What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (2 Viewers)

I’ve been on Ohio State all year but I dunno. Acc may suck but Clemson is something else. 
Clemson seems to be playing a lot better lately for sure.  A win by either team would not surprise me.  I guess I just have bad memories of Oregon being favored the past two games against Ohio State in bowl games and getting crushed.

The ACC is historically terrible.
This is making Clemson such a huge wild card. When a team is piling up big wins against with that schedule, I legitimately can’t tell if they’re UCF/Memphis or if they’re the best team in the country. Personally, I still give them some credit for prior years which has me leaning they might be that good. There is just no way to really know. 

This is making Clemson such a huge wild card. When a team is piling up big wins against with that schedule, I legitimately can’t tell if they’re UCF/Memphis or if they’re the best team in the country. Personally, I still give them some credit for prior years which has me leaning they might be that good. There is just no way to really know. 
Well the core just pile drived Alabama 11 months ago so I can tell you they aren’t UCF with a lot of certainty.  

You can look at total roster talent at 247, and see Clemson is loaded. But so is OSU. They are both Tier 1, with Bama and UGA.

Last edited by a moderator:
E. Michigan QB just punched a Pitt player.  Tried to punch a 2nd one and got the referee too.  Damn
The QB made contact with the ref and it was for sure ejection worthy, but the ref could be on WWE with that flop.

Game got really chippy towards the end.  Another EMU player was ejected for spitting in a Pitt player's face.  Spit in his face right in front of the refs then ran away like a little #####.

Well the core just pile drived Alabama 11 months ago so I can tell you they aren’t UCF with a lot of certainty.  
Agreed but they had a more difficult schedule up until that point in the season, no? Something to be said about going up against at least some above average competition before taking on a truly elite team. Add in the break that everyone has to deal with too...

OSU 1H might be a good play regardless of how you see the game finishing. 

Agreed but they had a more difficult schedule up until that point in the season, no? Something to be said about going up against at least some above average competition before taking on a truly elite team. Add in the break that everyone has to deal with too...

OSU 1H might be a good play regardless of how you see the game finishing. 
They have a lot of experienced players and staff that have won playoff football games.

They have a lot of experienced players and staff that have won playoff football games.
Yea being ready to play OSU isn’t going to be a problem. Preposterous. Bigger question to me is if OSU is ready for that speed. You don’t get that in the big 10. 

I don’t remember OSU fans being too terribly obnoxious a few years back, but they’re insufferable right now. Not sure what change happened. 

Nobody talking about how CBS is likely to exit college football entirely?

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2019/12/23/sec-football-to-leave-cbs-after-2023-with-espn-abc.html

There are numerous downstream effects here, mainly that primetime games are going to be limited and SEC games will be relegated to the SECN where they otherwise would be on a network.  

I don't really understand how this is not somehow subject to anti-trust type legislation.  This is putting a lot of influence with the mouse that otherwise would have been distributed across several players.  The fact that CBS simply gets bid out of the building where they have air is just stunning to me.  I can see a world where now clearly you won't get the Bama - Chattanoga epic matchups except on PPV, but are likely also to not see the mid-range Florida-Ole Miss etc. etc. as well without a cable package.  

Nobody talking about how CBS is likely to exit college football entirely?

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/news/2019/12/23/sec-football-to-leave-cbs-after-2023-with-espn-abc.html

There are numerous downstream effects here, mainly that primetime games are going to be limited and SEC games will be relegated to the SECN where they otherwise would be on a network.  

I don't really understand how this is not somehow subject to anti-trust type legislation.  This is putting a lot of influence with the mouse that otherwise would have been distributed across several players.  The fact that CBS simply gets bid out of the building where they have air is just stunning to me.  I can see a world where now clearly you won't get the Bama - Chattanoga epic matchups except on PPV, but are likely also to not see the mid-range Florida-Ole Miss etc. etc. as well without a cable package.  
What? The 3:30 game will be on ABC. Nothing will change except the network the afternoon game is on. Disney already owns all the other broadcast rights to SEC already. 

What? The 3:30 game will be on ABC. Nothing will change except the network the afternoon game is on. Disney already owns all the other broadcast rights to SEC already. 
That's a pretty big deal though.  That effectively removes a game every week from the network schedule, and on the weeks where CBS does the primetime games, two, pushing more games to cable.  If you are an SEC fan odds are this will disrupt your Saturday in non-trivial way and could put non SEC games on the 3:30 slot which would usually be a travesty from a SEC fan perspective.      

It also means I'm going to have to install a second antenna on my roof as ABC is operated from a different tower in D/FW.  #cablecuttingproblems

That's a pretty big deal though.  That effectively removes a game every week from the network schedule, and on the weeks where CBS does the primetime games, two, pushing more games to cable.  If you are an SEC fan odds are this will disrupt your Saturday in non-trivial way and could put non SEC games on the 3:30 slot which would usually be a travesty from a SEC fan perspective.      
It sucks for the ACC/Big 10/ etc who will lose that weekly spot but I don’t see how it affects the casual fan at all. CBS will have an open spot it will be able to fill a lot cheaper as well. 

There is zero chance the SEC does this deal without having the 3:30 spot guaranteed. 

It sucks for the ACC/Big 10/ etc who will lose that weekly spot but I don’t see how it affects the casual fan at all. CBS will have an open spot it will be able to fill a lot cheaper as well. 

There is zero chance the SEC does this deal without having the 3:30 spot guaranteed. 
Well the deal isn't finalized, but the article would indicate this is not secured at all.  There is also limited leverage that the SEC has in this situation which is why they would be likely horrified CBS is exiting in a world where cable subscriptions are in a freefall.  

Well the deal isn't finalized, but the article would indicate this is not secured at all.  There is also limited leverage that the SEC has in this situation which is why they would be likely horrified CBS is exiting in a world where cable subscriptions are in a freefall.  
They won’t leave cbs unless it’s for the same Broadcast window deal. I guarantee it. 

They won’t leave cbs unless it’s for the same Broadcast window deal. I guarantee it. 

I think it's important to note that doing so would require Mouse to re-do their deals with other conferences, which is not likely to be done as some of them are ultra long term and good deals,  and is one factor in how much they are willing to push in to control the SEC rights at a premium.   

It's unclear who would have control beyond 2023.  Would the SEC take less money to have CBS as a partner?  Doubtful.

CBS reportedly bid as much as $300 million a year to extend its deal, but balked at making those payments retroactive under the current deal’s remaining four years. Now it will have to promote and build up an asset that, soon enough, it won’t control.

Why is this even news?  All teams are able to provide a gift package to players with a dollar value cap.  

Users who are viewing this thread