What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NHL Offseason Thread: E.Karlsson is a Shark! (1 Viewer)

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Don’t be surprised if veteran NHL coach Dan Bylsma re-surfaces this week behind an NHL bench as an assistant coach. DET is the most likely landing spot.
that's seemed pretty likely for awhile given he worked with Blashiill in the Worlds. Not exactly breaking news.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Don’t be surprised if veteran NHL coach Dan Bylsma re-surfaces this week behind an NHL bench as an assistant coach. DET is the most likely landing spot.
This is fairly old news.  Detroit rags have been talking about this for a week or so.  IMO Blashill is on a short lease and having Bylsma on staff just makes it that much easier to jettison him if the Wings aren't playing well in the fall.

Penguins tried trading Kessel to Arizona but they refused to take on that contract and said they plan to only reach the salary cap floor.

also, this is funny to me:

The Penguins were very much attempting to acquire Max Domi last week. However, the Coyotes ultimately sent him to Montreal in return for Alex Galchenyuk.

Sources in the Penguins’ organization confirmed that Rutherford made Bryan Rust, Conor Sheary or Dominik Simon available in a deal that would involve Domi. The Coyotes opted for Galchenyuk
https://theathletic.com/399288/2018/06/19/phil-kessel-not-opposed-to-leaving-penguins-via-trade/

Last edited by a moderator:
my spies are saying the Trotz/Isles deal is very close. Possible press conference tomorrow. Lou wants him under contract for the draft. 

Tallon says he talked with Dorion before the Sharks deal and the price was too high and they wanted players not picks.  because when you're in a full tear down everyone knows you want players not picks.  like guys with bad contracts who haven't hit 40 points since 2014.

they must be really worried about hitting that cap floor.

Tallon says he talked with Dorion before the Sharks deal and the price was too high and they wanted players not picks.  because when you're in a full tear down everyone knows you want players not picks.  like guys with bad contracts who haven't hit 40 points since 2014.

they must be really worried about hitting that cap floor.
https://theathletic.com/398880/2018/06/19/dellow-mike-hoffman-trade-a-bad-start-to-a-big-month-for-the-senators/

It’s no secret what Hoffman is or what his loss means to the Senators. So let’s look at Boedker for a minute. The Sharks signed him to a four year deal with an AAV of $4-million in 2016. The deal was kind of laughed at when it was signed because there wasn’t a lot of evidence that Boedker was a useful hockey player.

Boedker put up one of the emptiest 50+ point seasons in NHL history in his walk year on the back of nearly four minutes per night in 5-on-4 time, the 15th highest 5-on-4 TOI/G of the post-Lockout III era. He barely crested 3.0 points per 60, which is terrible but played enough to pile up the counting numbers. That summer San Jose inexplicably paid him. He started accumulating healthy scratches in the first year of his deal, which is hard to do, given that healthy scratches make the GM look bad.

His possession numbers are historically abysmal — the only time he’s put up a positive relative possession number since 2011-12 was in his brief stint with Patrick Roy’s Colorado Avalanche in 2015-16. His relative Corsi% was a stunning -5.1 per cent last year. That’s not just a result of being on a bad line either — Boedker spent most of his time in the middle six and both lines did better from a possession perspective when he wasn’t around. He was able to keep his head above water last year by virtue of a hot shooting percentage run but over the course of his career, there’s no evidence that he’s one of the players who can succeed that way.

So all of this looks bad. And then, shortly after the San Jose-Ottawa trade is announced, the dagger: San Jose flips Hoffman to Florida for draft picks. A lot of concerning things flow from this. Did Ottawa want Boedker? It kind of seems like they did. Which is ludicrous, given where Ottawa’s at. I’ve seen some suggestion that maybe the Senators liked Boedker’s contract from the perspective of needing to get to the cap floor but that doesn’t really make sense. The league is awash in bad contracts that teams would happily move along. No team needs to forego draft picks in order to get a contract to hit the floor. Worse comes to worst, overpay someone for one year in free agency.

Anyone can get a player wrong but what’s really bad is that it just seems like the Senators are way out of their depth in terms of operating an NHL team.

Of course, then you run into the question of whether Ottawa would have even perceived the picks on offer from Florida to be a better package. According to Panthers GM Dale Tallon, when he was talking to Ottawa about Hoffman, they wanted players, not picks. Given that that’s what they ultimately accepted from San Jose, that seems to check out. That suggests a much bigger problem than any one trade: they don’t understand where they’re at or what will help them get out of it.

Bob Gainey joined my local Peterborough Petes as a senior advisor today. It sounds like he's going to be fairly hands on (including trying to recruit the Petes top pick who is refusing to report). He's doing it as a volunteer and could pretty clearly get an NHL job if he wanted - but he lives here and says he doesn't want the travel with a pro job. Most people don't love the GM here, so it would be nice if he could be sort of a de facto GM, even though I'm sure if that was what he wanted he would do it somewhere that would pay him lots of money.

Do people think Grubauer is a legit #1 goalie? I’m not sold. 
I listened to NHL Radio this afternoon and they were discussing whether acquiring him would move the needle enough to get Tavares to return (if the team's ability to contend is a major factor), they (Patrick O'Sullivan and some other guy) landed on no.

O'Sullivan was saying the dislike for Hoffman in the Ottawa dressing room went way beyond just the Karlsson stuff and he had to be moved.

Pierre Lebrun was on too talking about Tavares, he said if it isn't the Islanders, it's likely San Jose or Vegas, he said Toronto would make a pitch but didn't think they were serious contenders. 

It's a pretty awful free agent class in terms of goalies otherwise.

Carter Hutton

Jaroslav Halak

Jonathan Bernier

Kari Lehtonen

Is ROR being dealt for sure? Seems to be a lot of rumours around him - if he went to Montreal it might change how I feel about the Domi pick up.
I kind of hope not but it may happen if they get a great offer. I just don’t know that Montreal has the assets to make it work. #3 pick would be a must probably but not sure that’s enough. 

Carolina (or Vancouver maybe) seem like better fits to me but not sure. 

The Sabres do need to change things up somehow bc the mix they have right now was pretty disappointing for whatever reason. 

They need help at LW and RHD and G but I don’t think trading a C is the answer unless you get a huge return. 

Do people think Grubauer is a legit #1 goalie? I’m not sold. 
Wouldn't call him legit but I'm sure some team will give him a shot at the gig.I consider him a slightly better version of Neuvirth who seems to be able to stay healthy.

Can't see any team giving up a 1 for him but if they can pull a 2nd out of the deal I would be very happy.I expect around a 3rd.

Wouldn't call him legit but I'm sure some team will give him a shot at the gig.I consider him a slightly better version of Neuvirth who seems to be able to stay healthy.

Can't see any team giving up a 1 for him but if they can pull a 2nd out of the deal I would be very happy.I expect around a 3rd.
banter on twitter seems to think a late 1st/early 2nd would be the price.

if you look at what the price was for Lehner (1st) and Andersen (1st and 2nd), tough to take much less for a guy with a career .923 save %.

but I worry about his sample size (79 starts) and the fact he played on one of the best teams in the league for most of that time. Lehner had 76 starts with Ottawa, but I think most would agree that Murray overpaid for him.

If the Sabres were to part with the 32nd pick for Grubauer for example, I would not be happy unless they were able to offset that by getting something decent back for Lehner.

banter on twitter seems to think a late 1st/early 2nd would be the price.

if you look at what the price was for Lehner (1st) and Andersen (1st and 2nd), tough to take much less for a guy with a career .923 save %.

but I worry about his sample size (79 starts) and the fact he played on one of the best teams in the league for most of that time. Lehner had 76 starts with Ottawa, but I think most would agree that Murray overpaid for him.

If the Sabres were to part with the 32nd pick for Grubauer for example, I would not be happy unless they were able to offset that by getting something decent back for Lehner.
Sample size is without question a big concern.I would think the Canes and Isles would be leading the list to try and trade for him but the Sabres would be an interesting choice as well.I like the guy but as you said he had a very good team in front of him and his one really good stretch of games came after the trade deadline where the Caps seemed to have started to click and he was rewarded.

I tend to think the price will be lower simply because teams know the Caps have to move him but if the demand for his services are from a few more teams a 1st could be the price paid.I thought Neuvirth would be better as well but he just could never stay healthy.

Sample size is without question a big concern.I would think the Canes and Isles would be leading the list to try and trade for him but the Sabres would be an interesting choice as well.
All reports on the Sabres are that they plan to move on from Lehner and are looking for someone to share the crease/compete with Linus Ullmark. They definitely need a goalie but they can hopefully find a cheaper option to serve the same purpose.

Islanders and Carolina both make a ton of sense. Agreed there. Red Wings are also an interesting possibility since all they really have is Howard with 1 year left before he hits UFA.

Of course the NHL can't do the right thing and have the Pens in for the banner raising,expected nothing less.

This is probably spot on

@charlieo_conn: My view on the Selke is the way it is awarded & viewed by the general hockey world now -- going to the best two-way center in hockey -- Sean Couturier has the best case. But my guess is that Kopitar wins. This is the "hey writers, now I should be a yearly nominee" year for Coots.

This is probably spot on

@charlieo_conn: My view on the Selke is the way it is awarded & viewed by the general hockey world now -- going to the best two-way center in hockey -- Sean Couturier has the best case. But my guess is that Kopitar wins. This is the "hey writers, now I should be a yearly nominee" year for Coots.
Kopitar deserves it imo

I just got home and turned on the awards show to see some kid talking to Kopitar and then Belushi rambling nonsense has the whole show been this painful?

Users who are viewing this thread