What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (1 Viewer)

Official costs of Tokyo Olympics up by 22% to $15.4 billion

tl;dr

In an online news conference, organizers said the Olympics will cost $15.4 billion to stage. This is up from $12.6 billion in last year’s budget.

The added $2.8 billion is the cost of the one-year delay. Expenses come from renegotiating contracts and measures to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Olympics are to open on July 23. The Paralympics follow on Aug. 24.

Audits by the Japanese government over the last several years, however, show the costs are higher than officially stated and are at least $25 billion.

Plague of Oysters

Officials in Tokyo are nervously eyeing the waters at a major Olympic venue where an unwanted visitor has cost $1.28m (£930,000) in emergency repairs.

The Sea Forest Waterway in Tokyo Bay which will host the canoeing and rowing events was ready ahead of schedule. 

But the one thing no-one counted on was oysters. 

Massive numbers of them had attached themselves to floats intended to stop waves bouncing back across the water and on to the athletes. 

The oysters were discovered when puzzled officials began investigating why the floats had started sinking. 

Solving the problem has been a huge and time consuming task. 

Equipment laid over a span of 5.6km (3.4mi) either had to be dragged ashore and repaired, or cleaned in place by teams of divers. In total, they removed 14 tonnes of oysters.
Aww, shucks! :excited:

Had to be one of the worst financial decisions any country has ever made. Why would you agree to host these things. 
My thoughts exactly. In fact the news blurb I was reading that link above had this underneath the link:

For decades, hosting the Olympics has been a source of national pride. But while the Olympics are touted as an engine of economic growth and urban revitalization, the economic benefits of hosting aren't clear. Evidence points to no real change in economic activity for host countries — but very real costs.

• The Rio Olympics cost $13B, paid for with tax dollars and corporate cash. After the Games, Rio had little to show for its investment (and an abandoned pool that turned orange).
  • The LA Olympics in 1984 marked the first and last time the Olympics were profitable, mostly because planners avoided building new stadiums.
Looking forward: The International Olympics Committee (IOC) is struggling to attract bidders for future Games. Poor economics for host countries and cities have caused many potential bids to be shot down by voters.

THE TAKEAWAY

The Olympic economy is an unequal ecosystem... While Japan would've taken an even bigger financial hit by cancelling, it still stands to lose the most. The Japanese hospitality and transportation sector is expected to lose up to $1.4B. Meanwhile, the IOC is poised to make $4B in television rights income, despite zero attendees. Companies with broadcast rights will be fine, too: NBCUniversal has already beat the $1.2B it earned for Rio ads. But sponsors like Asahi will get less bang for their buck without the ability to get stadiums of spectators chugging the “Tokyo 2020 Official Beer.”
Surely makes you wonder as costs soar due to technology/logistic challenges (even in non-pandemic years) if the games will continue as a global event forever. Seems like it would make sense to spread them out over a period of time (maybe a year, etc.) having clusters of events in areas more equipped to handle them. 

Had to be one of the worst financial decisions any country has ever made. Why would you agree to host these things. 
If you’re a dictatorship, theocracy, repressive government, etc, using slave labor saves you a ton of money on those costs. And the Games are still viewed as rather prestigious so awful countries can try to gain positive publicity and whitewash their atrocities. 

Why countries like the US, Japan, France and Australia want to do it is beyond me.

@bruce_arthur: So in the six hours it took us to clear the airport, three (?) athletes tested positive, Toyota pulled TV ads despite being a $1B IOC sponsor, and the ceremonies musical composer resigned because of monstrous past bullying of special needs classmates. Opening Ceremony is Friday.

@bruce_arthur: So in the six hours it took us to clear the airport, three (?) athletes tested positive, Toyota pulled TV ads despite being a $1B IOC sponsor, and the ceremonies musical composer resigned because of monstrous past bullying of special needs classmates. Opening Ceremony is Friday.
This sounds like the beginning of some type of comedy sketch, only nobody is laughing.

I would prefer to focus on the positive.

These types of Tweets are what is wrong with social media. 

@RachelAxon: Delayed checking bag in for trip to #Tokyo2020  bc a basketball team in front of me was checking eight large boxes - think moving size - full of Krispy Kreme. Did not have “slowed down by 300ish lbs of donuts” on my Olympics bingo card.
Surely there is a Krispy Kreme in Japan.  

If you’re a dictatorship, theocracy, repressive government, etc, using slave labor saves you a ton of money on those costs. And the Games are still viewed as rather prestigious so awful countries can try to gain positive publicity and whitewash their atrocities. 

Why countries like the US, Japan, France and Australia want to do it is beyond me.
The LA games in 2028 has already moved back 4 years.  There's a chance they back out completely.

Ultimately this thing needs a single venue that makes sense for each season.  Salt Lake makes the most sense for winter.  

They should just do away with them completely.  Maybe have a world basketball and hockey championship or something and I guess a gymnastics for the ladies to watch 

They should just do away with them completely.  Maybe have a world basketball and hockey championship or something and I guess a gymnastics for the ladies to watch 
They already have those types of things, and they draw viewers similar to a mid-week Cubs Padres game.  

culdeus said:
The LA games in 2028 has already moved back 4 years.  There's a chance they back out completely.

Ultimately this thing needs a single venue that makes sense for each season.  Salt Lake makes the most sense for winter.  
Or spread it out over multiple cities that already have the arenas and infrastructure in place. So the LA games could include San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas, etc. 

Are these maroons not vaccinated?  

how in the world does one not take every possible precaution, in order to ensure participation.  :Shuked:

how in the world does one not take every possible precaution, in order to ensure participation.  :Shuked:

I mean you've seen PGA players with the share of leads of tournaments get kicked out for CV +.  Losing million+.  

This is gonna be a ####show.  Maybe it talks a few more into actually getting shots.  

If they’re not, then it was a really bad gamble on their part that I imagine they’ll regret the rest of their lives.

Or spread it out over multiple cities that already have the arenas and infrastructure in place. So the LA games could include San Diego, San Francisco, Oakland, Lake Tahoe, Las Vegas, etc. 
Way too many local politics involved in that, but seems like a good idea.  I mean such a thing would realistically be possible in NYC with Philly and Boston not so far away as to be unrealistic.

I mean you've seen PGA players with the share of leads of tournaments get kicked out for CV +.  Losing million+.  

This is gonna be a ####show.  Maybe it talks a few more into actually getting shots.  

If they’re not, then it was a really bad gamble on their part that I imagine they’ll regret the rest of their lives.
Sooooooooo stupid
To be fair, vaccinated people are still catching covid, so if you keep insisting on testing vaccinated people you're going to get some positives even if they have no symptoms. With Japan's struggles I get not going even if you are asymptomatic, but there's no way of knowing if they were vaxxed or not.

To be fair, vaccinated people are still catching covid, so if you keep insisting on testing vaccinated people you're going to get some positives even if they have no symptoms. With Japan's struggles I get not going even if you are asymptomatic, but there's no way of knowing if they were vaxxed or not.
Beyond moronic, if they’re not. 

Beyond moronic, if they’re not. 
Well I don't know if they're completely to blame, because until very recently, the narrative has been that "young people are immune" which they did seem to be until recently when Delta (and maybe some of the other) variants started affecting younger people more and more. But no way in hell I'd have considered getting on a plane overseas without being vaccinated at this point.

Testing vac athletes is pretty dumb.  You sure as hell shouldn't be sending them home over it. 
IIRC, Vaccinated can still spread. I haven't seen data on how much, and I know it's less than unvaccinated, but pretty sure it's still possible. And let's say it's a team sport, one carrier is all that's needed. It replicates quickly and will run through all of the unvaccinated almost certainly. Particularly with Delta. 

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, Vaccinated can still spread. I haven't seen data on how much, and I know it's less than unvaccinated, but pretty sure it's still possible. And let's say it's a team sport, one carrier is all that's needed. It replicates quickly and will run through all of the unvaccinated almost certainly. Particularly with Delta. 

Fine, just put them somewhere for a couple days to test negative. They probably still have that cruise ship somewhere. Vac people tend to have a weaker, less infections, and shorter infection if they do get a breakthrough.  

Fine, just put them somewhere for a couple days to test negative. They probably still have that cruise ship somewhere. Vac people tend to have a weaker, less infections, and shorter infection if they do get a breakthrough.  
Agreed on the latter, but some of the events are one-shot deals. Plus by the time they identify who's positive the exposure likely has already happened. 

Just a friggin' mess. Why don't we have the :trainwreck: emoji anymore?

Agreed on the latter, but some of the events are one-shot deals. Plus by the time they identify who's positive the exposure likely has already happened. 

Just a friggin' mess. Why don't we have the :trainwreck: emoji anymore?
Women don't get going until Aug 1st, she'll be done by Sunday assuming she got a shot.  

Women don't get going until Aug 1st, she'll be done by Sunday assuming she got a shot.  
Good point! Some of them have time to get full coverage, assuming they have the J&J available. That may be the kicker. I think the may have the Sinovac over there, which has far less impressive results, last I remember seeing. Guess they could still shoot them up over here, then fly them over later. 

The scroll at the bottom of the screen said the Gymnastic alternate who tested positive was vacced 2 months ago.
Apparently (saw this on Twitter, not confirmed) she was rooming or traveling  with…..an unvaccinated person. But I haven’t heard of anybody else getting pulled yet so who knows. 

Found it. Pre-Delta, vaccines reduced transmission 85-90%, so anything less than 100%, it's still possible to spread it, vaccinated or not. Numbers are not known yet for Delta, but it stands to reason that it might have a higher transmission rate. 

Strangely my daughters best friend is nearly certainly on the next water polo squad.  Short of some accident she should start.  

If I'm in Paris in four years watching water polo just drown me. 
that’s awesome man, polo is awesome to watch imo. Pure madness in the pool

An ex coach of my son is the USA team manager. Her son got a full ride to UC Davis for polo and her other son trains in Italy. Pretty pumped to watch them. 

Well I don't know if they're completely to blame, because until very recently, the narrative has been that "young people are immune" which they did seem to be until recently when Delta (and maybe some of the other) variants started affecting younger people more and more. But no way in hell I'd have considered getting on a plane overseas without being vaccinated at this point.
They are completely to blame, if they aren’t vaccinated.

If one works their whole LIFE, to achieve a goal.  And the only thing “potentially” stopping them from achieving it, is testing positive for Covid.  Get the f’ing shot. 

I have zero sympathy for those that test positive, that have chosen not to get vaccinated.   

They are completely to blame, if they aren’t vaccinated.

If one works their whole LIFE, to achieve a goal.  And the only thing “potentially” stopping them from achieving it, is testing positive for Covid.  Get the f’ing shot. 

I have zero sympathy for those that test positive, that have chosen not to get vaccinated.   
In general I agree at this point. I would add though that some of these kids ages 12-15 only recently became eligible. Moreover, the minors are at the mercy of their parents as well, so it may not be completely their choice, sadly. 

that’s awesome man, polo is awesome to watch imo. Pure madness in the pool

An ex coach of my son is the USA team manager. Her son got a full ride to UC Davis for polo and her other son trains in Italy. Pretty pumped to watch them. 

The only time I've gone to a game it was a lot of splashing and hard to follow.    It's I suppose better on tv.  

Users who are viewing this thread