What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Offseason Thread: E.Karlsson is a Shark! (1 Viewer)

Leafs are already paying Phil Kessel 1.2M to not play for them, if he's traded, Leafs still pay that part. Chris Johnston was suggesting Pittsburgh could retain a similar part of his salary if he's moved, bringing the amount owed to him by the team acquiring him to around 5.6M (he makes 8M per).

That would certainly make him an intriguing addition for a few teams but I want to go the other way. 

Pittsburgh can retain 1.2M and send him back to Toronto. They're paying him anyway, might as well get something for that $$$. We can start the offer at... Kasperi Kapanen

:coffee:

And he also might be able to bring Grubauer into the mix as well.
while that's likely an upgrade, I think the bigger issue with the Isles last year was how atrocious their defense was. they scored a ton but didn't care much about their own end. dumping Weight and upgrading to Trotz will probably make any goalie look a ton better.

while that's likely an upgrade, I think the bigger issue with the Isles last year was how atrocious their defense was. they scored a ton but didn't care much about their own end. dumping Weight and upgrading to Trotz will probably make any goalie look a ton better.
Not a ton of great options on D via free agency so trading may be the best option for them at this stage.

If Carlson follows him to N.Y. I will puke.

D was very bad but goaltending was just, if not bigger poop in a diaper. 

Halak was great a times and absolutely putrid for stretches. Any lead within 2 min left in the game was never a sure win. 

I have zero faith in Griesse, Not a solid goaltender at all, out of position all the time and horrid rebounds. 

I only hope they don't over pay for Grubauer, but given the lack of goalies on the market, and their overall need, I think they will have to somewhat. Just hope it is part of a package and we can get another piece. 

Not a ton of great options on D via free agency so trading may be the best option for them at this stage.

If Carlson follows him to N.Y. I will puke.
they seem to have a lot of young guys ready to contribute like Pelech, Pulock, Aho, and Toews.

Adding 1 more good vet would certainly help but I get your point here and agree.

They are in good position cap wise as well-Link
trading away Hamonic and possibly losing De Haan to free agency and the fact Boychuk is 34 years old and likely not able to handle top-pair minutes much longer does create some problems there for sure.

which is interesting for the team that went 9 instead of 11 so they could protect more D.  then they gave them 15th overall, a 19 2nd, and Bischoff to take Grabovski off their hands and Berube instead of Bailey who had a great year.

Andrew Ladd (F)
Anders Lee (F)
John Tavares (F)
Johnny Boychuk (D)
Travis Hamonic (D)
Nick Leddy (D)
Adam Pelech (D)
Ryan Pulock (D)
Thomas Greiss (G)

which is interesting for the team that went 9 instead of 11 so they could protect more D.  then they gave them 15th overall, a 19 2nd, and Bischoff to take Grabovski off their hands and Berube instead of Bailey who had a great year.
I just chalk all this up to Garth Snow being pretty bad at his (former) job

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone give me the cliffs on how all this happened with him leaving wash and suddenly going to ny?
His contract expired and both sides planned to move on after this year. 

Team made a surprising run to win the Cup.

Winning the Cup triggered a clause in his contract that gave him a 2yr extension with a $300k raise for $1.8MM/year. 

Caps had no interest in paying him market value because they have a head coach in waiting already. 

So he walked away and signed for $4MM/yr with the Islanders. 

His contract expired and both sides planned to move on after this year. 

Team made a surprising run to win the Cup.

Winning the Cup triggered a clause in his contract that gave him a 2yr extension with a $300k raise for $1.8MM/year. 

Caps had no interest in paying him market value because they have a head coach in waiting already. 

So he walked away and signed for $4MM/yr with the Islanders. 
You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

They could have just protected him, no?
Yep, depends how much of it was about ridding themselves of Grabovski's deal but you'd think they could have LTIR'd him anyway, I don't remember his circumstances at the time. 

At the time, i understand why wanting to keep Tavares/Lee/Ladd/Bailey and Leddy/Pulock/Harmonic/Pelech made some sense. 

Russo reporting that the WIld and Yotes discussed Zucker/Nino/Ennis for Domi/Dvorak.  clears a bunch of cap and gets rid of Ennis contract but man is that a lot to give up.  not really excited about what Fenton is going to do here if this is where his mind is at.

I hated that Pominville trade dump last summer from the start but it's amusing that they are now desperately trying to shed Ennis' contract and Foligno's isn't much better.  gave away a quality d man for nothing and set the chain reaction in motion to let two good players go to Vegas while accomplishing nothing.  brutal.

I think Ennis has gotten a bad wrap in Minnesota too though.  he's not nearly as bad as Boudreau thinks he is but the guy hates him.

unless they can get a sweetheart deal the worst thing they can do here is sell low on Nino and or Coyle.  that is not going to make them any better.  have to sell high on Zucker, Staal, or maybe even Dumba or move a guy like Brodin who has good value and hope you get lucky.  trading D is a big risk though, especially with the severity of Suter's injury.

I think Ennis has gotten a bad wrap in Minnesota too though.  he's not nearly as bad as Boudreau thinks he is but the guy hates him.
I don't understand why his game fell apart so much. Was a really good player early in his career on some bad Sabres teams. Was hoping he could bounce back in a better situation.

I don't understand why his game fell apart so much. Was a really good player early in his career on some bad Sabres teams. Was hoping he could bounce back in a better situation.
he was never given any rope.  he gets bumped off one puck and he's back in the press box.  was never allowed to make a mistake.  I don't think that did much for his confidence either.

I actually thought he plays a lot bigger than his stature.  not a great player by any means but serviceable middle 6 guy.  great hands/puck skills as you know.

if they weren't going to use him though I don't understand that trade because it saved no cap with Foligno and now they are looking at buying out Ennis anyway.  Foligno is a dime a dozen guy.

Just wanted to publicly thank Cav for sending me a Francis Carolina Jersey.  He posted last month about getting rid of some older stuff he had.  My son is a huge fan.  The Jersey arrived today and He graduates from high school tonight, so I'll be able to give it to him after the ceremony.  Thanks a lot!  You're a good man and will make my son pretty happy tonight!

Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun 2m2 minutes ago

Meeting between Elias Lindholm camp and Hurricanes' brass did not go well today, I'm told. Still far apart on a contract. A trade now is very much possible.

One person just told me the Bruins are up to something, but won't spill the beans.  :wall:

Another thinks they're putting everything into landing Kovalchuk, but that could change.

Sounds like they're sniffing around Klefbom, at least. Maybe Chiarelli throws in the Nuge, just as a goodwill gesture.

@Capitals 37s37 seconds ago

More

TRADE | The Washington Capitals have acquired a second round pick, 47th-overall from the Colorado Avalanche in the 2018 NHL Draft in exchange for defenseman Brooks Orpik and Philipp Grubauer

Further to @HackswithHaggs report on #NHLBruins and #Oilers trade talks regarding Torey Krug and Oscar Klefbom, I am told right now one of Danton Heinen or Anders Bjork and 10th overall pick could be involved. Lots happening!

6:51 PM - Jun 22, 2018
Yeah, I saw both of those reports. I think the B's still are trying to figure out a way to get Hanifin from Carolina.

Users who are viewing this thread