What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Buffalo Bills - Same as it ever was*** (1 Viewer)

I think Petty is legit and could be very good depending on the system. If he's there at 50 I think I would want the Bills to pull the trigger.
So you hope he's Free Fallin'
Is that a reference to where he might be drafted or because he has the same last name as Tom? Because from what I've seen he's being projected all over the place. But that's also why I said "if" he's there. No one really knows where Petty or Hundley will go. Will be fun to watch.
You Tell Me

No way they draft a QB. They made these moves so they could concentrate elsewhere. Hopefully on the OL and maybe LB or FS.

I think Petty is legit and could be very good depending on the system. If he's there at 50 I think I would want the Bills to pull the trigger.
So you hope he's Free Fallin'
Is that a reference to where he might be drafted or because he has the same last name as Tom? Because from what I've seen he's being projected all over the place. But that's also why I said "if" he's there. No one really knows where Petty or Hundley will go. Will be fun to watch.
You Tell Me
We'll find out at draft day, but the waiting is the hardest part.

From what I understand it's a weak draft for safeties too. My guess is whatever the Best Player Available is. That sounds obvious but I think it's truer with the Bills this year. With only half of their top 4 picks they have probably written this draft off anyways.

I've made my opinion clear in this thread that I don't want any of these QBs. I think at 50 there will be someone who fell for non gameplay reasons (combine, injuries, etc) and the Bills will scoop him up. Pretty vague. If I had to guess position I think there's a few OL that would fall into my criteria.

I like Urbik cutting his salary. He should definitely stick now. At the very least, he's very valuable depth. I hope they give him a chance to start though. He was PFF's #9 ranked RG in 2013 and I think his performance warranted that in 2013. But Marrone seemed to hate him for some reason. He was never given a fair shot last year and they ended up with Pears performing horribly all year at RG. Williams was awful at Lg until he got hurt, then Richardson was not very good, then finally Urbik was thrown in at LG and did a mediocre job there.

Incognito was ranked by PFF as a top 10 LG in 2013 when he was suspended. I'd like to see him and Williams battle it out for the Lg spot and Urbik and Richardson battle it out for the starting RG spot. If Incognito and Urbik can display their 2013 form, the O-line suddenly looks pretty darn good.

That RT spot is still a huge question mark though. Henderson played the whole year there and he was terrible. Hopefully he or Cyrus make a huge jump this year or there is another option not yet on the team.

That RT spot is still a huge question mark though. Henderson played the whole year there and he was terrible. Hopefully he or Cyrus make a huge jump this year or there is another option not yet on the team.
I think this battle will be huge. I'm hoping one steps up. I'm kinda thinking Cyrus will fit into this scheme much better. And you can't blame Henderson too much either. Played pretty well for a 7th round pick. He'll hopefully be a lot better this year.

Speculation that the Chargers could have interest in Mariota and let Rivers' walk after this year. If the Bills can make themselves a playoff team and look attractive to a FA QB, they should go all in to get Rivers if that happens,

That's all way down the road, but a situation like that would be everything Buffalo fans could hope for.

@viccarucci: More on the #Bills' offer sheet to TE Charles Clay: $24.5 million over the first 2 years.
Holy cow. For Charles Clay!? Dang that's a lot of money.
Go big or go home when dealing with a transition tagged playerClay is the type of player the Bills would always lose in the past. Nice to see things going the other way here and adding young talent for a change.

Hopefully they address OL in the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
@viccarucci: More on the #Bills' offer sheet to TE Charles Clay: $24.5 million over the first 2 years.
Making the offer ridiculously front-loaded makes a lot of sense both to prevent Miami from matching and for our own cap-management purposes. Might as well load him up now while we've got room under the cap if it lets us have more open space down the road.

Go big or go home when dealing with a transition tagged playerClay is the type of player the Bills would always lose in the past. Nice to see things going the other way here and adding young talent for a change.

I agree. But man, that dude lucked out during this transition game. He'll be getting paid as one of the top TE's in the game. Who is the highest paid and what does he get?

Come on man, I'm trying to be positive, but $38M with $20M guaranteed for Charles Clay is insane. If he doesn't have a Gronk-like impact, that is WAY too much.

I agree. But man, that dude lucked out during this transition game. He'll be getting paid as one of the top TE's in the game. Who is the highest paid and what does he get?
I believe Julius Thomas's new deal is the biggest at $40M and $24M guaranteed. Clay's is the 2nd biggest for all TEs.ETA: Gronk's deal was 6 years $54M with $9M guaranteed. So he makes $2M more a year, but with $11M less guaranteed.

ETA2: And Graham was 4 years $40 M with a touch over $20M guaranteed.

Rob Gronkowski signed a 6 year / $54,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $8,000,000 signing bonus, $13,170,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,000,000.

Jimmy Graham signed a 4 year / $40,000,000 contract with the New Orleans Saints, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $20,900,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $10,000,000.

Julius Thomas signed a 5 year / $46,000,000 contract with the Jacksonville Jaguars, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $24,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $9,200,000.

So he basically has the 4th biggest TE contact. I guess I just don't get it. His best season was about 750 yards and 6 TDs. He's a much better blocker than Thomas or Graham, but not nearly the receiver.

Aaron Hernandez signed a 7 year / $39,582,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $12,500,000 signing bonus, $15,950,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $5,654,571.

last 2 yrs were 6m per

He's going to average $12.5M per for the 1st two years, and then drop down to $4.5M per for the final 3? Seems like that could be problematic.

Yeah, I don't like that. They got Cameron, they weren't going to match that much for Clay. I think we overpaid without needing to.

Is it just me or is Clay only slightly better number wise than Chandler? There's overpaying. And then there's this.

They could have had an elite plaer for the same $25 million over two years at any number of positions except QB. But instead they spend it on Clay?

I like clay but not like like like like like him

I guess if you have a bunch of extra room and feel like burning money it doesn't hurt, but you probably could've done better, like yudkin said.

who was out there you could get for that $$ -- just about anybody

GroveDiesel said:
So he basically has the 4th biggest TE contact. I guess I just don't get it. His best season was about 750 yards and 6 TDs. He's a much better blocker than Thomas or Graham, but not nearly the receiver.
If he repeats those numbers, that would be the best season by a Bills TE in franchise history by a pretty solid margin.

His home team tendered him for a little over $7 million a year. We signed him for a little over $7.5 million a year. I don't see that extra half million as a big deal.

Dr. Octopus said:
Mr. Peterson said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
They should have just traded for Jimmy Graham.
:lol: sure, if they had Max Unger or a 1st.
It was a joke just based on the salaries.

Sure they would have needed to also pay a nice price on top of shelling out the big money, but Graham is a game changer while Clay is a league average TE imo. I don't see anything special about him that required a team throwing so much guaranteed money at him.

I prefer his overall game to Chandler's for sure - but when you consider the opportunity cost of the cap space and real world dollar differences between the two players, give me Chandler.

GroveDiesel said:
If he repeats those numbers, that would be the best season by a Bills TE in franchise history by a pretty solid margin.

His home team tendered him for a little over $7 million a year. We signed him for a little over $7.5 million a year. I don't see that extra half million as a big deal.
That seems o be setting pretty low standards though. That'd be like gettin excited for a QB that was their best one since Drew Bledsoe.

GroveDiesel said:

Chandler had a season of 571-6 and a season of 655-2 - I guess whether that's a "solid margin" of difference is debatable, but you'd also need to consider the opportunity cost of paying their salary difference to their overall roster.

GroveDiesel said:

Chandler had a season of 571-6 and a season of 655-2 - I guess whether that's a "solid margin" of difference is debatable, but you'd also need to consider the opportunity cost of paying their salary difference to their overall roster.
Clay is also far better blocker than Chandler which I'm sure appeals highly to Rex. Bills are effectively like a fantasy team that waited too long to get a quality QB and has to go heavy at every other position.

GroveDiesel said:

Clay is also far better blocker than Chandler which I'm sure appeals highly to Rex. Bills are effectively like a fantasy team that waited too long to get a quality QB and has to go heavy at every other position.
like fantasy teams, the Bills don't use an OLine either. ;)

GroveDiesel said:

I don't have a problem with the total amount of money- that average salary would put him at ~8th highest paid TE in the league this year, which is fine. The problem is the structure- he's actually going to be the highest paid TE in the league for the next 2 years, and then he's due to drop down to what will probably put him outside of the top 15 or so TEs for the next 3. I can see that being a pretty big issue down the road.

Speculation that the Chargers could have interest in Mariota and let Rivers' walk after this year. If the Bills can make themselves a playoff team and look attractive to a FA QB, they should go all in to get Rivers if that happens,

That's all way down the road, but a situation like that would be everything Buffalo fans could hope for.
This is what I was talking about earlier- there are a bunch of good QBs who are due to be FAs next year, so it doesn't have to come from the draft. Most won't make it to free agency, but all it takes is one. Unfortunately, they now have a lot less cap space to go "all in" with.

Users who are viewing this thread