What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Buffalo Bills (5 Viewers)

What kind of atmosphere are we going to get on Sunday? I will be there as usual, going to convert my #3 Manuel jersey to Hamlin. I am just not sure what to expect other than it being extremely emotional at the start.

Praying there is good news before then

Just throwing this out there, but there has been some discussion of Hyde still maybe being able to make it back this year. He’s been working pretty hard to the side during practices for weeks reportedly. How incredible would it be if he comes back, takes back his spot now vacated by Hamlin’s loss, and the Bills go on to win a Super Bowl?

According to 538, we have a 29% chance to win the SB if we beat the Bengals next week. We have a 12% chance if we lose. That's almost a 150% change hinging on just one game. That's wild considering that this game has no implications at all in terms of who wins what division -- it's entirely seeding.
A playoff bye is absolutely massive. Frankly, I hate the new system. Giving a single team a bye is such a huge advantage over everyone else IMO. Not only is it one less chance to lose and be eliminated, the extra week of healing up is enormous as well.
It would be interesting if they let the #1 seed decide. You can take the bye or the #1 seed. Whatever you don’t pick, the #2 team gets.

Take the bye and you might end up on the road for the AFC championship game. Take home field and you need to win an extra game.

Split the benefits between two teams instead of giving them all to #1
I heard today they are considering this?

The positive Damar Hamlin developments over the last 24 hours have seriously galvanized the Bills locker room. Raucous applause went off when Mario Hamlin, Damar’s dad, addressed the team via Zoom. ‘We finally started to smile after that,’ one person with the team told me.

I actually feel kind of sorry for the Pats if they have to face a Bills team that will be this pumped up following news like this.

The positive Damar Hamlin developments over the last 24 hours have seriously galvanized the Bills locker room. Raucous applause went off when Mario Hamlin, Damar’s dad, addressed the team via Zoom. ‘We finally started to smile after that,’ one person with the team told me.

I actually feel kind of sorry for the Pats if they have to face a Bills team that will be this pumped up following news like this.
That's fantastic. They needed some good news and positive vibes.

Hope they come back strong through all of this. Been a heck of a few days for them.

Is it too late for The Bills players to have their nameplates on all the jersey's read HAMLIN?
I mean a patch of somekind is great,but can you imagine every jersey with HAMLIN on the back?
And to qualify I'm not a Bills fan,I root for another team,but as a football fan watching the game....wow....shivers

Geez, and now we find out Murph suffered a stroke last weekend? Man, this year, and especially this week, has been rough.

So glad for all the positive news coming out on Hamlin though.

Geez, and now we find out Murph suffered a stroke last weekend? Man, this year, and especially this week, has been rough.

So glad for all the positive news coming out on Hamlin though.
Yeah, I heard about that a bit earlier. It made me go look up the cause of death for his brother Paul, as I worked for him for a couple years. Great guy.

Anyway, what a cursed season. I really hope we're at the end of the negativity for the rest of the season.

I wonder if the Bills think at all about trying Benford at safety? When he was drafted, there was talk about that potentially being his future with the Bills anyway. He’s better at zone than he is man to man which plays well at the free safety position.

He obviously hasn’t practiced there much so maybe they end up just not being comfortable with it, but seems like maybe it’s worth a try now. He’s inactive today so clearly not happening today.

Remind me again why they traded for Hines instead of someone like Wilson?

Since you asked. :D
Guessing he's the highest paid kick returner in the league, he'd better do that every week. :lol:

Seriously though, really hope the lack of running game doesn't doom them again this post season.
Football Outsiders has them as the #2 team in RB yards. They’re 4th in power run success rate. They’re 7th in 2nd level yards per carry. They’re 3rd in open field yards. James Cook is averaging 5.7 ypc. Devin Singletary is averaging 4.6 ypc.

This last week was the first time all year the Bills were under 100 yards rushing (largely attributable to the fact that they ran 2 kickoffs back for TDs which eliminated 2 of their offensive possessions). Coming into the week, they were the ONLY team in the NFL that had rushed for over 100 yards every game.

If there’s a “problem” with the run game it’s simply that they don’t run it a ton in general. Other than that, the only even somewhat concerning running stat is that they are 13th in run stuff percentage. So their worst stat is still above average.

If you still think the Bills were going to be able to trade for anyone that is better than James Cook right now, you’re crazy. McCaffery is the only one that may have been better and that just wasn’t happening.

Statistics aside, the Bills running game this year definitely passes the eyeball test. When they want to run the ball, they're generally able to do so effectively. It wasn't always like that last year.

The key is "when they want to run the ball." It's not a good idea to take the ball out of Josh Allen's hands any more than necessary to keep the defense on its toes. Generally speaking, every handoff to a RB is a win for the defense. We have to mix in some runs, and there are game situations that call for the 5-minute offense, but this team should absolutely be a pass-first team.

Now needing an upgrade at CB, that’s another story. A better WR would have been great too, but Allen+Diggs+Knox I think can paper over that a bit.

The defense is struggling and has been for a while. I’m not sure how they stop the Bengals or the Chiefs unless it’s by getting a bit lucky with turnovers.

Now needing an upgrade at CB, that’s another story. A better WR would have been great too, but Allen+Diggs+Knox I think can paper over that a bit.

The defense is struggling and has been for a while. I’m not sure how they stop the Bengals or the Chiefs unless it’s by getting a bit lucky with turnovers.
Agreed. There was very little pressure yesterday from the Dline.

Agreed. There was very little pressure yesterday from the Dline.
Which was highly concerning seeing as how they seemed to be blitzing quite a bit.

It turns out that losing a HOF edge rusher and having an injury-riddled secondary makes it harder to get pressure on the QB.

This situation isn't anybody's fault. If we're in the mood to second-guess our FO, we can point out that our WR room was nowhere near as strong as we had been led to believe it would be at the start of the season. I don't really blame anybody for that either, but at least it's a player-evaluation failure. The situation with the defense is just a stupid amount of injuries. And unfortunately we're just going to have to roll with whoever's healthy and hope for the best. Probably we'll need to win at least one flat-out track meet if we make it to the SB.

Remind me again why they traded for Hines instead of someone like Wilson?

Since you asked. :D
Guessing he's the highest paid kick returner in the league, he'd better do that every week. :lol:

Seriously though, really hope the lack of running game doesn't doom them again this post season.
Football Outsiders has them as the #2 team in RB yards. They’re 4th in power run success rate. They’re 7th in 2nd level yards per carry. They’re 3rd in open field yards. James Cook is averaging 5.7 ypc. Devin Singletary is averaging 4.6 ypc.

This last week was the first time all year the Bills were under 100 yards rushing (largely attributable to the fact that they ran 2 kickoffs back for TDs which eliminated 2 of their offensive possessions). Coming into the week, they were the ONLY team in the NFL that had rushed for over 100 yards every game.

If there’s a “problem” with the run game it’s simply that they don’t run it a ton in general. Other than that, the only even somewhat concerning running stat is that they are 13th in run stuff percentage. So their worst stat is still above average.

If you still think the Bills were going to be able to trade for anyone that is better than James Cook right now, you’re crazy. McCaffery is the only one that may have been better and that just wasn’t happening.
Wait, you think McCaffrey "may have been better" than James Cook, and I'm crazy? :lmao:

Have you ever thought that perhaps the reason they don't run the ball more is because they don't trust their guys? I mean, I don't blame them- when they need the tough yards I'd rather have Allen keep it than hand it off to one of them, but that's eventually going to come back to bite them.

There were other guys rumored to be available like Josh Jacobs, and heck even Cam Akers turned it on at the end, but yes, I would rather have Jeff Wilson over Nyheim Hines on this roster. Regardless, this isn't just about this trade deadline, I've been saying it for years- they need a power RB, especially for when the bad weather hits and the post season.

Well, one way is to keep their offenses off the field by successfully running the ball and controlling the clock, which also allows your D to rest. It's going to be difficult to win a shootout with no running game as we saw in KC last year.

Well, one way is to keep their offenses off the field by successfully running the ball and controlling the clock, which also allows your D to rest. It's going to be difficult to win a shootout with no running game as we saw in KC last year.
The reason why we almost won that game was #17. The lack of a running game was immaterial. The presence of a passing game and lack of a pass rush were decisive.

I should add here that I'm not philosophically for or against running the ball. I'm just for putting the ball in the hands of our best player.

Once upon a time, our best offensive player was Fred Jackson, and I was all in favor of feeding him the ball. Same with Shady, and Lynch, and McGahee, and probably some other RBs who I'm forgetting at the moment. But now our best player is our QB and our second-best player is Diggs and our third-best player is probably I don't know Knox I guess. You have to get past those guys before any of our RBs even enter the conversation.

The reason why we almost won that game was #17. The lack of a running game was immaterial. The presence of a passing game and lack of a pass rush were decisive.
The reason why they lost is because they couldn't stop KC at the end, and a contributing factor to that was that their D was on the field for 9 more minutes than KC's was during the game. That certainly impacts the pass rush, so I think the lack of a running game was hardly immaterial.
I should add here that I'm not philosophically for or against running the ball. I'm just for putting the ball in the hands of our best player.

Once upon a time, our best offensive player was Fred Jackson, and I was all in favor of feeding him the ball. Same with Shady, and Lynch, and McGahee, and probably some other RBs who I'm forgetting at the moment. But now our best player is our QB and our second-best player is Diggs and our third-best player is probably I don't know Knox I guess. You have to get past those guys before any of our RBs even enter the conversation.
Well, that's why they need a better RB.

So awesome. I suddenly like the defense a whole lot more if Hyde is back there against the Bengals and Chiefs. And Crowder may be a nice piece of the puzzle as the #3 WR if he can come back.

So awesome. I suddenly like the defense a whole lot more if Hyde is back there against the Bengals and Chiefs. And Crowder may be a nice piece of the puzzle as the #3 WR if he can come back.
Everybody is understandably concerned about Damar Hamlin's long-term health, but the bottom line is that we're putting a third-string safety out there. Against Mac Jones, that doesn't matter. Against a Tua-less Miami team, that probably doesn't matter. Against the Bengals and Chiefs, it matters a lot. Getting Hyde back would be huge.

Everybody is understandably concerned about Damar Hamlin's long-term health, but the bottom line is that we're putting a third-string safety out there. Against Mac Jones, that doesn't matter. Against a Tua-less Miami team, that probably doesn't matter. Against the Bengals and Chiefs, it matters a lot. Getting Hyde back would be huge.
Oh yeah, and Hamlin got discharged today.

Rooting for y'all. Nothing to do with Damar. Just happy that a great group of fans and players has a chance to get to the top of the mountain. I'm a huge fan of Allen and Diggs. Now that we stink I'm rooting for you guys. Don't hate the Chargers, Jags, or Bengals either.

Good luck.

Seems unlikely and always gotta be careful what you wish for, but definitely rooting for the Ravens and Jags this week which would lead to Jags at Buffalo and Ravens at KC next week. Would rather play the Jags than Bengals or Bolts and would be nice for the Ravens to at least beat up on KC.

Seems unlikely and always gotta be careful what you wish for, but definitely rooting for the Ravens and Jags this week which would lead to Jags at Buffalo and Ravens at KC next week. Would rather play the Jags than Bengals or Bolts and would be nice for the Ravens to at least beat up on KC.

I certainly wouldn't complain about that outcome, but what if the Chargers got to go to KC to try to get a win against the Chiefs? Divisional games are tough. Supposedly it is really hard to beat a team 3 times in one year. (Though I doubt there's any statistical proof of that - I think it's probably just rare, not hard.)

If

I certainly wouldn't complain about that outcome, but what if the Chargers got to go to KC to try to get a win against the Chiefs? Divisional games are tough. Supposedly it is really hard to beat a team 3 times in one year. (Though I doubt there's any statistical proof of that - I think it's probably just rare, not hard.)
If the Chargers beat the Jags and Ravens beat the Bengals, the Bills have to play the Chargers. Only way the Chiefs play the Chargers is if the Chargers and Bengals both win. And fwiw, I’d really prefer not to play the Bengals though that is certainly the most likely matchup assuming the Bills win this week.

So yeah, I stick with my being a fan of the Jags and Ravens.

We'd obviously prefer not to play the Bengals, but I'm not even seriously entertaining any other possibility. They're quite obviously going to be the team we face in the next round, assuming we get past Miami.

We'd obviously prefer not to play the Bengals, but I'm not even seriously entertaining any other possibility. They're quite obviously going to be the team we face in the next round, assuming we get past Miami.
Exactly, which is why I'm kind of hoping the Chargers go to KC rather than the Jags.

I don’t want to have to play the Bengals, but it would be kind of fitting/fair. The Bengals did get kind of screwed by how things played out, so the two of them playing does seem destined.

Anyone think Hamlin will be at the game? If not this week, I'd be surprised if he wasn't at next week's. (Assuming the Bills win, yadda, yadda, yadda...)

Anyone think Hamlin will be at the game? If not this week, I'd be surprised if he wasn't at next week's. (Assuming the Bills win, yadda, yadda, yadda...)
I bet he gets announced at that start of this week’s game. Kinda wish they’d wait and do it next week because the odds are they’ll win this week and have a much tougher matchup next week where a little pre-game bump would be even more meaningful, but with no guarantees of next week, I think it will be this week.

I know that there’s no use being frustrated and injuries happen and the Bills are still a very good team, but was just feeling frustrated/bummed today that Von Miller is out. They made the right move in signing him and he absolutely was a difference maker and closer until he got injured. The defense has bigger flaws without him now. Really feels like if he was healthy the Bills would be the definitive favorite. What could have been.

With that being said:

Let’s get hyped for the playoffs!

I bet he gets announced at that start of this week’s game. Kinda wish they’d wait and do it next week because the odds are they’ll win this week and have a much tougher matchup next week where a little pre-game bump would be even more meaningful, but with no guarantees of next week, I think it will be this week.
I kinda didn't want to say it, but I agree. The hype bump next week would be awesome.

I know that there’s no use being frustrated and injuries happen and the Bills are still a very good team, but was just feeling frustrated/bummed today that Von Miller is out. They made the right move in signing him and he absolutely was a difference maker and closer until he got injured. The defense has bigger flaws without him now. Really feels like if he was healthy the Bills would be the definitive favorite. What could have been.

With that being said:

Thanks for posting that video. Gave me partial goosebumps a few times. Can't wait to play it for my boys tomorrow...

With that being said:

I'm pretty sure I heard Chris Brown was filling in for Murph on the radio call. I've been assuming that was him on the Nyheim Hines KO return calls I've seen over the past week, and in that video. Can anyone confirm that?

I don't mean to offend Murph, but If so, those were better than any call I can think of since Van Miller. Also, if so, I hope Chris Brown keeps that job. (I definitely hope John Murphy is fully healthy, or on his way. Seems like a good guy.)

With that being said:

I'm pretty sure I heard Chris Brown was filling in for Murph on the radio call. I've been assuming that was him on the Nyheim Hines KO return calls I've seen over the past week, and in that video. Can anyone confirm that?

I don't mean to offend Murph, but If so, those were better than any call I can think of since Van Miller. Also, if so, I hope Chris Brown keeps that job. (I definitely hope John Murphy is fully healthy, or on his way. Seems like a good guy.)
Yeah it was Brown

With that being said:

Yup. Brown and Eric Wood teamed up for the radio calls.

I don’t think I want to see this SD Dline up against the Bills. Hoping our Oline can play well tomorrow and down the stretch.

Geez. Y’all better be seriously rooting for the Ravens tomorrow night. The Chiefs having the #1 seed fall into their lap and then getting the Jags in their first game would make me throw up in my mouth a little.

Geez. Y’all better be seriously rooting for the Ravens tomorrow night. The Chiefs having the #1 seed fall into their lap and then getting the Jags in their first game would make me throw up in my mouth a little.
Then they get Baltimore. Still I would rather have Jax than CIN assuming the Bills take care of business.

Then they get Baltimore. Still I would rather have Jax than CIN assuming the Bills take care of business.
Baltimore without Jackson is obviously a totally different team, but Dobbins makes the offense ok even with a lesser QB and the Ravens defense has done a decent job against top QBs….ugh.

Screw it, I hope the Bills can beat the Dolphins and Bengals and that KC chokes and loses to the Jags.

Users who are viewing this thread