What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Combine Thread (1 Viewer)

HOFers everyone of them! Haha thanks for sharing. Ross has time to bump it up.
If Tyreek had been allowed to participate at the combine and Roy Williams had not horse collared Calico this list could certainly have been more impressive for sure.

But speaking of Ross, not that Ruggs had injury history, but after he could not finish the rest of his drills after the 40 it sure made me think of Ross pulling up lame after his 40. Just worry about soft muscle injuries with those guys.

But I still like Ruggs, a lot more then I liked Ross coming in and book is not done on him yet.

• • USC’s Michael Pittman Jr. continues to be overlooked. I see a nice parallel to Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster here. Pittman will likely end up a second-round pick, land somewhere as a WR2 and just go off. He knows how to separate, and he’s a meticulous worker. He posted a 4.52 in the 40, and wouldn’t you know it, Smith-Schuster ran a 4.54.
Why does no one seem to like this guy or talk about him? I've been drafting in him last round or two FFPC best ball drafts already. He's coming off a 100+ catch season, his size and overall workout numbers compare favorably to Mike Evans, 4.52 forty with 6.98 3 cone are pretty good numbers for his size.  A guy I pay attention to solely for WR's had him listed as his #6 WR pre-combine. But what McShay said was right, he seems overlooked and no one here seems to talk about him much at all. What do people think is wrong with his game?

Why does no one seem to like this guy or talk about him? I've been drafting in him last round or two FFPC best ball drafts already. He's coming off a 100+ catch season, his size and overall workout numbers compare favorably to Mike Evans, 4.52 forty with 6.98 3 cone are pretty good numbers for his size.  A guy I pay attention to solely for WR's had him listed as his #6 WR pre-combine. But what McShay said was right, he seems overlooked and no one here seems to talk about him much at all. What do people think is wrong with his game?
Admittedly I don't watch or follow college ball much so I rely a lot on folks on this board and in the news, so I'll just say that Pittman has now been on my board for exactly "this post" long.

For all the fanfare about this WR group it seems that they did not test as well as last years WR.

In 2019 there were 13 WR who posted sub 4.40 time in the 40. This year there were 6 WR who did that.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t hate Ruggs and think he could be a great high upside WR2/3. Do I think that’s how his value will be reflected in rookie drafts? I’m not sure. I do think fantasy/analytics guys are fighting hard against the NFL heads on this one. Sometimes you just have to lean into it.

Unpopular opinion: I don’t hate Ruggs and think he could be a great high upside WR2/3. Do I think that’s how his value will be reflected in rookie drafts? I’m not sure. I do think fantasy/analytics guys are fighting hard against the NFL heads on this one. Sometimes you just have to lean into it.
As a Sutton owner, I'll be happy if he goes to DEN because that means the targets go to Sutton and Ruggs runs clear outs. Same in Detroit with Golladay.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Sutton owner, I'll be happy if he goes to DEN because that means the targets go to Sutton and Ruggs runs clear outs. Same in Detroit with Golladay.
Hard to see him ending up in Detroit given how high he is projected to go and the needs Detroit has.

It's amazing how bad the football media is at interpreting combine results. 

Your 40 time and most other stats are completely useless without the context of how big you are. 

A 6'4" 230 player running a 4.40 is amazingly different from a 5'8" 166 lb player running a 4.40, for an extreme example. 

It's amazing how bad the football media is at interpreting combine results. 

Your 40 time and most other stats are completely useless without the context of how big you are. 

A 6'4" 230 player running a 4.40 is amazingly different from a 5'8" 166 lb player running a 4.40, for an extreme example. 
As long as they can brag on Twitter about how their stopwatches had guys .02-.05 faster than the laser timer... no #### dummy, that’s the ####### margin for error. Major reputable guys are doing this including Jeremiah and Bruglar. It’s embarrassing.

It's amazing how dumb these people can be when the obviously know better. Maybe playing it up for the fans or something. 

It literally only takes one idiot GM to make him a top-15 pick. 
And since EVERYBODY knows that draft capital is the biggest predictor of NFL success...

I'm pretty disappointed with Darius Anderson, thought he'd do a lot better than 4.69.  Hopefully his 2nd run improves.  

AJ Dillon went blazing for 247 pounds - 4.53

4.61 for CEH, kind of just meh.  Not impressed or super disappointed, thought he'd go slightly lower, never was a pure speed guy

Darrynton Evans was damn impressive - 4.42

Joshua Kelley with a solid 4.5

Javon Leake at 4.65 is very bad for how explosive/big play he was on the field

Benny LeMay the guy I have to love, went 4.85.  Yikes

McFarland (the other Maryland guy, my favorite) went 4.45.  Noice

Zack Moss with the other yikes at 4.72 

Instant reaction to the 1st run of 40's is that Dobbins is clearly behind Swift/Akers/Taylor.  CEH and Moss don't come close to proving speed but that's not their games so I won't ding them too much.  McFarland starting to make a case for a top RB spot late 1st rookie option.  

I think by eyeball  Helaire looks to have good burst initially over the first 10-20, it’s the last 20 where he doesn’t have an extra gear 

Man RB’s look rough again this year. Really was hoping Moss would boost this class. I’ll probably have him behind Kelley, Perine and Dillon now entering the draft. 

I think by eyeball  Helaire looks to have good burst initially over the first 10-20, it’s the last 20 where he doesn’t have an extra gear 
On that note I actually came in here to make a request. Anyone who reads this please post, and even PM me when you do it's not asking to much, when you see 10/20 yard splits.

Helliare had 39" in vertical which was impressive and I'm think gives and idea of his short area power.

I can't wait for these drills.  I need to decide between Akers and Swift at 1.01 as early as possible.  Pretty easy top4 though.  Swift/Akers/Taylor/Lamb in some order for most I would imagine.  

Vaughn is still my guy outside the top 4. Really like that guy. Has all the tools, early and high end production. Looks very similar to Aaron Jones.

Pretty easy top4 though.  Swift/Akers/Taylor/Lamb in some order for most I would imagine.  
Maybe  I'm an outlier, those 4 make part of what is now a big 7 for me but for sure got others you did not mention higher then some you did.

Maybe  I'm an outlier, those 4 make part of what is now a big 7 for me but for sure got others you did not mention higher then some you did.
I'm assuming Dobbins, Reagor and Jeudy?  I think it's a clear step down to Dobbins thanks to him not participating, Reagor coming up a bit slower than expected, and I'm just not a huge fan of Jeudy.  Makes sense to put them as part of that group though.  

Vaughn is still my guy outside the top 4. Really like that guy. Has all the tools, early and high end production. Looks very similar to Aaron Jones.
So far he's looked good in drills.  So has Eno which you were a fan of his right?  

Maybe this is just because he's one of the first in order, but Akers looks great.  

So far he's looked good in drills.  So has Eno which you were a fan of his right?  

Maybe this is just because he's one of the first in order, but Akers looks great.  
Eno climbed back up my board on the good weigh in. His Senior Bowl weight scared me and I had him shuffled out during the time between. A good combine with his production will hold him in tier 2 until the draft.

I'm assuming Dobbins, Reagor and Jeudy?  I think it's a clear step down to Dobbins thanks to him not participating, Reagor coming up a bit slower than expected, and I'm just not a huge fan of Jeudy.  Makes sense to put them as part of that group though.  
Big Reagor fan but no he's not quite in that group.

I am not knocking Dobbins for not participating so him, Hellaire and Jeudy.

I of course know you have not liked Jeudy.

AJ Dillon was pretty shocking to me, Taylor a little better than I expected. I thought Dillon looked good for a big rb but those are outstanding numbers. Will have to give him another look.

AJ Dillon was pretty shocking to me, Taylor a little better than I expected. I thought Dillon looked good for a big rb but those are outstanding numbers. Will have to give him another look.
As far as I'm concerned it's just a speed test that's boosting him.  The drills I don't think he's been impressive, it's going to get worse when we get to pass catching too.  

Man... Salvon Ahmed has terrible feet for a guy who was supposed to be the athlete of these RB’s. Plus a terrible 40. Why did he enter early?

No point in planting a flag so early, draft pedigree and situation might do the work for you if NFL teams make him a 3rd+ round pick. He seems like a guy that the internet could like more than the NFL
You’re not wrong. I always do predraft rankings though. It allows me to have stronger tie breakers leading into post draft.

Meticulous worker, pedigree and tough. I take him over a guy like Higgins or Shenault every day of the week. 

Users who are viewing this thread