What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (4 Viewers)

So sounds like the timeline is going to be something like:

Nov 16ish (maybe): trades can start

Nov. 18: Draft

Nov. 20: Free agency starts at 6 PM

Nov. 22: Free agent signings can start at 12:01 PM

Dec. 1: Training camps open 

Dec. 22: Opening Night

Opt ins/outs date tbd. 

Salary cap $109m and luxury tax $133m the same as 2019-2020. 

Craziness. 

So sounds like the timeline is going to be something like:

Nov 16ish (maybe): trades can start

Nov. 18: Draft

Nov. 20: Free agency starts at 6 PM

Nov. 22: Free agent signings can start at 12:01 PM

Dec. 1: Training camps open 

Dec. 22: Opening Night

Opt ins/outs date tbd. 

Salary cap $109m and luxury tax $133m the same as 2019-2020. 

Craziness. 
Ya it is so crazy to me that we will have regular season NBA in 6 weeks.

I'm assuming no preseason?

Ya it is so crazy to me that we will have regular season NBA in 6 weeks.

I'm assuming no preseason?
They’re going to have a desk set up in the practice facility for players to sign their contracts right before their first workout. 

Really curious to see how they're going to handle fans in arenas.  I'm splitting a Bucks season ticket package with a buddy of mine, and we've been paying as if we're getting a full 41 games.  Now they're saying that it's going to be 36 games, and from everything I'm hearing, it's likely that fans won't be allowed in arenas (at least in Milwaukee) until January at the earliest, and even then, it'll be 25% capacity at most.

Zach Lowe's podcast yesterday about the draft with Mike Schmitz and Jonathan Givony was interesting.  They suggest Ball being viewed as the best player in the draft with multiple teams interested in trading up to get him.

Zach Lowe's podcast yesterday about the draft with Mike Schmitz and Jonathan Givony was interesting.  They suggest Ball being viewed as the best player in the draft with multiple teams interested in trading up to get him.
Also, ironically, I've seen another top prospect, Tyrese Haliburton (who played HS ball here in Wisconsin), compared to LaMelo's brother, Lonzo.

This will be interesting. I could see something happening with Westbrook.

The Clippers and Knicks have reportedly expressed interest in acquiring Russell Westbrook.

According to sources of Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer, there's a growing sense around the league that Westbrook could be had given the right package, so we may start to see some traction on trades as we get closer to the Nov. 18 NBA Draft. Westbrook is going to get his numbers regardless of where he plays, although he did get rested on back-to-back sets this past season, which perhaps has something to do with the fact that he's getting up there in age. To be clear, nothing appears to be imminent on the Westbrook trade front.

Not sure if you're serious but in the podcast they suggested Carter Jr. or, less likely, Markkanen.  But I doubt such a trade would happen.
I think eventually they'll be forced to decide between Lavine and White. It will be interesting to see if they can co-exist. I have zero doubts Coby can play off the ball and be very effective. I don't think as highly about Lavine in that regard. And Coby's more dangerous with the ball in his hands IMO. I think it's very possible Coby's an All Star in short order if he gets unleashed. His first step, the pace he plays at in general and body control are just insane.

Just a shame they spent long term last offseason with Thaddeus and Satoransky. Between them, Porter, and Felicio (who seems like he's on a never ending contract like Omar Asik was), they're forking over about $60 mil to them this season. Even if just take away Young/Sato deals, would have ~$24 mil free this offseason. Man things could look a whole helluva lot better right now very easily. They've got so many guys still on rookie contracts (Coby/Laurie/Carter Jr) that it's unfortuante they can't take advantage of that in free agency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suns and Thunder talking about a Chris Paul trade.

Paul isn’t worth his contract at this point but for the 75% of teams who won’t be able to attract a premier free agent, moves like this may not be as bad as you might think.

I think eventually they'll be forced to decide between Lavine and White. It will be interesting to see if they can co-exist. I have zero doubts Coby can play off the ball and be very effective. I don't think as highly about Lavine in that regard. And Coby's more dangerous with the ball in his hands IMO. I think it's very possible Coby's an All Star in short order if he gets unleashed. His first step, the pace he plays at in general and body control are just insane.

Just a shame they spent long term last offseason with Thaddeus and Satoransky. Between them, Porter, and Felicio (who seems like he's on a never ending contract like Omar Asik was), they're forking over about $60 mil to them this season. Even if just take away Young/Sato deals, would have ~$24 mil free this offseason. Man things could look a whole helluva lot better right now very easily. They've got so many guys still on rookie contracts (Coby/Laurie/Carter Jr) that it's unfortuante they can't take advantage of that in free agency.
they should definitely try to move lavine and his contract should be pretty attractive to teams who just need some floor-raising offense.

it is definitely a weird collection of guys to have and to be this hamstrung with the cap with no one really even close to a future all-nba player.

they should definitely try to move lavine and his contract should be pretty attractive to teams who just need some floor-raising offense.

it is definitely a weird collection of guys to have and to be this hamstrung with the cap with no one really even close to a future all-nba player.
They aren't hamstrung financially.  They will be over the cap this season (assuming Otto Porter opts in) but with Porter and Felicio expiring after the season plus early terminations on Young and Satoransky, they can open up a ton of cap space next year if they want.  

I don't see the point in moving LaVine for financial reasons.  If it's a good basketball trade?  Well, then that's different.

They aren't hamstrung financially.  They will be over the cap this season (assuming Otto Porter opts in) but with Porter and Felicio expiring after the season plus early terminations on Young and Satoransky, they can open up a ton of cap space next year if they want.  

I don't see the point in moving LaVine for financial reasons.  If it's a good basketball trade?  Well, then that's different.
yeah, i guess i didn't communicate any of that well.

it is surprising to me to look at their collection of players (including whoever they get with their first pick this year) and think about them being over the cap this year and also seemingly having no obvious path to becoming a contender.

But you are right that they have a lot of flexibility after this year.  Karnisovas will hopefully be able to figure out his theory of the team (either before the season or as it goes along) and figure out who to prioritize and who to get rid of in order to streamline their rotation and make it more top-heavy.  To that end, I would definitely look at moving Lavine if it means opening up more time for White and to see how he can be most effective, as he is certainly one of the few guys with a high ceiling and scalability.  I agree that you don't HAVE to move him just for the money concerns, but I have a hard time envisioning how he would be part of a really good Bulls team, so for me, I would lean toward moving him sooner rather than later.

Magic were fifth highest salary last year with nothing but a bunch of low ceiling dudes (perhaps Isaac I guess)

Non-sthtick, the Wolves are apparently trying to acquire a second lottery pick.  I desperately hope they're trying to put a package together for somebody, Booker or otherwise.

And now....

Silas seems like a terrific guy and hire but he's got his work cut out here.

Russell Westbrook wants out of Houston, according to sources of Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Well, that one-year marriage between Russ and James Harden didn't quite pan out, and Westbrook is now the third superstar teammate to not workout with James Harden. Kendrick Perkins recently said that Harden was no longer answering the phone for Houston execs and that both Westbrook and Harden have felt left out of the process on some major decisions recently. There have been rumors that the Clippers and Knicks have expressed interest in Westbrook, but with him essentially demanding a trade at this point, we'd anticipate his trade market to tick up. He'll be fine wherever he winds up, fantasy-wise, although he may rest on back-to-backs again next season.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter

Nov 11, 2020, 7:02 PM ET

The Clippers and Knicks have reportedly expressed interest in acquiring Russell Westbrook.

According to sources of Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer, there's a growing sense around the league that Westbrook could be had given the right package, so we may start to see some traction on trades as we get closer to the Nov. 18 NBA Draft. Westbrook is going to get his numbers regardless of where he plays, although he did get rested on back-to-back sets this past season, which perhaps has something to do with the fact that he's getting up there in age. To be clear, nothing appears to be imminent on the Westbrook trade front.

The problem is that Westbrook and Harden think they should be a big part of the process when it comes to decisions, when, in reality, they should not.  A couple stars who will probably never win a ring being the man unless they pull a Kevin Durant and jump on board a team that has already won a recent title. 

The problem is that Westbrook and Harden think they should be a big part of the process when it comes to decisions, when, in reality, they should not.  A couple stars who will probably never win a ring being the man unless they pull a Kevin Durant and jump on board a team that has already won a recent title. 
I mean the owner is the problem, but sure blame Westbrook and Harden.  That team is going to be the Knicks of the West for years to come.

I mean the owner is the problem, but sure blame Westbrook and Harden.  That team is going to be the Knicks of the West for years to come.
I am not giving the owner a pass, but those clowns think they are LeBron James and can have a large say-so in what organizations do, and that simply isn't realistic. 

Hornets interested in Westbrook.

Lemme guess....Batum and Rozier. And if you're Houston, I think you ought to consider it if includes anything else of substance.

I do think the Rockets won't have a problem getting off Westbrook's contract. I think the Knicks may be willing to flat absorb it if Dolan's calling the shots. 

I think for the first time, hornets may be able to move batum. Obviously to a team looking for space next summer. 

I wonder if there will be a lot of RFAs unsigned when training camps start December 1.  Usually a number of those guys wait quite awhile before their deals get done.

I saw ESPN's Kevin Pelton's ESPN rankings of this FA class the other day on on YT. Had Christian Wood as #3 overall (!!). Wood made some strides as pretty much the last big man standing in Detroit and versatile but just seems like a very much unproven risky investment at a high salary long term. I get it's not the most flashy FA class but boy I'd want to see a lot more to invest heavily in him.

I'm pretty sure the rankings I saw  didn't have Grant of the Nuggets in top 10. And Wood was ranked ahead of RFA Brandon Ingram. Grant showed me more (vs. top competition in playoffs) that I'd much rather throw him #3. And I don't even think Grant breaks the bank if multi-year deal. I've seen some say he'll get $20 mil/yr......I'd be floored if he got that on a multi-year pact (personally I see him being fortunate to get something like Kelly Oubre did last offseason). I think we'll see a ton of correction from last year's FA blowup. AD obviously gets his. Brandon Ingram (IMO) obviously gets his. VanFleet is going to be a very very interesting case as by far the top PG available in FA. Possibly the most interesting in the class. 

--------------

I don't think Portis would fetch near that salary in this year's open market even on a 1 year deal (which I think we'll see a # of teams going this route this season). That said, he's probably more in demand with his skill set than Julius Randle.

NBA fans are weird. reading this thread sometimes makes me think there isn't a single good player in the entire league.  

and not just not good players, but not even replacement level trash players. everyone is garbage.

NBA fans are weird. reading this thread sometimes makes me think there isn't a single good player in the entire league.  

and not just not good players, but not even replacement level trash players. everyone is garbage.
It’s their contracts in relation to the salary cap.  Westbrook may be good (I mean a drunk @Capella can shoot better than him, so maybe not), but he sure as hell isn’t getting  you anywhere by himself when he takes up 40% of your salary cap.

Rest assured Gordon, not seeing anywhere close to the $34 mil you're due this year. Would be fortunate to top it over 2 years. I do think he'll wind up having value around the league on his current deal expiring after this season. 

While Theis/Time Lord were fine in the regular season and most of the playoffs, the Celtics lost to the Heat because they got absolutely SMOKED in the middle by BAM. I like Time Lord's potential quite a bit in Boston but that he didn't see much time vs. the Heat has me questioning if Stevens has the confidence in him to be anything but a productive per minute player with limited PT.

Draft is this Wednesday!!! Free agency on Friday.......I think (hope) we see some trades involving large contracts as FA class itself is a bit bland.

The Knicks have reportedly expressed interest in Gordon Hayward.

“Gordon Hayward, who obviously — there’s already been rumors we’ve heard about maybe him wanting to move on. The Knicks are interested, I’ve heard," said Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer. “I’ve heard Hayward does want out, but I don’t know if he’s gonna get the money. He’s not opting out of that huge number unless he knows he’s getting the deal.” The Pacers have also reportedly expressed an interest in trading for Hayward, but the Knicks could enter the equation if he decides to hit the open market as a free agent in a weak 2020 free agent class. A move away from Boston where he could be more involved in the offense wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing

Westbrook and Hayward "Big 2" making $60-80 mil/yr  would just be an insane get for the Knicks :lol:

It'd be so Knicks.

I saw ESPN's Kevin Pelton's ESPN rankings of this FA class the other day on on YT. Had Christian Wood as #3 overall (!!). Wood made some strides as pretty much the last big man standing in Detroit and versatile but just seems like a very much unproven risky investment at a high salary long term. I get it's not the most flashy FA class but boy I'd want to see a lot more to invest heavily in him.

I'm pretty sure the rankings I saw  didn't have Grant of the Nuggets in top 10. And Wood was ranked ahead of RFA Brandon Ingram. Grant showed me more (vs. top competition in playoffs) that I'd much rather throw him #3. And I don't even think Grant breaks the bank if multi-year deal. I've seen some say he'll get $20 mil/yr......I'd be floored if he got that on a multi-year pact (personally I see him being fortunate to get something like Kelly Oubre did last offseason). I think we'll see a ton of correction from last year's FA blowup. AD obviously gets his. Brandon Ingram (IMO) obviously gets his. VanFleet is going to be a very very interesting case as by far the top PG available in FA. Possibly the most interesting in the class. 

--------------

I don't think Portis would fetch near that salary in this year's open market even on a 1 year deal (which I think we'll see a # of teams going this route this season). That said, he's probably more in demand with his skill set than Julius Randle.
Has grant officially opted out yet?  Maybe why he wasn’t on the list?

though it looks like ad is number 1 (from what I can see without espn+ sub) so idk 

though it looks like ad is number 1 (from what I can see without espn+ sub) so idk 
I can't find anything on the timing deadlines for opt outs.  I don't even think they set an exact date for transactions/trades to open yet although it's expected a few days before the draft which would be tomorrow!?  I'd think there would have to be clarity before free agency starts on Friday but I'm sure teams would like to officially know earlier. 

I can't find anything on the timing deadlines for opt outs.  I don't even think they set an exact date for transactions/trades to open yet although it's expected a few days before the draft which would be tomorrow!?  I'd think there would have to be clarity before free agency starts on Friday but I'm sure teams would like to officially know earlier. 
I think it’s gotta be either Monday or Tuesday, though I can’t find any firm date either.  Typically, those option decisions are due on June 29 or June 30, so about 4 days before free agency normally starts.  So with the new calendar, that would suggest about nov. 18, but I have to think that teams would want to know before the draft.

Woj says

Trade season begins Monday afternoon, sources tell ESPN. Teams were informed the NBA’s moratorium will end at noon ET and deals can begin to be consummated.

Yeah AD is in same boat. Both are foregone conclusions to opt out IMO.

Was just surprised to see the confidence of ranking Christian Wood #3 when Grants far more proven and done it in high level situations. 

I think Detroit pays Wood because frankly he's probably their best player at this point... which says a lot about the state of the franchise. He gets a lot of freedom on a piss poor team than he'd get with a team with actual structure

not totally sure why okc even did this?

i guess maybe they feel like they are selling high on schroder (believable) and maybe they see green as a better asset for the trade deadline?  almost any contender will surely have interest in Green and I doubt that many would want Schroder.  I guess this makes sense in that way.  I know they get the 28 pick also, but seems like such a low marginal value.  I guess its still a swing that's better than Schroder.

Users who are viewing this thread