What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 All Things Closers Thread (2 Viewers)

Ryan Brasier with his second save for Red Sox. Looks like he might have a chance to get the bulk of opportunities at this point. Of course that could change in a minute. 

Ryan Brasier with his second save for Red Sox. Looks like he might have a chance to get the bulk of opportunities at this point. Of course that could change in a minute. 
I'm calling him the Budgie cuz he looks at hitters like a bird whose cage they just tapped. Barnes won't last and this guy has a imperviousness i like.

I'm calling him the Budgie cuz he looks at hitters like a bird whose cage they just tapped. Barnes won't last and this guy has a imperviousness i like.
My buddies and I called him Costanza last year. He doesn't look like an athlete, just looks like a guy you would see on the streets like George Costanza. 

My buddies and I called him Costanza last year. He doesn't look like an athlete, just looks like a guy you would see on the streets like George Costanza. 
I'm a Vermonter. If we see people who look like George Costanza on the street, we call him names and sometimes syrup&feather him

So far I really haven’t been chasing saves. Picked up a few speculative plays but pretty much dropped them within two days. Didn’t even attempt to roster Sam Dyson for example, meh. 

So I wonder if the cheapskate Braves will meet Kimbrell halfway? 

I ####ed up one of my leegs, so Robert Stephenson and Nick Anderson enjoy bending me over with your inevitable regression. 

A setback for Brandon Morrow
The one and only time that Theo Epstein has directly called out Joe Maddon was the game Joe brought Morrow in to pitch for the third day in a row (on a day he was specifically scheduled to rest) against the lowly Mets when the Cubs had a nine run lead.

Morrow had been lights out up to that point, but then after the physical problems began. If the Cubs and Joe part in an acrimonious way, this game can be looked at as the first fracture between Joe and Theo/Jed. 

Chapman was really grinding out there. He couldn't get his fastball past Zach Cozart or Brian Goodwin. Cozart really working him, fouling off a bunch of pitches before getting HBP. 

Likely nothing to see here with Emilio Pagan, but with the wackyness of the Rays staff I took a shot and grabbed him in Uber. He could be sent back down in a couple days but something to watch  :shrug:  

Cody Allen out of Angels closer role. 

Angels' manager Brad Ausmus announced Wednesday that Cody Allen is no longer the team's closer.

Ausmus indicated that they'll use the other options in the ninth inning while trying to get the veteran right-hander back on track. Allen, 30, owns a 5.40 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 9/7 K/BB ratio across 8 1/3 innings on the season. Ty Buttrey seems to be the most likely candidate to see save chances for the Angels, though Hansel Robles, Cam Bedrosian, Luis Garcia and Justin Anderson could all factor into the mix as well.

SOURCE: Jeff Fletcher on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 7:19 PM

Cody Allen out of Angels closer role. 

Angels' manager Brad Ausmus announced Wednesday that Cody Allen is no longer the team's closer.

Ausmus indicated that they'll use the other options in the ninth inning while trying to get the veteran right-hander back on track. Allen, 30, owns a 5.40 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 9/7 K/BB ratio across 8 1/3 innings on the season. Ty Buttrey seems to be the most likely candidate to see save chances for the Angels, though Hansel Robles, Cam Bedrosian, Luis Garcia and Justin Anderson could all factor into the mix as well.

SOURCE: Jeff Fletcher on Twitter

Apr 24, 2019, 7:19 PM
They then keep Buttrey out there for three inning save...  What a mess

Anybody ready for another ride on the Cam Bedrosian Express?
They used him as an opener yesterday.  Totally confused me because I started watching in the 3rd inning and Felix Pena's stats were all an inning off.  I couldn't figure out why his IP didn't match the game and his pitch count was really low.  I had no idea they were doing this and thought Pena was finally being really efficient.  Of course the Angels go on to blow a 5-0 lead and lose. 

I’d give my left arm for 13 saves ROY off of the wire in the AL.  Seems so much more difficult this year to identify good shots

Eephus said:
Raisel Iglesias sucks but he speaks for all fantasy owners when it comes to closer usage
Yep, he's been excellent in the traditional closer role, even notching 3+ out saves a bunch and now they are F'ing with him <_<  

Eephus said:
Raisel Iglesias sucks but he speaks for all fantasy owners when it comes to closer usage
He’s going to like it even less when the Reds are sellers this summer in part due to all his losses and he becomes a setup man somewhere. 

Eephus said:
Always thought Iglesias had near-optimum closer stuff but didn't get enough save ops w bad Reds teams to keep his edge and i was sure he was who Dombrowski was targeting to replace Kimbrel. RStephenson looks like a natural closer too - following a similar career track as Raisel - and since this is Iglesias' value-trade season i want to sneak him onto deeper lineups but he'll probably continue the same frustrating course as his predecessor. You'd think if the Reds are gonna turn all their #1 pitching prospects into closers they'd do a better job of it.

Always thought Iglesias had near-optimum closer stuff but didn't get enough save ops w bad Reds teams to keep his edge and i was sure he was who Dombrowski was targeting to replace Kimbrel. RStephenson looks like a natural closer too - following a similar career track as Raisel - and since this is Iglesias' value-trade season i want to sneak him onto deeper lineups but he'll probably continue the same frustrating course as his predecessor. You'd think if the Reds are gonna turn all their #1 pitching prospects into closers they'd do a better job of it.
If Dombrowski cared about bullpens Tigers would have won at least two titles. glllllllllll

I feel like Minter will get a chance again soon in Atlanta. 

Minnesota looks to have moved away from Parker (May got the save when Rogers was NA).

Baltimore went back to Givens pretty quickly. 

Toronto is a mess without Giles. Biagini likely keeps getting chances but he can be pretty brutal.

Is Boston all Barnes now? Brasier way out of the picture (and the majors), I have a couple shares of Workman/Walden still.

Still think Buttrey could overtake Robles.

Treinen isn't the same pitcher this year but neither is Lou Trivino. I've always had a soft spot for Liam Hendriks but I think Treinen gets lots of leash despite the 1.46 whip (which goes up to 1.67 over the last month, 1.86 last two weeks and 2.25 past week) :oldunsure:

You would think the Cubs would have remembered what happened with Greg Holland and St. Louis last year, and avoided such a debacle, but obviously not.

Kimbrel looks stiff and unpolished. He looks like a guy who is in the middle stage of spring training, just at that point where he has completed stretching and is beginning to work on his repertoire in a B-game.  

You would think the Cubs would have remembered what happened with Greg Holland and St. Louis last year, and avoided such a debacle, but obviously not.

Kimbrel looks stiff and unpolished. He looks like a guy who is in the middle stage of spring training, just at that point where he has completed stretching and is beginning to work on his repertoire in a B-game.  
He's still better than Holland

Likely nothing to see here with Emilio Pagan, but with the wackyness of the Rays staff I took a shot and grabbed him in Uber. He could be sent back down in a couple days but something to watch  :shrug:  
I've actually held him this whole time, he's been a solid K/ratio guy picking up the occasional W and S. Now due to injuries looks like he should be the Rays closer to start the 2nd half. Patience paid off  :excited:  lets see if he can keep the gig  :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread