What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 (now 2021) Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Closing ceremonies 8/8 | USA finishes with most gold, silver, bronze AND overall medals (2 Viewers)

I am amazed at the Japanese panic.  They have 126 million people and 850 thousand total cases.  That is less 1% of the population over a year and a half. 

The media there must have the people in a panic.  They have also administered over 71 million vaccine doses.

Let the games begin.

I am amazed at the Japanese panic.  They have 126 million people and 850 thousand total cases.  That is less 1% of the population over a year and a half. 

The media there must have the people in a panic.  They have also administered over 71 million vaccine doses.

Let the games begin.
They only have 22% rate of fully vaccinated, and only 13% partially vaccinated (according to https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations?country=OWID_WRL). They have people coming in from all over the world. 

IMO, they have reason to panic at least a little bit. Delta ain't playing around. Even if they have done well to this point with keeping case counts low, it's not over and they still have a #### ton of susceptible vectors.

Never gonna happen. IOC would have to make good on all that nbc money and they already spent it on their…..vices.

Zero chance 
I think it's unlikely as well, but I also think it's a non-zero chance. There's still 3 days before opening ceremonies. I have no doubt positive tests will continue to roll in. Pressure and protest from residents will increase. 

Let the Games Begin Olympics.com and NBCSN with Softball back 

The Samurai have put up 5 runs on the Kangaroos in the 4th inning

11P tonight it's the 

The Stars and Stripes vs the Pasta and Wine 

Let the games begin.
You're amazed that their government is concerned about the well-being of their people? Unlike our previous president. 

Let the games begin.
Less than 1% infection rate would seem to indicate they have been handling it better than most.  Seems odd to be questioning their methods now.

⚽️ Sweden dominating the Ruh-peee-noes early ⚽

1-nil mid first

:popcorn:

ETA: Stina Blackstenius wrecking the Ruh-peee-noes ... 2-nil Swedes

60 min mark 

ETA: LINA HURTIG!1!!1!

⚽⚽⚽

3-nil Swedes, 75 min mark 

... what a ####### embarrassment thus far  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
 3-nil final for the Swedes! ⚽🇸🇪

late charge by USA made the final stats much closer than the gameflow would indicate ... this one was never in doubt, though ... Sweden slapped them around like a rented mule. 

hey, ladies ... you are here to play soccer first, nobody's gonna care about all your other trappings when ya play like palookas - embarrassing.

Sweden is a very respectable side, no question - but this was a gutless effort  :bye:

ps- we also had Great Britain over Chile 2-nil, and Brazil over China 5-nil, this morning.

🇸🇪👍⚽

late charge by USA made the final stats much closer than the gameflow would indicate ... this one was never in doubt, though ... Sweden slapped them around like a rented mule. 

hey, ladies ... you are here to play soccer first, nobody's gonna care about all your other trappings when ya play like palookas - embarrassing.

Sweden is a very respectable side, no question - but this was a gutless effort  :bye:

ps- we also had Great Britain over Chile 2-nil, and Brazil over China 5-nil, this morning.

🇸🇪👍⚽
Take it to the political forum.

🇸🇪👍⚽
:lmao:  imagine living your life this constantly aggrieved, where women playing soccer across the world are in your head. 

Damn shame that they spent 20 billion dollars on these Olympics and the women have to play softball on a baseball field 

sad

Meanwhile, Tokyo recorded nearly 2,000 Covid cases yesterday, the highest one-day total in six months

This seems...ungood. I wonder if they are regulating letting athletes leave the Olympic grounds (like the NBA did last year with "The Bubble")

Damn shame that they spent 20 billion dollars on these Olympics and the women have to play softball on a baseball field 

sad
Conversely, I am excited that softball is back in the Olympics, and it would not have happened without the support of the baseball organizers. Girls across the world are getting to see the sport played at the highest level... the fields they play on are less important than that. 

Meanwhile, Tokyo recorded nearly 2,000 Covid cases yesterday, the highest one-day total in six months

This seems...ungood. I wonder if they are regulating letting athletes leave the Olympic grounds (like the NBA did last year with "The Bubble")
I saw an instapost from USA wrestling... they were only allowed out of their bubble for an hour a day.

Conversely, I am excited that softball is back in the Olympics, and it would not have happened without the support of the baseball organizers. Girls across the world are getting to see the sport played at the highest level... the fields they play on are less important than that. 
I’m excited that it’s back too. 

They don’t have a softball stadium they can play in?

🤷🏻‍♂️

Turned on The Olympic Channel this morning only to see an interview with a Japanese rock climber, but instead of using subtitles they had a translator softly speak at the same time, so you couldn't understand anything that was being said.  Then they turned to an update of a canoeing event...from the 2016 games.

Excellent programming. 

When can I watch some good stuff?

I'm watching Opening Ceremonies on a little delay, so just getting to the Parade of Nations, which I always :heart:  .  Who will be this year's Tonga flag-bearer guy?

Oh, I'm already tearing up over the Refugee Team.

This is my one time every four (five?) years to shine - I am a fencer and this is the only time anyone mildly cares about fencing.  It's truly a sport that no one cares about.  If anyone stumbles onto fencing and has any questions about what the #### they're watching, feel free to ask.

This is my one time every four (five?) years to shine - I am a fencer and this is the only time anyone mildly cares about fencing.  It's truly a sport that no one cares about.  If anyone stumbles onto fencing and has any questions about what the #### they're watching, feel free to ask.
Fantastic.  I've only ever known one other fencer and am happy to learn more about it!  Whom should we be watching in the fencing events?

USA fencing already made some headlines for some not so great reasons. Oof.

Fantastic.  I've only ever known one other fencer and am happy to learn more about it!  Whom should we be watching in the fencing events?
In terms of Americans, the US qualified for all 6 team events (foil, sabre, and epee, both men + women), but unlikely to medal in most of them.

Best US chances for a team medal are in men's foil and women's sabre, maybe an outside shot at women's foil.  Best chances for individual medals in men's foil (maybe multiple), men's sabre, minor chances at women's foil and sabre.

In terms of the men, they enter the Olympics as essentially the odds-on favorites in men's foil.  Gerek Meinhardt and Alex Massialas are top 5 in the world.  Nick Itkin top 10-ish.  Meinhardt and Massialas both have a very strong chance to individual medal.  Massialas took silver in 2016, and Meinhardt got bronze, so they're a very experienced team.  They also took team bronze in 2016.  They enter 2021 as essentially the team favorites.  The Massialas family is basically US fencing royalty, like the Manning family of fencing.

US women are traditionally very strong at sabre.  Eliza Stone is a first-time Olympic qualifier who has a fair chance at an individual medal.  The face of US fencing, though, is Mariel Zagunis.  Basically the sweetheart of American fencing, two-time gold medalist, and was the US flagbearer for the opening ceremony in 2012, which was a big deal for a random sport like fencing.  She's on the back end of her career but still qualified and has an outside shot at a medal.  US women should contend for a team medal but I wouldn't expect them to win...maybe a bronze.

US women's foil is fair.  Lee Kiefer is one to watch, she has a shot at a medal.  Wouldn't expect a gold but maybe a bronze.  They could sneak into a team medal.

US men's sabre is okay overall, but with 1 superstar.  Eli Dershwitz is one of the best in the world and has a strong chance for individual medal, maybe even an outside at gold.  Daryl Homer is an Olympic vet who has been around but unlikely to make waves at this point.

US men's and women's epee both unlikely to make any noise.

USA fencing already made some headlines for some not so great reasons. Oof.
Yep, had read about that, too.  :(

Parade of Nations continues...  Countries so far I'd never heard of:  Kiribati and Comoros.  Also did not know Swaziland was now Eswatini.

Taiwan not being allowed to march under their flag or have their national anthem is an outrage.

I should note that we adopted my daughter from Taiwan so it’s an even bigger deal to me.

Imo the nbc Olympics app is the way to go. Currently watching Italy v Canada in Volleyball and just saw China whoop Romania in 3 on 3 hoops. 

Users who are viewing this thread