drouin and he was last year's trade for a guy they thought might play in the middle but wouldn't fully commit too. 

Domi is good as a playmaking winger who doesn't really like to shoot, which is not what Montreal needed at all. 

Which is to say basically we agree on the players involved but I still don't get what the Habs are trying to accomplish. 

For me, it's less about Domi and more about Montreal's roster as a whole, he just doesn't seem like what you need when you have Pacioretty, Gallagher, Drouin, Lehkonen, Byron, Shaw etc... already. 

I don't think Domi is as good as Drouin and he was last year's trade for a guy they thought might play in the middle but wouldn't fully commit too. 

Domi is good as a playmaking winger who doesn't really like to shoot, which is not what Montreal needed at all. 

Which is to say basically we agree on the players involved but I still don't get what the Habs are trying to accomplish. 
for sure.  and since they are about to lose Pacioretty it makes even less sense.  I think the oddest thing about this is that they didn't move him last summer since all they did was hurt his value more since it's been rumored forever and they clearly had their mind made up on him for a while now.  I guess they couldn't get a decent offer last year?

it's not like they are a contender at all at this point though and if they are going to bury Galchenyuk for whatever reason and view it as a sunk cost then I think you get the most you can for him.  and if that's the case you get the best young talent you can get out there and for that I think they did alright.  plenty of upside to Domi IMO.

Barry Trotz has decided not to return to the Capitals after delivering the franchise’s first Stanley Cup https://t.co/BnLDn4V65m

Dumb.....
dumb by who? I don't understand why people are stunned by this. It seemed the most likely scenario all along to me (even before we learned about the contract extension).

he really had little choice here. clause in his contract said if he won the Cup, it would trigger a 2-year extension with a $300k bump in salary.

So, he was going to be dramatically underpaid and the Caps didn't want to pay him fair value in a renegotiation as they were already planning to turn things over to Reirden. Can't blame Trotz at all here.

Last edited by a moderator:
dumb by who? I don't understand why people are stunned by this. It seemed the most likely scenario all along to me (even before we learned about the contract extension).

he really had little choice here. clause in his contract said if he won the Cup, it would trigger a 2-year extension with a $300k bump in salary.

So, he was going to be dramatically underpaid and the Caps didn't want to pay him fair value in a renegotiation as they were already planning to turn things over to Reirden. Can't blame Trotz at all here.
Yeah - I can't blame him...and honestly, if you told me we could keep Trotz or Carlson, I'd take Carlson all day every day.  (I know the two are unrelated - but just saying I don't think losing Trotz is the end of the world.  Reirdan is ready and I think more than capable.

Anything new on the Karlsson/Hoffman issue?  From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any clear evidence that Hoffman's fiancee posted derogatory messages. Of course, that doesn't mean she's innocent.

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1008697084319600641

Eric Engels‏Verified account @EricEngels 9h9 hours ago

Things change so quickly. A week ago, I didn’t think it was likely the Habs would pass on Zadina at 3. Now, after speaking to several people, it seems they’re locked in on Kotkaniemi. They’ll move down to take him if they can, but it seems they’re willing to take him at 3.
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1008697100488663042

I had spoken to a couple of sources, including one very close to the organization, in the lead up to last week. They had told me Zadina was going 3rd. That there was separation there. Habs have even left some with the impression they’re going with a dman or Tkachuk.
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1008697105265852416

But everything I’ve heard since Friday morning is about Kotkaniemi.
https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1008698565252743168

There are no guarantees with any of this. The one thing that casts some doubt on it is the pressure Bergevin is under to get an NHL-ready player. The thing is, that pales in comparison to the pressure he’s under to get centres into the organization.

Updated TSN Draft Rankings by Bobby Mac: https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov

3. Tkachuk

4. Zadina

5. Kotkaniemi

6. Dobson

7. Bouchard

8. Hughes

9. Wahlstrom

10. Boqvist

So, yes, it is the Rasmus Dahlin draft.

But a funny thing happened, a few of them actually, on the way to the Swede’s official coronation as the No. 1 prospect in the 2018 NHL draft Friday night in Dallas.

Let’s start with Russian winger Andrei Svechnikov of the Barrie Colts.

At first glance, his ranking has not changed one bit. He’s still No. 2 on TSN’s final ranking, just as he was in the preseason, mid-season and draft lottery edition rankings.

But this time it’s unanimous, and it’s the first of a number of notable draft developments that have unfolded over the last couple of months that could make even the top 10 of this Friday’s draft more unpredictable than originally anticipated.

“If you want to know the truth,” one scout said, “Svechnikov may be closer to Dahlin for No. 1 than the rest of the field is to Svechnikov.”

The point is, outside of Dahlin, Svechnikov has separated himself from the rest of the field.

Svechnikov has size, speed and skill. He can play a power game or a finesse game, make plays or score goals any way they can be scored - off the rush, one timers from far out, getting his nose dirty in front of the net or off the cycle.

As Russians go, Svechnikov is well acclimated to the North American game and life, having lived with his mother in Muskegon and Barrie for the past two years. He’s not absolutely fluent in speaking or understanding English but he more than gets by. His older brother, Evgeny, a first-round pick of the Detroit Red Wings in 2015, played two years in the Quebec League and two years in the American Hockey League.

Which brings us to the other notable change.

For much of this season, the top end of this draft was perceived to be structured on a 1-3-4 basis.

That is, Dahlin in a class by himself at the top. There’s the one.

The next level or grouping was the three wingers - Svechnikov, Czech Filip Zadina of the Halifax Mooseheads and American Brady Tkachuk of Boston University. There’s the three. Different scouts had different views on ordering of the three wingers, but for much of this season, that trio along with Dahlin looked like a dead-set certain top four.

Technically, it still is.

TSN’s final rankings have Tkachuk at No. 3 and Zadina at No. 4, but there is a notable element of uncertainty there where little or none existed before.

For example, while Zadina is still very much a consensus top-five pick, relative to the other prospects, five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked him outside their top five. Five scouts had him in the top five, including three of them at No. 3, but he had three 6’s, a 7 and a 9 as well. That’s a far cry from the mid-season polling, when all of Zadina’s marks came in between 2 and 4.

“I don’t think Zadina necessarily did anything negative as much as so many others stepped up their game,” a scout said.

Zadina has quick hands and feet, thrives in tight and small spaces and is able to get off an incredible release on a shot that is arguably the best in the draft, as his 44 goals in 57 games would attest. He’s not as big and powerful as Svechnikov or Tkachuk — relative to the other top picks, Zadina’s physical testing scores at the NHL combine were, at best, average — but his ability to make plays and score goals is as good as it gets.

Tkachuk, meanwhile, is a lot less refined and less polished than the other elite picks but the big raw-boned winger plays a hard-driving, aggravating power and agitation game. He proved at the World Junior Championship he can score and make plays in a pressure event against elite competition, which was a good thing since his overall lack of productivity at Boston University was becoming something of a concern. But Tkachuk appears to have that certain something and only one of our 10 scouts surveyed had him outside the top five.

Zadina and Tkachuk, incidentally, are late 1999 birthdates. Dahlin and Svechnikov are 2000s.

Which brings us to the other development. The four in 1-3-4.

For much of the season, once you got past Dahlin (1) and the layer of wingers (3), there appeared to be a notable separation to the next grouping of prospects that happened to be four defencemen — Swede Adam Boqvist, American Quinn Hughes and the top two Canadian prospects in the draft, Evan Bouchard and Noah Dobson. As was the case with the three wingers, talk to different scouts and you would get a differing ordering of the four blueliners.

But there was, for a great deal of this season, a sense Dahlin and the three wingers and four defencemen could be the clear top eight in this draft.

Kaboom. So much for that notion.

The No. 5 spot on TSN’s final rankings goes to Finnish centre Jesperi Kotkaniemi, who was No. 19 on the mid-season rankings and No. 10 on the draft lottery edition rankings. His strong performance at the World Under-18 Championships in April has vaulted him into the top five and provided this draft with something that it seemed to be missing all season long — a potential No. 1 centre.

Scouts tend to be positionally biased. Centres and defencemen, generally speaking, tend to be more highly valued than wingers. So perhaps it was inevitable that trio of top wingers would be challenged for their top-five status.

In any case, here’s how the rest of the TSN top 10 shakes out:

6. Noah Dobson. The big 6-foot-3 defenceman from the Acadie–Bathurst Titan played so well and so long in leading his team to the Memorial Cup title. Dobson is a strong skater with a high degree of creativity, vision and offensive prowess. Scouts feel we’re only seeing the tip of the iceberg here. Worth noting: Four of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have Dobson in their top five.

7. Evan Bouchard. The third-year OHL defenceman from the London Knights put up spectacular offensive numbers. The heady 6-foot-2 blueliner is arguably the best passer in the game. Long bombs, short outlets to get the attack started – he can do it all. He makes great passes to the right people at the right time, but also has a good shot from the blueline. Bouchard’s skating is said to be good, not necessarily great, but by no means a liability. Although Bouchard is less than three months older than Dobson, he is technically viewed a year older, a late 1999 birth date as opposed to 2000.

8. Quinn Hughes. The University of Michigan American freshman defenceman has a wow factor to his game. He is the first of a plethora of smart, skilled and dynamic sub-6 foot offensive blueliners in this draft. He plays a go-go-go offensive game, at times more like a rover than a defenceman. He’s fearless, not afraid to make high-risk, high-reward but also high-danger plays. Critics would say he’s not defensively sound or aware; boosters would say he doesn’t need to play much D because the puck is always on his stick. Also a late 1999 birthdate, Hughes played well for Team USA at the senior men’s World Championship.

9. Oliver Wahlstrom. The American winger from the U.S. National Development Team program started out as a nine-year-old YouTube sensation who scored a dazzling highlight-reel shootout goal at a Boston Bruin game, but he’s all grown up now at 6-foot-1 and 200-plus pounds. He’s an elite shooter and goal scorer. Some say he’s somewhat one dimensional — “He needs a good centre to get him the puck because he’s not good at getting it himself,” one scout said — but what a dimension to have because scouts project him as a potential first-line scoring winger in the NHL.

10. Adam Boqvist. At a shade under six feet tall, the Swede is a dynamic offensive defenceman. He started and finished the season on extremely high notes — he was the best defenceman at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 tourney last August and again at the Under-18 World Championship in April. In between those two events, his game wavered a bit at times as he bounced around to three different teams in three different leagues, playing mostly in the Swedish junior loop but also seeing some time in the elite league and second division. Like Hughes, Boqvist’s defensive acumen is sometimes questioned.

Anything new on the Karlsson/Hoffman issue?  From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be any clear evidence that Hoffman's fiancee posted derogatory messages. Of course, that doesn't mean she's innocent.
Sens fan message board seem to think that Hoff's gf is guilty.   Marlee Hammond tweeted that this wasn't a surprise.  Ooops.  Looks like Hoffman has a big problem.

Trotz walking away shouldn't be a surprise at all.The writing has been on the wall for this for a good 3 or 4 months(maybe even longer behind the scenes).Word I had gotten back then was Trotz and GMBM didn't agree on a lot of things with the main point of how he was treating certain younger players that didn't sit well with the front office and couple the fact in that Reirden has been the chosen one for over a year to take over this made things really simple for all involved.

Reirden was already running the defense and ST's so he should slide right in without much growing pains.As has been stated already if they lose Carlson I would be much more upset but for me I already had my mind made up Trotz wasn't coming back no matter what they did in the post-season.

With all that said.I hope Trotz lands somewhere in the West.Thanks for all he did and bringing a Cup to D.C. already writes his name down in hockey greats as far as coaching goes in this town.The way they played during the Cup run was something they didn't show the entire season and he also seemed to coach a little different as well with how he turned it over to Grubauer and not Holtby(which could have been a monumental fail and almost was).

Japers' Rink   @JapersRink

The Caps are changing coaches and not one writer is blaming Ovi. What a brave new world indeed.

:lmao:

You can see why the Sens owner wanted Boedker 

@CapFriendly: Mike Hoffman - 2 x 5,187,500 ($11.3M in salary remaining)
Cody Donaghey - 1 x $641,667 (ELC)

Mikkel Boedker - 2 x $4,000,000 ($6M in salary remaining)
Julius Bergman - 1 x $714,167 (ELC)

#Sens save $1,187,500 per season in cap space.
#Sens save $5,300,000 in total salary paid.

@ian_mendes: Gotta hand it to Doug Wilson and the Sharks. Rolled the dice on Evander Kane and now doing it with Mike Hoffman. 

It's hard to find goal scorers in this league, but San Jose is willing to put up with some baggage - either real or perceived - to acquire high-end skill.

Hahahaha

@SWhyno: #FlaPanthers get Mike Hoffman, 2018 seventh-round pick from #SJSharks for 2019 second-round pick, 2018 fourth-round pick and 2018 fifth-round pick.

This Sens shtick is awesome.

@frank_seravalli: Pierre Dorion is a big believer in not trading players within his own division. Often says he rarely talks shop with other GMs in the division. Interesting play by #sjsharks.

@frank_seravalli: Pretty good day for Doug Wilson. He gets rid of Mikkel Boedker and trades a 6th round pick in exchange for a 2nd, a 4th and two 5th round picks, plus $4 million in cap space and $6 million in real salary savings. #sjsharks

dom ?‏Verified account @domluszczyszyn 52s52 seconds ago

sharks gm: i knew the sens were dumb, but wow i didn’t think they would really trade hoffman for magic beans

intern: you might want to look at this *shows him the hoffman news*

gm: my god, now we need to find someone dumber than the sens

intern: dale tallon is already on line 1

San Jose added 4 picks and $4MM in cap space (saved $6MM in actual salary)?

they have so much cap space. if they miss out on Tavares, wonder if they go after Carlson or something.

looks like a return to the early 90s for the ole Sens.  if I was that fan who donated I'd be asking for my liver back.

They should have given up #4 overall and full out tanked for Jack Hughes. Especially when there's a big drop after #2 overall in this year's draft. 
tough to say. even if they tank, they could still wind up picking 4th a year from now and not sure the player would be an upgrade over Zadina/Tkachuck types they can get now.

I think their hope was to keep Karlsson so it made sense to take this pick and hope next year's is not that high. But if Karlsson gets shipped out then how do you convince Duchene to stick around? If both those guys are gone, then this team is almost certainly going to be terrible for a long time.

the guy Duchene finally clicked with was Hoffman too.  he's going to walk.

no worries though, they have Gaborik locked up long term to help hit that cap floor once they move Ryan and Karlsson.

Wasn't that long ago that the Sens were asking for a good mint for Hoffman and now they basically just give him away.

https://theathletic.com/397138/2018/06/19/dellow-galchenyuk-domi-trade-isnt-a-home-run-for-canadiens-but-they-just-might-score-more-at-5-on-5/

Much has been made since this trade of the fact that Domi doesn’t really score goals and Galchenyuk does. With all due respect to people making that point, this seems like it sort of misses the point. Domi’s not a goalscorer. In his three year career though, his teammates have finished better with him on the ice than they have when he’s not at 5-on-5. Only 21 players have seen their teammates’ on-ice shooting percentages improve by more than two points when they’re on the ice (minimum 1,000 shots) in the last three years.
Arizona’s defencemen and their forwards both tended to finish better when Domi was on the ice. Arizona’s defencemen have shot 7.2 per cent when Domi’s been on the ice as compared to 4.1 per cent when he’s on the bench. The forwards have shot 11.4 per cent with him on the ice and 9.0 per cent when he’s been on the bench. This hasn’t happened with Galchenyuk on the ice over the past three seasons. Montreal’s defencemen have shot 4.1 per cent with Galchenyuk on the ice and 3.3 per cent with him on the bench. The forwards have shot 8.3 per cent with him on the ice and 8.0 per cent with him on the bench.
Looking through the data for Domi, I noticed something curious: the man earns first assists on a lot of the goals scored when he’s on the ice.

Over the past three years, the typical forward earns a first assist on about 26.3 per cent of the 5-on-5 goals scored by defencemen when he’s on the ice. Defencemen get a first assist on 14.8 per cent of the goals scored when they’re on the ice and about 6.2 per cent of the goals are unassisted. Domi’s had the first assist on 5-on-5 goals scored by a defenceman when he’s on the ice 44 per cent of the time so far in his career.

The goals scored by forwards have been similar for Domi. The average forward gets a first assist on 35 per cent of the 5-on-5 goals scored by forwards other than him when he’s on the ice. The average defenceman gets a first assist on 12.2 per cent of those goals and 5.7 per cent are unassisted. Domi’s had first assists on 45.8 per cent of the 5-on-5 goals scored by forwards for which he’s been on the ice. So the Coyotes have finished well with Domi on the ice and a disproportionate number of their goals have seen him credited with a first assist.
So was it a good trade for Montreal? Well, subject to what happens over the next month, the Canadiens’ power play seems to be worse off, although this will be one of those things that goes on the list of changes to watch and see whether Galchenyuk’s loss matters or it was the Drouin Show all along. There’s no obvious spot for Domi on PP1. There is a reasonable argument that they’ll score more at 5-on-5, even if it’s not Domi scoring. In broad terms, it seems like a wash to me, with the potential to be more if it turns out that Galchenyuk’s contributions to PP1 are replaceable.

With Domi’s cap hit coming in at $1.75-million cheaper than Galchenyuk’s and four years of club control remaining as opposed to two with Galchenyuk, this trade seems like a smart risk for the Canadiens. You can, I think, fairly critique Bergevin’s habit of selling low but in this case, there’s probably an element of buying low as well. Domi’s not a player around whom you build a Stanley Cup contender but he’s created 5-on-5 offence to this point in his career. It’s not a home run but, as with many things in the 21st century, the bar to call something a success for the Canadiens is lower now.

they kept their pick this year, which means next year's goes to Colorado in the Duchene trade
I guess Ottawa can still decide to give the pick this year... Given this:

@KathrynTappen  The @Senators are not finished dealing their star players in this full rebuild. They are pushing to trade Erik Karlsson and Zach Smith within the next week. #TradeTalk

maybe they still do

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Don’t be surprised if veteran NHL coach Dan Bylsma re-surfaces this week behind an NHL bench as an assistant coach. DET is the most likely landing spot.

I guess Ottawa can still decide to give the pick this year... Given this:

@KathrynTappen  The @Senators are not finished dealing their star players in this full rebuild. They are pushing to trade Erik Karlsson and Zach Smith within the next week. #TradeTalk

maybe they still do
Yeah reading a different article, OTT can wait until they're on the clock.

And there's this clarification 

@reporterchris: Note on the 1st-round pick OTT is due to send COL in Duchene trade: It has to be the #sens own, either this year (No. 4) or next year (TBD), under the terms of the deal. Which means it can't be another one OTT might acquire.

Users who are viewing this thread