What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 College football thread - Auburn’s gotta Auburn. (3 Viewers)

@BruceFeldmanCFB: Just asked Lane Kiffin for his thoughts on Jimbo going scorched Earth on his old mentor, Nick Saban: "Speechless for the first time in my life."

I wonder if Saban just exposed himself to some defamation of character liability with the comments about Travis Hunter and Jackson State.

I went and did what Saban said and read the stories about it. And what I see is reporting that a Twitter fake Adam Schefter account tweeted about a $1.5mil NIL contract to get him to come to Jackson State.  And then a bunch of articles that seem to debunk it.

"and a stern talking to"

@Brett_McMurphy: SEC issues “public reprimand” of Alabama’s Nick Saban & Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, for their comments in last 24 hours, for violating SEC Bylaws 10.2.3 and 10.5.2 related to Ethical Conduct for derogatory comments & public criticism of another institution’s athletics program

"and a stern talking to"

@Brett_McMurphy: SEC issues “public reprimand” of Alabama’s Nick Saban & Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher, for their comments in last 24 hours, for violating SEC Bylaws 10.2.3 and 10.5.2 related to Ethical Conduct for derogatory comments & public criticism of another institution’s athletics program
There were nuns in my Catholic school that gave harder raps on the knuckles that. 

Jimbo shouldn't be so passive. I'd like to see how he really feels about Nick's comments. 

They keep it up and they're both probably going to go on double secret probation. 

Saban is honest but doesn’t control his anger well, which leads to thoughts every year or so he regrets and ignites the media but aren’t inaccurate and directed more at College Football/NCAA than anyone. Jimbo is petulant and easy to read…now with an intensifying spotlight on his program.   :popcorn:

As someone who didn't go to a big football school, this is great. 

Looking forward to the newest UM cornerback transfer driving around Miami in a yellow Maybach with Rick Ross. 

Saban is honest but doesn’t control his anger well, which leads to thoughts every year or so he regrets and ignites the media but aren’t inaccurate and directed more at College Football/NCAA than anyone. Jimbo is petulant and easy to read…now with an intensifying spotlight on his program.   :popcorn:
He’s just mad that everybody can do in the open what he’s been doing for years. Projection. 

He’s just mad that everybody can do in the open what he’s been doing for years. Projection. 
Don’t buy it, Cap. Bama bag men dont have $30m let alone for 12 straight years. TAMU’s class is such an obvious outlier.

Don’t buy it, Cap. Bama bag men dont have $30m let alone for 12 straight years. TAMU’s class is such an obvious outlier.
Of course Jimbo’s class is an outlier and Saban has been paying players for years (not 30M but still). Both things can true. 

Capella said:
Of course Jimbo’s class is an outlier and Saban has been paying players for years (not 30M but still). Both things can true. 
Can’t argue with that but there is parity among power programs in that aspect and his dominance is from performance…i think he is concerned that paying players directly to attend your school tilts it to money vs performance.

Can’t argue with that but there is parity among power programs in that aspect and his dominance is from performance…i think he is concerned that paying players directly to attend your school tilts it to money vs performance.

What's the issue with that?   If the Texas and California schools start winning again is it awful?  Who is hurt?  

What's the issue with that?   If the Texas and California schools start winning again is it awful?  Who is hurt?  
If it comes down to boosters, I'm kind of interested to see which wacky billionaires from random schools decide to put together a nice NIL group. 

Alabama and Clemson are professional factories, but they don't have a built in advantage when it comes to alumni money. Shoot, Stanford has alumni that could hire every 5 star in the country, and it would be a rounding error for them. 

If it comes down to boosters, I'm kind of interested to see which wacky billionaires from random schools decide to put together a nice NIL group. 

Alabama and Clemson are professional factories, but they don't have a built in advantage when it comes to alumni money. Shoot, Stanford has alumni that could hire every 5 star in the country, and it would be a rounding error for them. 

Alabama and Clemson are well positioned geographically to the Louisiana - Florida talent bases, with reaches into Texas and anywhere else they want.  It was right place at right time with the right coach(es).  I will use this joke a lot but Mike Price's hooker doesn't ring up a 1k room service tab, Alabama may be Tennessee right now.  It's not like they can't regress to the mean either with or without NIL.  

If this spices things up, while giving kids that are playing as more or less slaves, money in their pocket for doing so, then who is the big loser here?  Why is this wrong?  

Can we maybe have a season where a top five program isn't sitting on the bench behind Saban?  NIL has the potential here to make college football a lot less stale, and bring programs from the west coast back from the dead.  

I don't know much about Alabama's NIL potential, I've seen the information that their rankings and salary scale is in line with somewhere like Houston down in the 300s.  It still doesn't take many to bring together a huge amount of cash, plus t-shirt fans are welcome.  

Again both things can be true. Saban is the best college coach ever and players go there because they send them to the league, and Bama has been paying players forever. 

I just assume that whoever is killing it in the current landscape, their default reaction to change is NO.

If you are Dabo or Saban, why would you want anything to change the status quo? It's like, of COURSE Saban doesn't want anything to change. 

I really don't feel the need to get too much deeper into the reasoning of these guys, and every argument against the NIL future I have heard has been pretty lame, to be honest. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I just assume that whoever is killing it in the current landscape, their default reaction to change is NO.

If you are Dabo or Saban, why would you want anything to change the status quo? It's like, of COURSE Saban doesn't want anything to change. 

I really don't feel the need to get too much deeper into the reasoning of these guys, and every argument against the NIL future I have heard has been pretty lame, to be honest. 
I mean, I'm kinda agnostic on the whole deal.  At the same time, I'm trying to go with the flow and watch and see where it goes.  You're right in that if your nudge nudge wink wink arrangement is working out for you, you're not of a mind to change it.  That's one of the reasons I don't mind this; it might open the CFP up to something other than the Alabama Invitational.

Also, I do love me a good slap fight.  Perhaps we can get Saban - Fisher signed up for Summerslam this year. 

culdeus said:
Nothing..You're right end of the day...the market will adjust also off performance after we get in to this deeper.  And coaches will be under more pressure than ever.  And many kids will still go to the place they feel will best develop them. 

I guess it's just A) the way Fisher gets so defensive when he's so clearly dishonest about what drove the Greatest Class Ever, and B) what Sankey has pointed out, that this was not what NIL was supposed to do (even though everyone saw it coming)...which was payments basically routed directly from schools to kids via Collectives.  It is entertaining... can't wait for Oct 8th!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread