What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Week 18 Flex Game Speculation Thread (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
I don't see this thread up yet so I figure I would start it off.

Barring a collapse by either I would think Bengals at Browns is the strongest candidate (if Baltimore cannot recover from Lamar's ankle). 

The reason I say this is there is a sporting chance that the game determines which finished ahead of the other.

If they have the same record going in, well duh.

If the Browns are a game ahead of the Bengals then a Bengals win gives Cincy the tiebreaker (Division record).

If the Bengals are ahead of the Browns then a Browns win gives Cleveland the tiebreaker (head-to-head).

Still a lot ahead for these 2 inconsistent teams but a lot of scenarios that can put them in a defacto playoff game in Week 18.

-QG

That as good a call as any - looks like a weak week 18 for matchups.

Would add possibilities as:

Steelers vs Ravens - could be a wildcard spot on the line

Pats v Fins - seeding for one, possible wildcard for other

Cowboys v Eagles - Same as above

SF v LAR - Same as above

And it looks like a solid shot we might not have a night game that day

Steelers vs Ratbirds is what the NFL and NBC would be praying for of course.  It's interesting as the Packers are going to have a big say in that division race down the stretch

-QG

Rough slate of games, plus they’re also supposed to be flexing games with “playoff implications” into the two Saturday ESPN slots.

Bengals-Browns seems like it could have the highest stakes at the moment but it’s possible there may not be a “winner take all” scenario in any of them

so like 99.99% this is Raiders vs Chargers now right?  Given that if the Colts beat the Jags then this is automatically a playoff game this has to be the call.  Slim chance Raiders could be clinched by kickoff even if they should lose but Chargers would still need it I am pretty sure.

Don't think any of the NFC games have that win and in or lose and out possibility.

-QG

Rough slate of games, plus they’re also supposed to be flexing games with “playoff implications” into the two Saturday ESPN slots.

Bengals-Browns seems like it could have the highest stakes at the moment but it’s possible there may not be a “winner take all” scenario in any of them
 The Saturday flex likely will be ones involving a chance at the bye I would think.

-QG

I believe Chargers vs Raiders is a game for a playoff spot no matter what else happens, so that seems like the obvious choice at this point.

The Saturday flex likely will be ones involving a chance at the bye I would think.

-QG
Yes, I feel like they have to go that route. If they pick games with wildcard implications it gives the teams playing on Sunday an unfair advantage. So maybe Titans-Texans and Chiefs-Broncos? Then again, maybe that would give the Bengals an advantage, because they would know whether or not they can rest their starters. (Also, I doubt the league really wants to feature the Texans in a national game if they can avoid it).

Has to be Raiders-Chargers on SNF

The Saturday games are kind of irrelevant.  I guess having the Chiefs game on Saturday means they'll have to play their starters just in case Tenn loses to Hou the next day.

The Saturday games are kind of irrelevant.  I guess having the Chiefs game on Saturday means they'll have to play their starters just in case Tenn loses to Hou the next day.
I feel like Cowboys-Eagles is more about ratings than it is playoff implications.

One question about SNF: As I understand it, LAC is win-and-in, but with the Raiders, while that's the most likely scenario, it's a little more complicated. Is there a chance they could be eliminated before kickoff? I think it comes down to Colts-Jags. If they win (and they're obviously heavy favorites), they get one of the remaining spots and Chargers-Raiders are fighting it out for the other, but if they lose it opens up a bunch of other scenarios for the Steelers and Ravens.

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a good explanation of the different possibilities. Usually those are everywhere this time of year. 

I feel like Cowboys-Eagles is more about ratings than it is playoff implications.

One question about SNF: As I understand it, LAC is win-and-in, but with the Raiders, while that's the most likely scenario, it's a little more complicated. Is there a chance they could be eliminated before kickoff? I think it comes down to Colts-Jags. If they win (and they're obviously heavy favorites), they get one of the remaining spots and Chargers-Raiders are fighting it out for the other, but if they lose it opens up a bunch of other scenarios for the Steelers and Ravens.

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding a good explanation of the different possibilities. Usually those are everywhere this time of year. 
You have it right regarding the Steelers-Ravens.   The Steelers need to beat the Browns tonight and Ravens next week, the Ravens need to beat the Steelers next week and both need the Jags to beat the Colts.

You have it right regarding the Steelers-Ravens.   The Steelers need to beat the Browns tonight and Ravens next week, the Ravens need to beat the Steelers next week and both need the Jags to beat the Colts.
After playing around with the ESPN Playoff Machine, it does not appear there's any scenario where Chargers-Raiders is totally meaningless for either team, but I think it's possible the Raiders could clinch a spot before kickoff and be playing for seeding. In any event all this speculation is pointless unless the Colts lose to the Jags, so ... um, yeah.

ETA: Also, considering that the difference between the 6 and 7 seeds is playing KC or Cinci, I think the Raiders will be highly motivated to get the higher seed if they can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread