What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (33 Viewers)

Campbell in postgame locker room

Lions coaches vs teams 5+ games over .500

Jim Schwartz: 0-10
Jim Caldwell: 0-8
Matt Patricia: 0-2
Darrell Bevell: 0-2
Dan Campbell: 3-0

Love it, and I can see why players would love it too.

If DC would have figured it out a little earlier Lions could easily be 6-4. But he is learning on the job.

As I end up realising every year, there is very little in about 25ish of the NFL teams. You have 2-4 elite teams, 2-4 absolute dumpster fires that are tanking for a new QB then the rest are all just marginal depending on injuries/ref decisions/HC mistakes etc. Lions threw the game away against 8-2 Viking in week 3 or whenever it was. If they’d won that, what would they have gone on to do up until now ??

Alim McNeill had his most complete game as a pro. 4 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 sack, 3 QB hits.

Cominsky had a sack and 2 TFL - pretty big game with Josh Pascal and Charles Harris out. Hutch with the INT and FR - he's so much more effective when they stand him up (same as college.)

Evan Brown went down after 14 plays, Dan Skipper once again stepped in and the offense didn't miss a beat. Tremendous game in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Lions went for it on 4th down zero times yesterday. 2nd time this year (Dallas.) 4/6 v MIN, 0/6 v NE. With this coach I don't mind seeing a 0/0 once in awhile.

But seriously, I do feel like MCDC has been much calmer in game of late, not pressing too much. He's learning to trust the players more.

• 1.01 Travon Walker, ED/LB
    61.2 PFF grade
    36 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PD, 0 FF, 0 FR

• 1.02 Aidan Hutchinson, ED
    66.8 PFF
    31 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT, 2 PD, 0 FF, 1 FR

• Derek Singley Jr, CB
    49.1 PFF
    43 tackes, 1 INT, 5 PD

• 1.03 Suace Gardner, CB
    86.1 PFF
    45 tackles, 2 INT, 14 PD

• Kayvon Thibodeaux, ED
    65.3 PFF
    19 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT, 3 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR
Gardner should win DRotY in a landslide. But if Aidan gets to double digits in sacks he'll get some support. Micah Parsons grade out close to 90 as a rookie and 14 sacks.

• 1.01 Travon Walker, ED/LB
    61.2 PFF grade
    36 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PD, 0 FF, 0 FR

• 1.02 Aidan Hutchinson, ED
    66.8 PFF
    31 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 2 INT, 2 PD, 0 FF, 1 FR

• Derek Singley Jr, CB
    49.1 PFF
    43 tackes, 1 INT, 5 PD

• 1.03 Suace Gardner, CB
    86.1 PFF
    45 tackles, 2 INT, 14 PD

• Kayvon Thibodeaux, ED
    65.3 PFF
    19 tackles, 1 sack, 0 INT, 3 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR
Gardner should win DRotY in a landslide. But if Aidan gets to double digits in sacks he'll get some support. Micah Parsons grade out close to 90 as a rookie and 14 sacks.

Agree that Hutch is way better standing up and a little of the line where he is not engaged right away. Where did Cominsky come from? Had not seen much of him all year.

Speaking of Parsons he was unblockable yesterday. Cousins "did not like that" at all.

I just want to congratulate you all for 3 wins in a row. I'm happy for the players and I hope that Dan Campbell can finish strong so there isn't a lot of questions about who is leading this team in 2023. I see big things coming for the Lions and maybe because they have been doormats for so long, I like the uniforms, the look, wish they would figure out how to play on real grass, whatever the cost. Build a place adjacent that's a green house like thing that is there for the sole purpose of a proper turf vs that carpet. That's my only complaint

Maybe Goff won't take you to the promised land but you are armed with the Rams #1 and let me tell you that's starting to look like your future QB if you choose to go that route. I think Goff is worth something in a trade, not sure his exact value but he's better than at least 8-10 starting QBs this past weekend. Goff needs everything running well around him but he's not terrible and i could see a Playoff level team that needs an upgrade there, could be traded for the right price.

Hutch is a BEAST! I like him a lot and thought he was one of the absolute gems in the Draft, so happy for him. He is going to be the face of the franchise on defense, just a delight to watch and root for. Maybe the biggest thing since Watt or the Bosa Brothers, he's on that level which quite frankly makes him an All-Pro almost immediately and that's rare in the NFL. This guy can get sacks, picks, TFLs, he's a nightmare walking.

This team is ready to create a new fan base or expand greatly on the one they've treated so poorly for so long. It sure looks like things are on the cusp of getting better. Hoping for a good showing on Thanksgiving, easy to say automatic loss but I really hope the Lions make them earn it.

Cheers from South Beach

The Blood-Orange IPA is very good

So now Justin Jackson is getting more snaps and touches than D'Andre Swift.

Swift is the only true disappointment on this team IMO.

I am an admitted bandwagon fan that was on board for about 10 years then hopped off when I no longer had any Lions on my fantasy rosters. ARSB brought me back around this summer and it has been an exciting/frustrating ride. Glad to see they are getting healthier and things are coming together. Some teams you can just look at and tell the players have given up and don't want to be there. Not these guys, they look hungry and united.

Here's to MCDC shouting "that's four" in the locker room Thursday afternoon.

And also shouting "that's ten" in Lambeau week 18 :lol:

So now Justin Jackson is getting more snaps and touches than D'Andre Swift.

Swift is the only true disappointment on this team IMO.

Never that excited about Swift, although he did look good early. Much rather be giving more feeds to Jackson.

As an outsider looking in, the future looks really good for the Lions. They definitely have some fight in them. This coming offseason is huge for them if they are ever going to start turning the corner.

Really interested to see how they look on Thursday.

Week 11 PFF Grade highlights

Top 5 overall offensive grades​

LT Taylor Decker – 86.3

WR Amon-Ra St. Brown – 82.4

LG Justin Jonah Jackson – 80.8

RT Penei Sewell – 73.8

WR Kalif Raymond – 72.4

The OL thrived in New York. Interestingly, both St. Brown and Raymond earned individual blocking grades over 86, indicating greatness. Decker did not allow a single QB pressure against the Giants, largely marched up against first-rounder Kayvon Thibodeaux.

Lowest 5 offensive grades

QB Jared Goff – 47.9

FB Jason Cabinda – 49.8

TE James Mitchell – 53.0

WR DJ Chark – 53.5

RB D’Andre Swift – 54.6

Goff registered his lowest-graded game of the season, both overall and as a passer (42.4). Cabinda’s grade was impacted by a dropped pass and a missed blitz pickup assignment. Swift’s fumble lowered his grade, which was salvaged by a late TD.

Top 5 overall defensive grades​

NT Alim McNeill – 91.0

DE Aidan Hutchinson – 85.6

CB Will Harris – 77.8

S Kerby Joseph – 69.2

LB Derrick Barnes – 69.0

McNeill had a whale of a game, as did Hutchinson with his INT and fumble recovery. Four of the five players here are rookies or in their second seasons. Harris continues to play well as the team’s primary slot CB.

Bottom 5 defensive grades​

LB Chris Board – 27.8

DE Austin Bryant – 32.9

LB Malcolm Rodriguez – 34.7

CB Mike Hughes – 42.9

DL John Cominsky – 46.5

Board’s low score was based on coverage, where he surrendered a touchdown and was beaten for another catch. Bryant missed two tackles, while Rodriguez was beaten for four receptions and a lot of yards-after-catch.

Last edited:
Also, Cabinda at FB being back is huge. Dude is friggin' load, great blocker.

Week 11 first defense play was Alim McNeill stuffing Barkley for a TFL.

First offensive play was Penei walking back Big Cat Williams and Jonah pulling and Cabinda leading, Jamaal goes for 11 yards.

Talk about setting the tone - that was the whole game condensed.

This is a physical football team playing the brand of football Campbell & Holmes envisioned when they came in here.

Motor City Smashmouth

four plays from Hutchinson
  • comes all the way across the formation to take down Saquon (with Barnes)
  • blows up the toss sweep by overpowering Golladay forcing Barkley wide
  • one step rush then drops off into coverage, great athletic play to intercept + return 20 yards
  • always be hustling - fumble recovery after Will Harris forces the ball out

Speaking of Justin, anything to see here? Teams usually can't support 3 RBs, but he seems to be carving out a role with Swift getting so few touches.

Speaking of Justin, anything to see here? Teams usually can't support 3 RBs, but he seems to be carving out a role with Swift getting so few touches.

D’Andre is essentially the CoP back rn

Justin ran hard got rewarded with a season high 24 snaps

Last 3:

JW 36-24-30
DS 9-18-20
JJ 12-16-24

JC (FB) x-12-26

It ain’t broke

That said, gonna be fun having Jamo running around soon - could really see this offense taking off

(31 two of the last three and five times on the year, not complaining - I think Ben Johnson is killing it)

The defense is the reason they’re winning. Would be great, though, if we just stuck with run heavy, move the chains with ARSB, and send Jameson on the occasional 9 route when they stack the box.

D’Andre is essentially the CoP back rn

Justin ran hard got rewarded with a season high 24 snaps

Last 3:

JW 36-24-30
DS 9-18-20
JJ 12-16-24

JC (FB) x-12-26

It ain’t broke

That said, gonna be fun having Jamo running around soon - could really see this offense taking off

(31 two of the last three and five times on the year, not complaining - I think Ben Johnson is killing it)

The defense is the reason they’re winning. Would be great, though, if we just stuck with run heavy, move the chains with ARSB, and send Jameson on the occasional 9 route when they stack the box.
I would not say the defense is why they are winning. The defense was why we were 1-6, historically pitiful. The last three games they were finally pulling their weight and making some plays which is what the offense needs out of them.

I got persecuted online during preseason for suggesting Justin Jackson was our best RB. His career numbers were notably better than Swift's. Besides the injuries, I just never bought into Swift being one of the NFL's best backs. Never saw great running instincts. Swift was handed an awesome opportunity to run behind an elite OL, and could not hold up.

Watching Jamo will be really fun.

In the last three games Lions have had more sacks, committed fewer penalties and created more turnovers than their opponent. All three of these games have been victories.

This despite being outgained by 135 yds (GB), 85 (Chi), 85 (NY). Being consistently out gained by your opponents is not a good predictor for long term success.

Buffalo's offense particularly its WRs are so much better than our last three opponents. This combined with Josh Allen's running will likely outmatch our defense.

Buffalo and the Lions are in the top third for fewest penalties. The Lions penalty rate has been a source for optimism and can signify good coaching and intelligent players.

Lions' sacks on defense are tied for fifth fewest but on offense they have given up the third fewest sacks. Buffalo is also good on pass protection but generates more sacks on defense than the Lions.

Lions will need to win the turnover battle and the offense will need to score points to keep up for the Lions to have a chance. Expect that the Lions will again be significantly out gained.

Would also expect at least one trick play or fake from Campbell to keep up and also being on national stage. Hopefully, Campbell can keep it in his pants for most of the game. I really did not care for his declining a penalty last game that would have given the Giants a second down and 19 as opposed to a third and 7. That is just not a percentage move.

shoot - Jonah is in the protocol

really hope Evan Brown heals up so we're only missing one OG (Dan Skipper is a decent replacement)

otherwise we're looking at Kayode Awosika (has played 8 snaps) or Logan Stenberg (PFF grade 34.9 - think he had a 0.0 pass blocking grade last time he started)

PlayerPositionInjuryMonday*Tuesday*WednesdayGame Status
Evan BrownCankleNPNP
Charles HarrisDLgroinNPNP
Jonah JacksonGconcussionNPNP
Jeff OkudahCBconcussionNPNP
Josh PaschalDLkneeNPNP
DJ CharkWRankleLPLP
Frank RagnowCfootNPLP
Josh ReynoldsWRbackNPLP
Malcolm RodriguezLBelbowFPFP
D'Andre SwiftRBankle/shoulderFPFP

We'll be missing Okudah and Jonah for sure. Who knows with Evan Brown, maybe he gets in a practice tomorrow and guts it out.

Bills are going to be without their starting C, DE (last year's 1st round pick) and 2-time pro bowl MLB. Lost Micah Hyde for the year earlier.

It's that time of year, everybody is banged up. Lions are no worse off than most teams. Last year we were like 3rd in man games missed, this year we're middle of the pack.

If Brown misses the game i'm hoping they give the Nigerian kid from Buffalo a shot at the job. Logan sucks, let's see if the kid responds. Next man up.

LFG

copycat league

Lions stole this one right off the Giants film study (Big Blue has run 8 OL plays a few times)

Nelson at LT, normal interior 3, Sewell at his normal RT, THEN Decker outside of him, G Kayode Awosika outside of Decker, Brock Wright in the slot/flanker spot.

Just for good measure ARSB comes in from the outside rigfht to smack the DB

What are you going to do about it? (A: not much)

edit: linky

Starters
NT 22 McNeill
DT 26 Buggs
ED 22 Hutchinson
DE 27 Cominsky
LB 23 Rodriguez
LB 28 Anzalone
CB 23 Okudah
CB 25 Jacobs
CB 26 W.Harris
SS 22 Joseph
FS 25 Elliott

average age 24.45

key defensive reserves
ED Bryant 26
LB Barnes 23
LB J.Okwara 24
CB M.Hughes 25
CB Oruwariye 26

average age 24.8

At final cutdown day, the Lions were the third youngest roster in the league at 25.1.

Listed above is the starting 11 versus the Giants and the reserves with the most snaps.

They were historically bad the first 8 weeks. With a mediocre defense we could have started 6-4, maybe even 7-3. But we didn’t & that’s not changing.

You know what is changing? Their ability to play together as a unit.

Their defense is growing up.

Aidan Hutchinson name NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Nice, but Alim McNeill (the PFF DPotW) was more impactful

National media loves getting on the Lions' crank

Three wins and they think Campbell is Halas/Lombardi all rolled into one

national Power Rankings moved Detroit up like 8-10 spots last week

the internet might break if they upset the Bills

This is a mind-blowing stat: The Bills have scored a single second-half touchdown since Week 6 vs. KC.

Week 7: bye

Week 8 vs. GB: 3 points (1 FG)

Week 9 vs. NYJ: 3 points (1 FG)

Week 10 vs. MIN: 6 points (2 FGs)

Week 11 vs. CLE: 18 points (4 FGs 1 TD)

Devin Singletary scored on a 5 yard rush, 2-point conversion failed.

Josh Allen has accounted for zero (0) second half touchdowns in the last 4 games.

Aidan Hutchinson name NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Nice, but Alim McNeill (the PFF DPotW) was more impactful

National media loves getting on the Lions' crank

Three wins and they think Campbell is Halas/Lombardi all rolled into one

national Power Rankings moved Detroit up like 8-10 spots last week

the internet might break if they upset the Bills

This is a mind-blowing stat: The Bills have scored a single second-half touchdown since Week 6 vs. KC.

Week 7: bye

Week 8 vs. GB: 3 points (1 FG)

Week 9 vs. NYJ: 3 points (1 FG)

Week 10 vs. MIN: 6 points (2 FGs)

Week 11 vs. CLE: 18 points (4 FGs 1 TD)

Devin Singletary scored on a 5 yard rush, 2-point conversion failed.

Josh Allen has accounted for zero (0) second half touchdowns in the last 4 games.

Goff is on The Ticket every Tuesday at 10:30. Not sure where this ends up but would love to see Lions have success with Goff. Very honest, and funny during his interviews, just seems like a great guy. Staffords interviews were all the same. Um..we played hard..um just got to keep working ..um

Goff tells exactly what is going on good and bad.

Goff is on The Ticket every Tuesday at 10:30. Not sure where this ends up but would love to see Lions have success with Goff. Very honest, and funny during his interviews, just seems like a great guy. Staffords interviews were all the same. Um..we played hard..um just got to keep working ..um

He’s a good dude. But Kirk Cousibs is a good dude, too. Probably neither ever gonna win a ring as a starter.

People make fun of Cousins and his tower of rocks. Yeah, it’s morbid, but it’s 100% true. Our days are numbered, make the most of every one.

If I had a tower of rocks it would probably only have 240 or 360 stones left. Just one before I die, Lord. Just once. And we both know Jared is probably not an instrument of thy peace when it comes to the Lombardi Trophy.

He’s a good dude. But Kirk Cousibs is a good dude, too. Probably neither ever gonna win a ring as a starter.

People make fun of Cousins and his tower of rocks. Yeah, it’s morbid, but it’s 100% true. Our days are numbered, make the most of every one.

If I had a tower of rocks it would probably only have 240 or 360 stones left. Just one before I die, Lord. Just once. And we both know Jared is probably not an instrument of thy peace when it comes to the Lombardi Trophy.
In the Super Bowl victory parade, may Goff turn away as a photographer falls off the stage onto you.

In the Super Bowl victory parade, may Goff turn away as a photographer falls off the stage onto you.

I went to the Wings victory parade in 1997 - 40 red Mustangs carrying all the players, coaches & owners. Few days earlier I had turned down a $500 front row seat game 4; McCarty after scoring his Cup winner was on the front page of the Free Press, and my buddy was 3 feet away pounding the glass.

The Bad Boys were so great in my late 20s. First title was a few months after I was honorably discharged. Watched every game on PASS.

Will never be anything like the Bless You Boys season. That had been progressing for years. Just a perfect wire to wire season.

I lost my voice during One for the Thumb. Remember my nephews, then in junior high, thinking me and their dad were lunatics. “Guys, it’s just one game.” You don’t get it; this might never happen again.

At the time, I thought I was kidding.

Well Goff has already played in a SuperBowl. Something no other Lion QB has ever done.

Goff may not be the final answer but if Lions draft a QB we could end up like Zack Wilson or Trey Lantz and starting over again. Pickett is not tearing it up. could be another 2-3 year process.

Who is out there as a fA that would be better? Lamar Jackson will be an UFA? Throw the $$$$ at him?

Well Goff has already played in a SuperBowl. Something no other Lion QB has ever done.

Goff may not be the final answer but if Lions draft a QB we could end up like Zack Wilson or Trey Lantz and starting over again. Pickett is not tearing it up. could be another 2-3 year process.

Who is out there as a fA that would be better? Lamar Jackson will be an UFA? Throw the $$$$ at him?

Lamar will get tagged. But even if that were a realistic option, his deal would be an albatross to roster construction. Right back to trying to carry the huge Stafford & Suh contracts right before they restructured the rookie slotting.

IDK, gotta have faith Holmes will get it right. You’re absolutely right, he might whiff. Look at all the draft capital Chicago squandered on Trubisky. But it’s still the best path. IMO

Goff is adequate. Doesn’t elevate his teammates. He is nowhere near - not even close - to being the deep ball passer he was 4-5 years ago. Probably never will be.

I just don’t think he has the moxy to be a SB champ. Hard to define. You got it or you don’t. His confidence ebbs and flows.

I’m fine with him starting next year while they bring along the draft pick, but that’s a delicate thing to balance.

Wonder how much it would be to trade for Tyler Huntley ? Cheaper than first rounders, really liked what I saw from him in relief for Lamar.

I do wonder about Anthony Richardson given that Lamar/Fields/Hurts have all come into the league as underdeveloped guys with great running ability and all have flashed from great to at least very promising. Maybe could be had with the later 1st round pick or maybe even 2nd ? Richardson looks electric with his running and is a big dude as well. That kind of QB, with a great line, decent weapons and what looks to be a very good OC, could be dynamite if it went right

Wonder how much it would be to trade for Tyler Huntley ? Cheaper than first rounders, really liked what I saw from him in relief for Lamar.

I do wonder about Anthony Richardson given that Lamar/Fields/Hurts have all come into the league as underdeveloped guys with great running ability and all have flashed from great to at least very promising. Maybe could be had with the later 1st round pick or maybe even 2nd ? Richardson looks electric with his running and is a big dude as well. That kind of QB, with a great line, decent weapons and what looks to be a very good OC, could be dynamite if it went right

I like Huntley. Has been around the NFL game awhile, put up pretty good numbers when Jackson was hurt. If Jackson signs a long term deal pretty sure Huntley will want out with a chance to make some cash himself.

What is he worth. A second rounder we got from Hock trade? i think so.

I like Huntley. Has been around the NFL game awhile, put up pretty good numbers when Jackson was hurt. If Jackson signs a long term deal pretty sure Huntley will want out with a chance to make some cash himself.

What is he worth. A second rounder we got from Hock trade? i think so.

I’ve been thinking about Huntley to us ever since I saw him last season. I believe he’s a restricted free agent after this season, got to think a few teams will be looking at him. Like you say, and what I like as well, is that he’s been around the NFL for a while now, made some starts, been in a good organisation. His ceiling is too high to remain a backup as a 24 year old in his physical prime. Really good runner, arm for a deep ball and the short and intermediate stuff he flicks out of his wrist with minimal effort.

Last edited:
It is gonna be so loud tomorrow.

The Detroit Lions are trending toward a crowd of more than 66,000 people tomorrow for the Thanksgiving Day game vs. Buffalo. That would track toward the potentially second-highest Lions game attendance in Ford Field history, behind the Chicago Bears game in 2011.

Lions made more mistakes than Bills but played a strong game. Tough loss. Either the Bills are overrated, or we are underrated.
Lions again outgained. (75yds). Turnovers were even. Lions again had fewer penalties than opponent. Though the last penalty against Bryant was significant and dumb.
Thought Goff's throws were not as sharp after his very near INT and he may have lost some confidence thereafter.
Like to hear Campbell's explanation for his clock mgt. Looks like he didn't want to leave any time for Bills but they were shooting themselves in the foot on offense.

Lions continue to improve. Get some more talent on defense and we will be a contender.

Sometimes when the Lions stay with a team that is better it's bc the other team made a bunch of mistakes.

I don't think the Bills played bad at all. The Lions played up to their level.

Thought Ben Johnson called a good game. In game comments were hilarious - people second guess no matter what they try. But instead of turtling up (as they typically do) they stayed aggressive. Kept pushing the ball downfield instead of settling for dump offs and short passes.

End game was a tricky balance - if they convert the pass to Chark then they have the time outs to take shots or run any play they want. They didn’t call them earlier bc they were trying to leave enough time to win but still preserve the FG opportunity to tie.

End of the day the Bills made one more play. Detroit overcame a lot of in game adversity (turnover, missed short FG) & kept battling. Losing sucks but their growth continues.

They can play with anyone.

The thing I like most about this team is the young players are getting better week in and week out. And Brad Holmes has had 2 great drafts. That makes me extremely optimistic about next year's draft when we will have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.

This team just needs more talent on defense to be a legit playoff contender. But I am very happy with how they are playing.

Users who are viewing this thread