What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 All Things Closers Thread (1 Viewer)

Poche and Dyson getting a lot of waiver action. Anything to see there?
Will Smith is going to get trade so somebody will close for the newly dominant Giants.  It would be classic Bochy to go with the the proven closer Dyson instead of Reyes Moronta.  Of course, Dyson is on Farhan's trading block too so Melancon will probably get a shot :bag:

So closers likely to get dealt: Giles, "Elite" Will Smith, Colome, Greene. . . . .??
Kirby Yates maybe.

Some crap closers may get dealt like Givens, Romo and Elias which will open opportunities for others.  I've been eyeing Austin Adams' sexy peripherals and was getting ready to add him over the weekend but typical of the Mariners' bullpen, he got hurt.

Will Smith is going to get trade so somebody will close for the newly dominant Giants.  It would be classic Bochy to go with the the proven closer Dyson instead of Reyes Moronta.  Of course, Dyson is on Farhan's trading block too so Melancon will probably get a shot :bag:
I do not endorse adding Melancon

So closers likely to get dealt: Giles, "Elite" Will Smith, Colome, Greene. . . . .??
In past years closers moving may mean setting up elsewhere, but this year looks different - I think most of these guys end up closing wherever they get moved. Undoing one mess and leaving one behind them.

Except Kennedy, who I would add to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raisel Iglesias may not get dealt because A. he has a very reasonable contract beyond this year and B. the NLCentral is such a pile up, the Reds don't know if they're buying or selling.

However, I still think it's a real possibility.  The Reds new front office + David Bell has turned into one of the most progressive analytics driven teams in the league.  It's not hard to see them not valuing a set closer and paying him real money to be in last place.  Iglesias has had a couple public issues with his "new usage" and frankly seems from the outside to be a weird personality mix with the fun and brash clubhouse the Reds seem to promote. 

tldr: I won't be surprised if Raisel Iglesias becomes one of the hot names in a couple weeks.  I don't think that will help much for the purposes of fantasy baseball though because I think David Bell would jump at the chance to just use his relievers however he wanted each night.

Raisel Iglesias may not get dealt because A. he has a very reasonable contract beyond this year and B. the NLCentral is such a pile up, the Reds don't know if they're buying or selling.

However, I still think it's a real possibility.  The Reds new front office + David Bell has turned into one of the most progressive analytics driven teams in the league.  It's not hard to see them not valuing a set closer and paying him real money to be in last place.  Iglesias has had a couple public issues with his "new usage" and frankly seems from the outside to be a weird personality mix with the fun and brash clubhouse the Reds seem to promote. 

tldr: I won't be surprised if Raisel Iglesias becomes one of the hot names in a couple weeks.  I don't think that will help much for the purposes of fantasy baseball though because I think David Bell would jump at the chance to just use his relievers however he wanted each night.
it's who i've wanted Dombrowski to go after for the Sox since i knew they weren't reupping Kimbrel

General Malaise said:
Any reason why the Jays keep Giles?
May be a buyer's market for relief pitching. Do the Jays have any realistic aspirations of competing next year? Uninformed with much of their starting pitching, majors and minors. 

May be a buyer's market for relief pitching. Do the Jays have any realistic aspirations of competing next year? Uninformed with much of their starting pitching, majors and minors. 
Their pitching is a dumpster fire. Giles keeps getting minor injuries (not available again today) that might limit the return they get for him but his numbers are phenomenal and they'll definitely try to move him. 

Can anybody explain why Carlos Martinez did not get a save yesterday?  He came into the game when the Cards had a 3 run lead with 1 out in the 9th and nobody on.  He proceeded to give up a single, hit the next batter, and then got an inning ending double play.  He gave up no runs and finished the game with the Cards up 3 runs in the 9th.  Miller pitched the 8th and first batter of the 9th and got a hold.  How come Martinez did not get a save?

Enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck

Enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
That is only one of the things that needs to be in place for a save. 

That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions:

1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
  2. He is not the winning pitcher;
  3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
  4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
  • He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
  • He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
  • He pitches for at least three innings.
I guess I should have looked it up but I thought I new the rule completely.  I didn't realize the bolded was part of the 3-run aspect.  I guess that is why he didn't get the save. 

In news no one but me cares about...

Drafted Osuna and Giles and started 'week 1'

Week 2, lost Giles - added Wade Davis

Week 3a, lost Davis - added Diaz

Week 3b, lost Osuna - added Kela

Week 3c, realized Kela wasn't ready - added Daniel Hudson

Week 4a, remembered Hudson sucks - dropped

Week 4b, Diaz demoted, dropped - added Andrew Miller

---

We'll see if closer #5 Kela and #7 Miller survive this week.

this year is so awful.  but i love waking up and seeing 2 saves, 1 each from miller and jeffress.  lol.  gb the 7 inning game.

Kimbrel struck out the Cardinal side for the save. His velocity was ticking at 98 MPH, but that hasn't been the issue thus far. Teams have no respect for his breaking pitches and so sit on his fastball, but he kept them honest in this game.

Hope it's a trend. 

Users who are viewing this thread