What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Paris 2024 Summer Olympics: July 26-August 11*** USA dominates medal count; Finish tied w/ China for most golds - See ya in Milan 2026! (2 Viewers)

Do I have this right? First the judge(s) got the score wrong. Then they were incorrect in saying the appeal wasn't in time. And now we find out the ruling body contacted the wrong people? They should just stop already and if nothing else give out 2 bronze medals.

And now the latest scandal is that the head of the 3 person CAS panel has worked for Romania previously.

Do I have this right? First the judge(s) got the score wrong. Then they were incorrect in saying the appeal wasn't in time. And now we find out the ruling body contacted the wrong people? They should just stop already and if nothing else give out 2 bronze medals.

And now the latest scandal is that the head of the 3 person CAS panel has worked for Romania previously.
If My memory serves me correct, the Romanian was ding 1/10th a point for stepping out of bounds which she didn't do. The leotard doesn't lie.

If you could be present at Los Angeles 2028, which events would you try to attend?
Do we know where the surfing will be? Tahiti looked awesome.
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t Huntington Beach.

I’ve read online that Huntington and Trestles are the two favorites but no one knows for sure yet.

Apparently two events will be held in Oklahoma City?!?!? Softball and the canoe slalom as LA doesn’t want to build venues to host those events. But they would really need to build a venue for softball?
God, I hope not. OKC in July will be brutal. If they are going to do that, they might as well pick Houston. We have a stadium with AC.
They are definitely in OKC. The softball is a little confusing. Just play in dodgers stadium for gods sake. The canoe slalom seems like a pretty specialized thing though
They still have to figure out what they are doing with baseball (which is holding up some things). There's some rumblings that MLB is down with the season stopping around the All-Star break and it turning into a World Baseball Classic like tournament in size; in which case you are going to need Dodgers, Angels, and probably Petco to support it. If it's major leaguers, everyone of those games would be sellouts.
Would love it if they did that.

Forget Tyson/Paul, this would be huge if they could make this happen.

What distance? In a 100 meter dash it wouldn;t even be close
I'm not even sure Hill is the fastest player in the NFL, and he's surely not fast enough to make the 100M finals on the world stage. But it would be a spectacle...
What if they raced 100 meters, from opposing ends of the track?
With jousting sticks?
I'll allow it.

If My memory serves me correct, the Romanian was ding 1/10th a point for stepping out of bounds which she didn't do. The leotard doesn't lie.
Did the Romanians appeal within 1 minute?

No they didn't

As an aside, and for those confused: The hot ones in the skimpy bottoms are the Canadian team, and the plain Janes wearing shorts are the Brazilians. I don't understand it either.
The Brazilian women in the baggy shorts was the biggest Olympic disappointment.
The men’s 4x100 baton drop a distant second.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Australian break dancer still getting a lot of hate mail.
Geez, the Olympics are over. Let it go, people.

Break Dancing will never return as an Olympic sport.
It wasn't that bad. There were some epic speed climbing fails too but because they are over in 10s it's not as memeable

I don’t really think of it as a sport but it’s a shame for those people who devote their life to it and it came to this. Think about how exciting it must have been leading up to the Olympics, we’re gonna put on a show for the world yada yada and then this happens, your sport is a worldwide joke and almost definitely will never see the Olympics again. That sucks.

I don’t really think of it as a sport but it’s a shame for those people who devote their life to it and it came to this. Think about how exciting it must have been leading up to the Olympics, we’re gonna put on a show for the world yada yada and then this happens, your sport is a worldwide joke and almost definitely will never see the Olympics again. That sucks.
I don't dance, but I was pretty insulted by this.

I really don’t get it. She’s supposedly a professor in the history of breakdancing, right? If so, she has to know that she isn’t good. And if she knows she isn’t good, her participation had to be a goof. And if her participation was a goof, she should welcome the notoriety. What am I missing?

Edit to add: when she refers to “hate”, is she talking about people making fun of her performance? If so, that’s ridicule, not hate.

I really don’t get it. She’s supposedly a professor in the history of breakdancing, right? If so, she has to know that she isn’t good. And if she knows she isn’t good, her participation had to be a goof. And if her participation was a goof, she should welcome the notoriety. What am I missing?

Edit to add: when she refers to “hate”, is she talking about people making fun of her performance? If so, that’s ridicule, not hate.
I heard on the radio yesterday that she won the Oceania Breaking Championship to qualify for the Olympics. Apparently there were 15 female entrants.

Reactions: JAA

All I got out of it is that someone who could actually dance was deprived of an awesome opportunity.

All I got out of it is that someone who could actually dance was deprived of an awesome opportunity.

Agreed. Also sucks for all those really talented breakers who probably invested years preparing for the event only to be ignored and disregarded by a joke/meme.

No they didn't
They don't have to within a minute, because she wasn't the last gymnast in the rotation. They just had to appeal before the next gym ast started her routine.

It wasn't that bad. There were some epic speed climbing fails too but because they are over in 10s it's not as memeable
It was horrible. Why did they even consider it a sport? Gymnastics scores are inscrutable but the announcers are able to explain precisely how they are derived. Breakdancing seemed entirely subjective. smh

If "the sport" wanted to stick around they should have gotten announcers who could explain what was going on. Except that maybe that's impossible because it really is totally subjective.

It was horrible. Why did they even consider it a sport? Gymnastics scores are inscrutable but the announcers are able to explain precisely how they are derived. Breakdancing seemed entirely subjective. smh

If "the sport" wanted to stick around they should have gotten announcers who could explain what was going on. Except that maybe that's impossible because it really is totally subjective.
Picking music at random and making it a head to head battle with no clear start/stop time, except that you have 3 continual periods of a few minutes ish, interspersed with observations where you pantomime a level of disinterest doesn't lend itself to clear judging criteria.

Picking music at random and making it a head to head battle with no clear start/stop time, except that you have 3 continual periods of a few minutes ish, interspersed with observations where you pantomime a level of disinterest doesn't lend itself to clear judging criteria.

They should run the women's floor exercise like this.

Can we pick tunes? I choose U Can't Touch This for Simone Biles.

Can we pick tunes? I choose U Can't Touch This for Simone Biles.
I choose Get Back for Jordan Chiles.

There are specific rules

A minimum of three or more uneven number of judges score the battles on six criteria - creativity, personality, technique, variety, performativity and musicality.

Each parameter has different weightage in a battle, with technique, performativity and creativity constituting 60 per cent of the total score while variety, musicality and personality make up the remaining 40 per cent.

The judges submit their votes after each round and the breaker with the highest points is declared the winner.

Penalties and disqualifications: the misbehavior button

• All judges have three misbehavior buttons that they may use to penalize a breaker when they act or gesture inappropriately: mild, moderate and severe. The WDSF Breaking Rules and Regulations Manual states the complete details, including examples.
  • A mild misbehavior (button 1) is an accidental, unintentional or nonaggressive act or gesture. A 3% point deduction will be applied to the judge's total score of that athlete.
  • A moderate misbehavior (button 2) is a non-violent, but intentional act or gesture meant to intimidate or otherwise degrade a specific person (or people). A 6% point deduction will be applied to the athlete's total score.
  • A severe misbehavior (button 3) is an intentional act or gesture that is overtly aggressive, violent or sexual in nature. A 10% point deduction will be applied to the athlete's total score. If a majority of judges call an act severe, the offending competitor or crew will be immediately up for disqualification, pending final approval from the chair.

Really not that different from gymnastics. (He says not knowing anything about judging in gymnastics.)

There are specific rules

A minimum of three or more uneven number of judges score the battles on six criteria - creativity, personality, technique, variety, performativity and musicality.

Each parameter has different weightage in a battle, with technique, performativity and creativity constituting 60 per cent of the total score while variety, musicality and personality make up the remaining 40 per cent.

The judges submit their votes after each round and the breaker with the highest points is declared the winner.

Penalties and disqualifications: the misbehavior button

• All judges have three misbehavior buttons that they may use to penalize a breaker when they act or gesture inappropriately: mild, moderate and severe. The WDSF Breaking Rules and Regulations Manual states the complete details, including examples.
  • A mild misbehavior (button 1) is an accidental, unintentional or nonaggressive act or gesture. A 3% point deduction will be applied to the judge's total score of that athlete.
  • A moderate misbehavior (button 2) is a non-violent, but intentional act or gesture meant to intimidate or otherwise degrade a specific person (or people). A 6% point deduction will be applied to the athlete's total score.
  • A severe misbehavior (button 3) is an intentional act or gesture that is overtly aggressive, violent or sexual in nature. A 10% point deduction will be applied to the athlete's total score. If a majority of judges call an act severe, the offending competitor or crew will be immediately up for disqualification, pending final approval from the chair.

Really not that different from gymnastics. (He says not knowing anything about judging in gymnastics.)
I'm pretty sure the gymnasts dont flip off their opponents. Not in public, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread