What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (37 Viewers)

An Eagles' Win Would Likely Send Sewell, ARSB, and Goff to the Pro Bowl

Penei Sewell was voted a first alternate to the pro bowl, and will go to the pro bowl in Eagles RT Lane Johnson's place with an Eagles' win and SB appearance.

Amon-Ra St. Brown was voted a first alternate to the pro bowl, and will go to the pro bowl in Eagles WR AJ Brown's place with an Eagles' win and SB appearance.

Goff is a **third** alternate, but will also (most likely) be going to the pro bowl in Jalen Hurts' place with an Eagles win and SB appearance. How? Because the two alternates who were voted ahead of him - Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers (wut?) - never accept pro bowl invites anymore.
I wonder how players feel about this. Would they be “awesome I made the Pro Bowl” or “ugh a pointless work thing that I was the back up to the back up option for”?
I think I know which ARSB would say

Penei Sewell was voted a first alternate to the pro bowl, and will go to the pro bowl in Eagles RT Lane Johnson's place with an Eagles' win and SB appearance.

Amon-Ra St. Brown was voted a first alternate to the pro bowl, and will go to the pro bowl in Eagles WR AJ Brown's place with an Eagles' win and SB appearance.

Goff is a **third** alternate, but will also (most likely) be going to the pro bowl in Jalen Hurts' place with an Eagles win and SB appearance. How? Because the two alternates who were voted ahead of him - Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers (wut?) - never accept pro bowl invites anymore.
I wonder how players feel about this. Would they be “awesome I made the Pro Bowl” or “ugh a pointless work thing that I was the back up to the back up option for”?

Huge honor for ARSB & Penei, second year guys trying to establish themselves. The former is back in California working out with his brothers & dad, no days off. The latter is busy with his newborn son but I’m sure it means a lot for him.

Who knows about Jared. Would probably turn up, it’s his third time but first in four years. Good year statistically from a standard stats perspective - top 3 to top 8 in most categories, 5th in QBR (behind only Hurts amongst NFC players.) Think he’s getting married sometime soon - got engaged last summer - but probably feels great to receive the recognition.

I think I know which ARSB would say
Yeah he’s pissed he was an alternate I’m sure. More names to add to his list.

In the present it probably feels a little more like the latter. In the future though I am sure they will appreciate it.

"Amon Ra St Brown, 8x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro, Super Bowl champ and MVP, first ballot Hall of Famer" has a much better ring to it than "Amon Ra St Brown, 7x Pro-Bowl, 2x All-Pro, Super Bowl champ and MVP, first ballot Hall of Famer".

Detroit Lions reportedly hiring Arizona Cardinals' Steve Heiden as TEs coach

The Detroit Lions will have a new tight ends coach in 2023.

The Lions are hiring former Arizona Cardinals assistant Steve Heiden to coach tight ends, ESPN reported Monday.

Heiden's addition is one of several changes expected to the Lions' assistant coaching ranks. Heiden spent the past 10 seasons with the Cardinals, including the past four as tight ends coach.

He played 11 NFL seasons at tight end (1999-2009) with the San Diego Chargers and Cleveland Browns and was taken 10 picks before Lions coach Dan Campbell, another ex-NFL tight end, in the 1999 NFL draft. He started his coaching career at Concordia University in 2012, joining the Cardinals as assistant special teams/assistant tight ends coach a year later.

Heiden replaces Tanner Engstrand, who served as tight ends coach/pass game coordinator last season. Engstrand's role for 2023 is not immediately clear.

The Lions set a franchise record with 12 receiving touchdowns by tight ends this season, despite trading top tight end T.J. Hockenson to the Minnesota Vikings at the trade deadline. Brock Wright and Shane Zylstra had four touchdowns each, Hockenson had three in seven games before his trade, and rookie fifth-round pick James Mitchell had one.

The Lions, coming off a 9-8 season, could return all three of their coordinators for 2023.

Offensive coordinator Ben Johnson will return for a second season as play caller after interviewing for head coaching vacancies with the Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts. Special teams coordinator Dave Fipp is expected back for a third season in that role. And defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn remains on staff for now after interviewing with the Cardinals and Colts. Glenn is one of the top candidates for the Arizona job, NFL Network reported.

The Lions have at least one other opening after firing defensive backs coach Aubrey Pleasant at midseason.

Early Cornerback rankings - PFF

Really enjoyable & informative show but runs an hour so let me break it into segments:
Obviously this will change after the Senior Bowl + the NFL Combine. I'm enjoying getting to know these Corners, this is a really deep class and I'm excited the Lions will be drafting one or two of them.

Last edited:
@davebirkett

Lions QB Jared Goff headed to the Pro Bowl as an alternate. Joins Matthew Stafford as the only Lions QBs since Greg Landry to go.

12:03 PM · Jan 31, 2023

Up to four Pro Bowlers now: Ragnow, Sewell, ARSB, Goff. Plus Raymond got second team All Pro. I know, I know, NBD, nobody cares. But we've shut up (deservedly) so many times in the last 5 years it's really nice to see the recognition.

edit: this is the first time since 1971 the Lions have had 4 (or more) Pro Bowlers

Last edited:
I know, I know, NBD, nobody cares.
What do you mean?

How could you not be electrified at the prospect of watching a skills competition with the elite AFC Pro Bowl QB duo of Derek Carr & Tyler Huntley???

That's appointment television right there. I'm.busting out my betamax to record it just in case my TiVo breaks down.

I know, I know, NBD, nobody cares.
What do you mean?

How could you not be electrified at the prospect of watching a skills competition with the elite AFC Pro Bowl QB duo of Derek Carr & Tyler Huntley???

That's appointment television right there. I'm.busting out my betamax to record it just in case my TiVo breaks down.

I’m pretty sure the last Pro Bowl I watched featured an AFC starting running back tandem of Franco Harris & O.J. Simpson. Big fan of both when I was a little kid.

Every North American team sport all star game is farcical, that aspect isn’t unique to the Pro Bowl. It’s mostly about fan experience geared towards children: slam dunk contest, home run derby, skills competition.

Sustainable interest is inextricably linked to families having shared generational ties. We root for the teams because our fathers and grandfathers did (though in my case my mom was the sports nut; dad played quarterback in h.s. but was a casual forever.)

My mom loved all sports. I once got spanked (#truestory 😂) bc I forgot to wake her from a nap in time to see the beginning of an ALCS game. My uncle, a lifelong mentor, was a tortured Lions fanatic. He took me to my first games at Tiger Stadium and the Silverdome. One of the biggest thrills of my life was meeting Lem Barney (he was a patient being fitted for contact lenses.)

Anyway…lots of people became for different reasons I’m sure. There is certainly no shortage of degenerates who just want some action. But the familial ties and growing the game by making it fun for kids are a pretty solid reason to keep Pro Bowl (or any ASG contest) going.

Lions Assistant head coach/RBs coach Duce Staley is leaving to join Frank Reich's Carolina Panthers staff.
The Duce is loose.

Somehow I don't think D'Andre Swift is crying about this tonight.

I agree. Those two are complete opposites personalities. Swift is very talented, but needs someone more laid back to relate to. Swift was going backwards and this gives him new life.

Lions Assistant head coach/RBs coach Duce Staley is leaving to join Frank Reich's Carolina Panthers staff.
The Duce is loose.

I agree. Those two are complete opposites personalities. Swift is very talented, but needs someone more laid back to relate to. Swift was going backwards and this gives him new life.
I think having Duce as a coach will
The Duce is loose.

I think Swift will be happy to have a different coach, but I'm not sure it will make him a better RB. He makes some bad choices when picking a lane to go upfield.

St Brown Brothers w/ guest DJ Chark - DJ Chark trash talk w/ Amon-Ra St. Brown, Dan Campbell vs Urban Meyer, Jameson Williams 4.19 40 time

0:00 - Intro 0:30 - 1st Super Bowl Memory 1:10 - Favorite away stadium 1:55 - Favorite artist 2:28 - Hardest hit Chark has felt 3:18 - Favorite movie 3:46 - Favorite player growing up 5:33 - Best LSU players 6:22 - Baby Shark nickname 7:24 - Amon-Ra 1st Pro Bowl 10:40 - Chark's mindset going into free agency 13:33 - Hard Knocks had coaches acting different 15:00 - Why Lions training camp is different 16:47 - EQ and DJ played each other in college 18:53 - Jamo vs DJ in a race 19:35 - Lions offensive gameplan 21:40 - USC vs ND in the NFL 24:00 - Chark's lessons learned from playing with 8 QBs in 5 years 28:02 - What it's like playing for Dan Campbell & Ben Johnson 30:53 - The real Urban Meyer experience 36:42 - Arian Foster says the NFL is scripted 38:40 - DJ and Amon-Ra trash talk 44:03 - Outro

I struggle to see how a GM is going to sell an Aaron Glenn hire to the fans - "This guy oversaw the worse defense in the NFL the last two years, so he's the perfect choice to lead us to glory!!!"

I mean, I think he's actually a really good coach and has head coach-leadership qualities, but it seems like a really tough sell to a new fan base.

I don't know how it would work moneywise with ARSB and Penei needing new contracts in a year or 2 but if Tee Higgins is available for pick 6, I think the Lions have to deeply consider that. He would perfectly pair with ARSB and Jamo. With those weapons, I think Goff could absolutely play at a Pro Bowl level and a win a SB.

I don't know how it would work moneywise with ARSB and Penei needing new contracts in a year or 2 but if Tee Higgins is available for pick 6, I think the Lions have to deeply consider that. He would perfectly pair with ARSB and Jamo. With those weapons, I think Goff could absolutely play at a Pro Bowl level and a win a SB.

I’m kind of hoping there is 1-2 QBs left at 6 and we can swing a trade with ATL for 8/44 or CAR for 8/39. Gives them Levis or Richardson and we stick with Bresee/Gonzales or even go B2B with say Witherspoon/Porter at 8/9 + 18.

Higgins would be an amazing addition but we’re probably looking at 5/$100m to lock him up. Would rather fill up the gaping holes on defense.

ETA: if he falls (& presuming we don’t resign Chark), Quentin Johnston at 1.18 would be a much cheaper solution for the X WR. Might have to move up 2-3 spots though.

I’m kind of hoping there is 1-2 QBs left at 6 and we can swing a trade with ATL for 8/44 or CAR for 8/39. Gives them Levis or Richardson and we stick with Bresee/Gonzales or even go B2B with say Witherspoon/Porter at 8/9 + 18.

Higgins would be an amazing addition but we’re probably looking at 5/$100m to lock him up. Would rather fill up the gaping holes on defense.

ETA: if he falls (& presuming we don’t resign Chark), Quentin Johnston at 1.18 would be a much cheaper solution for the X WR. Might have to move up 2-3 spots though.
I favor this outcome as well. It would be a blessing if we could trade down with ATL or Carolina. For many years prior to Holmes we have desired a trade down but there was no interest; it would be a further sign that the Lions' luck and future have changed if we can trade down with a QB hungry team. There will be plenty of good defensive players available at the ATL or Carolina pick.

I absolutely am in favor of trading back. Not sure we are going to be fortunate enough for that to work out but let’s cross our fingers. Early opinions seems to be there are 3 potential franchise QBs and 2 elite defensive prospects which could leave Detroit picking from the start of a whole new tier which is never ideal.

As for Johnston, I’m not a big fan and wouldn’t be happy with him at 18. WR isn’t a huge need and I would only put that kind of investment into one that we know is a stud like Higgins.

We just need to either re-sign Chark or get a FA equivalent and maybe draft a new prospect in the middle to late rounds. I don’t feel we really need to do much with the WR room. Higgins is of course a great player but given we are pretty good there, I don’t think it would be a good way of spending our assets. He’s better than how much he would our O better, if that makes sense.

They both have two years left plus a 5th year option. So there is plenty of time

I would trade 6 for Higgins. Big physical target, Lions could get back with a run of the mill TE with those 3 WRs

They both have two years left plus a 5th year option. So there is plenty of time

I would trade 6 for Higgins. Big physical target, Lions could get back with a run of the mill TE with those 3 WRs
Amon Ra doesn’t have a 5th year optio. It is probably best to resign stars before they enter their final season.

It is possible the best draft prospect falls to the Lions for the third year in a row. The best scenerio is Jalen Carter is somehow still there as teams go QB and Edge.

We just need to either re-sign Chark or get a FA equivalent and maybe draft a new prospect in the middle to late rounds. I don’t feel we really need to do much with the WR room. Higgins is of course a great player but given we are pretty good there, I don’t think it would be a good way of spending our assets. He’s better than how much he would our O better, if that makes sense.

WR is a tough position to judge. We know exactly how Chark fits in and he is starting to gel with Goff. Goff in his entire career in college and in the pros has always taken time to gain trust in WR and use them effectively. Goff is reluctant to throw balls unless he knows exactly what his target is going to do. Eventhough some like TJ was talented, Goff did not trust him. Just sign Chark as he wants to be here and he fits in and he is really not that high dollar, $8-9M for three years.

It is possible the best draft prospect falls to the Lions for the third year in a row. The best scenerio is Jalen Carter is somehow still there as teams go QB and Edge.
Unlikely but possible- there is that outside shot. We just want to see lots of trade ups for QB. I also would love to trade back but Witherspoon seems like an acceptable worst case scenario.

Last edited:
A couple of mocks also have Carter dropping to 6, with one of them having the Packers moving up to 7 and drafting a WR. The Raiders would get Aaron Rodgers in return along with a 2024 2nd. This echoes big money going on the Raiders to be ARs next team.

Pre-combine drafts are a good way to get a feel for where players are at perception wise - Shrine & Senior Bowl def helped a few guys stock - but March 3-5 will initiate the really big movements.

Other than 3-4 IOL and a couple excellent online blocking TEs I have very little interest in any offensive draft candidates.

Edit - OK, 6th round QB Clayton Tune is interesting just from a tool’s perspective

Would love to see 6-7 defensive players taken if they stay at 8 picks (goes to 9-10 if they trade back.)

OFF TOPIC

When did duh•TROIT become DEE•troit?

Should we blame Mason?

Saw a Mock today in which Bruce fell to the 6th and the Panthers moved up

9 + 61

Man seems light but the Draft Pick Value Chart says it’s about right

I say if we can’t get a 1st & 2nd we should stay there

Jovan Witherspoon + O’Cyrus Torrence would be a great combo to start with. Little early on current projections but I think it’s worth it just to get the best man cover corner and the best IOL.

Should be about 6-7 CBs who could go in the first: Witherspoon, Gonzales, Porter Jr, Forbes, Ringo, S/CB Branch, possibly Ricks.
Could take Garrett Williams at 48 or 55, basically a red shirt investment bc he’ll still be rehabbing. Or grab a S like Battle or the Penn State dude.

Exactly one (1) NFL team scored five (5) offensive touchdowns versus the Eagles over their 20 game season

we the Detroit Lions stop playing with us I don’t even watch tv but I heard none of y’all picked us don’t worry about these tears it’s al dog in this mug

9 + 61

Jovan Witherspoon + O’Cyrus Torrence would be a great combo to start with. Little early on current projections but I think it’s worth it just to get the best man cover corner and the best IOL.

Should be about 6-7 CBs who could go in the first: Witherspoon, Gonzales, Porter Jr, Forbes, Ringo, S/CB Branch, possibly Ricks.
Could take Garrett Williams at 48 or 55, basically a red shirt investment bc he’ll still be rehabbing. Or grab a S like Battle or the Penn State dude.
I assume you mean Bryce fell to 6. Lions could get way more than 9 and 61 for Bryce Young.

NFL.com mock by Chad Reuter has the Lions go with Gonzalez at 6 and then both Witherspoon and Branch were there at 18 (he had us taking Mayer though). I think this guy is way off base but I would be over the moon if we could get Gonzalez and Branch/Witherspoon.

9 + 61

I assume you mean Bryce fell to 6. Lions could get way more than 9 and 61 for Bryce Young.

Yeah I would think if the Panthers are the trading partner the bare minimum is #9 + #39

NFL.com mock by Chad Reuter has the Lions go with Gonzalez at 6 and then both Witherspoon and Branch were there at 18 (he had us taking Mayer though). I think this guy is way off base but I would be over the moon if we could get Gonzalez and Branch/Witherspoon.

It’s still hard to project that pre-combine but off film Witherspoon is an order of magnitude better at being a press corner (if that’s part of your defensive philosophy.)

Gonzales is the clear #2 CB in this class IMO, Cam Smith & JPJ are a coin flip at 3/4. I get why everyone loves Branch’s versatility but I’m not sure he’ll have as much impact as those four.

Watching Nick Bolton last night has me excited about the possibility of getting Trenton Simpson at 18. Next best cover + LB who is a good all around backer is Drew Sanders and he’s probably not there mid-second (whereas there will still be good CB/S at 48 & 55.)

if you enjoy NFL mock draft simulators, the PFF rankings tool have some huge post-Senior Bowl swings

seeing far different results today (was updated overnight) and I think it's a truer reflection of where things might shake out

of course they'll be another huge swing post-Combine but I think it's super interesting to note who is rising and who is falling early in the process

PFF has an article up on the biggest draft mistake for every team in the last 5 years.

Detroit:
From 2018-2020, the Lions had six top-50 picks. This is how they utilized them:

C Frank Ragnow (Pick 20, 2018)

RB Kerryon Johnson (Pick 43, 2018)

TE T.J. Hockenson (Pick 8, 2019)

LB Jahlani Tavai (Pick 43, 2019)

CB Jeffrey Okudah (Pick 3, 2020)

RB D’Andre Swift (Pick 35, 2020)

For those scoring at home, the Lions used five of those six picks on the four lowest-paid positions in the NFL. The only way it could have been worse is if they drafted a kicker. And even the pick of a cornerback in 2020 was debatable given Matthew Stafford had one foot out the door with Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert still on the board.

My dream draft plan:

DBs and D-lineman
Rinse and repeat - would love to see two of each after 81 picks
LB late rounds - unless they like a hybrid cover guy like Henley, Overshawn or Simpson as the 5th Day 1 & Day 2 pick
G if one falls or maybe two versatile OL in the 5th/6th
QB project like Tune with the last pick
(or Jake Moody for the capper bc I miss having a Hanson/Prater kind of guy)

PFF Mock Draft Trends (all players in which Detroit is a top 3 landing spot)

Player
School
Position
PFF Big Board Ranking
Percentage Mocked to Lions
Jalen CarterGeorgiaDI212
Devon WitherspoonIllinoisCB640
Christian GonzalesOregonCB1031
Tyree WilsonTexas TechED717
Lukas Van NessIowaED1212
Calijah KanceyPittsburghDI1412
Brian BranchAlabamaDB914
Myles MurphyClemsonED1918
Joey Porter JrPenn StateCB2121
Brian BreseeClemsonDI1639
Bijan RobinsonTexasRB2722
Michael MayerNotre DameTE2811
Nolan SmithGeorgiaED268
Mazi SmithMichiganDI3521
Tuli TuipulotuUSCED437
Emmanuel ForbesSouth CarolinaCB4229
Daiyan HenleyWashington StateLB3816
Karl BrooksBowling GreenED487
Felix Anudike-UzomahKansas StateED4614
Garrett WilliamsSyracuseCB4920
Tyrique StevensonMiamiCB3910
Jahmyr GibbsAlabamaRB5122
Keion WhiteGeorgia TechED5313
Trenton SimpsonClemsonLB5916
Sam LaPortaIowaTE5712
Siaki IkaBaylorNT5510
Zach CharbonnetMichigan/UCLARB6125
Sydney BrownIllinoisS5818
Eli RicksAlabamaCB6113
Jack CampbellIowaLB6429
Tre'vius Hodges-TomlinsonTCUCB609
Keeanu BentonWisconsinDI7010
Mike MorrisMichiganED6714
Jammie RobinsonFlorida StateS658
Cam SmithSouth CarolinaCB6916
Kelee RingoGeorgiaCB7521
Jordan BattleAlabamaS7414
Darnell WashingtonGeorgiaTE7216
DeMarvion OvershownTexasLB8214
Darius RushSouth CarolinaCB8019
Moro OjomoTexasLB8513
J.L. SkinnerBoise StateCB8724
Jaquelin RoyLSUDI9312
Drew SandersArkansasLB9515
Tank BigsbyAuburnRB8314
Hendon HookerTennesseeQB9412
Noah SewellOregonLB10514
Sean TuckerSyracuseRB11613
Keondre CoburnTexasDI11823
Ji'Ayir BrownPenn StateS12013
Brodric MartinWestern KentuckyDI11512
Jacob SladeMichigan StateDI15412
Jake HaenerFresno StateQB14510
Aidan O'ConnellPurdueQB1329
Chandler ZavalaNorth Carolina StateG1399
Henry To'oTo'oAlabamaLB16014
Rashad Torrence IIFloridaS1569
Deuce VaughnKansas StateHB15910
Clayton TuneHoustonQB18322
Josh WyleCincinnatiTE1799
Nick BroekerOle MissG19318
Braeden DanielsUtahT18110
Stetson BennettGeorgiaQB1649
Ronnie BellMichiganWR19118
Isaiah LandFlorida A&MED19410
Dylan HortonTCUED19011
Ali GayeLSUED18811
Kenny McIntoshGeorgiaRB18214
Asim RichardsNorth CarolinaT19511
Brenton Cox JrFloridaED1978
Ryan HayesMichiganT18719
Jake MoodyMichiganK29628

Last edited:
I'm in the all defense first round opinion, but copying over from Travdog's mock draft/Bobby Laynes possibility for the 2nd round (instead of a TE):

(BL): the Lions don't have a RG. Evan Brown is going to go get himself a money bag, Big V is a cap cut, and there's literally no one else on the roster.

Steve Avila G TCU, played both Center and Guard in college. High floor player who is ready to start week 1. Older rookie at 23, but that's probably less of an issue for OL. Better pass clocker than run blocker, but that may also be a function of TCU's offense
This guy would be perfect for the Lions at #48. Age is less of a factor if he is projected as a week 1 starter. Could even slide over to center if Ragnow keeps having a bum toe.

I'm in the all defense first round opinion, but copying over from Travdog's mock draft/Bobby Laynes possibility for the 2nd round (instead of a TE):

(BL): the Lions don't have a RG. Evan Brown is going to go get himself a money bag, Big V is a cap cut, and there's literally no one else on the roster.

Steve Avila G TCU, played both Center and Guard in college. High floor player who is ready to start week 1. Older rookie at 23, but that's probably less of an issue for OL. Better pass clocker than run blocker, but that may also be a function of TCU's offense
This guy would be perfect for the Lions at #48. Age is less of a factor if he is projected as a week 1 starter. Could even slide over to center if Ragnow keeps having a bum toe.

Second highest ranked guard behind O'Cyrus Torrence. I actually wouldn't mind if we went G at #18 - get that 5th year option and he said at the Senior Bowl really wants to play for the Lions (culture, great OL, et al.) Then again they might take care of that situation before the draft.

Users who are viewing this thread