What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Spring/Summer Severe Weather (3 Viewers)

Levees and dams in jeopardy of failing.  Nuclear power plants sending out emergency alerts.  Yikes.  If God could stop focusing so much on that playlist and just take a couple minutes to check out the weather in Nebraska, that'd be great, m'kay?

Levees and dams in jeopardy of failing.  Nuclear power plants sending out emergency alerts.  Yikes.  If God could stop focusing so much on that playlist and just take a couple minutes to check out the weather in Nebraska, that'd be great, m'kay?
I helped throw sandbags this morning and my neighborhood was put on alert/voluntary evacuation.  We are doing a lot better than many small Nebraska towns.  :(    The water has never been this high in my lifetime.  

Been a little crazy out west, too.  You guys probably don't pay much attention to horse racing, but famed track Santa Anita has been shut down because 21 (TWENTY ONE) horses have died this season after injuries on the track, well outpacing historic averages.  Why?  Track has been deluged with rain.  It's a catastrophe for our other four legged friends (vote: save horse). 

Average historic temps in Portland, Oregon should be in the low to mid 50s right now.  We are in the 30s and have had snow/freezing rain at a time which is very rare here.  

Something is up to something. 
22 now wtf

We had all time record rain here in '18 and nothing like this happened at the track thats closest to me (70ish miles).

Something weird going on at SA. It's sad

The racetrack?

Are you in pa?
Ya, the racetrack

I was saying that we had record rain here last yr, and nothing like this happened at any of the tracks in this area like what's happening at Santa Anita.

That's why it's hard to believe that all the rain is the cause of all of these horse deaths at SA, but I'm obviously not an expert on the subject

Saw an article the other day that said the flooding in Nebraska proves Global Warming.  Yes.  Because Nebraska has never seen 2 inches of rain before. :rolleyes:

After a quiet week for severe weather, we see a return for the weekend out in Tornado Alley.  Now that we officially head into spring just before 6pm today, severe weather season should really start to ramp up.

So while I'm good with geography and know my states very well (let's not focus on the AR-AL post), I have to admit, I only know of the "Nebraska Flooding" and haven't really caught WHERE in NE the flooding is happening.  

But if it's the southeast corner, watch out over the weekend.  More rain heading your way.  And while it doesn't look to be an incredible amount (1-1.5 inches it looks like), any amount on an already saturated area is bad.  Stay safe, Nebraskians.  Nebraskans?  Corn Huskers. 

So while I'm good with geography and know my states very well (let's not focus on the AR-AL post), I have to admit, I only know of the "Nebraska Flooding" and haven't really caught WHERE in NE the flooding is happening.  

But if it's the southeast corner, watch out over the weekend.  More rain heading your way.  And while it doesn't look to be an incredible amount (1-1.5 inches it looks like), any amount on an already saturated area is bad.  Stay safe, Nebraskians.  Nebraskans?  Corn Huskers. 
I believe the Neb flooding started out north and west (into SD as well), but it all flows down river through east Neb (Omaha) then right down into Missouri.  Follow the track of the Missouri river to understand.  I believe the Missouri river in Omaha dropped 4 ft today.  So good news for all of Nebraska.  

The next concern will be all that water in and around St. Louis where the Missouri meets up with the Mississippi.  

Saw an article the other day that said the flooding in Nebraska proves Global Warming.  Yes.  Because Nebraska has never seen 2 inches of rain before. :rolleyes:
Yes it would be silly to ascribe 1 single event to something as large scale and broad as climate change or global warming.  In the same way if you had a friend who smoked cigarettes and then got lung cancer and said: "Cigarette smoking causes lung cancer - see my friend as THE single example" would also be silly.

However when multiple "examples" from all over the world are occurring.  Severe thunderstorms; Monsoons and heatwaves; Flooding; Tropical cyclones increasing in occurrence and severity.  -The 10 year flood becomes the 100 year flood becomes the 500 year flood becomes the 1000 year flood, and that becomes common.  The once per decade drought becomes a drought 5 out of every 10 years drought.  When years of drought are followed by extremely wet winter creating fire accelerate for wild fires that destroy entire cities. Globally, when heatwaves, drought and wildfires cause massive loss of crops.  When the snow level in the Rockies drops more than 40% and the snow season shrinks by 34 days in the past 3 decades.  When the sea level is rising in places like Florida 1" every 3 years.  When there are multiple and extremely large back to back hurricanes that cause record losses and climate refugees in our very own country.  When the annual number of global climate catastrophes has risen on average from about 220ish in the year 1980; to 320ish in 1990; to 500ish in 2000; to more than 700 in 2017.  When all 17 years since 2001 rank as the 18 warmest since measurement began. Well we might just be seeing the same kind of trend that led scientist to understand that smoking cigarettes does in fact cause cancer (even though not all people who smoke cigarettes get cancer).  And while the flooding in Nebraska doesn't prove climate change or global warming it does provide another example of the fact that the climate is indeed changing and is not without severe consequences to humankind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it would be silly to ascribe 1 single event to something as large scale and broad as climate change or global warming.  In the same way if you had a friend who smoked cigarettes and then got lung cancer and said: "Cigarette smoking causes lung cancer - see my friend as THE single example" would also be silly.

However when multiple "examples" from all over the world are occurring.  Severe thunderstorms; Monsoons and heatwaves; Flooding; Tropical cyclones increasing in occurrence and severity.  -The 10 year flood becomes the 100 year flood becomes the 500 year flood becomes the 1000 year flood, and that becomes common.  The once per decade drought becomes a drought 5 out of every 10 years drought.  When years of drought are followed by extremely wet winter creating fire accelerate for wild fires that destroy entire cities. Globally, when heatwaves, drought and wildfires cause massive loss of crops.  When the snow level in the Rockies drops more than 40% and the snow season shrinks by 34 days in the past 3 decades.  When the sea level is rising in places like Florida 1" every 3 years.  When there are multiple and extremely large back to back hurricanes that cause record losses and climate refugees in our very own country.  When the annual number of global climate catastrophes has risen on average from about 220ish in the year 1980; to 320ish in 1990; to 500ish in 2000; to more than 700 in 2017.  When all 17 years since 2001 rank as the 18 warmest since measurement began. Well we might just be seeing the same kind of trend that led scientist to understand that smoking cigarettes does in fact cause cancer (even though not all people who smoke cigarettes get cancer).  And while the flooding in Nebraska doesn't prove climate change or global warming it does provide another example of the fact that the climate is indeed changing and is not without severe consequences to humankind.
We can disagree and leave it at that.  Don't want to debate it in here.  

Could be an active weekend in the southeast this weekend.  Right now, the thought is a "general" area of possibly severe weather.  But come tomorrow, I believe certain areas will be upgraded to at least ENHANCED.  Could see several supercells.

Spring severe weather really picks up this week.  With the weather warming up, we should start seeing more outbreaks.

SE PA could get our first taste of spring storms this evening.  Chances aren't great, but they're there. SPC has us listed as MARGINAL currently.  

People are on edge around here (Nebraska).   Potential for a bunch of snow that will melt quickly affecting areas that are already saturated/flooded.  

SE PA will have the best chance at storms between 4 and 6.  Quick moving line.  Maybe some lightning and some strong wind gusts.  Nothing too crazy.  Kind of an amuse-bouche for the coming season.

Looking at the radar of Minnesota and I can honestly say I've never seen so many lightning strikes associated with a snowstorm.  Thundersnow galore! 

Tomorrow, southern AR and northern LA are the bullseye for severe weather.  Could be a nasty outbreak for this area.  The SPC already has that area in the MODERATE risk area, which is the second highest level.  Conditions tomorrow are very favorable for severe weather, with a nasty line of storms developing and possible super cells out in front of it.  

Remember that super cell storms are more likely to produce tornadoes than lines of storms.  But lines can produce straight line winds.  Both can cause a lot of damage.  If you live in the area between E TX and W AL, be ready for a wild weather day tomorrow.  There's a good chance of an outbreak of severe weather tomorrow.

Tomorrow, southern AR and northern LA are the bullseye for severe weather.  Could be a nasty outbreak for this area.  The SPC already has that area in the MODERATE risk area, which is the second highest level.  Conditions tomorrow are very favorable for severe weather, with a nasty line of storms developing and possible super cells out in front of it.  

Remember that super cell storms are more likely to produce tornadoes than lines of storms.  But lines can produce straight line winds.  Both can cause a lot of damage.  If you live in the area between E TX and W AL, be ready for a wild weather day tomorrow.  There's a good chance of an outbreak of severe weather tomorrow.
Today, The Weather Channel explained, in detail, what the Convective Outlook entails.  I have a feeling I may be sent to that region early next week for work and will be keeping a close eye on The Weather Channel all weekend.  

Today, The Weather Channel explained, in detail, what the Convective Outlook entails.  I have a feeling I may be sent to that region early next week for work and will be keeping a close eye on The Weather Channel all weekend.  
Yup, good article.  One thing that is confusing is the names of the risks.  When areas are in the SLIGHT risk, that's actually a pretty serious risk.  MODERATE doesn't sound all that bad, but as the article points out, we only see that level a couple of times a year.  MODERATE usually means we are going to see an outbreak.  Or there's a chance, at least.  

On average, we usually have one HIGH risk day a year.  I think we had two last year, but went 3 years without a HIGH risk before that.  And the fact that lightning is just implied can be confusing to casual observers.  

I always say it's a great source and even if you aren't familiar with all of the technical discussions that are included, all you really need to know is that if you are in SLIGHT or higher, be ready for some potentially big storms.  

I honestly think we could see a pocket of HIGH risk area come tomorrow's update.  If you live in the LA or AR area, be ready for a nasty outbreak tomorrow.

TheIronSheik said:
I honestly think we could see a pocket of HIGH risk area come tomorrow's update.  If you live in the LA or AR area, be ready for a nasty outbreak tomorrow.
Starting to roll in now. I got plenty of supplies and beverage options. We ready. Time to start hunkering. 

Pretty nasty couple of days.  Ended with my neck of the woods seeing an ENHANCED risk category, which is pretty much the highest we ever see up here.  And it came in overnight, so always a little scary.  Severe weather is 3 times deadlier when it comes in at night.

We get a small respite for the beginning of the week and then it starts again Wednesday in the same area it started last week and treks across the southeast again, into the weekend.  

As I said earlier, the setup this spring is ripe for severe weather.  The past couple of years were light on severe weather, so hopefully people aren't putting their guard down.

Pretty nasty couple of days.  Ended with my neck of the woods seeing an ENHANCED risk category, which is pretty much the highest we ever see up here.  And it came in overnight, so always a little scary.  Severe weather is 3 times deadlier when it comes in at night.

We get a small respite for the beginning of the week and then it starts again Wednesday in the same area it started last week and treks across the southeast again, into the weekend.  

As I said earlier, the setup this spring is ripe for severe weather.  The past couple of years were light on severe weather, so hopefully people aren't putting their guard down.
The thunder/lightning in Flemington was unreal.  Tornado risks aside, there's nothing better than sleeping with the windows cracked on a night like that.  The sound of the rain and the smell is the best sleep aid there is.  

The thunder/lightning in Flemington was unreal.  Tornado risks aside, there's nothing better than sleeping with the windows cracked on a night like that.  The sound of the rain and the smell is the best sleep aid there is.  
I slept through it all.  The rest of the family said they thought the house was going to fall over.  I must have been tired because I usually always wake up for loud noises.  I woke up around 4 am and everyone in the house was sleeping in our bed.  Except for the dog.  She was in bed shaking.  Only reason I woke up is because I'm old and had to pee.

I slept through it all.  The rest of the family said they thought the house was going to fall over.  I must have been tired because I usually always wake up for loud noises.  I woke up around 4 am and everyone in the house was sleeping in our bed.  Except for the dog.  She was in bed shaking.  Only reason I woke up is because I'm old and had to pee.
50/50 shot for me.  If I'm laying on my right ear, I can LITERALLY sleep through our home alarm system going off as I'm largely deaf in my left ear.  If I'm laying on my left, I hear everything as I'm overly sensitive to sounds that I do hear.  When my wife is out of town, my biggest fear is somebody breaking into the house because I wouldn't hear a thing. 

If I was laying on my right ear, you could probably come in, steal everything but the bed I was sleeping in (including the kids), and I wouldn't know.

This is an epidemic that every weather person deals with.  Any time there is a storm, weather outlets will put out a detailed map and immediately the first 40 responses are "What about in (insert their hometown)?"

And it's because people are morons and can't find themselves on a map.  It's ridiculous.  

Confirmed tornado in Delaware overnight.  I saw tons of people complaining about the Emergency Alerts going off overnight and waking them up.  Seriously.  This world has never been more ready for a plague. 

Just a lot of rain in my area, but some nearby regions got high winds and tornadoes. Lots of flash flooding. And an elementary school was struck by lightning, caught on fire and burned to the ground. :sadbanana:  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ned
Confirmed tornado in Delaware overnight.  I saw tons of people complaining about the Emergency Alerts going off overnight and waking them up.  Seriously.  This world has never been more ready for a plague. 
I'm in DE and that's all everyone's talking about; scratch that, complaining about.  I just don't understand how folks are complaining about an alert system designed to save their lives.  Everyone's pissed because they were woken up at 3am by the tornado warnings.  # of people I know that listened to the warnings and went to the basement for cover?  1 family of 4.  

Convo I just had with my sister:

Sis: Those storms were crazy last night.  Did they wake you up?
Me: Yep that wind was crazy - I was worried about our trees (we didn't get Tornado warning in N DE).
Sis: I started getting the tornado warnings - I was like ummm do I get (son) up to go downstairs?"
Me: Ummmmmm yes wtf?
Sis: I didn't 😬

You friggin idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread